Author Topic: Trivia Q  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Trivia Q
« on: August 29, 2005, 03:06:44 PM »
I ran across this when verifying WOWs bogus contention that the 1989 Pistons faced a Magicless Lakerteam.  Reality was their idol was in the 1st two games.

Michael Coops salary in 1989.
(Hint Karemm pulled 3 mil and Magic got 3.1)

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Trivia Q
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 03:20:45 PM »
Reality,

WayOutWest isn't wrong.  Magic got hurt in that series.  Pretty bad, as I remember it.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Trivia Q
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 03:22:03 PM »
I ran across this when verifying WOWs bogus contention that the 1989 Pistons faced a Magicless Lakerteam.  Reality was their idol was in the 1st two games.

Stop smoking crack.

I know when Magic went down.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Trivia Q
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 03:31:08 PM »
I ran across this when verifying WOWs bogus contention that the 1989 Pistons faced a Magicless Lakerteam.  Reality was their idol was in the 1st two games.

Stop smoking crack.

I know when Magic went down.
Joe you need to reread WOWs claim.
Since the Lakers lost to Detroit when Magic was in for three games, how did his injury stop their PURRRFECT quest?  He was fine when Det worked them in Gm 1 and 2.

Oh yes, Scott being out.

Laker lineup of:
Kareem
Worthy
Magic
Coop
Michele Thompson-AC Green

Couldn't avert a sweep.  :rofl:

Now lets talks some reality.
How i wish that puss CupKake wouldn't have cheapshotted Bob Parish in Game 2 of '85.  One of the most disgusting plays in finals history.  Lakers felt they choked in '84, were bound and determined to not play stoopidball in 1985 Finals.  We were all set for a great finals....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 03:31:54 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Trivia Q
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 03:45:27 PM »
Joe you need to reread WOWs claim.
Since the Lakers lost to Detroit when Magic was in for three games, how did his injury stop their PURRRFECT quest?  He was fine when Det worked them in Gm 1 and 2.

Reality, you really need to check your facts.  First, Magic went out in the 3rd or 4th quarter of game 2.  The Lakers were clearly on their way to steal game 2.  The Lakers had a hard time in game one because they lost Scott's outside shooting, Scott's replacement, Tony Cambell, was a slasher and more of an streak shooter.  I watched every minute of the game, you are probably getting you faulty facts second hand.

Oh yes, Scott being out.

Laker lineup of:
Kareem
Worthy
Magic
Coop
Michele Thompson-AC Green

Couldn't avert a sweep.  :rofl:

Magic made a breif appearance in game 3 and it was clear he couldn't play.  I think you are just joking around because you can't be that dumb.  

Now lets talks some reality.
How i wish that puss CupKake wouldn't have cheapshotted Bob Parish in Game 2 of '85.  One of the most disgusting plays in finals history.  Lakers felt they choked in '84, were bound and determined to not play stoopidball in 1985 Finals.  We were all set for a great finals....

Here's some "reality" for you.  The Celtics were the thugs.  They routinely went to thug ball because they couldn't handle the Lakers.  They were particularly hard on Worthy becasue he did get rattled.  Kupchak and Lucas were a DIRECT response to the Celtic thugs, something that worked for one season but killed them against the Rockets.  Had the Celtics not resorted to thug ball vs the Lakers that probably would not have happened, maybe you should wish for that, maybe you should wish that THE, no one of but THE, most disgusting Finals play had not occured when McHale closthslined Kurt Rambis on a fast break.  Then maybe Parish would NOT have been charged for the Rambus "payback".  

FYI, THE most disgusting play was Malone's elbow on Isiah forehead.  That was brutal.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 03:47:37 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Trivia Q
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 04:09:21 PM »
I knew Magics appearance in Gm 3 was only long enough to find out he couldn't go and thus he went in for some drama queen publicity.

Game one and two they got beat, period.  Dets pathetic foul shooting is the only thing that kept it from being a 20 point blowout.

Rambo does not = Parish.
So if McHale would have clothelined Kareem it would have the same effect on Lakers? :nonono:   For one, Toothpic would have probably broken bones.

McHales clotheline should have resulted in immediate suspension from at least the rest of the Finals.  Nonetheless, losing Rambo is no comparison to losing Bob Parish.  In fact i think Rambo stayed in.  Bob is one of the best all time NBA centers irregarless of what this peach fuzz board thinks.  After getting run by 30 in game 1, Lakers showed they could play the halfcourt game in game 2.  Celts thought they could lollygag and flip the halfcourt switch on in the 4th qtr.  1-1 and we were set for a great Finals.  Enter Cupkake.

