Poll

Which one will be the best long term

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: LeBron, Kobe, Garnett, McGrady  (Read 4075 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
LeBron, Kobe, Garnett, McGrady
« on: March 17, 2004, 11:41:49 AM »
Beyond their rookie year, which one will be the best over their entire career?
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 11:53:47 AM »
Garnett is at only age 27 already putting up a career that will be hard to beat.
When kobe becomes a Spur tho his game should really blossom.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 12:21:16 PM »
You mean when ALAN IVERSON becomes a Spur...
Paul

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 12:33:16 PM »
wow so they'll get both of them.
AI could be a cool point guard.
We'll help him lose his Me 'tude, along with Kobme ballin for the team.
Ive seen him point for portions of games and do it most excellently, ie finals vs Flamers.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 12:45:23 PM »
KG, by far.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 12:50:55 PM »
To close to call, I would say KG, but only by a lil bit over Kobe.
Paul

jn

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 01:03:16 PM »
Do I even need to tell you my opinion?  :)  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 01:57:45 PM »
I'll go with Kobe at this point.  KG is a notch below Kobe's mental game and LeBron and T-Mac are not in the same league in that regard.

KG should be hands down the best but his lack of heart and mental toughness kills him.  It's one thing to yell at Tim Duncan face, it's quite another to snatch a rebound away from him and score in his face for a game/series winner.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 02:42:13 PM »
I say Garnett. All are very talented players (although I still think it's a little early in his career to be including Lebron James on this list). However, Garnett is not only immensely talented, but also seems to be the most well-grounded (not all caught up in his own myth). He has gotten better with every season and shows no sign of peaking.  

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 02:50:52 PM »
I voted for LeBron, mainly because of what he's been able to do in only his first year. I expect huge things from him next year.

As far as KG not being mentally tough and lacking heart . . . BWAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAHHAHAHAA!

What a dumb thing to say.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Guest_Randy

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 02:52:06 PM »
Agree, KG, however, I think KG gets the nod at this point just due to size -- size is always a factor in the NBA and I think it throws KG over the top.  I would like to see KG grow in the "I want the ball at the end" -- I do think that he will take the shot but I don't really believe that he wants it more than anyone else (Wally ALWAYS wants the shot -- so will Sam).  I think that's what sets Kobe over KG -- but KG's size factors that out, IMO, to give KG the edge.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 02:57:12 PM »
Agree, KG, however, I think KG gets the nod at this point just due to size -- size is always a factor in the NBA and I think it throws KG over the top.  I would like to see KG grow in the "I want the ball at the end" -- I do think that he will take the shot but I don't really believe that he wants it more than anyone else (Wally ALWAYS wants the shot -- so will Sam).  I think that's what sets Kobe over KG -- but KG's size factors that out, IMO, to give KG the edge.
Good point Randy. Although I don't particularly like Kobe or his game, the guy has won three titles, and no one else on the list has one. If LeBron wins three, then I'll give him the nod.

As far as KG goes, I don't question his heart or toughness at all. He has consistenly played great in the playoffs. Just because he wasn't the guy shooting the ball at the end of every game, doesn't tell me he lacks heart (I'm responding to WoW's post here). KG puts up great numbers game in and game out, and even Shaq couldn't win without a supporting cast. Anybody remember what the Rockets did to Shaq in his first Finals experience?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Guest_Randy

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 03:03:29 PM »
As far as KG goes, I don't question his heart or toughness at all. He has consistenly played great in the playoffs. Just because he wasn't the guy shooting the ball at the end of every game, doesn't tell me he lacks heart (I'm responding to WoW's post here). KG puts up great numbers game in and game out, and even Shaq couldn't win without a supporting cast. Anybody remember what the Rockets did to Shaq in his first Finals experience?

Ted, I wouldn't question KG's heart -- I don't think that's the right word for it.  KG has as much heart as Kobe and AI, IMO.  However, I will question that he has that part of him that Kobe has -- down deep inside -- to WILL his team to victory.  I think KG is more of a team player than the individual.  The truly great players, IMO, HAVE to have that -- MJ did, Magic did, Kareem did, Jerry West did, Bird did -- on and on and on.  KG HAS to develop that or I don't think he goes down as one of the greatest to ever play the game.  He will be a HOF'er but if he doesn't develop that edge, he doesn't belong in the class with those players that I mentioned (and there are many more).  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2004, 03:18:50 PM »
Thanks Randy, didn't have time to dumb it down for Ted.

IMO Shaq is in the same class as KG in that regard.  Kobe could be 0-20 and he'll still want the ball when the game is on the line.  The only other guys in the league who have that kind of heart currently are Kobe, Iverson, Cassell, R. Miller and Bibby.  Win or lose they're talking that flocking shot!  I recognize and respect that attribute.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2004, 06:30:27 PM »
WOW, I guess you should also put Horry on that list.  I've seen him take that game winner when he's had horrible shooting games.  

I think KG gets a bad rap for not having willed his team to a playoff series victory.  No one questions his abilities or his heart and now I'll address his will to win.  I think you need a close-knit, hungry team (with heart) to be truly successful in the playoffs.  KG can have it in himself but its something he can't impart to others.  As far as a will to win or playoff toughness are involved, previous Timberwolf players Terrell Brandon, Wally Szszerbiack, Joe Smith can't compare with a Ron Harper, Dennis Rodman, Mario Elie, and even Vernon Maxwell of previous championship teams.  I think the addition of players like Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell, (players KG doesn't have to worry about where their heart is) you'll finally see a playoff series victory under Flip's belt.        
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."