Author Topic: Rating the draft  (Read 7678 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Rating the draft
« on: October 27, 2007, 06:01:26 PM »
I can only do my one at the time.  I screwed up BIG TIME.  Bobby Simmons was my BIG sleeeper for this draft and I totally forgot about him, didn't even prerank him.  I would have picked him around round 8 but I screwed up big time.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rating the draft
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
Skander's friend Tim F'd up my draft!  Literally he picked like 3-4 guys I REALLY wanted a few picks before me when it was coming back to the top.

I think I did average this time around.  Just like last year.  Hopefully guys I gambled on (Kaman AGAIN) can have decent years.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 10:40:59 PM »
I'm very happy with my draft.  I like the players I picked up, I think I can be competitive in the league with them, and I'll enjoy watching the players I have play.  This isn't as strong a draft as my first year (Duncan, Nash, Malone, Jamison, Szczerbiak, Antonio Davis, Butler, Hamilton), but it looks to me like one of my stronger ones.

I'm open to injuries - Kirilenko and McGrady are notorious for missing games.  But I really like the flexibility of the team.  I can go small, with a lineup that includes Mo Williams, Hinrich, McGrady, Kirilenko, Gasol, and Jarret Jack/Randy Foye, or I can go big with Hinrich, McGrady, Kirilenko, Gasol, Duncan, Bogut.  Plus, of the players I have, the only one I'm not really a fan of is McGrady.

I really like this team a lot.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 12:55:28 AM »
Skander's friend Tim F'd up my draft!  Literally he picked like 3-4 guys I REALLY wanted a few picks before me when it was coming back to the top.

I think I did average this time around.  Just like last year.  Hopefully guys I gambled on (Kaman AGAIN) can have decent years.

IF Kaman is going to do anything it's going to be THIS year.  I think he could be a great pickup for you.  I wanted the guy as well, him and Magette should do very well with Brand being down the whole year.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 05:59:17 PM »

IF Kaman is going to do anything it's going to be THIS year.  I think he could be a great pickup for you.  I wanted the guy as well, him and Magette should do very well with Brand being down the whole year.

That is what I was thinking.  I mean he is going to get a lot more touches and should be able to grab more rebounds now that Brand is out with his injury.

One thing I am worried about is my lack of depth at the PF spot.  I had to pick up Abdul-Rahim just to have SOMETHING because Odom is injury prone.

Joe I thought you and Tim did very well in the draft actually.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 11:24:03 AM »
That is what I was thinking.  I mean he is going to get a lot more touches and should be able to grab more rebounds now that Brand is out with his injury.

The flip side is he is foul prone, with the added responsibilities he's going to be put into situations where he could pick up alot of fouls.  Hopefully he will figure out how to play extended minutes and stay out of foul trouble.

One thing I am worried about is my lack of depth at the PF spot.  I had to pick up Abdul-Rahim just to have SOMETHING because Odom is injury prone.

That's what trades are for, check around, some big trades have gone down in our league.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 01:25:27 PM »
First I gotta say, Joe setting up the Ventrilo software so that we could chat over the speakers was pretty cool.  WayOutWest was the only guy that set it up to work and it was fun hearing the man behind the myth.  The Artest headcase comment and Ricky Davis had me cracked up, Miguel.  
===============================================================================
Onto the Draft Analysis Analysis:  It was opined by various, studious participants that Kevin Durant has been likened to Carmelo Anthony . . . meaning, he's a black guy.  Juan Carlos Navarro has been likened to Jose Calderon . . . meaning, he's a spanish dude.
======================================
Enough of that, onto the real anaylsis.

Vienna Visionaries

The team decided to go with Deng when it couldn't keep Emeka Okafor.  Since bigs are almost always at such a premium, I probably would have decided on Boozer (FC), instead of a swing (more common position) like Deng.  Though you have to love the upside of Deng and I'd say his ceiling is probably higher than Boozer's.  He did draft young Center, Dwight Howard with the first overall pick --- ruining the day of our Wolverine.    
The Good
Felton (48) was a good pick, if not a tad early. Stojakovic and Tinsley (if he gets his injuries behind him) were alright picks.  Shane Battier (120) was probably the best selection made by the team--value wise.  Yi Jianlian has been promised time, but whether he is 32 picks more valuable than Charlie V. remains to be seen.  Simmons (144) was picked to have a bounce back year and I think it's likely.    
The Bad
Monta Ellis' crowded situation (especially with a guy like Belinelli waiting in the wings) makes his selection at (49) dubious especially when safer people like Mike Miller (50) were still there.  Larry Hughes (121) was picked for a bounce back year and I think that's unlikely--I'd have gone for guys like Mobley (125), Korver (130), Nocioni (132), and Turkoglu (137).
The Ugly
KENYON MARTIN at (72)!!  If he has anywhere near the value of the next 12 guys picked after him--I'll be flabbergasted.  I think Kenyon could've been had 5-6 rounds later.  I call this the Reach of the entire draft.
Prediction
The manager is banking on a lot of A LOT of people to bounce back from mediocrity and especially injury.  If at least half those gambles don't pay off, making the playoffs will be a challenge.  

Westside Warriors

Westkoast helms this team and I must say had an improved performance over last year.  He kept Chris Paul (Awesome) and Leandro Barbosa (Awful).  When you have surefire All-Stars in McGrady and O'Neal and keep a guy like Barbosa--really just an offensive sparkplug off the bench--you're unnecessarily handicapping yourself, Barbosa likely would have been there for wk in Round 4.  With that said, he did have a sneaky good draft, if a little uneven.  
The Good
D. Wade, Odom, and Mike Miller were amazing picks to start a draft.  And it continued with Artest (which at 74!!!!! is just SILLY value), Tayshaun Prince (98), Paul Millsap (119), and Jason Kapono (146)
The Bad
Kaman (71) could be nice but he's got to prove he is something more than a 1 year wonder.  You don't know how Barnes (122) will adjust to a new situation and Posey (146) adjusts to a new team.  
The Ugly
He is without Wade for the first month and the team is thin at Center with Kaman and Bynum the only players who qualify at C.  I happen to think Bynum will do well but if he doesn't take definitive steps forward this season, wk will struggle mightily in the middle.  
Prediction
It'll take some relative health from Odom and a shrewd FA pickup or a trade for a legitimate Center and this team is a shoe-in for the playoffs.  

The Supes

The Supes kept Shawn Marion and Ray Allen.  Shawn Marion is the yearly #1 roto player and great piece to build around provided no wacky trades to destinations that don't make sense for him.  Allen will score less in Boston but you hope it comes with an increase in efficiency.  Good core.  
The Good
I think Lewis (27) was a good pick and Durant (46) is very intriguing and a keeper prospect.  Ben Wallace (70) and Bibby (75) you have to think are pretty good value picks.
The Bad
Rasheed Wallace (51) is a great across the board producer but losing C status hurts his value and you have to wonder how long Saunders puts up with his shenanigans.  
The Ugly
Again, very thin at Center -- Ben Wallace (on the decline) and Wilcox (perpetual underperformer) are only qualified C, so far.
The Prediction
The Supes had a solid draft, with solid picks but no blindside picks that make you go wow.  The team should be competitive if things fall into place, but I see it as vulnerable.

Ted's Bricklayers

Ted kept Deron Williams and Chris Bosh, a great outside-inside combo.  Ted definitely enjoyed picking a lot of the players I was eyeing, especially early on.  I built an ENTIRE draft strategy around having Gerald Wallace be my first pick, Ted tore all those dreams asunder.  I made the mistake of thinking maybe Okur will fall to me in the 5th round, Ted nixed that little hope quick (a couple picks after my 4th round pick in fact!)

The Good
He pissed me off and probably takes joy in that so that's good.  The top of his draft was pristine Wallace, Okur, Maggette (especially now w/o Brand), T.J. Ford (69), Richard Jefferson (76), all great picks.
The Bad
The second half of his draft was very ho-hum.  Jackson's a headcase, Wells is a headcase, Fisher and Cassell are dinosaurs, and McCants is intriguing but injury prone.  
The Ugly
Eddy Curry.  A guy so bad there is a negative fantasy analysis called the Curry Line dedicated to his awfulness.   You calculate the players Ast, Stl, Blk:TO ratio and assign the ranks.  Eddy Curry is every year, by far and away the worst player in the NBA (why the Eddy Curry Line is named after him) struggling to reach 0.5 in many years.  That means he struggles to get HALF the number of TOs in Ast, Stl, and Blk COMBINED!  To say nothing of the fact that he doesn't rebound well and Z-Bo just got traded to his team.  So those offensive numbers AND what little rebounds he did get will probably go down.  
Prediction
Fortunately for Ted, I think his team may be able to overcome Eddy Curry.  With some good participation and some soothing mental vibes for Maggette, S-Jax, and Bonzi, you're looking at a strong team.

Columbia Penguins

Tim had a suprisingly strong draft especially when you consider this was only his second fantasy basketball experience.  He kept Kevin Garnett and Josh Smith.  Garnett is and always has been a legit #1 pick overall, Josh Smith is an accumulation category monster with 2-guard eligibility.  A good start to say the least.

