Author Topic: Who is the first coach to be fired  (Read 4199 times)

Guest_Randy

Who is the first coach to be fired
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2005, 07:28:48 AM »
IMHO, Riley was simply waiting until he had finally assembled a team capable of winning before resuming the coaching job, which his ego demands.  It will also improve his winning percentage, waiting to take over when the team is ready, much like Phil Jackson.

He has proven himself to be a great coach with the showtime Lakers, Much, much better than that phoney Phil Jackson.

I doubt that Riley will try to impose that great a discipline on Shaq.  I'm pretty sure that Riley spoke with Shaq and Wade and tested the waters with them before making this move.  You don't wear down a 300 plus pound center in practice when he gets to be a certain age.  

It would not surprise me one bit to see the Heat make it to the finals.  I already picked them in the beggining of the year.

Riley will find the way to get the most out of the new additions, Antoine Walker, Gary Payton and the others.
Rick,

What would it take for PJ to prove he is a good coach this year?  Does he have to take the Lakers to the playoffs?  does he have to take the Lakers past the first round?  to the finals?

IMO, IF PJ can take the Lakers to the playoffs with this ragtag band of players -- he has PROVEN he is a good coach!  

PS - do you realize that at this point, the Lakers (with FAR less talent) have a better record than your vaunted Sixers?

guest-koast

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2005, 04:34:05 PM »
Does everyone who HATES Phil Jackson seem to magically forget that he didnt wait for the Bulls to become championship caliber when he took over?  He actually built the team up for a while before it happend?  They didnt win right away when he was there.  Lets not confuse Rick with facts or anything.  Jordan was not as good as he was later in his career, even Jordan has said PJ made him a better player by helping him realize things.  The 87-88-89 Jordan was nowhere near the jordan of 92-97

rickortreat

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2005, 06:37:51 PM »
Rick,

What would it take for PJ to prove he is a good coach this year? Does he have to take the Lakers to the playoffs? does he have to take the Lakers past the first round? to the finals?

IMO, IF PJ can take the Lakers to the playoffs with this ragtag band of players -- he has PROVEN he is a good coach!

PS - do you realize that at this point, the Lakers (with FAR less talent) have a better record than your vaunted Sixers?

I have already stated that IF Phil Jackson gets this edition of the Lakers into the playoffs, it will prove he is a good coach.  I have to admit, I'm surprised they are in the 8th slot now, but it just shows how weak some of the other teams in the west are.  If he gets out of the first round, he should be considered a great coach.  If he gets them to the finals, I'll say he's the best coach of all time!

Yes, I have noticed that the Sixers have fallen behind a lot of teams, including the Lakers.  I don't think the Lakers will end up with a better record this year though.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2005, 10:05:22 AM »
I have already stated that IF Phil Jackson gets this edition of the Lakers into the playoffs, it will prove he is a good coach.  I have to admit, I'm surprised they are in the 8th slot now, but it just shows how weak some of the other teams in the west are.  If he gets out of the first round, he should be considered a great coach.  If he gets them to the finals, I'll say he's the best coach of all time!

Yes, I have noticed that the Sixers have fallen behind a lot of teams, including the Lakers.  I don't think the Lakers will end up with a better record this year though.
Weak?

Tell me Rick, how weak can you be to in the WEST to have a playoff spot right now vs how WEAK you can be to have a playoff spot in the LEAST...err EAST?

Hear's a little hint, there are NO/NONE/ZERO teams holding down a playoff spot with a LOSING record in the WEST.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2005, 12:14:59 PM »
Rick,

What would it take for PJ to prove he is a good coach this year? Does he have to take the Lakers to the playoffs? does he have to take the Lakers past the first round? to the finals?

Hey, Rick

You should be GLAD that the Sixers aren't in the Western Conference.

I'm surprised they are in the 8th slot now, but it just shows how weak some of the other teams in the west are.

It means that, even with playing UNDER .500 ball -- they STILL have a shot making into the playoffs in the Eastern Conference!!!

rickortreat

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2005, 08:32:09 PM »
Hey Randy!

Hey, Rick

You should be GLAD that the Sixers aren't in the Western Conference.

I'm surprised they are in the 8th slot now, but it just shows how weak some of the other teams in the west are.

It means that, even with playing UNDER .500 ball -- they STILL have a shot making into the playoffs in the Eastern Conference!!!

You should be glad they're not in the West either, they're 6-2 against WC teams.  And, they would also most likely squeeze out the Lakers for the final spot!  As it is, they are First in the Atlantic, but have only the 7th best record in the conference.  

They're heading out on a road trip soon, maybe they'll get a couple of games over .500 before they return!     :D  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2005, 09:47:16 AM »
Hmm, you mention that the Sixers sit atop the Atlantic but fail to mention:  1) that they are doing so with a .520 winning percentage which makes Atlantic the most dismal conference in the league!  

As for Philly being in the Western Conference -- you should STILL be glad they aren't -- they wouldn't even make the playoffs right now, would they (but the Lakers would).  I think they need to stay in the EC -- where they still have a shot at slipping into the 8th slot -- even if they aren't playing .500 ball!!!   :rofl: