Author Topic: Iron Man  (Read 5586 times)

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Iron Man
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 12:27:46 AM »
Actually, they had to do a lot of set-up so they could get to the action.  As a huge Iron Man (Avengers -- esp. Thor, my fav since a kid) fan, they actually stayed pretty true to the comic series and kept they did a pretty good job with Tony Starks personality.  They guy was a huge ego but had a ton of drama in his private life (alcoholic at one point and a huge brooder) -- it's not as innocent as Peter Parker -- more along the lines of Batman (although I don't think a superhero alive was the brooder of Batman -- perhaps Wolverine). 

Now that they have done the set-up -- the next Iron Man will be able to have a whole lot more action -- making Brody into War Machine, taking on guys like the Madarin, Crimson Dynamo, Blacklash, Living Laser, Titanium Man.

I would love to see a Thor or Avengers movie -- huge fan of these story lines.  I don't think there was an Avenger, Thor or Iron Man that I never read.   My daughter is a real Marvel fan as well -- she has 5 or 6 encyclopedias of super heros. 

I appreciate the way they stuck with the comic book story line -- the deviations in the original Hulk and Fantastic Four were very disappointing.  The idea of having Doctor Doom garner his abilities in the same cosmic storm that gave the fantastic four does away with the entire storyline of Doctor Doom.  Doom gets his powers through his suit (he is a scientist on par with Tony Stark) and through sorcery.  Doom is a major player in the comic book world and has tried several times to take over the entire world. 

Also, the idea in the 2nd Fantastic Four that the Silver Surfer could somehow kill Galactus is ridiculous.  Galactus is immortal and he gave the Silver Surfer all of his powers -- the Silver Surfer begs Galactus to spare the earth and Galactus finally relents.

I don't know why the feel the urge to entirely change the storylines.

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 12:43:19 AM »
Saw Iron Man with Skander and Joe today.  Awesome movie.

Everything that I've read was true.  Bob Downey was fantastic as Stark.  Really good performances all-around.

The tag scene (after the credits) was amazing.  If they don't do the Avengers now (esp. since they've got their Marvel Studios banner to produce it), I'll be upset.

Of course, if they don't get Cap right, I start killing things.

Captain America is my second favorite Marvel character behind Logan.  And he's the heart and soul of the Avengers.

And by the way ...

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

... how cool was it to see Sam Jackson play Nick Fury?  That's awesome.  Those who've read the Ultimate version of the Avengers will know what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:45:30 AM by Wolverine »
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 02:03:24 AM »
I collected marvel for some years in high school and college all the way through where the first xmen movie came out.  When they "modernized" the marvel titles because of the film I was kind of disappointed.  My favorite Iron Man series though was the "Hero's Reborn" version.  For that matter that had to be the coolest series for the Hulk also, but it was the only time I thought a change of story line was actually cool.  Where Bruce Banner worked for Tony Stark and had his gamma ray accident turning him into the Hulk.  The Story basically makes pits Iron Man vs the Hulk.  Classic series.  The second best "heroes" story line to that was the "Onslaught" story line that "killed off" all the non-mutant heroes when Prof Xavier lost control of himself.  All Time favorite story line that Marvel produced is "The Age of Apocalypse"  En Sabah Nur, THAT is a character I would want to see Marvel make a movie of!!
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 09:27:20 AM »
Apocalypse would be an incredible movie but I don't think you wan to do that next -- how do you follow up a movie like that?  That's a storyline that it takes ALL the heroes to win and then where do you go after that?  I think there are a lot of storylines we need to see before we go there -- it's tough not to be anticlimatic after that. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 09:59:58 AM »
I collected marvel for some years in high school and college all the way through where the first xmen movie came out.  When they "modernized" the marvel titles because of the film I was kind of disappointed.  My favorite Iron Man series though was the "Hero's Reborn" version.  For that matter that had to be the coolest series for the Hulk also, but it was the only time I thought a change of story line was actually cool.  Where Bruce Banner worked for Tony Stark and had his gamma ray accident turning him into the Hulk.  The Story basically makes pits Iron Man vs the Hulk.  Classic series.  The second best "heroes" story line to that was the "Onslaught" story line that "killed off" all the non-mutant heroes when Prof Xavier lost control of himself.  All Time favorite story line that Marvel produced is "The Age of Apocalypse"  En Sabah Nur, THAT is a character I would want to see Marvel make a movie of!!

