Author Topic: The marketing of Kobe  (Read 4949 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
The marketing of Kobe
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2005, 05:53:57 PM »

No, I'm not kidding about understanding people's limitations as related to background.  This does not mean that AI is a good person by any means, I do think he's trying, but I really don't know the guy.

But right and wrong, proper behavioural conduct, these things are learned behavior.  Few people from the ghetto ever get the ghetto out of them.  This doens't give them a free pass.  If Iverson got convicted for brandishing that gun, I would have had no problem with it.  The story and the way that he got off does smell.

But Kobe is from a nice upper class neighborhood, pretty simillar to the one I grew up in (His is nicer and wealthier by far)  I am making an assumption here, but Kobe growing up there would have a much more simillar outlook on right and wrong and proper conduct to me than AI would.

I would never impose myself on another person sexually.  That is so obviously wrong that there's no point in even discussing it.  So too is pulling a gun out to scare people into doing what you want.  Frankly neither of these guys could be accused of exemplary conduct on all occaissions. 

But in comparison between Kobe and AI, I have more of a problem with Kobe because I think he knows better.  Whereas AI, growing up where he did and with the people he did, make his behaviour more understandible, but definitely not acceptable.
Kobe comes from a nicer neighborhood; Iverson is a 'hood kid.

Yet both end up spending some quality time with police because of this learned "behavioral conduct", as you call it? Did Kobe learn to impose himself sexually in his upper middle class home, just as Iverson learned not to knock first before kicking in the door of an apartment with a gun tucked into his pants?

I am not even down with how all of these malfeasance activities played out legally. The ultimate point is how they reflect on the individuals who get into these situations in the first place. In this, both Iverson and Kobe are equally guilty. Maybe not in the eyes of the law, but in imagery for their sport.

Locally, Mike Bibby has been involved in two police-related incidents since September, with members of his homeys from the hood causing the situations to escalate, and in one case, the so-called "victim" clearly instigating something for the press and the potential money because a celeb was involved. But while Bibby was not directly involved in either altercation, it is Bibby who has been getting the press write-ups over the issues.

As I said, once you get that cash, you can no longer be part of your former life, and that includes Kobe and his former life and Iverson and his. Hire a behavioral coach and solid legal people, because eventually you will wish you had. And if you hire the former, you certainly are more likely to save on the latter.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 05:55:51 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
The marketing of Kobe
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2005, 06:48:05 PM »
Hmm lets see....These guys are living off Allen Iverson, he knows some not so nice people in town, charges dropped. Even you can get to the point that the charges were dropped for a reason other than everything was made up.

Or...

AI comes charging in at 2 am.  Charles Jones doesn't 911 until 11 hours later.  If someone was in a panic for their life, wouldn't they call the police immediately?  Could it be that upon reflecting that AI was in his house and that he was upset that his wife had run away, he realized he could make a few bucks off of the ordeal?

Like I said, none of us really know.  And I never said AI was the saint.  On the contrary, you're the one making definitive statements about the quality of person he is.
Just to let you know people from the streets do not snitch.  That is a cardinal sin in the streets.  The lowest of the low terms or status you can get is a snitch and it is branded into you for life.  No one said he was crying in the corner fearing for his life but that still doesn't mean he was not threatend.  I am sure the people he hangs out with have seen a gun before.

As for definite statements about AI, I am pointing something out that you and Rick obviously havent seen before.  I just saw a DVD with him and T-mac like sometime last year with what I described in this thread, why should I assume he just magically has dropped that element out of his life?  And please dont say because he decided to do the olympics  :D  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

The marketing of Kobe
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2005, 06:59:31 PM »
I absoulutely agree with you JoMal. Once you start getting paid like a real person it is defiitely to your advantage to get some help so that you can adjust to what is expected of you.

It used to be that the only people with money were the ones who earned it in business.  There were rules that developed over time, and the "insiders" at the top always reguarded their image as being essential to future progress.  

But times change, and what brings success today is quite different.  Indeed some of the top-level executives in this country are nothing more than well-educated criminals.  Kozlowski got his; Skilling and Lay are going to get theirs too, and they caused damage to thousands if not millions of people, much more evil criminals than Iverson or Kobe could ever dream of being.

There are very few athletes out there who act the right way consitently, night in and out. I wrote here a while back that TO badly needed the aid of someone who could teach him about how to consider other people's feelings when speaking to the media.

If he had, he might still be a Philadelphia Eagle.  I blame the team for not taking steps to enure that Owens got that help.  As it is, he's still making stupid comments in the paper, indicating that he has learned nothing about his own failings that led to this sorry state.

It is in the interests of professional sports teams to help these young men turn into responsible adults worth rooting for both on and off the playing field.   It is also in the interests of the players since the fans willingness to pony up money to watch them play depends on their ability to stay out of criminal affairs.  

