Author Topic: Spurs-Hornets game 3  (Read 10348 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs-Hornets game 3
« on: May 08, 2008, 11:31:56 PM »
The Spurs improved the two areas that hurt them most in NO.  Turnovers with the resulting fast break points.  And second chance points.  The local radio was saying on pregame show that Hornets had outscored teh Spurs in point off turnovers by somethibng like 44-17 in the first 2 games.  Also, especially in game 1, teh Hornets got lots of offensive boards.  Tonight both of those things reversed.

The Spurs need to quit waiting on Parker and Manu to drive the ball into the lane and then pass the ball out -- the Hornets are daring the Spurs to shoot from outside -- put some guys on the court who can make some outside shots and it will force the Hornets to move out more. 

Actually that was the problem.  The guys who normally hit those jumpers were missing them.  The Spurs were getting open looks and missing, then they became hesitant and would pump fake their way into being guarded.  Tonight you saw the difference when the shooters became more decisive.  And teh passing was a little crisper.

And the duel between Parker & Paul was awesome.    :o
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Re: Spurs-Hornets game 3
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:37:24 PM »
No time to post much tonight, but man!!!!!! That was an awesome game! The duel between Parker and Paul was as good as it gets, but in the middle of that, somebody forgot about Ginobili, and he just stabbed them in the heart, incredibly fun game to watch, props on the win Lurker, X3.
Dan

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:53:03 PM »
The guys stepped up tonight and that is a good sign to see that they are shaking off the scare.  As Pop said, it was the players decisions that made the difference.  6 pts off of turn overs instead of the 22 pts we had been averaging.  Notice what I said, what Pop said, THE PLAYERS DECISIONS, were better this game - I know everyone here knows what I am pointing out, because you know one nutjob is gonna say it was not about the players and instead about how Pop coached.  Man look at the number our big three had tonight and tell me how anyone could think it was not on the players shoulders for losses in games 1 and 2. 

Still got to get the next game at home.  hope our guys can get even better in game 4.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:10:11 AM »
^^ The players decided their three pointers would fall.
The players decided to have Manu play point guard for a quarter.
The players decided to keep up the O in the 3rd qtr instead of playing Martyball offense.
 :D

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 02:19:48 AM »
The players decided to keep up the O in the 3rd qtr instead of playing Martyball offense.

Pop made one adjustment Reality.  Starting Manu.

As for the rest, well - yes, you dork, the players DECIDED, which shots to take.  As michael finley stated AFTER the game they felt more confident in their shot selection - yes, reality, that would mean they DECIDED which shots to take.  Yes Manu stepped up, and was more aggressive - did Pop coach that?  After the game Pop was asked what he did to get better spacing, his answer - nothing, because when you lose you have horrible spacing, when you win you have great spacing, as per Pop, he changed NOTHING about the spacing.    you know what made the shots better for the Spurs reality, the shots were FALLING IN!!  Now let's see, you have a coach stating he made no adjustments for spacing and it was better decision making on the players part, AND you have a player telling you that it was a matter of confidence that help the game.  The stupid thing is you make fun of the education in MY state and yet my kids could figure out the difference in this game from the previous games.  I know, you'll come back with some moronic response that you THINK is the perfect rebuttal to prove your point, and yet again it will only prove how truly lost your are.  Dude, do me a favor and stay off our wagon.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 06:23:42 AM »

As for the rest, well - yes, you dork, the players DECIDED, which shots to take.  As michael finley stated AFTER the game they felt more confident in their shot selection - yes, reality, that would mean they DECIDED which shots to take.  Yes Manu stepped up, and was more aggressive - did Pop coach that?  After the game Pop was asked what he did to get better spacing, his answer - nothing, because when you lose you have horrible spacing, when you win you have great spacing, as per Pop, he changed NOTHING about the spacing.    you know what made the shots better for the Spurs reality, the shots were FALLING IN!!  Now let's see, you have a coach stating he made no adjustments for spacing and it was better decision making on the players part, AND you have a player telling you that it was a matter of confidence that help the game.  The stupid thing is you make fun of the education in MY state and yet my kids could figure out the difference in this game from the previous games.  I know, you'll come back with some moronic response that you THINK is the perfect rebuttal to prove your point, and yet again it will only prove how truly lost your are.  Dude, do me a favor and stay off our wagon.

