Author Topic: SI.com rumors & truths --- Any of these sound appealing?Or just down right silly  (Read 6943 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Amid speculation about a possible buyout of Chris Webber's contract, the veteran forward was absent from practice yesterday. The 76ers said he had the flu.
  -- Philadelphia Inquirer

It's difficult to believe Larry Brown won't replace Mo Cheeks as the 76ers coach soon.
  -- Chicago Tribune

The Spurs have spoken to the Clippers about Corey Maggette, and to illustrate how far Maggette has slipped in everyone's mind, San Antonio is reluctant to part with 35-year-old Brent Barry in the deal, because Brent's hitting nearly 50 percent of his 3's this year.
  -- Newark Star-Ledger

The Spurs, losers of three of their past four games, are looking to add an athletic swingman and Morris Peterson could be the guy.
  -- Toronto Sun

Despite speculation that the Jazz will be a player for Corey Maggette, Utah is too close to the luxury-tax threshold to do something dramatic and isn't looking to rent a player.
  -- Newsday

The Clippers weren't interested in James Posey when the Heat inquired again about Corey Maggette.
  -- Miami Herald

Despite what the Trail Blazers might say, they'd love to move Zach Randolph. Some believe Bulls coach Scott Skiles could get through to him. They're both from Indiana and went to Michigan State. Skiles has tried to help Randolph over the years through Spartans coach Tom Izzo.
  -- Chicago Tribune

Though they are running hot now, the Cavs still might look at getting another guard before next month's trading deadline. Two names that have emerged as potential targets, the Nuggets' Earl Boykins and the Mavericks' Anthony Johnson.
  -- Akron Beacon Journal

The Nets have actively been talking around the league trying to ascertain the trade value and determine the return for their players -- all their players. Several opposing executives insist the Nets have been as active, if not more, in their calls than any team in the league. But sources on both sides insist there is nothing imminent.
  -- New York Post

The back pain that essentially shut down Jason Kidd's motor Saturday night at Cleveland is a muscular problem, Lawrence Frank said yesterday, and the Nets hope that with further treatment the point guard will be ready to play tomorrow night against Toronto.
  -- Newark Star-Ledger
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
I have a little bit of a source with the 76ers.  CWebb's gone.  It's only a matter of time until it's official.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
No tears from me, he's really been terrible every time he's stepped on the court.  Is he going to retire, Dabods?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
The two regarding the Spurs are somewhat true...the Spurs are looking for a more athletic swingman.  They have inquired about Maggette and Mo Peterson.  The talks with the Clips included Barry & Udrih.  The Spurs were hestiatant on Barry becuase he started the season as the Spurs most consistent outside threat.  However over the past 10-12 games Finley has found his stroke and Barry's minutes are dropping.  Barry was almost gone last year.  The hangup now seems to be Maggette's ego...he doesn't want to be a role player off the bench. 

Any further reporting is speculation by reporters.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
I have a little bit of a source with the 76ers.  CWebb's gone.  It's only a matter of time until it's official.

Really?  Gone in what way?  Like they are going to buy him out and he won't play anymore?  Or they are going to dump him?  How does that work...if a team buys out his contract can he go to another team for a vet minimum?

Lurker...yup it is a major hangup.  He really, truly believes he is a top player at his position and that he should be a starter on a top team.  Sure he would be a def starter on a crappy team but the question comes to mind when you've been a clipper for so long....don't you want to win?  ;D  He would be nice firepower off the bench for the Spurs but he doesn't want that. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
The double standard of Barry has to hit at .800 fga while Finley can hit at 30% into perpetuity because he is insert <going to break out> at insert <some future date> is perhaps finally coming to a conclusion.

Johny Ludden writes that one or the other will get minutes, no more Poppycock 20-20.  It did't work out.  Finley and Barry could never get hot at the same time.  Neither plays lockdown D, and the Meism of the rest of Fins game is gagging, but Pop seems to forever hang his hat on Finley so we shall see.

One of them appears to be staying (playing more) one going soon.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Both sides want a buyout.  The only question is whether or not they can agree on what's appropriate.

And he definitely does still want to play.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
The double standard of Barry has to hit at .800 fga while Finley can hit at 30% into perpetuity because he is insert <going to break out> at insert <some future date> is perhaps finally coming to a conclusion.

Johny Ludden writes that one or the other will get minutes, no more Poppycock 20-20.  It did't work out.  Finley and Barry could never get hot at the same time.  Neither plays lockdown D, and the Meism of the rest of Fins game is gagging, but Pop seems to forever hang his hat on Finley so we shall see.

Sometimes I wonder if you ever watch or truly follow the Spurs.  Finley's defense is about 500% better than Barry's...main reason that Barry was expendable last year.  And why, now that Finley is shooting better than Barry, Barry is on the block again.

BTW last 10 games:
Finley  43.7% FG, 41.9% 3 Pt, 2.2 assts, 2.8 rebs
Barry   27.3% FG, 30.0% 3 pt, 2.1 assts, 1.9 rebs

If Barry was truly shooting 80% then Pop would find time for him.  However after a couple of extremely hot weeks Barry has come back top earth.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email

Sometimes I wonder if you ever watch or truly follow the Spurs.  Finley's defense is about 500% better than Barry's...main reason that Barry was expendable last year.  And why, now that Finley is shooting better than Barry, Barry is on the block again.