The Good
Butler (44) fell and Tim took advantage, Ginobili (53) fell and Tim took advantage, Randolph fell, Mobley fell, and even Corey Brewer (149) fell really deep as if people had forgotten that Ricky Davis was traded to Miami.  
The Bad
You wonder if Stephon Marbury precipitous fall into mediocrity will last or if Z-Bo will end up incarcerated with the temptations that await in New York.  Who is the real Channing Frye is a legitamate question but I have to say, I like him better in Portland now that he has the opportunity without Oden.
The Ugly
Tim's Top 2 Centers, Hilario and Collison both reaked of being panic picks.  I'm not saying they won't pan out but I wouldn't call the situation solid.  
Prediction
There are too many across the board Monsters (Garnett, J. Smith, Kidd, Butler, Ginobili, etc.) for this team not to do very well, even considering the Center issues.  

Norwegian Fjords

Yet another Jazz fan to steal my players.  I was hoping, praying, and dreaming about maybe Carlos Boozer falling but ultimately realizing the futility and subsequently drawing up a strategy to DRAFT GERALD WALLACE INSTEAD.  Thanks Ted!  With Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony --- its going to be a MAJOR event when this team loses the POINTS category.  If Boozer sticks to his 25 ppg ways, people might as well punt the category.  

The Good
Kevin Martin was out and out STOLEN at (54).  Okafor you'd think will do his fair share of making sure this team doesn't lose the BLKs category every week.  Miller, Lee, and Hamilton are solid but have their questions.
The Bad
Andre Miller is one year older and will be subject to trade talks all year, Lee is in a crowded frontcourt with a dim-wit coach, Hamilton's valuable but much like Carmelo doesn't do much beyond the scoring categories.  
The Ugly
I don't like the PG situation.  Jameer Nelson is a mediocre SCORING point guard and Mike Conley Jr. is 3rd on his team's depth chart thus far.  A. Miller will hold down the fort but for how long.  ...and Oh yeah that Kobe guy is none to happy about where he's at.
Prediction
This team is built to win every single week 6-5 and that's not a bad thing.  It's a little uneven but he drafted players to build around the strength of his keepers.  Lots of bad things would need to happen to keep this team out of the playoffs.          
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 01:31:09 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 06:15:55 PM »
Overall, I am very happy about my draft. Especially the parts where WoW and Skander were swearing at me. No seriously, I feel my keepers are strong, but it was hard to let go of Camby. But something told me I'd gotten enough out of him last year, and if I kept him again he'd go down for 30 games for sure.

Skander will probably convulse if I tell you that I was very uncertain about picking Gerald Wallace where I did. But my teams always seem to do better when I have at least one multi-category stud. So it was either GW or Camby, and we know what I thought about Camby. And now that I have my team filled out, I am extremely pleased with the GW pick. I see my depth chart breaking down as follows:

PG
Deron Williams
T.J. Ford
Derek Fisher
Sam Cassell
Rashad McCants

SG
Corey Maggette
Stephen Jackson
Bonzi Wells
Rashad McCants
Matt Carroll

SF
Gerald Wallace
Richard Jefferson
Corey Maggette
Stephen Jackson
Bonzi Wells (I expect him to earn eligibility here, but if he doesn't no big deal)

PF
Chris Bosh
Gerald Wallace
Mehmet Okur

C
Mehmet Okur
Chris Bosh
Eddy Curry

I may be wrong, but that roster looks pretty frickin' deep. Jackson is so much of a head case that Nellie made him team captain. And Maggette was on my radar screen the whole time, and then he was there later than I expected. I feel like I've got pretty good flexibility at each position. Eddy Curry, as my 3rd center, will rarely see the light of day because I've got better rebounders at other positions who will provide other stats as well.

I feel like Eddy Curry was my only real stretch in the 9th round, and my philosophy of not caring about turnovers kind of mitigates his major drawback. The fact that he rebounds like wuss doesn't matter to me much because, again, he's my third option at center. I took a flyer on McCants because he's got multi-position eligibility and is in a good spot in Minny. And he's looked good in preseason. Harpring was a bad pick, but I switched him out for some threes in Matt Carroll. And I've had a tiny hunch that Cassell may respond to the absence of Brand as some kind of challenge, like his first year in LA. So taking a chance on him in the 14th was a no brainer. Besides, he's my fourth option at PG, so big deal.

