Author Topic: Vince Carter: Pendejo supremo  (Read 2794 times)

jn

Vince Carter: Pendejo supremo
« on: January 24, 2006, 06:12:27 PM »
Will the rest of you please check this link and make sure I'm not having some sort hallucination?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5275220

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 06:17:00 PM »
it's funny because it's true? :rofl:  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 09:37:19 PM »
It's funny because it would be like Iverson giving someone a lecture about the importance of practice.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 12:12:29 PM »
Will the rest of you please check this link and make sure I'm not having some sort hallucination?

This is hilarious.  I had fun listening to sports talk radio yesterday and hearing the likes of Sam Cassell and Vince Carter roust Kobe and lecture on the merits of team play.  

Of course Riley had to get a dig in too just to protect the big, fragile ego of Fatty McFatFat.  You know this is killing Shaq.  His ego makes Kobe's look like nothing.  He was always the one who wanted to put up the big scores and be "the man".  Now his 61 against the Clips on his b-day several years back doesn't look so special.    

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 12:41:18 PM »

This is hilarious.  I had fun listening to sports talk radio yesterday and hearing the likes of Sam Cassell and Vince Carter roust Kobe and lecture on the merits of team play.  

Of course Riley had to get a dig in too just to protect the big, fragile ego of Fatty McFatFat.  You know this is killing Shaq.  His ego makes Kobe's look like nothing.  He was always the one who wanted to put up the big scores and be "the man".  Now his 61 against the Clips on his b-day several years back doesn't look so special.
They are all just hating on him.  If it had been them VC he would have gone for it also.  Give Kobe some credit though - he could have gone for more the night he got 62 - and he DID NOT - he pulled himself out of the game.  IMO these kind of games need to come out every once in a while, let the guy enjoy his night, he made history for crying out loud.  Why is everyone so afraid of breaking Wilt's record?  I say if you CAN break it, then break it.  people need to stop hating on Kobe, he has made some mistakes, but he IS picking up his game this season.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 12:49:32 PM »

They are all just hating on him.  If it had been them VC he would have gone for it also.  Give Kobe some credit though - he could have gone for more the night he got 62 - and he DID NOT - he pulled himself out of the game.  IMO these kind of games need to come out every once in a while, let the guy enjoy his night, he made history for crying out loud.  Why is everyone so afraid of breaking Wilt's record?  I say if you CAN break it, then break it.  people need to stop hating on Kobe, he has made some mistakes, but he IS picking up his game this season.
Give Kobe some credit though - he could have gone for more the night he got 62 - and he DID NOT - he pulled himself out of the game.

Hmm, doesn't quite fit into the picture that some would like to paint around here, huh?  Kobe just wants to make himself look great and doesn't care about anyone else.  Hmm.

Kobe HAS a lot of faults -- and he has a LOT of growing up to do.  I'd like to see him do a lot more of that but right now, for the most part, he is taking his shots within the offense.

As for breaking Wilt's record, I think it's pretty tough to do -- even Wilt's teammates were looking to feed him every chance they got that night.  Also, notice how many of his shots came as freethrows (and you remember how Wilt shot freethrows back then -- by jumping from the ft line and dunking the ball).  Also, there weren't such things as lane violations, over the back, 3 seconds, etc.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 12:50:04 PM »
Sorry, that was my post above.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 12:52:32 PM »
It's funny because it would be like Iverson giving someone a lecture about the importance of practice.
I mean both are true.

Who is Carter to be questioning Kobes shot attempts.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 12:59:35 PM »
I mean both are true.

Who is Carter to be questioning Kobes shot attempts.
Who is Carter to be questioning putting oan individual over the team game first concept?  I think that is the better question.   He is just as guilty and actually did something worse IMO...which is quit on your teammates completely.

Mike Jordan put that idea in kids heads long ago.  He in fact was the one who put that in Kobe's head.  I grew up wanting to take the last shot to win the game and drop 45 points at the park because of Mike Jordan.  Certainly kids were not going 'Man I want to get 20 assists like John Stockton and Magic Johnson YEAH!'
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 01:01:30 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 02:37:24 PM »
Mike Jordan put that idea in kids heads long ago. He in fact was the one who put that in Kobe's head. I grew up wanting to take the last shot to win the game and drop 45 points at the park because of Mike Jordan. Certainly kids were not going 'Man I want to get 20 assists like John Stockton and Magic Johnson YEAH!'

Not arguing this point at all...just pointing out that that's what's wrong with basketball at all levels.

What's worse, everyone assumes everyone else is trying to do the same thing, and as a result, they take the ball out of the hands of the people who *ARE* trying to do the Stockton/Magic kind of thing - thus robbing themselves of the aid of a teammate willing to help them achieve the goal they were after in the first place.

Trying to score a ton of points and hit the big shot by yourself is simply just bad basketball.

