Author Topic: KEEPERS  (Read 17304 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2005, 06:03:14 PM »
Ziggy,

Actually, it affects one team every year.  And I'm okay with that.  It provides one LOSING team the opportunity to say "I'm keeping my best player longer" at the cost of not getting another top-level player that can help them.

Personally, I'm okay with it as it stands.
I recognize that it "can" happen every year, but doesn't mean that it will happen.  For instance assume Ted has the #1 pick again next year.  He will not be able to keep James or Marion, so is he also not going to keep his next best keeper, so that he can draft them #1?  Not likely considering the majority of the best players in the league are going to available in the draft.  He will keep his best 2 avilable players, and try and get the best overall player in the draft.
The following season, he will then have new keepers, because of who was available in the draft the previous year.  Not until this crop of keepers, has gone through the process will this issue arise again.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2005, 09:14:53 AM »
Well, age will also become an issue.  While Shaq is a keeper now in 2 years I doubt that he will still have that status.  Same for Nash or Kidd.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2005, 09:44:19 AM »
Okay, let's get these next couple of weeks over with quick!  I wanna draft!

I'm pretty excited about the draft - probably more pumped up about this draft than I was any of the others.  I've been chatting with Skander and Caleb, and I think the excitement around here is definitely building.

Randy - just so it's said, we have multiple computers at my place, so if you're at all interested in doing the draft up here in Columbia, just say the word.  I think Skander's coming over for the draft.  Caleb, unfortunately, is stuck in St. Louis.  Of course, given the fact that you're picking right before me, prepare for a barrage of obscenities in the event you take the people I want!

WayOut - please keep in mind that this is probably your BEST opportunity to pay Skander back for stealing your draft sheet two years ago.  Don't waste it!  Besides - you screwing Skander over encourages Skander to screw Caleb over, plus, you can be sure Skander is planning on stealing all of YOUR players in the even-numbered rounds!

Skander and I were talking about tons of various late-round players last eve, and it should get interesting in late rounds.  There will be lots of "speculation" players out there.

This is going to be fun!

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2005, 11:11:45 AM »
WayOut - please keep in mind that this is probably your BEST opportunity to pay Skander back for stealing your draft sheet two years ago. Don't waste it! Besides - you screwing Skander over encourages Skander to screw Caleb over, plus, you can be sure Skander is planning on stealing all of YOUR players in the even-numbered rounds!

Don't listen to him, WOW, we'll have a nice and cooperative draft won't we?  I'll let you have the players you want and you'll let me have the players I want, and we'll keep on keepin' on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Randy, it would be fun if you do want to come up and do the draft.  

For now I want you to remember how well Gerald Wallace and Jeff Foster did for you.  Have you got the utter lack of production and waste of roster space feeling visualized, is it to the forefront of your memory.  The disappointment, the inability, the agony of defeat thanks to those two players who did squat for you.  Now I want you to remember that Joe Vancil gave you those players, Randy.  Joe unleashed those two unholy beacons of mediocrity on your team, Randy, please remember that!!      
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2005, 10:46:26 PM »
Amare's out 4 months.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2005, 11:51:52 PM »
Amare's out 4 months.
I am OK with Caleb replacing Amare if he wishes.  I think it is against the spirit of the group not to at least allow him that option.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2005, 06:09:14 AM »
I agree.

I am especially sympathetic since I have Amare in my other keeper league :(

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2005, 09:20:31 AM »
Wow.  Makes for an interesting pick.  With additional roster sizes, and knowing you'd have Stoudemire for the two years following....and someone is bound to take him early if they don't have their settings set up to NOT take him and they miss the draft....

Joe

-----------

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2005, 09:50:38 AM »
If Caleb lets him into the draft I would seriously consider taking him with the 12th or 13th pick.  Mostly because of Joe's reasoning....he won't help this year until after the all-star break but then I have a top keeper for two more years.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

KEEPERS
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2005, 02:21:24 PM »
It's an interesting dilemna for Caleb with Amare.  I would definately pick him up in the 1st round -- no doubt about it.  He can sit on my bench all year long.  As for allowing him to choose a different keeper -- all for that too (and not just because I would like a chance to pick him up!   :rofl: ).

Thanks for the offer, Joe, I'm not sure that I will be able to work that out.  I am helping install a sound system that day and I have told them that I have to go draft my players in the middle.  If that day clears, I will let you know.  

On a side note, I got GREAT seats given to me for the Tigers game with Iowa on Saturday -- 50 yard line, row 12.  Unfortunately, I will not be able to go -- it's sooo much fun razzing my older brother about catching a game when I can get great seats (got front row on the 30 last year).  

Actually, Jeff Foster did me well during the time when JO was down.  My rebound stats were KILLING me -- and I NEVER found an opportunity to play Rip Hamilton (he was always sitting on my bench because I had better players at the SG position and he didn't help me in the rebounding department).  He actually played better for Joe than he did me.  I dropped Wallace almost as soon as the trade happened.  I don't count that trade against Joey V.  BUT if I can mess up his draft, it certainly would hurt my feelings.   :cheers:  Send me a list of who Joey V. is going to draft, Skander -- I'd love to go down and choose every player he wants!  :rofl:  

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2005, 03:22:09 PM »
Send me a list of who Joey V. is going to draft, Skander -- I'd love to go down and choose every player he wants! 

:bounce: That's the spirit Randy, expect an e-mail in the next week detailing his draft strategy. :bounce:

Amare's out 4 months.

As is pretty much the sentiment, I don't have a problem if Caleb wants to switch keepers, although he'll have to decide if he wants to risk not having him on the roster as it seems like everyone (without a C at least) is picking him up in the first round.

And Caleb, *MAN* that really sucks about Amare.   Injury's suck, on my ABC superteam, I've lost Deuce McAllister and Javon Walker for the season to the SAME injury.    
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2005, 05:23:13 PM »
Oh yeah, Randy?  Well, just remember, on the way back, I'll take all the players YOU want...

...you know, that's just doesn't work.  A team filled with a bunch of Lakers and Jeff Foster just doesn't seem like much of a "threat" for me to be making!

Joe

-----------

Guest_Randy

KEEPERS
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2005, 08:27:44 AM »
Hmm, Joe, I seem to remember faring pretty well against you last year.  In fact, my biggest problem at the end of the year (granted several others had this problem too) was the fact that either my players sat or they were injuried toward the last of the season.  I remember being a little tentative looking across you with those big fangs and claws but once I realized the fangs were plastic and the claws were really Ms. Lee press on nails, it wasn't so bad going head to head with your flea ridden carcass.

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2005, 10:22:24 AM »
Randy,

True.  You won 6-5 against me in week 2, and lost to me, 6-5 in week 13.  Apparently, as the year went on, somehow, my team got stronger, or yours got weaker, or both.

I wonder how that happened.

Joe

-----------

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
KEEPERS
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2005, 11:35:55 AM »
...the claws were really Ms. Lee press on nails, it wasn't so bad going head to head with your flea ridden carcass.
 :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"