Author Topic: Shaqs Laker salary  (Read 4611 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Shaqs Laker salary
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 04:30:48 PM »
So whats better, entering 2006 on with Grants 15 mil salary, Lamar 12 and Kwame 8.  Or entering with 35 mill in salary cleared? [/size]

Yes, in a vacuum, that would have been better.  I agree.

Unfortunately, Shaq demanded a trade and insulted the owner at the same time.  We're not the friggin’ Toronto Raptors or Atlanta Hawks.  The Laker organization is bigger than any one player ... even one as obese as Shaq.  We will not be held hostage by a fat, lazy, crybaby, with an ego that dwarfs Phil’s and Kobe's combined.  We will move on.  We will not win without him, just as we were not winning with him.  BTW, making the 2nd round doesn't mean jack to us, we want to win it all and it's going to take many years to do it again, but we will.  We always do  B)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Shaqs Laker salary
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 06:00:04 PM »
I may be in the minority on this board, but I still think it was the right move.
Among the Laker fans on this board, you are NOT in the minority on this subject MSC, getting rid of Shaq, his ego, and his fat, out of shape, lazy, unmotivated, deteriorating self was in my opinion the best move the Lakers could make. I just wish it had been Jerry West who pulled the trigger on the trade because we would have made out like bandits in one of his legendary deals. Instead we have had to endure Kupchak's version of a "fair trade". Funny but Miami was just about convinced the title was in the bag once "The Big by Large by Fat" arrived in town, but as we Laker fans know, his presense guarentee's nothing but windfall profits at the local Burger King.

Los Angeles would have been in worse shape if they had re-signed him, he would have been just as fat and out of shape if they had, maybe even worse because he would have effectively neutered the Lakers, there would have been no Kobe AND no Phil Jackson and we would still be in the celler with no prospects for the forseeable future, and he would have had ZERO motivation. I think I can live with the current state of the Lakers, there is room to move personel-wise, we are improving as a team and our defense is pretty good. Plus, 1 & 1/2 seasons of no melodrama, how refreshing!

Dan

Guest_Randy

Shaqs Laker salary
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006, 06:05:49 PM »
msc,

forget Reality -- he likes to try and dream up issues for the Lakers.  True, the Lakers are the biggest deal in the league (even when they don't have the best record) so I guess that's why if you don't like 'em -- it leads to hatin' 'em.

As for returning, I definately hope the Lakers will return to glory -- they have done so over and over again.  However, I do have to say that I don't have a lot of confidence in Kupchak.  Of course, I think that he is just a puppet and the Buss' and others pull his strings.  The Buss' have always had a hand in personell even when Jerry West was in tinseltown.  I will always hope -- it's the part of being a fan -- it's what makes you a loyal longterm fan (not that reality would EVER understand that concept!).

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Shaqs Laker salary
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2006, 06:11:00 PM »
Jesus Christo! Isn't this topic older than dirt!?

...and yet it goes on for upteen responses to it.

It has been two years since the BiG BaBoo moved heaven and earth eastward, leaving Kobe to pick up the slackers Kuppy traded for to get rid of him. Good, bad, or indifferent, this is history, the salaries soaking up valuable sweat at Staples, and the Laker future looking bright, if you, like, look directly into the SoCal sun while saying it.

But I have to admit, the Lakers are much more fun to watch these days. Like in more unpredictable, even knowing that Bryant is going to take most of the shots.

One thing you can learn from these things though. You can't take a Kwame Brown (or a Jerome James, for that matter), and actually "turn" them into a mini-version of Shaq. Shaq, for all his lack of motivation issues, still managed to wreck havoc on other teams, where these other so-called 'BIG MEN' only seem to wreck their diets like Shaq does.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Shaqs Laker salary
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 12:30:01 AM »
Yes, in a vacuum, that would have been better.  I agree.

Unfortunately, Shaq demanded a trade and insulted the owner at the same time.  We're not the friggin’ Toronto Raptors or Atlanta Hawks.  The Laker organization is bigger than any one player ... even one as obese as Shaq.  We will not be held hostage by a fat, lazy, crybaby, with an ego that dwarfs Phil’s and Kobe's combined.  We will move on.  We will not win without him, just as we were not winning with him.  BTW, making the 2nd round doesn't mean jack to us, we want to win it all and it's going to take many years to do it again, but we will.  We always do  B) [/quote]
 But did they have to make t-h-a-t trade at that early stage?  I would say they did cave into his ego.  If nothing else was available, what would have come up had they held onto him a bit longer, even into the 2005 season?  Into this season?  Send the message to Fatty that we will trade you on our terms, not yours, to a team and for players that benefits us, not just releases you.  msc i think in a way they gave Shaq exactly what he wanted.  And/Or they gave Kobme what he wanted.  