If I'm thin anywhere, it's with my bigs. Especially if Memo or Bosh go down. I'll be scrambling, but I've got some solid pieces I might be able to trade for a serviceable big man if I have to. Who knows, I may just end up sucking again, like last year. Or maybe I'll return to my 2005-2006 form when I dominated the regular season and crapped out in the playoffs by not setting my team for the weekend. Oh and by the way, DFish is not a fossil, and he's going to benefit from an unhappy Kobe's petty refusal to score--3pters all over the place! Good thing being a defensive liability isn't a fantasy stat. Anyone wonder why 2 guards lit up the Jazz last year? DFish.

Anyway, here are a few little thoughts I had during the draft about a few particular picks. If I have the energy, I'll give my analysis on all y'all's teams later.

Round 3
3. Rashard Lewis: The Supes. Thought this was too early. Don't know why. Maybe because Paul Pierce and Gerald W. are still available.
4. Gerald Wallace: Ted's Bricklayers. Still not sure it was the right pick. A healthy Camby is just about my favorite fantasy asset. Hopefully Wallace improves yet again. Gotta have my multi-category stud, and AK47 just ain't gonna do it no more.
9. Michael Redd: Archangel Un. Pretty early for somewhat one-dimensional player. Paul Pierce and VC were still available.
11. Marcus Camby: jerry lewis. Really nice pick up here. Killed me to not take him instead of Gerald Wallace. Jerry will be hard to beat in blocks.
12. Tracy McGrady: Genghis's Po. Just don't see him ever playing a full season ever ever ever.

Round 4
2. Paul Pierce: jerry lewis. IMO, total steal here. I don't care about the KG/Ray effect. This is Paul freakin' Pierce. At least three, maybe four inferior SGs taken before him. (Lewis, Redd, McGrady ?and maybe Vince). Not sure about RayRay.
9. Mehmet Okur. Ted's Bricklayers. Probably too early for Memo. But he's on the Jazz, he boards, he scores, and is going to hit even more threes this year. I now have my two of my three favorite Jazz players.

Round 5
1. Monta Ellis: Vienna Visionaries. Too early IMO. Monta doesn't defend and Belinelli is a better shooter and is slick. Meaning Monta probably won't see much more time than he did last year.
4. Corey Maggette: Ted's Bricklayers. I was very happy about this pick. And Miguel's reaction almost made me giggle. Two words can say so much.
12. Andrei Kirilenko: Genghis's Polar Bears. I wish you luck Joe. This man is dead to me. Who knows, maybe he'll man up and start balling again. I would love to like him again. When Deron threw down the gauntlet after the season, I initially cringed, but now I'm glad he did it. And his reasoning was solid. AK you want some glory, show some guts!

Round 6
1. Andrew Bogut: Genghis's Polar Bears. Seemed really early, but then again, big men are scarce.
9. T.J. Ford: Ted's Bricklayers. May have been a mistake. Point guards that can't shoot freak me out. Steals and assists will be nice though.

Round 7
4. Richard Jefferson: Ted's Bricklayers. Was going to pick Peja if he was still here, but then stumbled upon Jefferson. Couldn't believe he hadn't been taken. Took him.
10. Marvin Williams: Derek's Team. Round 10, maybe. Al Horford is better.
11. Boris Diaw: jerry lewis. Could be major mega steal. Especially if Amare's microfractured knee gives out, Jerry is sitting pretty here.

Round 8
1. Randy Foye: Genghis's Polar Bears. NICE.
9. Stephen Jackson: Ted's Bricklayers. My one big sleeper. No JRich, more action for new team captain.
12. Jamaal Tinsley: Vienna Visionaries. Made of TIN. Did you see that play on words? I am an English master. Jamaal Tinsley blows.

Round 9
1. Yi Jianlian: Vienna Visionaries. Great pick in 2009. J/K. What do I know?
4. Eddy Curry: Ted's Bricklayers. Caught a lot of flack for this. But I never pay attention to TOs, (maybe I should) and I needed a 3rd center. Points, FG%, and uh . . . um . . . oh yeah . . . 61% FTs. He's a 3rd center people. Take some valium.
5. Rajon Rondo. Columbia Penguins. Great pick. Dude is T.J. Ford junior, with a somewhat better shot.

Round 10
1. Ronnie Brewer: Genghis's Polar Bears. Lot of unknowns. I guess it is round 10. He does have a starting spot, so that's good.
3. Al Horford: Derek's Team. Derek's 4th rookie . . . Okay! Okay! I just said Al Horford is better than Marvin. Were you listening or something? Three rookies plus Marvin Williams. I was going for effect. IMO, Horford may be the best of the four. And yes, Belinelli played in Europe. I know. But seriously . . . three rookies? Gambla!
6. Raja Bell: Basketball Jihad. Stolen from me. I guess he owed me. Really wanted Raja's threes.
9. Bonzi Wells. Ted's Bricklayers. Raja was gone, and realized I wanted some more boards, and Bonzi is going to board. And Bonzi and Rick Adelman are good buddies . . . right?