I would hope that neither Kobe or AI learned that the conduct they were guilty of was taught as being appropriate.  It's just that I would have though that Kobe would definitely have known to stop messing with that girl when she started to protest.  AI knew damn well that pulling a gun is not the way normal people deal with a situation.  That behavior may have been common where he grew up, but he should know that "keeping it real" doesn't include adopting that 'hood behavior, or not learning how to speak like a human being.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
The marketing of Kobe
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2005, 07:25:01 PM »
Just to let you know people from the streets do not snitch. That is a cardinal sin in the streets. The lowest of the low terms or status you can get is a snitch and it is branded into you for life. No one said he was crying in the corner fearing for his life but that still doesn't mean he was not threatend. I am sure the people he hangs out with have seen a gun before.

Um...Charles Jones isn't from the street.  Seriously, go back and look at some of the tapes of him.  The guy's comical.

And the point of bringing up the olympics wasn't to redeem past sins, I don't know why you keep bringing it up in that regard.  The only context that was used in was the public's ability to identify with him.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The marketing of Kobe
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2005, 10:21:50 PM »
But in comparison between Kobe and AI, I have more of a problem with Kobe because I think he knows better.  Whereas AI, growing up where he did and with the people he did, make his behaviour more understandible, but definitely not acceptable.
That pretty much says it all as far as I'm concerned, double standard BS.

Get a frigging clue, I'll pay for it if you like.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
The marketing of Kobe
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2005, 11:03:52 PM »
Touche' WOW
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
The marketing of Kobe
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2005, 11:53:17 AM »
I dunno Rick, if anything AI should know better than Kobe.  Kobe was sheltered and always had his familys money/name to fall back on.  AI on the other hand was not so lucky so he should know exactly what this kind of stuff brings.

Db, the guy threatend was AI's childhood friend was it not?  I find it hard to believe he would be letting someone live off him that was not a good close friend.

Aside from all that, just because I am bringing this up doesn't mean I dislike AI or think he is the devil because of choices hes made.  I am a Kobe fan for godsakes LOL
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

The marketing of Kobe
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2005, 01:33:07 PM »
QUOTE (rickortreat @ Dec 29 2005, 09:36 PM)
But in comparison between Kobe and AI, I have more of a problem with Kobe because I think he knows better. Whereas AI, growing up where he did and with the people he did, make his behaviour more understandible, but definitely not acceptable.

How is that a double-standard?  Are you saying upbringing and background don't affect your morals or understanding of wrong and right?

Are you really that STUPID?!?!?!? :crazy:  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
The marketing of Kobe
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2005, 01:35:50 PM »
QUOTE (rickortreat @ Dec 29 2005, 09:36 PM)
But in comparison between Kobe and AI, I have more of a problem with Kobe because I think he knows better. Whereas AI, growing up where he did and with the people he did, make his behaviour more understandible, but definitely not acceptable.

How is that a double-standard?  Are you saying upbringing and background don't affect your morals or understanding of wrong and right?

Are you really that STUPID?!?!?!? :crazy:
Weeeeellll - I can see this is going to get ugly.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

The marketing of Kobe
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2005, 01:37:53 PM »
And are you saying that people don't have a responsibility to learn proper morals and understand the difference between right and wrong regardless of their upbringing?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
The marketing of Kobe
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2005, 02:09:52 PM »
Db, the guy threatend was AI's childhood friend was it not?

No, the two guys supposedly threatened were Charles Jones and his 17 year old lover, Hakim Carey.  Neither were friends of Iverson.  Iversons causin (Shaun Bowman) was the one he knew in the apartment, and the one whom he was searching for who was supposedly with his wife.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
The marketing of Kobe
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2005, 02:33:16 PM »
And are you saying that people don't have a responsibility to learn proper morals and understand the difference between right and wrong regardless of their upbringing?
Yes he is saying that, as am I, are really so stupid you believe otherwise?
I refered to WOW's statement and Rick inane reply, I added the wrong quote
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 02:35:18 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

rickortreat

The marketing of Kobe
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2005, 03:43:54 PM »

No, I am not saying that at all.  Everyone in the world is flawed and imperfect.  Everyone of us is here in the world in order to become more aware of themselves and improve their condition.

What I am saying is that some of us have a head-start, whether by an "accident of birth" they are born into a good familly with Parents that care for and raise their children responsibly, as oppossed to those unfortunate enough to be born to a single unwed drug-addicted mother.

It is much more shamefull when one, who is raised with all the advantages that wealth and stability brings, violates the moral principals that served his familly so well, than one who never experienced the harmony that comes with treating other people fairly and with respect.  

I have far greater contempt for people like Lay and Skilling, Bush and Cheyney, people who have all the benefits of a good upbringing and excellent education and then use their high positions to steal and defraud people than I do for a dumb kid from, the Ghetto who starts dealing drugs because he can't find a job that pays a living wage.  