Shaq for Elton Brand and a few other Clips?  Monty Burns DonSterling certainly would have entertained that.

Perhaps that was their plan and Yao and A Stoudamire surprised them with LaLa turn downs.

I will say 2006 FA and draft board does appear to be a slim one at this point.  2003 was by far the fattest with LeBron, Wade, Bosh, to a lessor extent marshMellow Anthony.

At any rate the Lakers have made their bed.  Hope Kobes mileage holds out and surround him in the next years with someone.  I still say if they wanted to go that route, another trade more favorable to the Lakers would have surely came up.  In the rare event it did not, why not just wait till the end of this year and jettison Shaq and have 35 million to shopbuild?   I don't see a title coming anytime with the current cast.

But i don't unerestimate what could transpire.  History...

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Shaqs Laker salary
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 02:04:13 PM »
Shaq for Elton Brand and a few other Clips?  Monty Burns DonSterling certainly would have entertained that.
I don't think you can trade Shaq within your own division, especially to your cross town "rival" (not sure I can use the term rival here, but you know what I mean).  

On paper, I would have loved that trade, especially in light of how both of the respective players are playing this year.  But the "Reality" is that you can never make that deal.  

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Shaqs Laker salary
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 02:28:14 PM »
msc,

forget Reality -- he likes to try and dream up issues for the Lakers.  True, the Lakers are the biggest deal in the league (even when they don't have the best record) so I guess that's why if you don't like 'em -- it leads to hatin' 'em.

I know ... he caught me on an off day ... or at least one where I was procrastinating at work.  

As for returning, I definately hope the Lakers will return to glory -- they have done so over and over again.  However, I do have to say that I don't have a lot of confidence in Kupchak.  Of course, I think that he is just a puppet and the Buss' and others pull his strings.  The Buss' have always had a hand in personnel even when Jerry West was in tinseltown.  I will always hope -- it's the part of being a fan -- it's what makes you a loyal longterm fan (not that reality would EVER understand that concept!).

Losing Jerry West was definitely a crushing blow to our beloved franchise.  It's no surprise that Memphis is extremely competitive in the West now (no pun intended).  I don't bash Kupchak as much as many others.  I’m not saying he's the greatest GM on the planet, but I think he's a scapegoat for 1) Jerry Buss's decisions and; 2) Kobe, Shaq, Rudy T, Phil.  I think a lot of people would rather trash Mitch than Kobe or Shaq or Phil and as a result crap slides down hill and he's at the bottom.  The guy who really scares me, is Jim Buss, Jerry’s son an the heir apparent to his Dad.  I’m sure he is a good guy, but what does he know about anything?  He’s never had to work a real job in his entire life.  Once Jerry Buss retires and/or passes on, I fear for the future with his son steering the ship.  

All that being said, I still believe in the LA Laker organization.  Jerry Buss will step up when the right opportunity presents itself.  And for those who say no one wants to come to LA because Kobe is here ... I can see that element and it does exist, but Los Angeles is one of the best markets in the world and the team does have a ton of tradition.  NBA ballers do want to play here for a multitude of reasons, whether it is tradition, women, media, weather, nightlife, etc.  There will always be a demand to play here with or without Kobe.  I mean, I was at the beach yesterday in Santa Monica, it was 80 degrees, sunny and clear on Feb 12th  B)

I agree with all of your points, Randy and about what it is to be a true fan.  I’m also more patient than many fans.  The Lakers are obviously several years away from Championship contention.  I'd love to see it happen with Kobe and with Phil, but unless Phil re-ups and stays at least two more years, I don't see it happening with him.  In the meantime, I'll still be watching every game and going to as many as I can ... win, lose or draw.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Shaqs Laker salary
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 03:09:35 PM »
Shaq for Elton Brand and a few other Clips?  Monty Burns DonSterling certainly would have entertained that.
I don't think you can trade Shaq within your own division, especially to your cross town "rival" (not sure I can use the term rival here, but you know what I mean).  

On paper, I would have loved that trade, especially in light of how both of the respective players are playing this year.  But the "Reality" is that you can never make that deal.
Why not?

Have you heard of Sterlings other trades?  Ya he won't ever go outside the box or do a trade that would help another team. :rolleyes:

Just trying to help you Laker followers see how a title could actually be earned.

Guest_Randy

Shaqs Laker salary
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2006, 05:10:59 PM »

Why not?