BTW last 10 games:

If Barry was truly shooting 80% then Pop would find time for him.  However after a couple of extremely hot weeks Barry has come back top earth.

Magette falls into the same category as Finley does except he is much younger.  Only difference is Magette only plays defense when he wants to pump his ego (ie when Kobe/Wade come to play).  That right there is very annoying and very apparent to anyone who pays any attention to him.  If it is not someone who can boost his ego by having a good game against, he tends not to try all that much.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Magette falls into the same category as Finley does except he is much younger.  Only difference is Magette only plays defense when he wants to pump his ego (ie when Kobe/Wade come to play).  That right there is very annoying and very apparent to anyone who pays any attention to him.  If it is not someone who can boost his ego by having a good game against, he tends not to try all that much.

I know.  And that is why I think it would be a bad deal for the Spurs.  They would definately get the better all round player but at what price?  IMO Maggette would be in Pop's doghouse within a month of the trade.  And that would lead to locker room problems.  Floor time on the Spurs goes to those who think defense first and everything else after.  Doesn't seem to fit Maggette's style.  IMHO MoPete would be a better acquisition.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email

BTW last 10 games:

Talk about cherry picking stats.
During those "couple hot weeks for Barry" vs Findawgs "last 10 games".
Get real!

November:
Barry 41-78 .526fg 30-57 .526 treys 22mpg
Finley 38-118 .322fg 10-40 .250 treys in 20 mpg

drrrr says Pop and you???  Lets continue to give Finley equal, no actually bump him up a few more minutes.

December:

Barry  37-69 .536fg 21-44 .477treys 20 mpg
Finley 48-115fg .417 17-42 .405treys 22 mpg

Barry blew him away in November yet Finley got equal minutes!  Ditto in December, whereupon PopAdjustment did the same thing.  Brilliant.
When GNob went out for 5-6 games, 29% Findawg got the starts while .724 fga Barry still came off the bench and got less minutes.
Your assessment of Findawgs D has me knowing you do not watch Spurs games or we have 180 degree different definitions of D.
Couldn't box out my grandmother, rebounds only those which come his way, never muscles up.
Barry not a good rebounder either but certainly at the least the equal of Finley.  How did the Spurs *hide* Barry during the 2005 Championship run?  Real Spurs watchers and outsiders alike seeing some of the best team D ever played on the NBA hardwood.
Finley way below average passer and rarely drives to the hoop, something Dallas people complained about for years.
Barry also fails to drive it to the hoop.  But he doesnt hork up crap everytime he touches the ball and is a vastly superior passer and team ball player.

Finley is liking the return to the leather ball, maybe that helps explain his January only rise of over 40%.  More likely his best years are simply behind him.  Maybe Barry was loving the composite ball, altho he put up similiar numbers the second half of 2006 with leather.  Probably more likely Pop has discouraged Barry enough to slap him out of his 4 months, oh i mean "couple hot weeks" of shooting.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 01:56:46 AM by Reality »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
When GNob went out for 5-6 games, 29% Findawg got the starts while .724 fga Barry still came off the bench and got less minutes.

If you really followed the Spurs then you would know that the reason Finley started was so that Barry COULD RETAIN HIS ROLE OFF THE BENCH!!!!!!!!!!  Pop does this regularly.  It just happened recently with Horry getting the start after Elson was injured.  By your outstanding NBA logic Fabs should have started.  But the eternally wiser Pop likes to try to maintain roles among his bench.

Your assessment of Findawgs D has me knowing you do not watch Spurs games or we have 180 degree different definitions of D.
Couldn't box out my grandmother, rebounds only those which come his way, never muscles up.
Barry not a good rebounder either but certainly at the least the equal of Finley.  How did the Spurs *hide* Barry during the 2005 Championship run?  Real Spurs watchers and outsiders alike seeing some of the best team D ever played on the NBA hardwood.

Barry wasn't a major defensive factor in the 2005 title run.  If you think so then you are definately in the minority.  Maybe it just the SoCal Spurs fans that honestly belive that all that matters is shooting percentages and rebounding.  Go back and watch all those games you claim to have tivoed.  Finley plays much better man-to-man as well as team defense than Barry.  Finley also atrtacks the rim and flushes the ball more than a former slam dunk champion.  Basically everyone but you who follows the Spurs...including common fans, sports commentators, asst coaches, national columnists, etc...all say that Finley is the better player.  But, of course, none of them have the sun-addled thought process that gives you a much better vision of the game.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Reality,

Has offense ever won the Spurs a title in the last 7 years?

Just to let you know, The Spurs are consistant because defense comes first.  There is a reason why Barry, Fabs, and whatever the next offensive player the Spurs grab that you hype up come second to players who are better defenders.  I don't even know why that needs to be pointed out.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Question -

Would the Spurs still be considered a top western conference team if both Finley and Barry were playing elsewhere?

My guess would be yes.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Question -

Would the Spurs still be considered a top western conference team if both Finley and Barry were playing elsewhere?

My guess would be yes.

Of course not!  Then we would be left with just Fabs to carry the load.  If not for superstars like Finley & Barry to carry them do you really think Duncan, Parker & Ginobili would win? 
-Moody Blues