Unfortunately, some people win playing bad basketball.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 02:50:20 PM »
Mike Jordan put that idea in kids heads long ago. He in fact was the one who put that in Kobe's head. I grew up wanting to take the last shot to win the game and drop 45 points at the park because of Mike Jordan. Certainly kids were not going 'Man I want to get 20 assists like John Stockton and Magic Johnson YEAH!'

Not arguing this point at all...just pointing out that that's what's wrong with basketball at all levels.

What's worse, everyone assumes everyone else is trying to do the same thing, and as a result, they take the ball out of the hands of the people who *ARE* trying to do the Stockton/Magic kind of thing - thus robbing themselves of the aid of a teammate willing to help them achieve the goal they were after in the first place.

Trying to score a ton of points and hit the big shot by yourself is simply just bad basketball.

I agree 100% with you.  There is a problem at all levels but is Kobe's 81 game all the sudden issuing that in? No, its been there for years and years.  Kobe is actually a product of that mentality himself.  As is Vince Carter.  Which is why its funny he made this comment.  Sam Cassell is a different story, he is a point guard whos job is to get his teammates involved.  I can understand him saying something but Vince Carter?!

This comes back to Jordan having a perfect media image.  The media wouldn't have dared printed Harold Minor saying Jordan scoring 63 is bad for children.  Honestly if ANYONE should be getting heat for it (which no one should IMO) it should be Micheal Jordan.  Part of the reason the game is so popular is partly because of games where he would drop 50 and no one could guard him.

This is why we have coaches in the structured basketball leagues.  That is their job to get everyone on the same page and teach why team basketball makes the game easier and more fun.

Pickup basketball tho?  I mean come on.  Those guys are not really your teammates, they are guys you are playing basketball with.  Unless you and they are regulars there is not a real team in the sense of what we are talking about.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 03:06:02 PM by westkoast »

Guest_Randy

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 03:05:59 PM »

Well, I don't disagree with this assessment:

However, trying to win a basketball game MAY need you to do simply that.

I'm not EVEN talking about Kobe now -- I'm talking as a fan of my favorite player, Magic Johnson -- the CONSUMATE team player, IMO.  Magic would ALWAYS look for his teammates first -- however, if his teammates weren't knocking down shots, there came a point when Magic took over the game himself and SCORED!  The difference is looking for the BEST shot -- and sometimes that IS your shot.  

And as far as knocking down the big shot, you know who guys are you want taking that shot at the end of the game -- it's why the Spurs put the ball in TD's hands with 4 seconds on the clock and why they wanted him to take the shot even though he was 3 or 4 foot outside of his real range.

I think TRYING to score a ton of points and simply deciding to take the shot even if your teammate is standing alone under the basket -- THAT'S bad basketball but putting the ball in the hands of your best player when you are down by one and there is 15 seconds left?  You have more opportunities to create shots that way.

Sure, there are exceptions to the rule but they are the exceptions -- not the rule.  And by-the-way, Utah HAD a clutch shooter during the old days -- I was always happier to see Stockton (although not a lot happier) or Malone (a lot happier) shoot the ball than Jeff Hornicek!

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 03:10:20 PM »
If Tim Duncan scored 81 they'd be throwing him a parade and everyone would be kissing his butt.  

A lot of people hate Kobe and they always will, no matter what he does he can't win in their eyes.  

If he scores 81 and the team wins - he's a ballhog.  

If he scores 81 and the team loses - he's a ballhog.  

If the team loses and he scores 10 pts w/10 assists - he's nothing without Shaq.  

If his team doesn't make the playoffs - it's his fault

If his team does make the playoffs - He's a ballhog.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 03:12:20 PM »
If Tim Duncan scored 81 they'd be throwing him a parade and everyone would be kissing his butt.  

A lot of people hate Kobe and they always will, no matter what he does he can't win in their eyes.  

If the team loses and he scores 10 pts w/10 assists - he's nothing without Shaq.  

msc,

you have just managed to condense all of skander, joey v's, reality and jomal's rantings into one succinct post -- congrats on a job well done!  :cheers:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 03:20:31 PM »

Well some of those are justified MSC...

Of course Tim Duncan would have a party thrown for him because he has a great media image.  Its the same reason why MJ got a pass for this same thing  even though he is the real reason kids want to play 1 on 5 to score 45 and make the winning bucket.  The media is kissing Kobe's butt right now.  Its players like Vince Carter who are asked in the fashion of 'hay you use to be able to score alot on a consistant basis you can remember how it is, what do you think of Kobe's 81'  who are salty.

If the Lakers dont make the playoffs it is Kobe's fault seeing as he is the leader and best player on this squad.  If they dont get to the playoffs then people will say 'maybe he should have passed more because all that shooting didnt work' and IMO they would be justified saying that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 03:21:59 PM by westkoast »