Author Topic: Suns looking good with Shaq so far.  (Read 6676 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Suns looking good with Shaq so far.
« on: February 23, 2008, 01:25:45 AM »
If Shaq can keep up his play the Suns have what it takes to win it all.  The Suns gave the Lakers all they could handle, granted the Lakers are not at full strength, but that was Shaq's first game and he made his presence felt.  Amare is a monster with Shaq at his side.  Shaq is doing exactly what the Suns need him to do, grab rebounds and control the paint.  While Shaq is not an anchor of defense in the paint, his big body is making it very difficult for teams to get offensive boards.  Grant Hill is looking great.  I have not seen look this good in a long time, he did not look this good in Miami, his body is in very decent shape and he's moving around very well, not quite like his hayday in LA but better than his last two years in LA. 

If they can stay healthy, the Suns have as good as shot as anyone.  I can't wait to see them play the Spurs, that will be their ultimate test.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Suns looking good with Shaq so far.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 03:36:05 PM »
Agreed, Miggy.

Watched a little of the game last night, and it looks as if Shaq will be playing the "Wilt" role for the Suns - and by that, of course, I mean Wilt at the end of his career with the Lakers.  All Shaq should be worried about is rebounding and defense, which are the two things Wilt contributed to the Lakers during their title in the early 70s (granted, Wilt could still drop in 20 points, but that wasn't his primary function on the team).

Amare can handle the scoring load, which is what he wants to do anyway.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 07:50:23 PM »
So far Shaq is proving me wrong and I do have to say he looked real good last night.  I still dont think he was worth Shawn Marion nor do I think this puts them over the top but so far so good.  He just needs to stay healthy.   He really doesn't have to run the break and if they don't toss it to him in the low post unless they have NO CHOICE it will work out if he can continue to play with this much energy.  Both the Lakers and Celtics did not exploit Shaq in the pick and roll.  Not quite sure why teams keep forgetting his weakness from 1997. 

Amare is way more then capable of taking the scoring load over no doubt Wolv.  With him being hurt and getting a heavy dose of Dwight Howard over the last few years I really forgot how similar their games are.  Hes a monster like Dwight Howard when he gets the ball in the paint.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 07:58:25 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 10:38:11 PM »
Right after I post this the Suns lose by 30 on their home court to Detroit...they are 1-2 since Shaq got there and after Sunday's game it doesn't look like its going to click any time soon.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 11:26:35 PM »
Right after I post this the Suns lose by 30 on their home court to Detroit...they are 1-2 since Shaq got there and after Sunday's game it doesn't look like its going to click any time soon.

Give them time, the Suns are better equiped for the playoffs this year, wether that's enough remains to be seen but I really believe they are better off.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 06:01:41 AM »
Lot of talk about Shaq and rightly so, but i see Suns role players Diaw and Grant Hill as also being difference makers one way or the other.  Will they both be playoff consistent?

Shaq-Stoudamire-Nash i think we know what is gonna happen in playoffs.  Hill has to live down his forever injury status and if Diaw has Odomlike disappearance games it will cost the Suns.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 07:44:58 AM »
...they are 1-2 since Shaq got there and after Sunday's game it doesn't look like its going to click any time soon.

Actually they are 4-4 since Marion left and 1-2 with Shaq suiting up.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 10:20:10 AM »
I must say I think the word for the loss to Detroit is "ominous".   It's hard to put too much emphasis on one game in the regular season but wow, for the Suns to get spanked that badly is unnerving. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 11:32:20 AM »
I thought the most telling thing about the blowout of the Suns by the Pistons was the look in Steve Nash's eyes at the end of the game -- it was like "what have we done!"

Shaq helps the Suns but losing Marion was a huge loss -- I still believe that he was their best overall player.  Nash doesn't play defense and while Nash is vital to their offense -- Marion was vital to their defense (as well as their offense).  Marion was the Suns 2nd best offensive player and their best defensive player.  Shaq has gotten into good game shape but I don't think he can handle the minutes that the Suns would need him to in order to win a championship.  Shaq creates space when he has the ball in his hands but Phoenix isn't going to run the offense through Shaq -- they are going to run it through Nash and Stoudamire.  Shaq creates spacing problems as well -- it allow defenders to crowd the paint more. 

The Suns aren't going to be as bad as they looked against the Pistons -- but I don't think they are going to be as good as some (esp. Suns management, players and fans) hoped they would be by adding Shaq. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:51:40 AM »
I thought the most telling thing about the blowout of the Suns by the Pistons was the look in Steve Nash's eyes at the end of the game -- it was like "what have we done!"

Shaq helps the Suns but losing Marion was a huge loss -- I still believe that he was their best overall player.  Nash doesn't play defense and while Nash is vital to their offense -- Marion was vital to their defense (as well as their offense).  Marion was the Suns 2nd best offensive player and their best defensive player.  Shaq has gotten into good game shape but I don't think he can handle the minutes that the Suns would need him to in order to win a championship.  Shaq creates space when he has the ball in his hands but Phoenix isn't going to run the offense through Shaq -- they are going to run it through Nash and Stoudamire.  Shaq creates spacing problems as well -- it allow defenders to crowd the paint more. 