This does not mean I excuse either one from their crimes.  Simply that those who ought to know better and do it any way are far worse than those who act out of ignorance and desperation.

Personal responsibility and integrity are precious commodities and often appear in the best and brightest of a society.  When they use this ability and undestanding to promote the common good, all in society benefit.  When they concentrate their powers on exapanding their own wealth and power at the expense of those they should be serving, the society they live in suffers tremendously.

IMO, this society is disintigrating because those at the top have lost their moral integrity.  Rather than working to build this society up and unite people for the sake of their own self-interest, they work to divide society and benifit by concentrating wealth and power in the hands of fewer and fewer people.

You can't expect a guy like Iverson who comes from a place where people are so desparate to find a way to get by to be a leader.  You can expect a guy like Bush, who was born with a Gold spoon in his mouth, went to Yale and had a father who was President to be capable of leading the country in the right way.  If we had strong moral leaders they'd be working with people in the ghetto's to try and make them more capable, self-suficient and productive, but instead they tell you that these people are welfare junkies and don't deserve any help.  These people aren't proper leaders, they are scum!

Bush has proven himself to be a disaster as a President making one bad decision after another, all the while benefiting himself and his cronies.  What Iverson does, affects you not in the least unless you happen to like Basketball. But what Bush does affects every American and we're all paying for it.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The marketing of Kobe
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2005, 06:56:17 PM »
Rick,

More than anyone else on this board I'm amazed by your ignorance on certain subjects.  I don't think you're stupid, you just seem to have a blind spot when it comes to certain subjects.

Neither Dan nor myselft can't make any simplier for you to understand.  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
The marketing of Kobe
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2006, 01:21:27 PM »
I think you might be better served on this one, WOW, if you just refer to what you, Dan, and Rick have as a difference of opinion regarding how much environment affects the adult attitudes of suddenly wealthy athletes.

The influx of abrupt wealth does not immediately change the lifelong habits and mores of young, "ghetto" educated black men. That by concentrating on perfecting a talent in a given sport might help to remove them temporarily from the influences of their surroundings for a while does not mean they don't have to deal with those influences once they leave whatever playing field on which they  perform.

But it has to be the influences of responsible adults in their lives who want to get them away from those bad influences - and their own willingness to BE removed from them - that ultimately makes these young men conscientious  adults. Unfortunately for many of them, this is a trial and error process, with the consequences of the 'error' part sometimes too noticable to ignore.

Allan Iverson clearly is not the brightest bulb in the pack. While his talent is unquestioned, you can easily see his lack of leadership - a direct connection to intelligence, BTW - by his comments regarding practice time and his conflicts with some of his coaches. Leaders lead by example, on the court as well as off it in his case, as much as they lead by stature and skills.

A much, much better example of a true leader on the 76'ers, who admittedly learned how to lead by default, trial and error, and his intelligence, would be Chris Webber. While not quite fitting in with the team last year after his trade, he has clearly established himself on the team by understanding his role so much clearly this season. When he returned from his knee injury to the Kings, he was not doing what a leader should do by demanding his starting role back and he hindered a higher skilled offensive team by inserting himself back into the mix before he fully trusted his knee, and it killed the cohesiveness.

His first year with the 76'ers was a conflict with Iverson from the start because he suddenly was not the focus of the offense and he was out of place. But it was Webber who adapted to Iverson's game that helped the team, not so much Iverson changing anything from what he was doing.

It also should be noted about Webber. As far as I can tell, he is the only player to come back from that type of knee surgury to play anywhere near how he played before getting hurt. That is another example of what leaders do - they rehab injuries beyond what the doctors suggest, so they actually can play again. Maybe the other guys just did not have surgeons as skilled as the one who operated on Chris, but this guy worked harder then anyone will ever know to come back, plus he refused to come back too early (and was still criticized for returning too soon) so his leg could completely heal.

The point is, both Kobe and Iverson are perceived as leaders on their teams, but look at how they lead. Kobe recently got himself suspended for 'talking' about essentially hurting anyone who dared drive the lane against him. Not good leadership, is it? Iverson plays hurt like no one has before him, but do you really want all his teammates, most of whom are very unlikely not to kill themselves in the process, plowing into the stands or flinging themselves on the hardwood ten times a game? Maybe a real team leader goes to practice to show his teammates that even superstars need to work on their games and and protect their bodies from unnecessary injury to make sure they are around for the playoffs in one piece.

And leaders do not take guns to apartments in which they break into, rape young women, or for that matter hang out with dope in their suitcases like Webber did. But Chris is smart. No one ever seems to remember much about his careless moments any more because he is a master spin doctor, just like MJ and Magic were.

That is a true leader, in sports as well as politics.