Author Topic: Rating the draft  (Read 7679 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rating the draft
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 01:57:51 PM »
10. (120) Shane Battier SF
I got great approval for this pick from you ... and can't understand, why? Never really understood the value of great defenders in fantasy leagues. Their value doesn't show and it shows ...

atom2030,

The value of Shane Battier lies not in the fact that he'll give you jaw-dropping numbers but in the fact that he contributes POSITIVELY to almost every single category in our league (11), FTM and Points being the only weak categories.  Notice for instance that while he's averaged 35 minutes a game through the first 5 games, he's accumulated ONLY 5 Turnovers, by far his most dominant category!  1 TO for every 35 minutes of game time played .  While still contributing 1 steal, 1 block, and nearly 2 three pointers per game, do a quick survery of how many players give that to you in one package.  I also expect his 8.6 ppg to go up when his percentages climb back to his career averages, especially FG% and FT%.  He won't single handedly help you run away with a category, but he'll do his part in most every category, most every week.  He's a mid-tier, across the board producer and you'll soon find those kind of players (Childress, M. Miller, Prince, Granger, Dunleavy, etc.) are absolutely indispensible.  Did you realize that while Shane finished with a below average 10.1 ppg last year, he finished as the 38th ranked player in Yahoo! . . . and you got him with pick 120.  That's why I was so high on that selection.

Skander 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline atom2030

• AOL Instant Messenger - atom2030
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomp22000
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 04:39:29 PM »
thanks for explaining that to me.
I really got a lot to learn ...

:o
===============================
Felix Skydivers '13
In honor of Felix Baumgartners adventures
... and not just because he's Austrian too

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 07:55:06 PM »
thanks for explaining that to me.
I really got a lot to learn ...

:o

You're gonna find that even though everyone is pretty competitive, everyone is also very helpful.  No big secrets after the draft.

BUT no matter what, do NOT fall for Joe V.'s aka Genghis, trickery!!!!!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 01:22:48 AM »
Personally, I really feel like I'm going to struggle - and I don't say that just because Brandon Roy was 2-of-10 from the field tonight.  :)

My team is too much a mix of up-and-coming youngsters and older vets whose careers are on the down-swing.  Besides, even if everyone exceeds my expectations, I'm not strong enough in any one category to swipe it every week.  Points?  Definitely not.  Boards?  Nope.  Assists?  Not likely.

See a pattern here?

I guess the consolation is that if my team misses the playoffs - a no-doubter in my mind - at least I'll have a good shot at one of the big four players who can't be kept after this year ... Gasol, Bosh, Arenas and Chris Paul.  Add one of those guys to both of my presumably young keepers and that's not a bad start.

Hey, there's always next year!

Haha.  Went back and was reading over this thread ... came upon that post.

Hey, I guess I just don't know what the hell I'm talking about!?

In all seriousness, it's amazing that my first four draft picks (the youngsters - Jefferson, Roy, West, Granger) have ALL played above and beyond my expectations.  I was predicting at least one of them (if not TWO) to flop and/or not improve.  But you add Hedo and Brad Miller to those guys (plus my keepers, natch) and that's why I'm in the position I'm in.

Who knew?
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 10:24:31 AM »
Wolverine's Gunners

Chauncey Billups and Joe Johnson were the keepers and those two guys go a long ways to solving you're backcourt problem.  You worry a little about Chauncey regressing as he gets older but I would think he should be fine for this year.  He took Al Jefferson with the first pick to shore up the front court--and I think Jefferson could be monstrous in Minny. 

The Good
Brad Miller (80) I like because even if he reverts to mediocre Brad of last year--he'll still have been worth the 80th pick.  I like Grant Hill (104), it might have been a tad early but you have to love the prospects in Phoenix and you knew you had to reach a little to get him on the roster.  Elton Brand (128) is very saavy and Turkoglu (137) is an amazing pick that late.   
The Bad
I love, LOVE Brandon Roy as much as the next guy but (41) is too early for a sophomore with persistent heel issues.  (PG,SG) eligibility is nice but you've kept two PG eligible players and Kevin Martin, Caron Butler, and Manu Ginobili were still there.  Maxiell (113) is a nice sleeper but he sure is buried in Detroit, I'd have gone a safer route with guys like Krstic (115), Millsap (119), and Battier (120).   
The Ugly
Shaquille, lovably referred to as Fatquille but WOW, at (89).  There are two kinds of people in this world, some who think Shaq still has great days ahead of him and a 75 game season in the offing and those that think he won't be much more than Eddy Curry for about 45 games.  I'm closer to the latter camp but I've been wrong before.
Prediction
The Gunners are a well-balanced and all it would take is a banner year from his mid-round picks like Granger, David West, and Brad Miller to make this team a very strong team.  You're probably looking at a playoff team. 

That's what I predicted about your team.  Was I dead on or what?  You ended up dropping Shaquille.  Hedo has been amazing and more.  Your mid picks all had banner years and suprise, you are very strong. 

Who knew?

I did.  8)
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 01:07:41 PM »
Wolverine's Gunners

Chauncey Billups and Joe Johnson were the keepers and those two guys go a long ways to solving you're backcourt problem.  You worry a little about Chauncey regressing as he gets older but I would think he should be fine for this year.  He took Al Jefferson with the first pick to shore up the front court--and I think Jefferson could be monstrous in Minny. 

The Good
Brad Miller (80) I like because even if he reverts to mediocre Brad of last year--he'll still have been worth the 80th pick.  I like Grant Hill (104), it might have been a tad early but you have to love the prospects in Phoenix and you knew you had to reach a little to get him on the roster.  Elton Brand (128) is very saavy and Turkoglu (137) is an amazing pick that late.   
The Bad
I love, LOVE Brandon Roy as much as the next guy but (41) is too early for a sophomore with persistent heel issues.  (PG,SG) eligibility is nice but you've kept two PG eligible players and Kevin Martin, Caron Butler, and Manu Ginobili were still there.  Maxiell (113) is a nice sleeper but he sure is buried in Detroit, I'd have gone a safer route with guys like Krstic (115), Millsap (119), and Battier (120).   
The Ugly
Shaquille, lovably referred to as Fatquille but WOW, at (89).  There are two kinds of people in this world, some who think Shaq still has great days ahead of him and a 75 game season in the offing and those that think he won't be much more than Eddy Curry for about 45 games.  I'm closer to the latter camp but I've been wrong before.
Prediction
The Gunners are a well-balanced and all it would take is a banner year from his mid-round picks like Granger, David West, and Brad Miller to make this team a very strong team.  You're probably looking at a playoff team. 

That's what I predicted about your team.  Was I dead on or what?  You ended up dropping Shaquille.  Hedo has been amazing and more.  Your mid picks all had banner years and suprise, you are very strong. 

Who knew?

I did.  8)

Oh, no, no, no, no, NO!

You said Brandon Roy was too EARLY!!!

:D
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41