Round 11
3. Chris Wilcox: The Supes. May turn out to be the steal of the draft if his recent injury isn't too serious. Nice job Supes. Oh wait, you weren't even there. Thanks for setting your excluded players list. ;)
8. Elton Brand: Wolverine. I thought about doing this in the next round.

Round 12
2. Luke Walton: jerry lewis. IMO, a decent pickup here. Good assists and % from the wing.
9. Rashad McCants: Ted's Bricklayers. I heard he could score in college.
12. Bobby Simmons: Vienna Visionaries. Good late round sleeper. Bounce-back year.

Round 13
1. Joakim Noah: Vienna Visionaries. Too many bigs in Chicago. May still earn time. I've heard his hustle is being appreciated by Scott the Psycho Skiles.
4. Matt Harpring: Ted's Bricklayers. Panic pick. Should have taken Varejao. (Eventually dropped for Matt Carroll, who may eventually be dropped for a serviceable big. Who knows?) Should have taken Varejao.

Round 14
5. Antoine Walker: Wolverine. Who knows. It just might work! ... But it won't. But who cares. It's the 14th round.

Great draft all. It was fun. Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 11:08:00 AM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 09:55:37 AM »
Good break down as usual Skand.

The reason for not keeping T-Mac was he, IMO, is just too injury prone.  I didn't want to have him when I felt I could grab a Wade or a better shooter (Miller).  I dont actually know how I had a brain fart with Jermaine O'Neal I don't remember seeing him in my roster for some reason when I decided who to keep.  I guess its not always smart to decide who you want after a bottle of wine lol

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 11:14:29 AM »
I dont actually know how I had a brain fart with Jermaine O'Neal I don't remember seeing him in my roster for some reason when I decided who to keep.

First off, thanks a ton wk for not taking JO, then again he hasn't played a full season in three years.  Two position players I really wanted were JO and either Pierce, Carter or Maggette, I was really hoping to land Magette cause I figured if I was lucky enough to get JO Pierce and Carter would not be around for my 2nd or 3rd pick, I almost took Maggette on my second pick but couldn't pass up on JRich.  Seems like the only other the guy in the league that likes Maggette as much me is Ted.  I know exactly how you feel about missing out on a player, I can't believe I forgot to put Simmons on my prerank list, total brain fart.  I was drafting by position instead of talent when I drafted Smush, tons of guys I could have taken, Bobby Simmons being the guy I should have taken at that spot.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 12:19:07 PM »
I dont actually know how I had a brain fart with Jermaine O'Neal I don't remember seeing him in my roster for some reason when I decided who to keep.

First off, thanks a ton wk for not taking JO, then again he hasn't played a full season in three years.  Two position players I really wanted were JO and either Pierce, Carter or Maggette, I was really hoping to land Magette cause I figured if I was lucky enough to get JO Pierce and Carter would not be around for my 2nd or 3rd pick, I almost took Maggette on my second pick but couldn't pass up on JRich.  Seems like the only other the guy in the league that likes Maggette as much me is Ted.  I know exactly how you feel about missing out on a player, I can't believe I forgot to put Simmons on my prerank list, total brain fart.  I was drafting by position instead of talent when I drafted Smush, tons of guys I could have taken, Bobby Simmons being the guy I should have taken at that spot.

Considering who I have at the 4 right now...major brain fart on my part.

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 01:20:27 AM »
Personally, I really feel like I'm going to struggle - and I don't say that just because Brandon Roy was 2-of-10 from the field tonight.  :)

My team is too much a mix of up-and-coming youngsters and older vets whose careers are on the down-swing.  Besides, even if everyone exceeds my expectations, I'm not strong enough in any one category to swipe it every week.  Points?  Definitely not.  Boards?  Nope.  Assists?  Not likely.

See a pattern here?

I guess the consolation is that if my team misses the playoffs - a no-doubter in my mind - at least I'll have a good shot at one of the big four players who can't be kept after this year ... Gasol, Bosh, Arenas and Chris Paul.  Add one of those guys to both of my presumably young keepers and that's not a bad start.

Hey, there's always next year!
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 09:10:59 AM »
Draft Analysis Part II

Basketball Jihad

WayOutWest loves his double D's and decided to stick with em' (Stop fondling 'em in front of the mirror, dude).  Dirk and Davis are awesome.  In my humble opinion, there is no fantasy commodity worth more than Dirk Nowitzki in any of the 4 previous years I've participated and I don't think it'll change this year.  A 90% FT shooting, 40% 3 PT shooting big man who gets 25 and 9 is ridiculous.  Baron Davis goes as his health goes--healthy and their's only one or two PGs better, unhealthy and he's a wrecking ball around your ankle.

