Author Topic: KEEPERS  (Read 17305 times)

Guest_Cord

KEEPERS
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2005, 11:03:42 PM »
here are my keepers:

stoudamire
bibby

just kidding,

pierce
bibby

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2005, 11:20:43 PM »
don't forget to sign up for the league.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2005, 12:24:56 AM »
Cord *IS* signed up, Derek.  It's LTTK - our reigning champion - who hasn't signed up yet.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2005, 08:15:23 PM »
ahh....oops :P

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2005, 10:05:06 AM »
Okay, now that keepers have been finalized:

For managers with top draft picks, there's an interesting opportunity:  keep your stars longer by allowing them to go through the draft.  This year is an interesting case in point.  Had Ted had another keeper-type talent, he could have NOT declared LeBron James as a keeper.  When James went through the draft, and was selected #1 by Ted, his eligibility would have been reset.  In other words, Ted would have had him this coming year via the draft, the year after that by keeping him the first time, and the year after that by keeping him the second time.

So, as you can see, as the league ages, it's NOT going to be the same folks in the draft every third year.  It's simply that we're at the start of the league, and the projected top 6 or 7 from two years ago is essentially the same top 6 or 7 next year.  THAT WILL CHANGE over time, especially as managers start to take risks.

Over time, things will even out.  For example, Derek had 3 bona-fide keepers coming into this off-season:  Garnett, McGrady, and Kidd.  That is the other factor that will even things out - acquisitions of top-level players.  Our league doesn't do MUCH of it, but it does happen, and as it happens, it will balance things out.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 10:05:44 AM by Joe Vancil »
Joe

-----------

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2005, 11:30:43 AM »

For managers with top draft picks, there's an interesting opportunity:  keep your stars longer by allowing them to go through the draft.  This year is an interesting case in point.  Had Ted had another keeper-type talent, he could have NOT declared LeBron James as a keeper.  When James went through the draft, and was selected #1 by Ted, his eligibility would have been reset.  In other words, Ted would have had him this coming year via the draft, the year after that by keeping him the first time, and the year after that by keeping him the second time.

So, as you can see, as the league ages, it's NOT going to be the same folks in the draft every third year.  It's simply that we're at the start of the league, and the projected top 6 or 7 from two years ago is essentially the same top 6 or 7 next year.  THAT WILL CHANGE over time, especially as managers start to take risks.

Over time, things will even out.  For example, Derek had 3 bona-fide keepers coming into this off-season:  Garnett, McGrady, and Kidd.  That is the other factor that will even things out - acquisitions of top-level players.  Our league doesn't do MUCH of it, but it does happen, and as it happens, it will balance things out.
DAMMIT . . .
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Guest_Randy

KEEPERS
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2005, 11:33:15 AM »
This has a pretty easy remedy, finalize keepers before declaring the draft order.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2005, 11:39:41 AM »
Well, it's really not that easy.

Because we allow people to chose their slot, that takes time.  Unless we can get guaranteed response time next year, we either have to:
a) declare keepers LONG before the season, meaning an Amare type situation could prove devastating.
b.) start the selection process late, potentially having people not select
c) not select your draft position

I'm not sure I entirely like any of them, but may just go with b since most people just select the highest position, and I'll just default to that.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 11:39:49 AM by dbodner »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
KEEPERS
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2005, 12:01:50 PM »
a) declare keepers LONG before the season, meaning an Amare type situation could prove devastating.

I guessed I missed it, what's the Amare situation?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2005, 12:10:39 PM »
Amare might have season-ending knee surgery.  Its been bothering him all summer he says.  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
KEEPERS
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2005, 12:27:29 PM »
Amare might have season-ending knee surgery.  Its been bothering him all summer he says.
Wow, hadn't heard it was season-ending, just that it's been keeping him out of scrimmages.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2005, 12:39:35 PM »
To clarify, they aren't saying it's season ending, they say that it would take him out for a prolonged part of the season (like maybe until Christmas or the All-Star break I'm guessing).

It actually hasn't kept him out of scrimmages, yet.  They do heat therapy on it in the mornings and he plays in the afternoons.  Here's the clip I've read:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AjaX...ov=ap&type=lgns
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2005, 01:46:24 PM »

I don't see it as that big of a deal.  We are talking about 1 team every 2 years, if the right circumstance arises.  That circumstance has now passed for next year, considering how many high quality draft picks there will be, and the year after that, the keepers will be first time keepers in most cases.  We are 3 years before it could really be an issue again, and again it would really only effect 1 team.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2005, 03:50:14 PM »
Ziggy,

Actually, it affects one team every year.  And I'm okay with that.  It provides one LOSING team the opportunity to say "I'm keeping my best player longer" at the cost of not getting another top-level player that can help them.

Personally, I'm okay with it as it stands.  

Joe

-----------

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
KEEPERS
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2005, 04:03:54 PM »
Oh well. It's probably better that I give up LeBron after the season. I truly, honestly feel that I would get sick of having the same keepers year after year and would end up trading Marion and LeBron sooner than later. In fact, I came very close to trading one or both to ziggy this year. If Zig had a better second keeper, I probably would've pulled the trigger.

Anyway, I think it's inevitable that we will all eventually get sick of having the same keepers year after year, which is why since its birth, I have thought the system we have in place is pretty well designed, but pretty much unnecessary.

I know we've settled it long ago, and I am on board with it, but my opinion is still either keep the keeper system simple and let people have keepers as long as they want them (which will not be as long as you fear) or do away with keepers. Make the draft REALLY exciting each year.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 04:08:00 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton