Author Topic: Wow...still no threads about Kobe getting the MVP?  (Read 16723 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wow...still no threads about Kobe getting the MVP?
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2008, 12:44:41 PM »
In fact I was saying ALL 3 of them do those things except I don't believe KG and Duncan have a killer instinct (this playoffs have proved that yet again).

Again...Please tell me what puts Duncan and KG on a higher level then Kobe Bryant with out using your personal hatred for him.  You don't have to respond right away but sometime between now and when you fall asleep watching Murder She Wrote.

Please see thread on Laker smugness.

Back-to-back MVPs and 3 finals MVPs = no killer instinct?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2008, 12:47:59 PM »
In fact I was saying ALL 3 of them do those things except I don't believe KG and Duncan have a killer instinct (this playoffs have proved that yet again).

Again...Please tell me what puts Duncan and KG on a higher level then Kobe Bryant with out using your personal hatred for him.  You don't have to respond right away but sometime between now and when you fall asleep watching Murder She Wrote.

How is this "Laker smugness" when these same thoughts are echo'd by sports writers across the country?  I am not the only person saying this.  I wasn't even the first person to say this.  Maybe you can chalk some of Randy's comments up to Laker smugness but this is far from 'Laker Smugness' I think maybe you need to take this into consideration as a legit observation held by many people outside of the Laker nation.

Back to back MVPs doesn't equal killer instinct.  Does anyone believe Steve Nash has a killer instinct?  He is a back to back MVP winner as well.  3 Finals MVPs also doesn't equal killer instinct because in those 3 years they won the title it wasn't a heavy battle up until the last minute.  The Nets and Cavs were dispatched really quickly.   I guess you could say that would lead one to believe Tim has killer instinct but at the same time I can name a number of series, including the current NO/SA one, that show that he doesn't have killer instinct.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 12:54:21 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2008, 12:58:54 PM »

How is this "Laker smugness" when these same thoughts are echo'd by sports writers across the country?  I am not the only person saying this.  I wasn't even the first person to say this.  Maybe you can chalk some of Randy's comments up to Laker smugness but this is far from 'Laker Smugness' I think maybe you need to take this into consideration as a legit observation held by many people outside of the Laker nation.

Back to back MVPs doesn't equal killer instinct.  Does anyone believe Steve Nash has a killer instinct?  He is a back to back MVP winner as well.  3 Finals MVPs also doesn't equal killer instinct because in those 3 years they won the title it wasn't a heavy battle up until the last minute.  The Nets and Cavs were dispatched really quickly.   I guess you could say that would lead one to believe Tim has killer instinct but at the same time I can name a number of series, including the current NO/SA one, that show that he doesn't have killer instinct.

And where exactly are these quotes of others questioning Duncan's killer instincts?  I haven't seen any sportswriters saying that.  Are you using Reality's inside sources again?

And yes it is Laker smugness to just assume that Kobe is on a higher level than any other player.  Even to the point of calling out to other all-NBA players in the process.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2008, 01:02:29 PM »

And where exactly are these quotes of others questioning Duncan's killer instincts?  I haven't seen any sportswriters saying that.  Are you using Reality's inside sources again?

And yes it is Laker smugness to just assume that Kobe is on a higher level than any other player.  Even to the point of calling out to other all-NBA players in the process.

When I have time to search for them, I will.  Though you could probably look at ESPN's page at the shot they had up of Tim and Parker on the bench with a comment along the lines of "this is not how you want your star players to look on the bench"

Dan Patrick also questioned it on his radio show this morning as well.

JJ Adande has done it in the LA Times.

I forget the name of the writer who came up with the 'Milk Money' line that W.O.W likes to use so much.  He could probably tell you.

You can't really get it both ways Lurker.  Duncan can't be painted as the nicest guy in the league and one that has ice running through his veins at the same time.  Michael Jordan was regarded as a competitive a-hole.  Kobe as well.  Sam Cassell who use to be a big time clutch playoff performer, same thing.   How about Gary Payton and Reggie Miller? You have to be somewhat of an a-hole for people to say you have ice in your veins.

I never said Kobe was on a higher level then those players.  I said they were on the same level.  Don't pull a JoMal on me here.  Not only was it clear the first time I posted it I went back again and said "In fact I was saying ALL 3 of them do those things".  Nowhere did I say Kobe was better then Duncan or Garnett.  Not in this thread.  I've never once said Kobe Bryant is better then Tim Duncan ever in my life.  I like Kobe Bryant more but I never said that he is on a level that Duncan could never touch, EVER.  My question to Jomal is "how are they on a higher level then Kobe"  Not "Kobe is on a higher level then both of them, prove me wrong"
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 01:07:45 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2008, 01:13:34 PM »
All you have to do is Google Tim Duncan is soft and you will get your answer.  I can't believe you think Laker fans are the only ones that call him soft.  ESPN ran a cover of KG yelling in TD's ear talking about his demeanor, same goes for DRob in regards to questioning his heart and drive as it pertains to NBA basketball.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2008, 01:15:39 PM »
At the risk of sounding "smug" (man, the board is hyper sensitive these days), I think Kobe has the most drive and killer instinct of any player in the game today.  I don't think you will find too many objective coaches, players, GM's, towel boys, media types, etc. who would disagree with that statement.  Kobe deserved the MVP this year.  Chris Paul deserved it as well and I was convinced the media would give it to whoever's team won the west and that's what happened.  

This thread started as commending Kobe for winning the MVP.  This is a freakin' NBA discussion board last I checked, shouldn't we be discussing who win's the MVP?  Ziggy jumps down westkoast's throat for saying you have to respect Kobe's drive.  That's absurd.  Of course no one has to respect anything, but clearly westkoast was using it as a conversational figure of speech.  Don't we all say that phrase all of the time?  "Gee, the Blazers didn't make the playoffs, but you have to respect what they did this year".  "Man, Eddie Murphy's put out a ton of crappy flicks this past decade, but you've got to respect his work in Trading Places and Beverly Hills Cop".  C'mon guys, do we really take that so literally to mean BOW DOWN AND SHOW RESPECT, I COMMAND YOU! Give me a frickin' break and get over yourself.   Talk about hubris.  

Regarding "ethics", everyone's got their own way of how they view morals and ethics and project their judgements on people.  Kobe's major ethical mistake was infidelity.  We don't know what KG and Duncan do in their free time.  Sure, they seem like good guys, but infidelity is the rule in the NBA, not the exception.  If someone is so high and mighty that they hate everyone who has committed adultry, then they have no business supporting the NBA.  It is a breeding ground for infidelity not much different than being a touring rock star.  For that matter, they really have no business supporting 90% of rock 'n roll musicians either.  

The ultimate NBA poster boy, Michael Jordan, cheated like crazy on his wife.  He had 15 cell phones with different chicks he'd hook up with on the road that his assistants would manage.  She's taking him to the cleaners right now in their divorce.  I don't like Michael Jordan, never have, but I clearly respect what he's done on the court.  I'd either be an idiot or someone who didn't care about basketball not to.    

BTW, I get tired of the constant Kobe and Laker talk on the board too.  There has to be balance, but it's unfortunate that when Kobe wins the MVP we can't actually have a simple discussion of the topic without it turning in to a lame pissing contest.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2008, 01:15:54 PM »

I can't believe that after your whole rant above you make comments like you did in bold.  Talk about not getting a basic point and proving what I am saying at the same time.  Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting.  You are just as guilty of twisting as anyone else.  Get off your high horse and think next time before you bring it up.  Or print this out and hang it next to your computer monitor so you can REMEMBER that you do this on the regular.  It is beyond stupid for you to even make a comment like 'Are you saying Duncan and KG lack fundamentals'  For all the times you toot your own horn about your supreme brain power I find it hard to believe you couldn't understand that I was saying there.  It wasn't saying they couldn't do those things.  In fact I was saying ALL 3 of them do those things except I don't believe KG and Duncan have a killer instinct (this playoffs have proved that yet again).

The obvious answer is that a quality education would have made it easier for you to express more clearly what you intended to say as an alternative to giving me a premier opening instead. It goes back to taking you seriously. If you refuse to learn how to write clearly so others can not constantly take advantage of you, you will continue to be bullied about as nature intended. Darwinism at work. Remember where I said I freely admit to twisting words around on other posters because I can? This is where I also say, thanks for making it sooooo easy to do. And I have to stay on this high horse as long as people like you keep putting me on this pedestal. You do more to enhance my reputation then just about anyone because of how careless your writing can be at times.     ;D LOL!!!

To be honest, and to point OUT the obvious, I have only been criticizing Bryant on his personnel lifestyle and his worthiness of winning an MVP while not being such a great human being. He is not the first. Barry Bonds is a steriod jerk, but he still won seven of the things. And Ty Cobb is considered the best pure hitter ever to play baseball and is in the hall of fame, but he quite likely killed a man in a rage, and once physically attacked an armless fan in the stands who had been riding him, AND he was a reknown racist and proud of it.

Do I equate Bryant to this level of deceit? Guess not, but I freely admit I would prefer such awards to go to people I admire on a more human stage then this guy. Did I forget to mention that his basketball play DOES, in fact, warrant an MVP this year? I officially do now. I just prefer people like Garnett or CP3 or LeBron or Duncan win things like this so the game of basketball can admire the player without wincing when looking at him. And I am not the only one who feels that way.  

And what is "Murder She Wrote"? Who is "she", and what did she write?  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2008, 01:18:54 PM »
wk and jazzman,

Can you guys just put it in each other and end this charade?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2008, 01:27:05 PM »
wk and jazzman,

:D

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2008, 01:32:37 PM »

I can't believe that after your whole rant above you make comments like you did in bold.  Talk about not getting a basic point and proving what I am saying at the same time.  Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting.  You are just as guilty of twisting as anyone else.  Get off your high horse and think next time before you bring it up.  Or print this out and hang it next to your computer monitor so you can REMEMBER that you do this on the regular.  It is beyond stupid for you to even make a comment like 'Are you saying Duncan and KG lack fundamentals'  For all the times you toot your own horn about your supreme brain power I find it hard to believe you couldn't understand that I was saying there.  It wasn't saying they couldn't do those things.  In fact I was saying ALL 3 of them do those things except I don't believe KG and Duncan have a killer instinct (this playoffs have proved that yet again).

The obvious answer is that a quality education would have made it easier for you to express more clearly what you intended to say as an alternative to giving me a premier opening instead. It goes back to taking you seriously. If you refuse to learn how to write clearly so others can not constantly take advantage of you, you will continue to be bullied about as nature intended. Darwinism at work. Remember where I said I freely admit to twisting words around on other posters because I can? This is where I also say, thanks for making it sooooo easy to do. And I have to stay on this high horse as long as people like you keep putting me on this pedestal. You do more to enhance my reputation then just about anyone because of how careless your writing can be at times.     ;D LOL!!!

To be honest, and to point OUT the obvious, I have only been criticizing Bryant on his personnel lifestyle and his worthiness of winning an MVP while not being such a great human being. He is not the first. Barry Bonds is a steriod jerk, but he still won seven of the things. And Ty Cobb is considered the best pure hitter ever to play baseball and is in the hall of fame, but he quite likely killed a man in a rage, and once physically attacked an armless fan in the stands who had been riding him, AND he was a reknown racist and proud of it.

Do I equate Bryant to this level of deceit? Guess not, but I freely admit I would prefer such awards to go to people I admire on a more human stage then this guy. Did I forget to mention that his basketball play DOES, in fact, warrant an MVP this year? I officially do now. I just prefer people like Garnett or CP3 or LeBron or Duncan win things like this so the game of basketball can admire the player without wincing when looking at him. And I am not the only one who feels that way.  

And what is "Murder She Wrote"? Who is "she", and what did she write?  

Cool tactics.  You unleashed the arsenal in this thread.  First plan of attack "Bring up spelling" second plan of attack if you misunderstood a simple point "pretend you did it on purpose".

We both have the same "quality" public school education in the great state of California as one another.  I've admitted numerous times that writing is not my forte.  Never was.  Never will be.  I have no desire to make it my forte.    I'll run circles around you in many other things though.  Just because you can't patch a server or implement an electronic data management system for an enterprise doesn't make you an idiot.  That is not your strength and I wouldn't hold that against you.      That is the difference between us.  You feel the need to take shots at my writing to make you feel better but haven't done a good job answer a BAKSETBALL QUESTION.  Writing is not the end all be all (didn't we have this debate already?).  I don't really have time to take writing classes.  I have other type of information that needs to be consumed and take up my time.  Not quite sure who you think you are that I should feel motivated to go take a writing class just for you LOL!!!

Back to my question...what puts Duncan and KG on a higher level then Kobe Bryant with out bringing in your personal bias?  You can't do it!!!  I don't care if you want to see others do better then him.  I also know plenty of people don't like Kobe.  That is easy to say.  Can you say "Plenty of people really like Kobe Bryant" ?