The Good
Jermaine O'Neal needs to get healthy finally but if he does, he's an awesome fantasy big man.  Anthony Parker (103) and Raja Bell (114) were late picks that'll bolster Dirk's categories.  Gooden (138) was a nice pick late.  
The Bad
J-Rich (42), TP (55), Ricky Davis (66), and Al Harrington (79) are all good fantasy players but all have efficiency, rotation (except Tony P.), and all aren't known for helping across all categories.  
The Ugly
SMOOOSH at pick (127) when Jason Williams (the guy he backs up) didn't even get drafted makes you go hmmmm.  Now we all know Miguel wouldn't make a semi-homer pick, don't we?  
Prediction  
Any team with Dirk on it has a chance to to something special.  I think this team will do well in the percentage/scoring categories but might find accumulation categories (Blks, Stls, Asts, Rebs) a little hard to come by.  The health Baron Davis and J.O. will decide the fate of this team.

Wolverine's Gunners

Chauncey Billups and Joe Johnson were the keepers and those two guys go a long ways to solving you're backcourt problem.  You worry a little about Chauncey regressing as he gets older but I would think he should be fine for this year.  He took Al Jefferson with the first pick to shore up the front court--and I think Jefferson could be monstrous in Minny.  

The Good
Brad Miller (80) I like because even if he reverts to mediocre Brad of last year--he'll still have been worth the 80th pick.  I like Grant Hill (104), it might have been a tad early but you have to love the prospects in Phoenix and you knew you had to reach a little to get him on the roster.  Elton Brand (128) is very saavy and Turkoglu (137) is an amazing pick that late.    
The Bad
I love, LOVE Brandon Roy as much as the next guy but (41) is too early for a sophomore with persistent heel issues.  (PG,SG) eligibility is nice but you've kept two PG eligible players and Kevin Martin, Caron Butler, and Manu Ginobili were still there.  Maxiell (113) is a nice sleeper but he sure is buried in Detroit, I'd have gone a safer route with guys like Krstic (115), Millsap (119), and Battier (120).    
The Ugly
Shaquille, lovably referred to as Fatquille but WOW, at (89).  There are two kinds of people in this world, some who think Shaq still has great days ahead of him and a 75 game season in the offing and those that think he won't be much more than Eddy Curry for about 45 games.  I'm closer to the latter camp but I've been wrong before.
Prediction
The Gunners are a well-balanced and all it would take is a banner year from his mid-round picks like Granger, David West, and Brad Miller to make this team a very strong team.  You're probably looking at a playoff team.  

Archangel United

I kept Steve Nash and Gilbert Arenas. Two valuable players that unfortunately have PG only status.  So what I made up for in production, I sacrificed heavily in flexibility.  So I set out to draft a flexible, albeit not world-beater team.

The Good
LaMarcus Aldridge (57) had me jumping up and down like a school girl at a "My Little Pony" Ice Capades.  He was THEE, absolute LAST Center I thought may crack into the 2nd Tier of Centers.  BTW, sorry Derek.  Murphy (88) I look at, like Wolverine's pick of Brad Miller, he ain't going to be much less valuable than where he was taken unless J.O. is healthy and Diogu improves by leaps.  Charlie Villanueva (129) will be good value and BTW, sorry Derek about that one, too.      
The Bad
Redd (33) and Jamison (40) weren't the most valuable players available, and all they bring are the same categories by keepers bring anyway.  I don't have Top talent across all dimensions and these picks ensured that.  Gay (81) and West (105) were both picked before they should have and both are going to have to forge ample playing time for me to break even.      
The Ugly
With my 64th pick and guys like Ron Artest, Ricky Davis, Zach Randolph, Ben Wallace, Mike Bibby, Peja Stojakovic, and Richard Jefferson on the board.  I draft an Italian girlie man named Andrea.  Yes he's got position flexibility and C status and yes that was my stated draft goal but Andrea is going to have to bust out in a BIG way for me to reap any value whatsoever out of this pick.    
Prediction  
This draft comprised a lot of gambles on a lot of unproven players in the mid-round: Aldridge, Bargnani, Gay, and Scola.  All of those players will probably need to be fairly productive if this team is to make the playoffs, and I consider Bargnani the absolute make-or-break pick for me.  If nothing else, I at least liked pissing Derek off. ;)

Derek's Team

Derek kept Yao Ming, a fantasy force, and Andre Iguodala (a multi-category stud).  In keeping the new A.I., Derek let Jason Kidd and Al Jefferson go.  Some might consider that decision a mistake, I happen to think it was the right move.

