Author Topic: Bibby Traded to Atlanta  (Read 10050 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Bibby Traded to Atlanta
« on: February 16, 2008, 04:34:55 PM »
for pretty much junk (expiring contracts and the disappointing Shelden Williams):
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/717681.html

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bibby Traded to Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 05:25:20 PM »
Does this manuever give any way, shape or form a read on what might happen with Artest?

"Also on Saturday, the Kings requested waivers on forward Justin Williams and guard Dahntay Jones."
Oh goodie goodie, they're clearing roster spots?

Just posturing by the Kings to get a better deal >> Kings' Artest says he's no longer lobbying for trade
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3249812

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 12:49:36 AM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 09:58:55 PM »
This is a great move for my team. 

Shelden could be a steal if he plays back up to his abilities.  There was a month where he averaged 11/10 in his rookie season.  I don't know what happened to the guy but he has potential.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 10:23:35 AM »
"Also on Saturday, the Kings requested waivers on forward Justin Williams and guard Dahntay Jones."
Oh goodie goodie, they're clearing roster spots?

They had to...they got 4 players for Bibby.  There are no extra roster spots unless they cut more players.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 02:18:03 PM »
They fully broke up the core that ALMOST got them the championship with Bibby leaving town.

*pours out some Sactown back woods hooch*
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 04:10:09 PM »
for pretty much junk (expiring contracts and the disappointing Shelden Williams):
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/717681.html

Basically true, but three of the four players the Kings got for Bibby HAVE those expiring contracts Petrie wants to clear cap space, and the fourth, Williams, needs to prove his NBA worth yet, so remains of interest. He was a #5 pick two years ago, and came out of NCAA powerhouse Duke, so he should know the game. Tyrone Lue is also of interest to the Boston Celtics, for some reason, and could be moved by Thursday.

The big question this trade caused me was the releasing of Williams and (to a lesser extent) Jones. It had to be done, but Williams is of more interest then Wright because of his athleticism, and Jones is something of a defensive stud off the bench, whereas both Lue and Johnson are PG's and the Kings do not need both.

One thing is very clear. Petrie is not done yet, so this trade will have to be reviewed again after the next one takes place. He and the Nuggets have apparently picked up the phones once again to talk about Artest, where Carmelo Anthony, for one, has been lobbying for Denver to obtain via a trade as the missing piece for playoff placement and competitiveness. The key players from Denver remain Kleiza and Najera, but since that alone has not made the trade happen, it would seem that Petrie is waiting for a sweetener to enchance the pot. That would be a draft pick or perhaps the involvement of a third team into the negotiations. Though adamently denied by Petrie, Indiana has been rumored to be that third team and the player involved (who would go to the Kings) is none other then Jermaine O'Neal.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 04:12:35 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 04:41:18 PM »
I don't understand Carmelo and Denver wanting Artest.  He plays the same position as CA.  How is that going to work, will they put Artest at the 4? 

Also, Klieza and Najera are way too much to give up for Artest.  I wouldn't even trade Kleiza straight up for him (assuming the salaries matched, which they I'm sure they don't).  The only thing Artest has proven he can do is botch a team. 

I realize Denver is so horrible at D that they are desparate to do anything to fortify that end of the court, but man, this whole proposition just baffles me. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 04:49:51 PM »
Melo is looking for "fighting" lessons.  And figured that he would look to an expert.  Simple as that.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 06:19:34 PM »
Artest is as much of a fighter as Melo is. He just screams and yells and plays physical, but when a guy with some balls faces him down, he backs away . . . or goes and lays down on the scorer's table where three of his teammates can guard him. I watched Ron Ron back down from Harping this year, and Harp is smaller. Artest is the master of the "c'mon bro hold me back hold me back or I'm gonna kill this guy okay bro he's getting closer pull me back a little faster" move. Whereas, Melo is the master of "dude's bros be holdin' him back, think I'll jack the sucka to show people how much of a bad ass I am what do you mean that makes me a punk bitch foo?" move.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 08:13:46 PM »
Artest is as much of a fighter as Melo is. He just screams and yells and plays physical, but when a guy with some balls faces him down, he backs away . . . or goes and lays down on the scorer's table where three of his teammates can guard him. I watched Ron Ron back down from Harping this year, and Harp is smaller. Artest is the master of the "c'mon bro hold me back hold me back or I'm gonna kill this guy okay bro he's getting closer pull me back a little faster" move. Whereas, Melo is the master of "dude's bros be holdin' him back, think I'll jack the sucka to show people how much of a bad ass I am what do you mean that makes me a punk bitch foo?" move.

Hope you got all that out of your system, Ted.

Now don't do it again.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 12:12:07 PM »

BTW, Ted, I hope you do know that Artest flat out can NOT confront anyone on the court ever again if he wants to continue playing in the NBA. That little fact DID cross your mind in his confrontation with Harpring, I am sure.

Right?

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 06:16:11 PM »
It's Artest's own fault.

Harpring is just as dirty, but not as BLATANT.  Stealth counts.

Harpring rocks.  Can't shoot, though.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 11:46:21 PM »

BTW, Ted, I hope you do know that Artest flat out can NOT confront anyone on the court ever again if he wants to continue playing in the NBA. That little fact DID cross your mind in his confrontation with Harpring, I am sure.

Right?

Poor misunderstood Ron Artest.
Punched a fan.
Now he can't be man.

Personally, I have a theory. He went after the pencil-necked Detroit fan instead of the obviously knuckle-headed tough guy who actually threw the beer because he knew the little guy probably wouldn't fight back.

JoMal, I understand what it's like to have to cheer for a total dickhead. We had Karl Malone on our team. And when he's playing well, you like the fact that he's a dirty swine on the court. You like it when he splays open Isiah's forehead and knocks out David Robinson (for some reason, the nicest NBA player I never liked), but when's he's gone to another team for a title shot because he didn't have the stuff to bring one to your team, you won't like him as much.

Ron Artest is a chest-beating, taunt-screaming, fight-fearing punk. The fact that he can NOT get into another confrontation is moot (and his own fault by the way); he ran from both Boozer and Harpring on the same night. WUSS.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 10:33:36 AM »
He hurt his heel last night and looked HORRIBLE.  Almost like he had actual butter on his hands last night.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 10:52:41 AM »
After the Lakers "built" an 18 point lead in the 1st I lost interest.  30 point lead in the 3rd wasn't enough to bring me back.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"