The Suns aren't going to be as bad as they looked against the Pistons -- but I don't think they are going to be as good as some (esp. Suns management, players and fans) hoped they would be by adding Shaq. 

Maion was not going to make the difference in the paint, that is where the Suns were getting killed.  When a nothing stiff like Kwame was a difference maker inside you have major problems.  Marion was not going to stop Kobe, Dirk or TD, those guys are a given to make an impact in a game and there is nothing most teams can do about it BUT when marginal or stiff players are ALSO making a difference the way Kwame did a few years back then you are doomed.  The Suns are no longer doomed when facing a power like Kwame or Dampier because of Shaq.  Granted Marion was a huge loss but again they needed to so something to address their biggest fault.  The Suns did that and now it remains to be seen if it will be enough, I agree it probably won't but IMO they are better after the trade.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 12:49:09 PM »
Marion is a waay overated player.  He can't create his own shot on offense, and anyone trying to defend him in the half-court can do so, since he can't shoot when someone is on him.

He's a good defender and fit in well with Phoenix because Nash could find him, but the Heat don't have a great point guard and he's useless in a half-court offense.

It was necessary for Phoenix to drop Shawn because he can't play the type of game they needed him to, to be effective.

The Suns still have to figure out how to play defense and they also have to learn how to execute against a pressure defense like Detroit's.  I didn't see the game so I won't comment on it other than to say it will take the Suns time to become a team with Shaq.  And they have to learn how to play defense, something they just haven't done.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 02:00:52 PM »
I must say I think the word for the loss to Detroit is "ominous".   It's hard to put too much emphasis on one game in the regular season but wow, for the Suns to get spanked that badly is unnerving. 

I agree.  However, I also watched the Suns victory over Boston Friday and Boston couldn't throw a pea in the ocean.  Both Pierce and Allen shot horribly and missed wide open looks that they both normally knock down.  This was a game that Boston lost more than the Suns won.  It was as much an anomaly, IMO, as was the Suns/Detroit game. 

WOW may be right, it will take them time to gel, but I don't see it.  I see a team that gave up their best defender, for a slow old Shaq who's a shell of his former self.  Sure, if he focuses solely on rebounding he can grab 10-15 boards / game.  Wow, great!  But for every one blocked shot or diving for loose ball highlight, Shaq gets smoked on D 3 or 4 times and throws up three or four clanks that are shots taken away from Nash/Amare/Barbosa/Hill.  I'll take that ratio if I'm the opponent any day of the week. 

The Suns looked slow on Friday and Sunday.  They looked good on Weds against the Lakers, but I think, as I said before the game, that they were so jacked up on adrenaline that they'd play great and they did.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:05:38 PM by msc »

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 08:34:21 PM »
Marion is far better than most are giving him credit -- the problem is that the Heat don't have any presence inside so there is no reason to keep teams honest in their spacing.  Teams can collapse on Wade and Marion -- they will dare other players to beat them.  You can't blame Marion for not excelling with the Heat.  The Heat are playing a bunch of young players and they recognize they are rebuilding.  Sure, Marion can't guard post players -- but he is a great defender in the backcourt.  I don't think Marion is worth the max but he could be a tremendous help to many teams in the NBA.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 09:25:56 PM »

Maion was not going to make the difference in the paint, that is where the Suns were getting killed.  When a nothing stiff like Kwame was a difference maker inside you have major problems.  Marion was not going to stop Kobe, Dirk or TD, those guys are a given to make an impact in a game and there is nothing most teams can do about it BUT when marginal or stiff players are ALSO making a difference the way Kwame did a few years back then you are doomed.  The Suns are no longer doomed when facing a power like Kwame or Dampier because of Shaq.  Granted Marion was a huge loss but again they needed to so something to address their biggest fault.  The Suns did that and now it remains to be seen if it will be enough, I agree it probably won't but IMO they are better after the trade.

Right WOW but the Suns were getting killed on perimeter defense as well and Shaq is not going to make a difference out there.  When you are playing in a conference with guys like Kobe, Manu, Baron Davis, Tracy McGrady, etc...it matters if you have decent perimeter defense.  Kwame had an impact in 2 games in a series 2 years ago.  Last year he didn't dominate anything nor did he make a huge impact. 

Whether Shaq helps in the middle or not it irrelevant.  Losing Marion has turned them into a sub .500 basketball team thus far.  They are 5-6 since he left.  In order to get better they need to replace what Marion brought AND get better in the middle.  Just getting better in the middle is not working so far.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 11:03:48 PM »
Another double digit loss to a playoff bound team?

15 and 7 is not going to get them a championship.  While I dont think it will happen it would be funny to see them drop to 6-7th in the west come playoff time.