The Good
Vince Carter (34) and Allen Iverson (39) were picked up at discounts.  Korver (130) and Dunleavy (135) were just plain stolen!  
The Bad
Derek robbed that cradle every chance he got and you have to wonder if some early gambles might have been better spent on known quantities.  Marvin Williams (82), Al Thornton (87), and Al Horford (111) were all drafted at premiums and will need to produce to justify the early selections.
The Ugly
Marco Belinelli (106) was probably the most egregious of the rookie, gamble picks and with no less than about 5 guys in Golden State who qualify at SG, you have to wonder how much Marco will have to fight through to justify his selection above Raja Bell (114), Cuttino Mobley (125), and Jamal Crawford (126), ALL opening day Starters.  
Prediction
Derek has a knack for finding hidden talent and I wounldn't be surprised at all if many of his selections pan out making them ripe for selling high.  As usual, he drafted a well-balance team at all positions and with relative health from Yao Ming, continued development from Tyson Chandler, and some gambles going his way, this team should be considered a championship contendor.

Jerry Lewis

Jerry Lewis kept LeBron James and Josh Howard, very strong statistically, although both keepers are at the 2 deepest positions.  I think if LeBron improves his FT percentage and gets may a half TO less, you may be looking at the best fantasy player on the planet--that isn't much improvement to hope for out of the 22 year old.  

The Good
I liked Camby (35) and Pierce (38) and very much considered picking up Camby in my 3rd round turn (decided to go with a guy l like and my favorite color).  Pierce is absolutely a steal at 38 if he manages to stay healthier than he did for me last year--that sour taste probably kept me from him, the most valuable player on the board on my turn.  Diaw (83) is a nice pickup.  Walton (134) was taken at a discount.
The Bad
Their is a very nice mix of young Centers behind Camby, Biedrins (62), Dalembert (86), and Milicic (110).  All of them come with big questions, in the meantime two of them are probably still developing and the other one starts the season injured.  Though if you're going to reach for a position, Center is where you want to do it.  I probably would have mixed in a more known quantity with the youngsters, like Brad Miller or Zydrunas Ilgauskas.      
The Ugly
The starting PG for this team is Jason Terry (59)--a wonderful fantasy player but not so good for the assist category.  He is backed up by Chucky Atkins (131) and Tony Allen (158), not exactly reassuring.  You need to have good points to win the league and rectifying this situation is probably Jerry's top priority.
Prediction
The team is built very solid with players that can contribute in many different categories.  Even with PG shortcomings, this team will probably make the playoffs.  A timely 'sell high' on one of his bigs for a productive PG and this team has a chance to go far.  

Genghis's Polarbears

Genghis kept Tim Duncan and Pau Gasol.  Two legitimate Top 10 fantasy players that both happen to qualify at C (and PF) is huge!  The massive amount of production at the league's scarcest position goes a long way into making it easy to fill out a devastating lineup and Genghis obliged.

The Good
Tracy McGrady (36) fell due to injury concerns but the guy is 2 years removed from threatening to lead the league in scoring every year (in addition to contributing positively to every stat but TO and FG%).  Kirilenko (60) at this spot is low risk, cumulo-nimbus sky high reward, you knew he'd fall and Genghis took advantage.  Mo Williams (84) could be the most impressive pick when all is said and done for this team.  Ronnie Brewer (109) is also very intriguing now that he's wrested control of the SG spot on a good team.
The Bad
The team overpaid for guys they liked Kirk Hinrich (37), Randy Foye (85), Jarret Jack (108), and guys he might be able to trade for a profit Andrew Bogut (61)  
The Ugly
Bogut, a 12 and 8 player last year, now has to contend with the upstart Yi Jianlian, a healthy Charlie Villaneuva, and a healthy Bobby Simmons in the frontcourt.  How much improvement in the numbers is really expected to warrant the selection before Ben Wallace, Al Harrington, Brad Miller, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and maybe even Shaquille O'Neal.  Unless he turns a tidy profit in a trade involving Bogut with those of us who overvalue Bogut (and WE're out here), I don't see this pick returning value.
Prediction
With two ho-hum selections in the late rounds, Garbajosa (133) and Varejao (156), Joe has his rotator spots ready to fill in positions to maximize games and with a nucleus of Hinrich, T-Mac, AK-47, Duncan, Gasol, and Mo Williams the team is perfectly suited to his style.  I consider this team perhaps the strongest championship contendor drafted.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 09:14:25 AM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 07:43:48 AM »
Well, my "robbin the craddle" has had very mixed results (which I expected).

