Author Topic: Bibby Traded to Atlanta  (Read 10043 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bibby Traded to Atlanta
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 10:57:04 AM »
After the Lakers "built" an 18 point lead in the 1st I lost interest.  30 point lead in the 3rd wasn't enough to bring me back.

It actually got to 40 points at one point last night...
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 12:17:58 PM »
Artest is as much of a fighter as Melo is. He just screams and yells and plays physical, but when a guy with some balls faces him down, he backs away . . . or goes and lays down on the scorer's table where three of his teammates can guard him. I watched Ron Ron back down from Harping this year, and Harp is smaller. Artest is the master of the "c'mon bro hold me back hold me back or I'm gonna kill this guy okay bro he's getting closer pull me back a little faster" move. Whereas, Melo is the master of "dude's bros be holdin' him back, think I'll jack the sucka to show people how much of a bad ass I am what do you mean that makes me a punk bitch foo?" move.

BTW, Ted, I hope you do know that Artest flat out can NOT confront anyone on the court ever again if he wants to continue playing in the NBA. That little fact DID cross your mind in his confrontation with Harpring, I am sure.

Right?

Poor misunderstood Ron Artest.
Punched a fan.
Now he can't be man.

Personally, I have a theory. He went after the pencil-necked Detroit fan instead of the obviously knuckle-headed tough guy who actually threw the beer because he knew the little guy probably wouldn't fight back.

JoMal, I understand what it's like to have to cheer for a total dickhead. We had Karl Malone on our team. And when he's playing well, you like the fact that he's a dirty swine on the court. You like it when he splays open Isiah's forehead and knocks out David Robinson (for some reason, the nicest NBA player I never liked), but when's he's gone to another team for a title shot because he didn't have the stuff to bring one to your team, you won't like him as much.

Ron Artest is a chest-beating, taunt-screaming, fight-fearing punk. The fact that he can NOT get into another confrontation is moot (and his own fault by the way); he ran from both Boozer and Harpring on the same night. WUSS.

And, Ted, I also understand homerism just fine and how you can be proud of your players for their on-court antics, while they play for YOUR team. But the reputation of the Jazz - in the post-Malone era, that is - of being thugs and deviants who like to inflict pain rather then basketball strategy on opponents to instill fear in them makes your Artest comments something like the pot calling the kettle black. From the point of view of some other team, I could let it slide, but the Jazz have never had a reputation of being soft and neither has Artest, regardless of your rather lame attempts to imply he is when playing the likes of Matt Harpring (!) or Carlos Boozer.

Plus to what end was the result? The next game played by the Jazz against the Kings, they lost by 13 points and could not bully the likes of Quincy Douby or John Salmons, neither of whom come close to the apparent awe-inspiring drivel you think Ron Artest deserves from some sort of face-down by not one, according to you, but TWO Utah players, one of whom is much bigger and plays a different position then Artest.

They tried to provoke Artest in that game played in Utah, but clearly had no thoughts of duplicating that once on the road against the Kings in Sacramento. Why, if it was so affective at home, would they, in your words, clearly WUSS out, on the road? Because THAT is the definition of cowards, not what Artest did in a hostile environment, both in Detroit and Salt Lake City. You can call what he did in the Motor City plenty of adjectives, and THEY ARE ALL DESERVED, including stupid, thoughtless, destructive, and certainly long-lasting in his case for the rest of his NBA career, but implying he could not take on either Harpring or Boozer, one-on-one, and not, as you implied, ganged up on, is short-sighted, to be polite about it.

Artest will carry the dregs of his mistakes the rest of his life as well as for the rest of his NBA career, but watching him showing any kind of restraint, under the circumstances he faced on the road in Utah, and then essentially mocking him for doing it, and from a fan of the most embarassing thug team of our era, is the height of hypocracy and persecution.

And if the Jazz can not or will not play to the same thug levels on the road, gutless as well. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
I can and do rip on Artest for a lot of things.  He's brought it upon himself. 

One thing; however, I won't attack him for is not allowing himself to be goaded by the opposition.  I didn't see the game in question, but if in fact Harpring, or Boozer, or any player tried to get under his skin and Artest walked away, I would commend him for that.  As Chris Rock would say, "That's what you're SUPPOSED to do!". 

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 01:22:10 PM »
I can and do rip on Artest for a lot of things.  He's brought it upon himself. 

One thing; however, I won't attack him for is not allowing himself to be goaded by the opposition.  I didn't see the game in question, but if in fact Harpring, or Boozer, or any player tried to get under his skin and Artest walked away, I would commend him for that.  As Chris Rock would say, "That's what you're SUPPOSED to do!". 

Well.... he kinda walked away. He did get tech'd up twice and kicked out of the game in the fourth, but considering what Harpring and Boozer were trying to do to him, it was a victory of sorts that Artest simply walked off the court, slapping hands with his teammates as he went, while boo's rained down on him, as they did all game long.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 01:34:13 PM »
^^Yeah, I'd say that's a triumph for Ron.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 02:12:23 PM »
I'd say having the patience of a mature adult and NOT getting tech'd up twice and taking it to the Jazz until the last fraction of the last second of the game ticked off the clock and perhaps, but not necessarily, getting the win would have been more of a triumph for Ron. <shrug>

. . . and since when did the Jazz become Bad Boys Pistons Ocks-Style, goodness JoMal, but you have a flair for the dramatic.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:14:12 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 02:17:04 PM »
Baby steps, Skandery, baby steps ...   ;)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 03:07:44 PM »
I'd say having the patience of a mature adult and NOT getting tech'd up twice and taking it to the Jazz until the last fraction of the last second of the game ticked off the clock and perhaps, but not necessarily, getting the win would have been more of a triumph for Ron. <shrug>

. . . and since when did the Jazz become Bad Boys Pistons Ocks-Style, goodness JoMal, but you have a flair for the dramatic.

Allow this old man his senior moments, youngster. And having a flair for dramatic is the bread and butter of Dabod's arena,is it not? 

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 03:21:46 PM »
. . . Tis true, tis true.

Please continue I think you were in the middle of, ". . and lo as Harprings evil laugh reigned maniacly down across the backdrop of the Great Burn, Ronaldus Artestius stood grim and resolute to foil his nefarious plans . . ."   

Baby steps, Skandery, baby steps ...
:D

Hey msc, why do I feel like you're Richard Dreyfuss and I'm Bill Murray.

"Babystep to 4 o'clock, Babystep to 4 o'clock!!"
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2008, 03:37:52 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.  From JoMaL's post you would have thought the Jazz play basketball like the NY Giants defense in the super bowl.  Since when did they get so dirty and cheap?  They've always been a hard nosed team but as far as going to take guys heads off, nah.  I don't see it.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 03:40:14 PM »

Please continue I think you were in the middle of, ". . and lo as Harprings evil laugh reigned maniacly down across the backdrop of the Great Burn, Ronaldus Artestius stood grim and resolute to foil his nefarious plans . . ."   

....did it really come across sounding like that?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 03:41:27 PM »

....did it really come across sounding like that?

Yes..it read like a script for battlestar galactica

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 03:44:51 PM »
. . . Battlestar Galactica with writers on loan from "Days of Our Lives" and the screen-writer from "Terms of Endearment".

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 04:22:01 PM »
. . . Battlestar Galactica with writers on loan from "Days of Our Lives" and the screen-writer from "Terms of Endearment".

I was thinking more along the lines of "Schindlers List". (sic?)
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 05:36:28 PM »

Hey msc, why do I feel like you're Richard Dreyfuss and I'm Bill Murray.

"Babystep to 4 o'clock, Babystep to 4 o'clock!!"

:D