WOW Jomal is a saber tooth tiger and I never go any older then cougars sorry =/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 01:35:12 PM by westkoast »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2008, 01:34:16 PM »
At the risk of sounding "smug" (man, the board is hyper sensitive these days), I think Kobe has the most drive and killer instinct of any player in the game today.  I don't think you will find too many objective coaches, players, GM's, towel boys, media types, etc. who would disagree with that statement.  Kobe deserved the MVP this year.  Chris Paul deserved it as well and I was convinced the media would give it to whoever's team won the west and that's what happened.  

This thread started as commending Kobe for winning the MVP.  This is a freakin' NBA discussion board last I checked, shouldn't we be discussing who win's the MVP?  Ziggy jumps down westkoast's throat for saying you have to respect Kobe's drive.  That's absurd.  Of course no one has to respect anything, but clearly westkoast was using it as a conversational figure of speech.  Don't we all say that phrase all of the time?  "Gee, the Blazers didn't make the playoffs, but you have to respect what they did this year".  "Man, Eddie Murphy's put out a ton of crappy flicks this past decade, but you've got to respect his work in Trading Places and Beverly Hills Cop".  C'mon guys, do we really take that so literally to mean BOW DOWN AND SHOW RESPECT, I COMMAND YOU! Give me a frickin' break and get over yourself.   Talk about hubris.  

Regarding "ethics", everyone's got their own way of how they view morals and ethics and project their judgements on people.  Kobe's major ethical mistake was infidelity.  We don't know what KG and Duncan do in their free time.  Sure, they seem like good guys, but infidelity is the rule in the NBA, not the exception.  If someone is so high and mighty that they hate everyone who has committed adultry, then they have no business supporting the NBA.  It is a breeding ground for infidelity not much different than being a touring rock star.  For that matter, they really have no business supporting 90% of rock 'n roll musicians either.  

The ultimate NBA poster boy, Michael Jordan, cheated like crazy on his wife.  He had 15 cell phones with different chicks he'd hook up with on the road that his assistants would manage.  She's taking him to the cleaners right now in their divorce.  I don't like Michael Jordan, never have, but I clearly respect what he's done on the court.  I'd either be an idiot or someone who didn't care about basketball not to.    

BTW, I get tired of the constant Kobe and Laker talk on the board too.  There has to be balance, but it's unfortunate that when Kobe wins the MVP we can't actually have a simple discussion of the topic without it turning in to a lame pissing contest.  

Forget about his rape charge, msc. I was not even considering that, but it is nice to know it is the first thing about Kobe YOU want to bring up.

I was referring to his lack of faith in his teammates and in his general manager, his demands to be traded if Kupchek did not "magically" make an astounding trade to improve KOBE"S OWN opinion of how great he would be by putting better followers on the court with him then the team was able to provide immediately per his whim. Suddenly he is a GREAT TEAM LEADER after first being an a**hole teammate for three years. Suddenly, he gets Gasol in as one-sided a trade as his stupid GM could muster and now he is Mr. HAPPYLAKER, when this time last year he wanted out, period. Call it drive, fundamentals, killer instinct, but maybe it just does not sit all that well with non-Laker basketball fans who remember what a prima donna we are really talking about here.

I have no argument as to his basketball skills in winning an MVP, but I would rather not have to SEE hubris in the smug looks on guys like Bonds and Bryant who somehow think they are above everyone else and can act like petty tyrants without conscience. For the record, Jordan got away with way too much as well. And if Duncan is hiding something, then he at least has the humility to keep quiet about his activities and opinions - what one could only wish Kobe could do.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2008, 01:38:30 PM »

Forget about his rape charge, msc. I was not even considering that, but it is nice to know it is the first thing about Kobe YOU want to bring up.

I was referring to his lack of faith in his teammates and in his general manager, his demands to be traded if Kupchek did not "magically" make an astounding trade to improve KOBE"S OWN opinion of how great he would be by putting better followers on the court with him then the team was able to provide immediately per his whim. Suddenly he is a GREAT TEAM LEADER after first being an a**hole teammate for three years. Suddenly, he gets Gasol in as one-sided a trade as his stupid GM could muster and now he is Mr. HAPPYLAKER, when this time last year he wanted out, period. Call it drive, fundamentals, killer instinct, but maybe it just does not sit all that well with non-Laker basketball fans who remember what a prima donna we are really talking about here.