As was pointed out, I went:
7 - Marvin Williams
8 - Al Thornton
9 - Marco Belinelli
10 - Al Horford

Marvin Williams has played fine.  17.8 ppg, 6 rpg, 2.3 apg, and 4.5 ftm, and shooting excellent percentages.  I can see him maintaining his scoring averages too.

Al Horford has been a fantastic pick in the 10th round.  I kinda got a bit disheveled when Lamarcus Aldridge was picked one spot ahead of me in the 5th round, so I needed a PF/C bad.  Getting a guy who's getting 10.8 rebounds, 1.5 steals, and 1.3 blocks in the 10th round was great.  And I expect him to improve offensively as the year goes on.

The other two picks....not so much.  After tearing it up in the preseason Al Thornton's not playing, and when he is, not playing well.  He's been cut.  Marco Belinelli as well hasn't cracked the rotation as well as I thought he would.

In the end, getting right on 2 out of 4 was about what I expected.  These weren't exactly early picks (Marvin was 82, Thornton 87, Belinelli 106, Horford 111).  I don't have too much of a problem taking gambles on them at this point, and getting production from a center at 111 is worth the risk alone.  Looking back on it though, I'd really like to have Ronnie Brewer and Richard Hamilton instead.  In fact, I kinda forgot about Brewer.  I was real high on him at the draft, and probably would have taken him over Marco had I remembered.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 07:46:02 AM by Derek Bodner »

Offline atom2030

• AOL Instant Messenger - atom2030
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomp22000
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 08:42:28 AM »
Great analysis guys, really enjoyed how much dedication people put in here ... what adifference from the fantasy leagues i was used ... where maybe 5 GMs were remaining active after the first 3rd of the season.

Anyway, here's my 2 cents:

Vienna's draft list
1. (1) Amare Stoudemire C
He did show glimpses already why he'll return to his old self

2. (24) Luol Deng SG,SF
First mistake. Boozer would have been hands down the better keeper, but this was a homer pick ... and probably the only Bull worth anything anyway.

3. (25) Dwight Howard C
everything i hoped for. could play a bigger role in the Magic offense, but oh well, should i honestly complain.

4. (48) Raymond Felton PG,SG
Glad I got him, my only decent PG to provide consistent numbers

5. (49) Monta Ellis PG,SG
A stretch that high, and not nearly producing the numbers from last season. Not enough PT so far to be productive. True Azubuike came out of nowhere, but SJax returning won't make his life any easier.

6. (72) Kenyon Martin PF
Don't even let me think about the fact, Tayshaun, Harrington, Gay, Diaw were still on the board then. I must confess I wasn't prepared to take part at a life draft - my first ever - and very surprised it happened that early (should have been 3am my time if i remember correctly)

7. (73) Peja Stojakovic SG,SF
He does what he can do. Ups and downs. Maybe Rip, Marv or Gay were safer choices, but you learn ...

8. (96) Jamaal Tinsley PG
Needed a 2nd PG badly and he was the top choice left ... didnt expect such seasons from Jameer and Fish. Still hope he'll come through ...

9. (97) Yi Jianlian PF
Huge mistake picking my BEST PF in round 9, a rookie from China. Heard all the alarm bells just going off? I think I was assuming Dwight would qualify for PF as well, as would Deng, who played there sparringly. Now I'm fucked witk KMArt, Yi and that bow-tie guy.

10. (120) Shane Battier SF
I got great approval for this pick from you ... and can't understand, why? Never really understood the value of great defenders in fantasy leagues. Their value doesn't show and it shows ...

11. (121) Larry Hughes PG,SG
Was hoping for a bounce-back year, but apparently all he bounced was his back again and now he's gone. Sayonara ... and glad i've finally cut ties to Cavs ...

12. (144) Bobby Simmons SG,SF
Nice sleeper pick ... and if he every finds a spot in the rotation he might even become useful. At least he brought me Udonis who immediately steps in as primary PF. What a shame ...

13. (145) Joakim Noah PF,C
Adored his father as a tennis player in my younger years, and he's a Bull too. Will he ever see playing time? Not likely, but he'll be my 14th roster man to provide the occasional spark ... and provide all those good statements to the media.

14. (168) Jason Smith SF,PF
He will come around, i'm sure, but this league isn't deep enough for him yet. Has been cut for Azubuike and I didn'T regret it one second. Educated guess: he'll end the year on some active roster.

Overall draft grade: D+

Nice #1 pick, a few keepers (Ray, Deng) and lot's of hope and mediocrity. No balanced roster at all, and thus i see this as learning year.
 8)
===============================
Felix Skydivers '13
In honor of Felix Baumgartners adventures
... and not just because he's Austrian too

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx