Author Topic: Iron Man  (Read 5590 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Iron Man
« on: May 02, 2008, 08:21:44 AM »
I'll keep this short:  Extraordinary

Downey Jr. puts on a great show and really carries the movie.  It isn't pompous or overdone, and definitely doesn't fall into the trap of taking itself too seriously . . .

. . . bit of advice.  Don't make the mistake of 1/2 our audience members and leave at the credits.  The last bit should have you jumping out of your seat. 

Grade: A-

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Iron Man
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 08:58:22 AM »
I want to see this movie, I knew he would be perfect as Tony Stark.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 09:24:54 AM »
Speaking of comic movies, what are your thought on the upcoming Batman movie, I am sad but really interested to see how Heath Ledger pulled off his Joker role.  I mean, if the role affected him soo much that it made him increase certain meds to deal with it you have to wonder how far he dove into being the Joker, it would have to be tough, following up a Jack Nicholson [sp?] performance would be nerve racking in itself.

Or what about the the upcoming Frank Miller movie, The Spirit.  I have not read this story at all so I have no clue what to expect, but if it the story is anything like Sin City or 300, I am sure it will be a good movie - the film work looks like Sin City. 

Then there is "The Incredbile Hulk" .....WHY???  Marvel was dissapointed with the last film that they decided to re-do the film with Ed Norton, I still don't see this story working out.  The story of Bruce Banner seemed to work out in comic form, but as far as a screen play goes - the story just does not seem to work.  I will probably pass on this one.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 10:21:32 AM »
Someone on local radio was going off about how awesome this movie was too.  Said he hates CGI but the fact that Iron Man is made of metal it came out great.

Can't wait to go see this actually.  Was always an Iron Man fan.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 10:22:01 AM »
excited for iron man.  not sure when I'm going to go see it, but all previews I've seen have looked good.

Not sure how I feel about Hulk.  I'm a Norton fan, but if you're going to remake a movie and pretend the first one never happened, I think you should at least give it 5 years.  didn't we just "start" the hulk series?

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 11:00:17 AM »
I'm seeing nothing but good reviews for Iron Man. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 11:19:01 AM »
keep the 1st hand accounts coming.

Not saying the paid off reviewers are not accurate...just wanting to hear from everyone 1st hand.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 11:20:39 AM »
I did start watchiong part of this movie online last night, what I did see was pretty interesting.  I plan on checking it out at the IMAX though. 

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
Speaking of comic movies, what are your thought on the upcoming Batman movie, I am sad but really interested to see how Heath Ledger pulled off his Joker role.  I mean, if the role affected him soo much that it made him increase certain meds to deal with it you have to wonder how far he dove into being the Joker, it would have to be tough, following up a Jack Nicholson [sp?] performance would be nerve racking in itself.

Or what about the the upcoming Frank Miller movie, The Spirit.  I have not read this story at all so I have no clue what to expect, but if it the story is anything like Sin City or 300, I am sure it will be a good movie - the film work looks like Sin City. 

Then there is "The Incredbile Hulk" .....WHY???  Marvel was dissapointed with the last film that they decided to re-do the film with Ed Norton, I still don't see this story working out.  The story of Bruce Banner seemed to work out in comic form, but as far as a screen play goes - the story just does not seem to work.  I will probably pass on this one.

While I totally agree about the Eric Bana yuckfest, if Ed Norton is going to do it, it will by default be better. That guy can act.

On a side note about Ed Norton, last month my wife and I went to a restaurant on Bourbon Street in New Orleans called Johnny Moreno's. It is an Italian place in a very old building - very cool looking inside and has that old Mafia feel to it - I loved it and had this pasta dish with a giant meatball on top. Really good food and great, creepy atmosphere. But the Ed Norton thing - our waiter was a dead ringer for him, down to the inflection in his voice.  We thought he was doing research for a part or something.

Turns out the kid was just a waiter from St. Louis, enjoying his move to the Crescent City, but I have to tell you, it was weird. Almost as weird as when I went out to dinner years and years ago, here in SacTown, to a restaurant called Harlows, which at the time was THE best place to eat downtown (no longer). Our waiter there was Tom Hanks - and I mean he was in every way, shape and form - Tom Hanks. This guy, it turned out, was his brother Jim, who later doubled for Tom in the running scenes in Forest Gump.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »
Iron Man was great -- I loved it.  It followed fairly closely to the story line with the exception of changing the war and decade in which Iron Man was spawned (also, he manages to move from suit #1 in the comic books to suit #30).  All in all, they kept with the story lines better than any of the other Marvel series with the exception of Spider Man.

Downey Jr. is a very intriguing Iron Man -- I think that others would have pulled off the playboy image (is Downey Jr. anyone's idea of a ladies man?) but he did pull it off overall very well. 

I am a huge Marvel fan but I'd like to forget the first Hulk ever happened as well.  The 2003 movie decided to run out away from any of the comic story lines but thankfully, it sounds like the new Hulk will return to the story lines with the appearance of the Abomination.  The previews look pretty good.

It was pretty funny to see Stan Lee's character in Iron Man -- the only thing that I really enjoyed about the 2003 Hulk was when Stan Lee and Lou Ferrigno walked out of the building as security guards.

I also saw previews of the new Batman movie with Ledger as the Joker.  It was quite creepy -- Jack did an OUTSTANDING job of acting the part of a mental joker but the make-up job they did on Ledger is just freaky.  From the first look, you think this guy is mental -- he steps things up from Nicholson and acts quite disgusting.  It looks pretty dark -- and they don't call Batman "the Dark Knight" for nothing -- he is probably the most brooding superhero of all.

Iron Man was awesome -- I highly recommend it!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 12:51:33 PM »
It was pretty funny to see Stan Lee's character in Iron Man -- the only thing that I really enjoyed about the 2003 Hulk was when Stan Lee and Lou Ferrigno walked out of the building as security guards.

Lee has cameo's in every marvel film, I believe.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 01:12:02 PM »
Yeah, he does, but most of them haven't been as humorous as the cameo in Iron Man or the Hulk. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 03:23:26 PM »
B-

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »
Now way it was as good as Spidey.  Not enough Iron Man action.  The story was not as interesting as Peter Parker's so it seemed too long between action sequences.  The action sequences were awesome, just not enough.  Good movie but not great.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 08:56:20 PM »
Just saw it and thought it was really good.  But I am left wondering how will they sequel this movie?  will be iron man 2?  or will it be avengers?  And the spin offs of this movie are insane.  Thor (probable 2009), Captain America (probable 2009), The Avengers (probable 2009), and Nick Fury (probable 2010)...Of course these are scheduled dates which will more than likely be changed.  You know it's funny, every time i saw Obadiah, i kept thinking, "Where's the money Lebowski?"