You know, it just might be because that's when I was the most into comics, but I loved the onslaught epic as well.  I didn't get into heroes reborn quite as much (I really only read ff regularly), but Onslaught took a whole lot of criticism, and I absolutely loved it.  That whole 'consequences of your actions' thing I thought made a very compelling story, and xavier's powers (and possible misuse of his powers) always was a great story.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 10:20:43 AM »

You know, it just might be because that's when I was the most into comics, but I loved the onslaught epic as well.  I didn't get into heroes reborn quite as much (I really only read ff regularly), but Onslaught took a whole lot of criticism, and I absolutely loved it.  That whole 'consequences of your actions' thing I thought made a very compelling story, and xavier's powers (and possible misuse of his powers) always was a great story.

Yup, it is a classic story IMO.  One that you wish you could see made, but Randy is right, the build up to that would be insane.

Some info though on Marvel Studios:

http://www.marvel.com/company/pdf/marvel_studio_present.pdf

I didn't think they would really do it - or WHY they would do it for that matter - but they are making Ant Man into a movie...hmmm, think I will pass on that one.  :D

here is another site:

http://www.marvel.com/movies

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 12:26:52 PM »

Yup, it is a classic story IMO.  One that you wish you could see made, but Randy is right, the build up to that would be insane.

I didn't think they would really do it - or WHY they would do it for that matter - but they are making Ant Man into a movie...hmmm, think I will pass on that one.  :D

here is another site:

Which Ant Man -- Scott Lang or Henry Pym?  I would HATE to see a movie based around Henry Pym -- the guy doesn't have a personality to build a movie around.  I do have to question why they would make an Ant Man movie -- there are SOOO many other less profile superheroes that would make a far better story line -- Hawkeye is one -- Wolverine would be an EXCELLENT choice but that would mean pulling him from XMen.  One of the things people want is they want a storyline (see the poor storylines in Hulk, Electra, etc.) as well as action.  I just don't see how Ant Man is going to provide that -- I think that Moon Knight would provide a better storyline and movie than Ant Man. I'm really surprised to see them not going after Captain America -- this is one of Marvel's most popular superheroes and there is all kinds of storylines here (thawing out forty years later after WW2, etc.).  I would like to see a Luke Cage movie -- I think he's got a storyline that would make a good movie -- even a TV show since he was a superhero (minor one) for hire.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 12:35:48 PM »

here is another site:

Which Ant Man -- Scott Lang or Henry Pym?  I would HATE to see a movie based around Henry Pym -- the guy doesn't have a personality to build a movie around.  I do have to question why they would make an Ant Man movie -- there are SOOO many other less profile superheroes that would make a far better story line -- Hawkeye is one -- Wolverine would be an EXCELLENT choice but that would mean pulling him from XMen.  One of the things people want is they want a storyline (see the poor storylines in Hulk, Electra, etc.) as well as action.  I just don't see how Ant Man is going to provide that -- I think that Moon Knight would provide a better storyline and movie than Ant Man. I'm really surprised to see them not going after Captain America -- this is one of Marvel's most popular superheroes and there is all kinds of storylines here (thawing out forty years later after WW2, etc.).  I would like to see a Luke Cage movie -- I think he's got a storyline that would make a good movie -- even a TV show since he was a superhero (minor one) for hire.

Randy, Captain America is scheduled for 2010 per IMDB.com and Luke Cage was already thought of.  I think they decided to re-write the script for that movie, same thing for Deathlok.   

Wolverine is slated for next year release, suppossed to reflect on Logan and his past with sabretooth, also heard a rumor that Deadpool is suppossed to be in the story as well - Deadpool has always cracked me up. 

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 12:36:05 PM »
Here's a report that suggests what Marvel's plans are over the next few years ... and gives credence to that last scene in Iron Man.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080505/20080505005656.html?.v=1

Here's a rundown of the projects planned over the next three years:

Feature Film Projects Being Developed by Marvel ? partial list

Film/Character                                                     Studio      Status 
Iron Man                                                             Marvel     Released May 2, 2008 
The Incredible Hulk                                               Marvel     Scheduled for June 13, 2008 release 
Iron Man 2                                                          Marvel     Scheduled for April 30, 2010 release 
Thor                                                                  Marvel     Scheduled for June 4, 2010 release 
The First Avenger: Captain America (working title) Marvel     Scheduled for May 6, 2011 release 
The Avengers                                                    Marvel     Scheduled for July 2011 release 
Ant-Man                                                             Marvel     Writer/director engaged 

Licensed Marvel Character Feature Film Line-Up
Film/Character                                                     Studio/Distributor     Status 
Punisher: War Zone                                               Lionsgate               Scheduled for December 5, 2008 release 
X-Men Origins: Wolverine                                    Fox                       Scheduled for May 1, 2009 release

Those that appear in bold are the ones I can't wait to see.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 12:58:58 PM »
per IMDB.com, Dr. Strange is slated for 2010...

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 01:19:28 PM »
thanks for the info -- I didn't know the full scoop -- I had heard that they were planning a full-length Dr. Strange -- who also has a interesting storyline -- however, I wonder how well a hero based totally on mystical arts will fare at the box office.  Of course, it will make a lot of money simply because it's another Marvel movie.

I can't wait to see a Thor movie -- that will be awesome.

Also, the animated Avengers movies that came out were very disappointing.  Their storyline of putting together the original avengers was quite disappointing. 

Thanks for the info.

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 03:23:28 PM »
If you're like me, you can't wait for the Dark Knight.  Not only was the first movie awesome, they're using my favorite two Batman villains in the sequel - the Joker and Two-Face.

If you'd like to see the *possible* look of post-scarring Harvey, click on the link below.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36628

You won't be disappointed.

If true, I think this is BY FAR the best make-up I've seen used for the character.  It was too "cartoony"  in Batman Forever (not to mention that version of the character sucked anyway).

This is so realistic it's gruesome, and I think it could be a reason the movie gets an "R" rating, although I doubt that will be the case.

And by the way, if you've watched the newest trailer for the Dark Knight (you can find it on youtube) ... at about 2:03 or so you see a shot of Two-Face in profile ... and you can see - just barely - a spot of the scarring on his chin.

I think this picture is the real thing.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 03:29:17 PM »
If you're like me, you can't wait for the Dark Knight.  Not only was the first movie awesome, they're using my favorite two Batman villains in the sequel - the Joker and Two-Face.

If you'd like to see the *possible* look of post-scarring Harvey, click on the link below.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36628

You won't be disappointed.

If true, I think this is BY FAR the best make-up I've seen used for the character.  It was too "cartoony"  in Batman Forever (not to mention that version of the character sucked anyway).

This is so realistic it's gruesome, and I think it could be a reason the movie gets an "R" rating, although I doubt that will be the case.

And by the way, if you've watched the newest trailer for the Dark Knight (you can find it on youtube) ... at about 2:03 or so you see a shot of Two-Face in profile ... and you can see - just barely - a spot of the scarring on his chin.

I think this picture is the real thing.

I heard a rumor that Two Face is only introduced, but that he will be the main villain in the third movie.  I think he shows up at the end of the movie... So it looks like this is mostly between the Joker and The Dark Knight.  but like I said, it just a rumor...

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 04:12:35 PM »
other interesting movies:

Wonder woman (2009)

Justice League (2009) (it says Common will play The Green Lantern)

Terminator 4 (2009)

CHiPs (2009)

Superman:  Man of Steel (2009)

The Hobbit (2010)

Clash of the Titans (2010)

The Hobbit 2 (2011)    ------> ????  part 2?

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 08:59:41 AM »
I just read that the Ant Man movie (2011) isn't going to be based on the Scott Lang Ant Man but the Henry Pym.  It seems a REAL stretch to base an entire movie on Henry Pym's Ant Man persona -- when he was Ant Man, he really didn't do much (fought the mafia, etc.) and only assumed this persona for about two years before becoming Giant Man.  I think it would be far better to have him change from persona (Ant Man) to persona (Giant Man) rather than just stay with Ant Man.  Pym's personality was very unstable and his continual change had a great deal to do with trying to match the power of Thor and Iron Man (he wanted to be the most important in the Avenger team).  I'm a little skeptical whether or not they will be able to really pull off something great here -- I'm afraid we will end up with an even lamer version of Daredevil here.

Also, surprisingly, there seems to be a great deal of skepticism about whether a Captain America movie will fare well.  It seems that the concern is foreign markets -- that the rest of the world doesn't want to see a superhero dressed in Red, White and Blue and standing for America.  I think it would be such a huge splash in the US, that they would still make a ton of money.  I would think that the foes would be the bigger struggle for foreign markets -- does Cap fight Red Skull as a Nazi (first two Red Skulls) or as a Communist (last Red Skull)?  Red Skull was his biggest nemisis but there are others.  It will be an interesting story line.

Also, I see that they are planning on starting Thor out in Asgard -- wow, that's quite the undertaking.  It would have been FAR easier to start him off on earth and have him have flashbacks to life in Asgard as opposed to Midgard.  It's going to take some real bucks to make Asgard.