Have you heard of Sterlings other trades?  Ya he won't ever go outside the box or do a trade that would help another team. :rolleyes:

Just trying to help you Laker followers see how a title could actually be earned.
What would a bandwagonning fan know about earning a title?  It's not like you ever pay any dues by jumping on the bandwagon of the top team in the league!

As for "earning" a title -- there's only one team in the league who has earned more titles than the Lakers -- and it's not one that I think you've ever cheered for (hmm, how many bandwagons have you been on?).  In fact, if you want to talk about "earning" a title -- you'd have to leave your current team off that since the way that managed to "earn" TD is rather  :unsure: .

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Shaqs Laker salary
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 06:04:58 PM »

I know The Donald would have made the trade. I'm saying Jerry Buss would not, and should not, trade Shaq within his own conference, let alone his own division.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Shaqs Laker salary
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2006, 01:31:45 AM »
I know The Donald would have made the trade. I'm saying Jerry Buss would not, and should not, trade Shaq within his own conference, let alone his own division. [/quote]
 Yes it was better to have Brian Grants 15 mil salary, Lamor Odorscrots 12 and Kwame Browns 8 :crazy:  then to have join the Lakers:

Elton Brand, Bobby Simmons, Chris Wilcox, Tom Petty Kaman and probably a few more players. :up:

I'm going to temp bandwaggon over to the Lakers.

Guest_Randy

Shaqs Laker salary
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2006, 08:13:34 AM »
Quote from: msc,Feb 13 2006, 11:04 PM
I know The Donald would have made the trade. I'm saying Jerry Buss would not, and should not, trade Shaq within his own conference, let alone his own division.
Yes it was better to have Brian Grants 15 mil salary, Lamor Odorscrots 12 and Kwame Browns 8 :crazy:  then to have join the Lakers:

Elton Brand, Bobby Simmons, Chris Wilcox, Tom Petty Kaman and probably a few more players. :up:

I'm going to temp bandwaggon over to the Lakers. [/quote]
 When did Sterling make that offer?  Or are you just making things up again?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Shaqs Laker salary
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2006, 08:18:02 PM »
Last nights game must continue to solidify how grateful you are that Buss did not trade Shraq for Elton Brand. B)

I was wondering mid 3rd quarter if Phil was going to have the NBAs best player put some of his *lockdown* D on Elton.

Guest_Randy

Shaqs Laker salary
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2006, 09:20:29 PM »
Last nights game must continue to solidify how grateful you are that Buss did not trade Shraq for Elton Brand. B)

I was wondering mid 3rd quarter if Phil was going to have the NBAs best player put some of his *lockdown* D on Elton.
First, the Clips never offered Brand and Maggette for Shaq -- or anything else for Shaq.

Second, Shaq told the Lakers who they could trade him to -- and the list was pretty short.  Since he had the right to veto trades, the ball was pretty much in Shaq's corner.

Last, as for putting Kobe on Brand -- that's about as stupid a remark as you have ever made -- why doesn't Pop put TD on Kobe?  SG's don't often play PF's -- why don't you read a book on basketball -- if you even have to suggest something like this, it's obvious you need to spend some time reading due to something so basic.

As for the Clips -- they took it to the Lakers last night.  The only person who could do anything for the Lakers was Kobe.  Lamar Odom had two previous VERY good games so it's not surprising to see him disappear again.  The Clips double and triple-teamed Kobe resulting in 8 assists for Kobe (imagine how many assists he would have had if Lamar and co. could have actually shot the ball).  The Clips have a lot of weapons -- Brand, Mobley and Radmanovic all had great games.  I actually liked watching Livingston -- this guy isn't quite ready yet but he is going to be a great PG for the Clips someday -- the Clips had a much better flowing offense when he was in the game rather than Sam, I Am, Cassell.  

I still don't understand why PJ decides to start Kwame Brown every now and then -- I realize we are paying him lots of money but he is still bench fodder.  Granted, he had to play more minutes last night due to Brian Cook's foul trouble -- asking Cook to guard Brand is like asking TD to guard Kobe!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Shaqs Laker salary
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2006, 11:24:48 PM »
Randy,

6'6" Kobe trying to guard someone a whole 2 inches taller then he is not something i would recommend.  Your stupidity continues however in thinking he is the best player in the NBA.  We heard you and your cohorts babbling about how much better Kobe is then Dirk, now last night we got to again see how much better he is then Brand. :rofl:  Yeah the comparison to 7'0" Tim dunker is Laker Math.
See if you can fill in for Michael Thompson on Extra broadcasts.

Dork, I realize the Clips might not have offered Brand.  You really don't know, do you?  However, what exactly was the veto rights of Shaq?  That i would like to know.

Will be visiting the Laker House soon.....