Author Topic: Spurs game 1 loss.  (Read 11674 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Spurs game 1 loss.
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2008, 05:42:09 PM »
Do you guys think Byron Scott is outcoaching Pop?

So far, that would be a fair statement. But it is hard to rule out what the Spurs have accomplished in the past, so let's see if the Hornets can take one in San Antonio first. All the Hornets have done has been to hold onto home court. If they can take one of the next two, the coaching would be the reason, yes.

Therein lies the real issue, Pop's AND the team's experience versus Scott's limited experience and his team's lack of it altogether. To my way of thinking, it it precisely true that NO only did what they HAD to do, hold home court, but the trouble for the Spurs is that they did not look like they were in over their heads in doing so. I really do not expect the Hornets to take the Spurs down in SA and thus I think this series will go 7. If it goes that far, it would definately favor the Spurs.

Popavich does have mental lapses that defy explanation but I don't think there are many that can flat out outcoach him. 3rd quarter in game 2 was a good demonstration of his ability to adjust and change things up, it almost worked and so the onus was on the Big 3, not the coach. Scott did a brilliant job of disrupting SA's rhythm offensively, and let his team's speed break down SA's zone defense, it got pretty physical but that same 3rd quarter proved NO can be rattled by aggressive defense, look for Pop to key on that with the likes of Udoka, Bowen, and Thomas applying more physical pressure. West is a powder keg from what I can see, I counted at least 2 T's he got away with, pressure him harder in a tight game and Paul may not be able to hold him back.

'Rattled by aggressive defense' is a good turn of phrase to express what the Spurs HAVE to do before the end of this series. What is going to be interesting to see is the Paul/Parker matchup, though it appears that Pop is having Bowen cover Paul defensively. Bruce is not as fast, so his "other" talents will be needed to slow CP3 down, and it could fail.

If Duncan is kept just enough off-balanced by what the Hornets apparently did defensively to him in the first two games, the Spurs can't compensate for it.

Whoever is not being guarded by Bowen could cause the most problems for the Spurs. If this leaves Peja wide open on most possessions and if you let a pure shooter like Peja get comfortable, you might as well break out the fishing gear. Ginobili doesn't quite have the height to match up there, but certainly can pressure the Hornet defense from the offensive side. David West is going to have to be contained better then he has been as well. The Spurs defense is still one of the best, but the Hornets have a lot of weapons and that is where Scott's coaching abilities are going to be exhibited. He will have to figure out where the Spurs are weakest and exploit it and hard. Pop will know this and try to counter, but I am seeing some strong fortitude coming from the Hornets - more then I think we originally gave them credit for, and you have to think that comes from Scott.

I am thinking the Hornets just might have enough to get one win in S.A.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2008, 05:43:42 PM »

I agree.  Jomal has a lot in common with guys like John McCain...old, gets hot under the collar easily, very good at beating around the bush.

I am a democrat. I beat around THE Bushes.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2008, 10:16:12 PM »
FYI,

B. Scott has plenty of experience as a coach.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2008, 10:31:45 PM »
FYI, I never said he didn't, we were discussing playoff coaching experience, and he has nowhere near the experience Pop does, hence my assigning him limited experience by comparison.
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2008, 10:43:44 PM »
FYI, I never said he didn't, we were discussing playoff coaching experience, and he has nowhere near the experience Pop does, hence my assigning him limited experience by comparison.

Scott has done it all except win a title, he's been to finals on more than one occasion.  I guess any coach who has not won a title has limited experience, that is the first thought that comes to mind when I think of Jerry Sloan.  ::)
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2008, 12:11:52 PM »

Scott has done it all except win a title, he's been to finals on more than one occasion.  I guess any coach who has not won a title has limited experience, that is the first thought that comes to mind when I think of Jerry Sloan.  ::)

4 rings as a coach compared to none shows a  gap between Pop and B. Scott's playoff experience.  Though IMO Byron Scott's playoff experience as a player actually closes the gap a bit.  He can approach his guys as a player who has been in their spot as an individual moreso then just a coach who is looking at the overall big picture.  I'd love to hear what Byron is telling David West and Chris Paul because they are seriously playing like seasoned playoff performers over the first 7 games of the playoffs.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2008, 02:16:02 PM »
In that the Hornets won both home games against a premier, and clearly experienced, playoff team must send a message that his team will not be taken lightly. The Spurs tactics that worked so well against Phoenix are not phasing the Hornets, and it is clear from the expressions of the Spurs players this was not what them expected.

Scott may lack championship COACHING rings, but he clearly is not lacking in the playoff experience category. Pop is up against a guy who can deliver that message.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2008, 02:31:03 PM »
...this was not what them expected....

Uhmmmm..........
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2008, 05:30:45 PM »
...this was not what them expected....

Uhmmmm..........

Sorry....

....not what dem expected.