Author Topic: Chris Webber retiring.  (Read 4381 times)

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Chris Webber retiring.
« on: March 26, 2008, 12:36:03 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3311954

For some reason this makes me feel old.  Seems like it was just a couple years ago I started hearing about him as a high schooler. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chris Webber retiring.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:58:08 PM »
Honestly he should have retired after his stint with the Kings.  Really he pushed it wayyyy too long if you ask me. 

I know Nelly had a soft spot for Webber from back in the day but what were they thinking with this run and gun squad?  We talked about Shaq being a paper weight on the Suns but this "idea" would have been worse then that had Webber actually been able to play with them for an extended amount of time.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 12:59:49 PM »
For some reason it makes me feel very very happy!!!!

One fifth of my NBA dreams have come true, Webber never got a ring; now I just need the same thing to happen with regard to Iverson, Sacramento and Dallas to never title, and the Lakers to get another ring within the next 2 years and I will be ECSTATIC.
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 01:03:32 PM »
For some reason it makes me feel very very happy!!!!

One fifth of my NBA dreams have come true, Webber never got a ring; now I just need the same thing to happen with regard to Iverson, Sacramento and Dallas to never title, and the Lakers to get another ring within the next 2 years and I will be ECSTATIC.

Fer yer beenifit, Dan. FRACK YOU!!!!
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 01:03:55 PM »
He was a piece of work, that is for sure. His commentary was never dull in the locker room and reporters always got an interesting quote out of him.

They were wondering on the morning radio program if he was HOF worthy. I have to say no. He was a top PF for several years, there, won a rebounding title, went to some all star games, averaged 20/10/4 for his career, with only a handful of others who had done that. But my thinking is he was never quite mentally tough enough to carry his team to a championship.

A good guy, though, and I admire him just as much for his off-court work as for what he did for Sacramento in the best years of his career.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 01:16:33 PM »
He was a piece of work, that is for sure. His commentary was never dull in the locker room and reporters always got an interesting quote out of him.

They were wondering on the morning radio program if he was HOF worthy. I have to say no. He was a top PF for several years, there, won a rebounding title, went to some all star games, averaged 20/10/4 for his career, with only a handful of others who had done that. But my thinking is he was never quite mentally tough enough to carry his team to a championship.

A good guy, though, and I admire him just as much for his off-court work as for what he did for Sacramento in the best years of his career.

If Chris Webber was able to make it into the HOF because of comparable stats then Stephon Marbury would have to go as well wouldn't he?  I think there is only 1 or 2 players who averaged what he has through out his career.  I don't think ANYONE would make a case for Marbury to go to the HOF.  Not even Isiah Thomas 2 years ago.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 01:43:07 PM »

If Chris Webber was able to make it into the HOF because of comparable stats then Stephon Marbury would have to go as well wouldn't he?  I think there is only 1 or 2 players who averaged what he has through out his career.  I don't think ANYONE would make a case for Marbury to go to the HOF.  Not even Isiah Thomas 2 years ago.

Stats don't always translate into superstardom, do they?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 02:10:53 PM »

Of course not.

Do you need to be a super star to get into the HOF would be my follow up question though.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 02:34:02 PM »
It helps.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 02:35:43 PM »

Of course not.

Do you need to be a super star to get into the HOF would be my follow up question though.

i think you should be the best of your era at your position and have some league stats to back you up. Not necessarily a championship or two, but you should have a scoring title or two, maybe be a top assist man each year; top rebounder; even a defensive whiz, but there are few interesting stats to show that, though some.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 06:29:44 PM »

Tough question.  IMO if guys like Chris Mullen, Nique and Reggie Miller get in, or have got in, then Chris deserves to get in as well.  Those guys never won any rings let alone carried their teams to important victories.  They were all good scores but Webber was more versatile then all of them.  Plus I'm pretty sure Ewing is going to make it in and IMO they are pretty much equals.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 06:45:23 PM »

Tough question.  IMO if guys like Chris Mullen, Nique and Reggie Miller get in, or have got in, then Chris deserves to get in as well.  Those guys never won any rings let alone carried their teams to important victories.  They were all good scores but Webber was more versatile then all of them.  Plus I'm pretty sure Ewing is going to make it in and IMO they are pretty much equals.

What set Webber apart more then anything was his uncanny passing ability for a big guy. Garnett is the only other current 'big' player who ever passed as well as Chris did, and it does make him an interesting candidate for consideration.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 11:31:10 AM by JoMal »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 10:11:50 PM »

Reggie Miller is one of the most clutch guys in NBA history, leading 3 point shooter in league history, and took his team to a finals.  How did Reggie Miller not carry his team to important victories?  Did you forget the game against the Knicks where Miller torched the Knicks with back to back 3s to shut Spike Lee up????  Chris Webber is a better passer then Miller but not a better scorer or shooter IMO.  Let's not get started on who is more clutch.  That is a no brainer.

I can't really argue Chris Mullen or Nique other then the fact maybe Nique was an all-star.  He was on a crappy team not exactly his fault.

Ewing I agree with.  He and Webber are in the same spot.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 10:18:06 PM »
Reggie Miller is one of the most clutch guys in NBA history, leading 3 point shooter in league history, and took his team to a finals.  How did Reggie Miller not carry his team to important victories?  Did you forget the game against the Knicks where Miller torched the Knicks with back to back 3s to shut Spike Lee up????  Chris Webber is a better passer then Miller but not a better scorer or shooter IMO.  Let's not get started on who is more clutch.  That is a no brainer.

I can't really argue Chris Mullen or Nique other then the fact maybe Nique was an all-star.  He was on a crappy team not exactly his fault.

I figured Reggie would get the most attention.  For all his "clutchness", how many finals did he reach?  How good a rebounder, passer, defender and assist guy was reggie?  Could he create his own shot?  No.  Webber could do all that and more.  Reggie was one of the most "clutch" guys in history but that did not translate into any rings or MVP's.  Webber was an all-star as well, not sure why you threw that in there.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 10:23:53 PM »

I figured Reggie would get the most attention.  For all his "clutchness", how many finals did he reach?  How good a rebounder, passer, defender and assist guy was reggie?  Could he create his own shot?  No.  Webber could do all that and more.  Reggie was one of the most "clutch" guys in history but that did not translate into any rings or MVP's.  Webber was an all-star as well, not sure why you threw that in there.

He got to one finals and happened to hit Shaq and Kobe (Webber did not hit a finals).  I mean cut him some slack it was Rik Smits vs Shaq and Reggie vs Kobe.  If Kobe didn't seal the deal when Shaq hit the bench in game 5 (I believe) it might have been a much closer series.  If I remember correctly Miller also won a game for them in the finals as well.  Not to mention he was in his prime during the Bulls run.  That HAS to be noted.

Could he create his own shot? Yes.  How do you figure he couldn't?  He was actually a decent slasher and could get to the rim regardless of how rail thin he was.  I think maybe you need to hit youtube and look up Reggie Miller.  The Knicks use to pound him in the paint when he would get to the rim.

I threw in Nique being in all-star cuz that is really the only thing I can think of that he did that was worth mentioning.  I actually agree he didn't deserve to go so....ya.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:27:39 PM by westkoast »