I have no argument as to his basketball skills in winning an MVP, but I would rather not have to SEE hubris in the smug looks on guys like Bonds and Bryant who somehow think they are above everyone else and can act like petty tyrants without conscience. For the record, Jordan got away with way too much as well. And if Duncan is hiding something, then he at least has the humility to keep quiet about his activities and opinions - what one could only wish Kobe could do.  

Lamar Odom was on Dan Patrick's show this morning talking about Kobe and he disagreed with everything you are assuming he did.  Funny how timming works.  He said that Kobe is very competitive and all about business, to some that could come off the wrong way but if you know him, then you understand.    He did say his leadership has improved this year but chalked it up to the team as a whole getting more mature and learning to play together.  Not just Kobe but the whole squad.

Dan Patrick brought this up as well, as far as not trusting teammates, by making mention of the "Michael Jordan stare" that he use to do to players who would miss shots.  He would not pass players the ball if they missed shots.  As Jordan got older he trusted them more.  As Kobe got older he trusted his teammates more.  You didn't expect Chris Webber to mature over night but you expect Kobe Bryant to do so?  I wish for once you could remove your personal bias when talking on these things. 

Did you crap on Michael Jordan as much as Kobe back in the day Jomal?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 01:41:16 PM by westkoast »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2008, 01:47:39 PM »
Cool tactics.  You unleashed the arsenal in this thread.  First plan of attack "Bring up spelling" second plan of attack if you misunderstood a simple point "pretend you did it on purpose".

We both have the same "quality" public school education in the great state of California as one another.  I've admitted numerous times that writing is not my forte.  Never was.  Never will be.  I have no desire to make it my forte.    I'll run circles around you in many other things though.  Just because you can't patch a server or implement an electronic data management system for an enterprise doesn't make you an idiot.  That is not your strength and I wouldn't hold that against you.      That is the difference between us.  You feel the need to take shots at my writing to make you feel better but haven't done a good job answer a BAKSETBALL QUESTION.  Writing is not the end all be all (didn't we have this debate already?).  I don't really have time to take writing classes.  I have other type of information that needs to be consumed and take up my time.  Not quite sure who you think you are that I should feel motivated to go take a writing class just for you LOL!!!

Back to my question...what puts Duncan and KG on a higher level then Kobe Bryant with out bringing in your personal bias?  You can't do it!!!  I don't care if you want to see others do better then him.  I also know plenty of people don't like Kobe.  That is easy to say.  Can you say "Plenty of people really like Kobe Bryant" ?

WOW Jomal is a saber tooth tiger and I never go any older then cougars sorry =/

Let me give you one more English lesson, laddie. You spelled 'biter' and 'butt' correctly, so don't say I brought up spelling. It was not spelling errors, Mr. "Techwhizzer", that I was laughing at you about. Sorry to force feed you on this point, but with you there really is no other way to deal with how pathetically slow you can be at times.

You seem very proud of being what amounts to a mechanic. Good for you. I am sure you are very good at it. Lord knows we who actually have to think for a living need to hire people like you to keep our machines in tidy order once in a while and we really appreciate it. I will let you run circles around me in that department.  

As for my complaints about Bryant, see my post to msc.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2008, 01:48:21 PM »
wk and jazzman,

WOW, you are filling a necessary void today. Go away.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2008, 01:53:02 PM »
Lamar Odom was on Dan Patrick's show this morning talking about Kobe and he disagreed with everything you are assuming he did.  Funny how timming works.  He said that Kobe is very competitive and all about business, to some that could come off the wrong way but if you know him, then you understand.    He did say his leadership has improved this year but chalked it up to the team as a whole getting more mature and learning to play together.  Not just Kobe but the whole squad.

Dan Patrick brought this up as well, as far as not trusting teammates, by making mention of the "Michael Jordan stare" that he use to do to players who would miss shots.  He would not pass players the ball if they missed shots.  As Jordan got older he trusted them more.  As Kobe got older he trusted his teammates more.  You didn't expect Chris Webber to mature over night but you expect Kobe Bryant to do so?  I wish for once you could remove your personal bias when talking on these things. 

Did you crap on Michael Jordan as much as Kobe back in the day Jomal?

Lamar Odom was just about the only Laker who was friendly with Bryant and who Bryant did not diss publically. Wrong guy to quote on this.

And as far as I can recall, Jordan NEVER went an entire game without shooting the ball more then five times like Kobe did, because he did not like being criticized for not involving his teammates enough.