Tell us how you really feel abut this, X3.

But honestly, of course, it was Pop.  Pop coached the  players into being more confident.  He also coached them how to make their shots fall instead of rim out.  And I really liked the way he coached them into more hustle and intensity.  With his outstanding coaching he could have taken the Miami Heat to a three peat.  With Pop's coaching Chuck Norris would never have had to roundhouse kick anyone...they would have fallen down just looking into his eyes.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 09:06:19 AM »

Tell us how you really feel abut this, X3.

But honestly, of course, it was Pop.  Pop coached the  players into being more confident.  He also coached them how to make their shots fall instead of rim out.  And I really liked the way he coached them into more hustle and intensity.  With his outstanding coaching he could have taken the Miami Heat to a three peat.  With Pop's coaching Chuck Norris would never have had to roundhouse kick anyone...they would have fallen down just looking into his eyes.

When you put Chuck Norris into the reasoning it all makes so much sense now...

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 10:00:15 AM »
I only got to catch the 1st half so I don't have much to add other then the Spurs looked like they were about to go down 3-0 up until that last little spurt before half with Manu's Derek Fisher like shot from the corner.  They looked pretty average in the first half so I was surprised to find out that they won this morning.  Props for the win.

Did notice that both Parker and Manu stepped up in the end and the Spurs won (obviously).  So does Pop get credit for this?  Or was Pop doing his job but his two star players not playing at a high level?  What was the real difference in the 2nd half as opposed to the first two games? 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 10:30:34 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 10:20:41 AM »
I only got to catch the 1st have so I don't have much to add other then the Spurs looked like they were about to go down 3-0 up until that last little spurt before half with Manu's Derek Fisher like shot from the corner.  They looked pretty average in the first half so I was surprised to find out that they won this morning.  Props for the win.

Did notice that both Parker and Manu stepped up in the end and the Spurs won (obviously).  So does Pop get credit for this?  Or was Pop doing his job but his two star players not playing at a high level?  What was the real difference in the 2nd half as opposed to the first two games? 

the Spurs were ready for the Hornets to jump at the start of the third, and despite the whistles they kept calm and kept playing their game.  That and that the Spurs defense finally seemed to tire out the Hornets as well.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 11:04:18 AM »
All these rational reasons for the Spurs to suddenly play "Spurs" basketball.   :D   :D

Maybe, just maybe, playing at home gave them that additional edge. Somehow, the home basket appears juuuust a shade larger then the Hornet hoop.

But a quick review of the box score clearly shows where the Spurs outdid the Hornets in this game. Three point shooting: Spurs were 11-25, and the Hornets shot only 2-11 beyond the arc. Every other stat was so even, it was almost odd.

The problem the Hornets have, and unfortunately I can vouch for this, is that if Peja gets intimidated, he will disappear. And there goes their top three point shooter with him. It is very amusing to see Peja standing at the free throw line if the Spurs are the ones shooting freebies. Watch him next time. Not only won't he even try for the rebound, he starts back up court as soon as the last free throw is released.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 11:08:08 AM »
All these rational reasons for the Spurs to suddenly play "Spurs" basketball.   :D   :D

Maybe, just maybe, playing at home gave them that additional edge. Somehow, the home basket appears juuuust a shade larger then the Hornet hoop.

But a quick review of the box score clearly shows where the Spurs outdid the Hornets in this game. Three point shooting: Spurs were 11-25, and the Hornets shot only 2-11 beyond the arc. Every other stat was so even, it was almost odd.

The problem the Hornets have, and unfortunately I can vouch for this, is that if Peja gets intimidated, he will disappear. And there goes their top three point shooter with him. It is very amusing to see Peja standing at the free throw line if the Spurs are the ones shooting freebies. Watch him next time. Not only won't he even try for the rebound, he starts back up court as soon as the last free throw is released.

I hope your right Jo...errr...JazzMal, I think the Spurs need to play this the way they used played LA.  Let the star get his points and shut everyone else down.  This next game is going to be tough.  I don't care if we win by 1 point as long as we win.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 11:14:25 AM »

I hope your right Jo...errr...JazzMal, I think the Spurs need to play this the way they used played LA.  Let the star get his points and shut everyone else down.  This next game is going to be tough.  I don't care if we win by 1 point as long as we win.

While it is clear which team has the superior playoff mentally in this series, the way the Hornets stopped what the Spurs were trying to do in the New Orleans' games must be troublesome to Popovich and his team. If the Hornets can regroup and ignore the road issues that seems to plague this team at times, it is possible for them to take the next game - it would not surprise me.

You have to remember that the Hornets were just barely knocked out from being the best team in the West going into the playoffs. You can't do that, especially this year, with smoke and mirrors. The Spurs had better play perfect basketball or they may find themselves in a 1-3 hole and be done for the year.   
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 11:14:46 AM »
Way to pull out that much needed "W", props to Lurker and X3 for a nice win.  Man, I was nervous for you guys at the start of the game when they came out flat.  Fortunately, they knuckled down and played tough throughout.  Bowen and Finley hit some much needed open 3's to keep the Hornet's honest on D.  Watching Parker and Paul attack relentlessly was very entertaining especially in that one series of plays in the second half (3rd qtr. I think) where they just kept racing back at forth to the hoop.  No doubt after watching that that those two along with Deron Williams are the 3 best pg's in the league.  Great game to watch.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 11:23:01 AM »

No Jazzmal, it was Greg Popavich who decided the Spurs treys would fall.
It was not Greg Popavich who put Bowen on Peja.  That would indicate an adjustment, and we must believe Pop made NO adjustments between games at New Orl and last nights game 3 at San An.

On to some realness..

Defining the following as:
1. 4down, defined as any play that put Duncan on the low block, gave him an entry pass, and resulted in a double by the Hornets.

2. Pick and roll, pretty self explanatory. Think all of these but one were run on the side, not up high.

3. All others, either set inbounds plays or variations on a motion offense or give and go type stuff the Spurs run from time to time.

The stats....

First half:

4down: run 8 times, resulted in three baskets and one trip to the FT line for Tim (he made 1-2). 50% scoring rate.

Pick and roll: run 20 times, resulted in 13 baskets (65% scoring rate)

All others: run 8 times, resulting in 5 baskets (62.5% success rate for buckets).

The above numbers do not include turnovers in transition before a play could be determined or the first roughly 4 minutes of the first quarter.

Fourth quarter:

4down: run five times, resulting in one basket (Bowen three pointer). (20% success rate).

Pick and roll: run 6 times, resulting in 4 scores (67% success)

All others: 11 plays, resulting in 5 baskets (45% success rate).

--------------------------------------

Numbers from third not available at press time, from what I remember it was heavy on the pick and roll and a little of the flex as well and was working good for us.

The point being, we went away from Duncan on the low block so much tonight, and shredded NO with the pick and roll (in quarters 1,2, and 4 we basically scored on 17 of 26 trips we ran it - that's 65% of the time we got a bucket or two points at the FT line).
NO seems intent on the hard double on Tim every trip, but their defense is much more porous against the pick and roll, and contrary to some opinions that they would just pack it in the lane and make us shoot, Spurs actually got quite a few looks in the lane tonight.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 11:58:52 AM »
I suppose Manu's poor performance in games 1 and 2 had nothing to do with the fact that the Hornets were able to maintain a zone throughout most of those games and in game 3 actaully got worn out because the zone could not be maintained due to the disruption that Manu caused by scoring 31.  Parker had not been able to perfom the pick as he did last night because there were no other real threats in the first two games, the Hornets were able to clog the lane and stand their ground.  However when the big three start stepping up and scoring 70+ points combined it makes it hard for ANY team to run a zone on us.  They have to man up or else get 3's dropped on them.  That is why Pop answered he changed nothing on spacing - because the only real difference in spacing is that the Hornets had to move away from the zone to man because our shots were going in. 

I agree the hornets play pretty tough.  anybody else notice the elbows CP3 gets away with when he drives in?  Where's Bob Horry when you need him to drop a Nash on CP3?   ;)

Home cooking is always better.  Yes, I would imagine that the hoop looks bigger at home than it does on the road.