Author Topic: OT: Dabods thread missing?  (Read 9867 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
OT: Dabods thread missing?
« on: November 11, 2005, 11:26:20 AM »
bods,

What happened to the evolution vs intelligent design thread?  Can't find it, that topic is heating up again in the courts.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 11:34:06 AM »
Calling creationism "intelligent design" is like putting an old whore in a new dress.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 11:43:00 AM »
I haven't deleted a thread since January, so it wasn't me.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 12:45:25 PM »
Calling creationism "intelligent design" is like putting an old whore in a new dress.
LOL.

That's not the way it was put in court.  The Catholic Theologen said the difference between creationalism and intelligent design is the same difference between an Orange and a Navel Orange.

Now that idiot Pat Robertson is saying disaster is going to strike PA and for them not to ask God for help when it does.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 12:46:10 PM »
Is it really gone?

I just thought I couldn't find it.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 12:52:15 PM »
Intelligent Design encompasses more than Creationism.

Intelligent Design, though it does not discount the hand of God as a possibility for the creation of life, does not recognize it, either.  It could very easily be the Flying Spaghetti Monster, for all Intelligent Design knows (or cares).

Creationism recognizes the power of God as being the agent of the creation of life.  While this fits into Intelligent Design, it goes much further than Intelligent Design is willing to go.  It is an article of faith rather than one of science.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 12:53:38 PM »

Darn.  There went my Theory of Intelligent Deletion.

Joe

-----------

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 01:00:28 PM »

Intelligent Design, though it does not discount the hand of God as a possibility for the creation of life, does not recognize it, either.  It could very easily be the Flying Spaghetti Monster, for all Intelligent Design knows (or cares).

Creationism recognizes the power of God as being the agent of the creation of life.  While this fits into Intelligent Design, it goes much further than Intelligent Design is willing to go.  It is an article of faith rather than one of science.
The 'god' part is infered though is it not Joe?  May not be the Christian/Cathloic form of god but it is a god none-the-less.  A higher being designed us.  Sounds almost exactly the same as creationism except they are trying to be more PC by not saying it is one religions god and not another.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 02:12:08 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 02:00:28 PM »

Intelligent Design, though it does not discount the hand of God as a possibility for the creation of life, does not recognize it, either.  It could very easily be the Flying Spaghetti Monster, for all Intelligent Design knows (or cares).

Creationism recognizes the power of God as being the agent of the creation of life.  While this fits into Intelligent Design, it goes much further than Intelligent Design is willing to go.  It is an article of faith rather than one of science.
Joe,

Same difference, orange vs navel orange.

Same whore different dress.

The other problem is that students are directed to "Of Pandas and People" for further explanation.  That book is such a piece of UNscientific garbage.  The completely ignore such things as the age of the earth and they also ignore tons of fossil evidence.

The Invisible Pink Unicorn (IPU) belief should also be taught alongside creationalism IMO.  If we're going to become morons we should strive to become complete morons.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 02:17:48 PM »
westkoast,

The 'god' part is infered though is it not Joe? May not be the Christian/Cathloic form of god but it is a god none-the-less. A higher being designed us. Sounds almost exactly the same as creationism except they are trying to be more PC by saying it is one religions god and not another.

NO.  The "God" part isn't inferred at all.

If the initial human beings were brewed up in a laboratory of intelligent creatures (in other words, aliens), engineered to be like what we are - perhaps as a scientific experiment - that would be intelligent design.  These designers aren't "Gods" of any sort - just another life form with more advanced knowledge than we currently have.  It's not even a "higher" form of life - just more advanced than we currently are.

It also could be that these aliens "designed" humans with traits that were superior to their own.  Humans might be "higher" life forms than the creators.  

With intelligent design, there is the possibility that life on Earth didn't originate on Earth!

It's just that Christian beliefs fall under this category.
Joe

-----------

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 02:25:01 PM »
westkoast,

The 'god' part is infered though is it not Joe? May not be the Christian/Cathloic form of god but it is a god none-the-less. A higher being designed us. Sounds almost exactly the same as creationism except they are trying to be more PC by saying it is one religions god and not another.

NO.  The "God" part isn't inferred at all.

If the initial human beings were brewed up in a laboratory of intelligent creatures (in other words, aliens), engineered to be like what we are - perhaps as a scientific experiment - that would be intelligent design.  These designers aren't "Gods" of any sort - just another life form with more advanced knowledge than we currently have.  It's not even a "higher" form of life - just more advanced than we currently are.

It also could be that these aliens "designed" humans with traits that were superior to their own.  Humans might be "higher" life forms than the creators.  

With intelligent design, there is the possibility that life on Earth didn't originate on Earth!

It's just that Christian beliefs fall under this category.
How would Christian beliefs fall under this if god is left out of the loop?  People are fighting for this to be taught in schools, many of which are Christians themselves.  Being created by aliens or a noodle monster sounds more far fetched than evolution ever did.

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 03:06:52 PM »
The other problem is that students are directed to "Of Pandas and People" for further explanation. That book is such a piece of UNscientific garbage. The completely ignore such things as the age of the earth and they also ignore tons of fossil evidence.

The Invisible Pink Unicorn (IPU) belief should also be taught alongside creationalism IMO. If we're going to become morons we should strive to become complete morons.

Actually, I disagree.  Fossil evidence provides no more scientific proof that evolution is the source of life than it does that creation was the source of life.  As for the book, I've not read it, and don't even know what it is, so I cannot attest to whether or not it is unscientific garbage or not.

And I personally prefer Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, myself...just because of the pirate outfits.

Personally, I'm surprised that it's taken Intelligent Design this long to arrive.  Essentially, as we've gotten more and more scientifically advanced, we've assumed more and more power and prided ourselves more and more on it.  Now, we have a theory which essentially says that someone JUST LIKE US could be the creator for life on Earth.  If God is dead, this kind of arrogance would have him rolling over in his grave.

Intelligent Design isn't *JUST* a weapon of the Creationists, folks;  it's a weapon of those who believe MAN is the ultimate intelligence.  Tower of Babel, Part II, if you will.

Unfortunately, that's the umbrella Christian beliefs fall under - as do the beliefs of those who say God created the universe, and then just let it go and do it's own thing.  

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - it's very likely that the origin of life on Earth won't be a fact of science, but one of HISTORY, provided through the eyes of an outside observer, since, until such evidence is presented, no amount of research will adequately prove any type of initial design - Intelligent Design or Evolution - as fact.

Joe

-----------

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2005, 03:11:55 PM »
How would Christian beliefs fall under this if god is left out of the loop? People are fighting for this to be taught in schools, many of which are Christians themselves. Being created by aliens or a noodle monster sounds more far fetched than evolution ever did.

Because *HOW* it was done is a different question than *IF* God did it.  The first is a question for science.  The second is a question for theology.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that a shade of gray is nothing but a combination of black and white that has not been broken down far enough.

Joe

-----------

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2005, 03:26:16 PM »
Joe,

You are not a child, it's obvious who's pushing this intelligent design bullshit and why.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2005, 03:54:42 PM »
Fossil evidence provides no more scientific proof that evolution is the source of life than it does that creation was the source of life.

Huh?

Fossil evidence is one of the biggest reason's why evolution was adopted over creationism by the scientific community for an explanation on the probable source of life.  While I agree, Evolution hasn't answered the question fully nor has it bluntly stated this was the first ever life form on Earth.  Fossil evidence HAS shown that the tenant of Evolution that says all life has diverged from a singularly simple organism is true.  Fossil evidence has NOT proven the fact that every single life form that has ever existed was uniquely created as is by a higher form.  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."