Now back to 1984, would losing McHale have cost the Celts the title.  Good question.  The 84 bench was sold tho, we would have had someone step up as opposed to whining.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 04:12:09 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Trivia Q
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 04:16:17 PM »
I knew Magics appearance in Gm 3 was only long enough to find out he couldn't go and thus he went in for some drama queen publicity.

Game one and two they got beat, period.  Dets pathetic foul shooting is the only thing that kept it from being a 20 point blowout.

Rambo does not = Parish.
So if McHale would have clothelined Kareem it would have the same effect on Lakers? :nonono:   For one, Toothpic would have probably broken bones.

McHales clotheline should have resulted in immediate suspension from at least the rest of the Finals.  Nonetheless, losing Rambo is no comparison to losing Bob Parish.  In fact i think Rambo stayed in.  Bob is one of the best all time NBA centers irregarless of what this peach fuzz board thinks.  After getting run by 30 in game 1, Lakers showed they could play the halfcourt game in game 2.  Celts thought they could lollygag and flip the halfcourt switch on in the 4th qtr.  1-1 and we were set for a great Finals.  Enter Cupkake.

Now back to 1984, would losing McHale have cost the Celts the title.  Good question.  The 84 bench was sold tho, we would have had someone step up as opposed to whining.
You're a step slow, the Celtics thugged up everybody.  Worthy and Kareem were the focus of their cheapshot thuggery bet everybody on the Lakers got their taste, it's just too bad or karma that Parish got the worst of it when the Lakers RETALIATED.

Losing Worthy or Kareem is more than eqivalent to losing Cheif.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Trivia Q
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 04:38:55 PM »

You're a step slow, the Celtics thugged up everybody.  Worthy and Kareem were the focus of their cheapshot thuggery bet everybody on the Lakers got their taste, it's just too bad or karma that Parish got the worst of it when the Lakers RETALIATED.

Losing Worthy or Kareem is more than eqivalent to losing Cheif. [/quote]
 Trivia Answer.  Michael Coop earned 100K in 1989.[/size]

Are you now equivocating a player being injured and out to Worthy and Kareems inablility to play physical hoop?  Those two were pampered almost as much as Magic.  And before you say its just me, Steve Hartman:

"Magic was the most pampered officials recipient in NBA history.  When he drove the lane the opposing team had to part like the Red Sea or it would be a whistle."

Kareems pamper calls vs Moutain Man Mark Eaton were sickening.  They shouldn't have even made the 88 Finals.  Game 5 at 2-2 was a farce!!  Utah was the better team.  JoeV weigh in or lose all Jazz credibility.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Trivia Q
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 04:50:59 PM »
Quote from: WayOutWest,Aug 29 2005, 09:16 PM

Losing Worthy or Kareem is more than eqivalent to losing Cheif.
Trivia Answer.  Michael Coop earned 100K in 1989.[/size]

Are you now equivocating a player being injured and out to Worthy and Kareems inablility to play physical hoop?  Those two were pampered almost as much as Magic.  And before you say its just me, Steve Hartman:

"Magic was the most pampered officials recipient in NBA history.  When he drove the lane the opposing team had to part like the Red Sea or it would be a whistle."

Kareems pamper calls vs Moutain Man Mark Eaton were sickening.  They shouldn't have even made the 88 Finals.  Game 5 at 2-2 was a farce!!  Utah was the better team.  JoeV weigh in or lose all Jazz credibility. [/quote]
 Put the pipe DOWN!

Losing, as in injury, Worthy or Kareem.

I guess the Purple and Gold is just a bit tougher then the Celtic Green.

FYI, THE most pampered player in the league was Jordan.  They even changed the rules and came down of rough play because MJ couldn't handle the 2nd rate Piston thugs by adding the flagrant foul rule.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Trivia Q
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 05:05:45 PM »
No, really WOW, he CAN be that dumb. Quoting Steve Hartman just confirms it.

Bandwaggoners of the world unite!!!!!!!
Dan

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
Trivia Q
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 05:05:46 PM »
Gonna have to lose all Jazz credibility, I guess.  I wasn't following Utah in 1988.  I believe those would have been my Dallas years.

As for the "thuggery," Boston started it.  The fact that it was Rambis is irrelevant...Boston *HAD* to stop the fast break.  Not just that particular fast break, but *EVERY* fast break.  Boston doesn't stop the fast break, and they lose, period.  And, being the team that pioneered the fast break in the first place, you can bet that every Boston player heard that directly from the old leprechaun himself, cigar and all.

I'm not saying the Lakers were clean little pretty boys.  Kareem was a physical thug in his own right, night in and night out.

Anyone saying Kareem was "pampered" is just plain wrong.  The guy was pushed on every play, because it was really the only way to defend the sky-hook reliably (ala James Donaldson).  Oh, every once in a while, a Gilmore might block one, but that just went with the territory.  I have little doubt that Kareem had less of his shots blocked than anyone else in the 1980's.

And before we try to say the Lakers "just" retaliated, keep in mind they got Kupchak - who was another graduate of the Wes Unseld School of Hard Knocks (along with Jeff Ruland and Rick Mahorn) - long before the 1984-85 season.  They needed players like that to counter the Moses Malones of the world.  *EVERY* team had an enforcer.

Joe

-----------

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Trivia Q
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 06:54:25 PM »
No, really WOW, he CAN be that dumb. Quoting Steve Hartman just confirms it.

Bandwaggoners of the world unite!!!!!!!
 :rofl:  That you don't like Steve Hartman adds to your one way vision.  Wait, it couldn't be added to.  Now go snuggle with Vic the Brick n Michele Thompson.
Hartman is the ONLY reasonable figure on that entire show.  

Dumb on hoop from you is a compliment.

WOW knows exactly what I'm talkin about.

rickortreat

Trivia Q
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 07:18:57 PM »
Again Joe tells it the way it was.

All the teams were a bit guilty of thugery even before the 80's.  This is why the Center positon was so critical, he was the only guy who could get a foul called when he went up for a shot with two players hanging on him.

For years the Sixers got beat out of the finals by the Celtics, led by Parish, McHale and Bird.  They had to get Moses to beat the crap out of those guys, and that was enough to put them in the finals, nearly sweeping the league in the playoffs.

Every team after that was worse and worse in terms of their physical play upto the Pistons.  The league cracked down on the play after that, and the Jordan era came along.  If you breathed on MJ and he felt it, it was a foul.

The difference is, the teams prior to the Pistons were far more finesse teams, better shooting, strong inside play, etc.  As the 80's went on, the play got worse and worse, more physical, less finesse, worse shooting and harder fouls.    

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Trivia Q
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 01:19:29 AM »
Gonna have to lose all Jazz credibility, I guess.  I wasn't following Utah in 1988.  I believe those would have been my Dallas years.

Anyone saying Kareem was "pampered" is just plain wrong.  The guy was pushed on every play, because it was really the only way to defend the sky-hook reliably
A bandwagoner :eek2:  Joe, where are the birth to death police?
Okay let me bring you back to date.  Jomal may be the only one to have seen this with clarity.

5/15/1988 Jazz easily punk the Lakers 96-89 to go up 2 -1
LA even up series at 2-2.  
Johny Stocks would average 16 assists per game this series, easily outdoing his vastly overated counterpart.  

Rubber match Game 3.
In a display as disgusting as the Kings-Lakers fixed Gm 6, Man Mountain was completely burned for 3 foul calls in the 1st 8 minutes.  Anyone saying Kareem was not pampered either did not see the game or did not see the game.  The Lakers squeaked by 111-109.  Don't even ask about foul shots for the game and the last minute.

Frank Layden refused to let reporters in.  If you know anything about him you know what that meant.  He had never done that before.  Sternfish imposed a huge (at the time 10,000 fine).

Kupcake and "enforcer" do not belong on the same vocabulary planet.  If he was going to retaliate why not go after McHale?  Instead he gets Chief when his back is turned and Chief is going up for a rebound.  Coward.  Celts didn't have Billy Walton yet and were effectively done with Chief at 50-60%.

Kareem was not constantly pampered nor was he constantly pushed.  The worst pushing he took by far was a few of the games vs Dave Cowens in the 1974 Finals.  Cow was repeatedly shoving a completely passive Kareem 25 feet from the hoop and the refs stood and watched.

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
Trivia Q
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 08:01:18 AM »
Reality,

Are you trying to tell me that...*GASP*...a HOME TEAM SUPERSTAR got the benefit of QUESTIONABLE CALLS?  

Sorry.  That's old news to me.  The officiating in the league sucks, and generally goes to benefit those who would benefit the MOST if the game were called correctly in the first place.

Joe

-----------