Author Topic: Trivia Q  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Trivia Q
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 08:13:36 AM »
Reality,

Are you trying to tell me that...*GASP*...a HOME TEAM SUPERSTAR got the benefit of QUESTIONABLE CALLS?  

:rofl:   GASP Are you going to tell me when a Lakers playoff opponent at their own place got 3 calls on Kareem 8 minutes into the game?  28 in a 4th qtr?

I'll grab a Snickers Bar.

Frank Layden did not pull drama queen stunts.  His locking out the media spoke volumes.  Other source?  Johny Stockton.  Who at the time would not say a word to the media about it.  Want to see his face when "calls" and "Magic" and "playoffs" were brought up after this series?

Skandery, I have seen a bit of MTVs Room Raiders.  I want you to go over to Joes and check his clothes drawers, esp the closet.  I am positive there will be *SOME* purple n gold items.  

Be sure to use the tongs.  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Trivia Q
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 09:22:16 AM »
Don't send Skander...he actually *WAS* a Laker fan at one point in time!

YES, there are some purple items in my closet - specifically my UTAH JAZZ backrest-thingy.  I have no idea what something like that is called.  It was a Christmas gift from a friend.

Also, with purple and gold is my shirt from high school Jazz Band.  Our colors were purple and gold.

And I've got a gold colored shirt or two from supporting the Missouri Tigers, and a gold shirt from one of the Carfax events.  I think I've still got a shirt that has a purple tint to it, which I really liked, but I may not have that one anymore.  Seems like it got a hole in it and I discarded it.

And you'll find no Lakers gear.  Not *ANYWHERE*.

Just pray that I don't send one of your friends over to your place to check for Larry Bird, Dr. J, and Michael Jordan items.  I'll give the Lakers credit where it is due...along with anyone else.  You simply won't.

Amazingly enough, I don't have that much basketball stuff around.  About all I've *EVER* had was a hideous Phoenix Suns purple and orange baseball cap, posters of Elvin Hayes, Alvan Adams, and Paul Westphal,  the aforemention Jazz thing, an Atlanta Hawks cheerleaders poster (given out free at the game), and some basketball trading cards from the 1979 season.  No shirts or anything like that.  Oh - and if basketballs count, I've got a Duke basketball and a North Carolina basketball.  I had a Georgetown basketball, but that got lost.  I won those at Six Flags.  I was planning on collecting the entire ACC, but the last couple of times I've been, they've not had any ACC teams out there other than Duke and Carolina.  And then there are a few Missouri Tigers things from college.

Never could find a copy of the Bobby Jones - Secretary of Defense poster.  And the poster I ordered for B. Jones back in my high school days turned out to be for some bum football player who I'd never heard of.  Bert Jones, maybe?

I do have several basketball books, however - most notably, the "Book of G'Qan."

Wow.  I guess I DO have a lot of basketball stuff around.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Trivia Q
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 09:27:40 AM »
5/15/1988 Jazz easily punk the Lakers 96-89 to go up 2 -1
LA even up series at 2-2. 
Johny Stocks would average 16 assists per game this series, easily outdoing his vastly overated counterpart. 

That punking wasn't as easy as the blowout in game one.  Jazz set a record for only socring 8 points in the 1st quarter.  The game was over after the first 12 minutes.   Lakers totally cakewalked in game 2 and got beat by thug ball again.  I couldn't believe lilly soft Thrul Bialey was roughing up Worthy.

Rubber match Game 3.
In a display as disgusting as the Kings-Lakers fixed Gm 6, Man Mountain was completely burned for 3 foul calls in the 1st 8 minutes.  Anyone saying Kareem was not pampered either did not see the game or did not see the game.  The Lakers squeaked by 111-109.  Don't even ask about foul shots for the game and the last minute.

Frank Layden refused to let reporters in.  If you know anything about him you know what that meant.  He had never done that before.  Sternfish imposed a huge (at the time 10,000 fine).

It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about, you probably didn't even watch the game.  Game 3 was brutal and completely in the Jazz's favor.  The Jazz mixed up a little thugary with some BRILLIANT play by Johnny Stockton.  He completely picked the Lakers apart like a J.V. scrimage game.  There was talk about who the best PG in the league was after that game.  A disgusting display the the JAZZ won. HELLO! JAZZ WON GAME 3 Mr. Clueless.

All the talk about who the best PG in the league is/was ended after game 4.  Magic DOMINATED the game.  After Stocktons passing display in game 3 Magic did everything under the sun to pull out a Laker victory in game 4.  Magic was the only guy not intimidated by Eaton.  Magic scored at will but more impartantly he got the other Lakers easy shots.  Kareem and Worthy were completely taken out of the series by Eaton's size, even Bailey was getting into Worthy's head.  Worthy was not use to someone as big AND almost quick as him guarding him.  It really affected his play.  After Magic got him back in the series Worthy stepped up big time and destoyed Bialey, Tarpley and Salley.

Kupcake and "enforcer" do not belong on the same vocabulary planet.  If he was going to retaliate why not go after McHale?  Instead he gets Chief when his back is turned and Chief is going up for a rebound.  Coward.  Celts didn't have Billy Walton yet and were effectively done with Chief at 50-60%.

Stop crying about that already, this issue has been addressed.  When the Celtics decided to play thug ball they can't pick and chose how teams decide to pay them back.  Why didn't the Celtics go after Kupchak or Lucas???  Why did they go after Worthy?  Big babies!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:32:45 AM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Trivia Q
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 09:32:44 AM »
And there's a difference between the "star power" of Kareem and MARK EATON.  Tell me anytime Hakeem Olajuwon had 3 fouls in the first 8 minutes outside of his first two years in the league.  Or Patrick Ewing.  Or David Robinson.  Or Tim Duncan.  But you won't have to look hard if you look at the likes of Michael Olowakandi, or Greg Ostertag, or Theo Ratliff, or Wayne Cooper, or Ervin Johnson, or Tom Owens or Kent Benson.

Mark Eaton WASN'T a superstar...and don't try to say that he was.

You want to badmouth the officiating?  Fine by me.  It deserves it, because it DOES call the game only one way - in the favor of the superstar.  Nate McMillan strips the ball from Michael Jordan?  Foul on McMillan.  Jordan strips the ball from McMillan?  Steal.

The only time no-calls go against superstars is when it's another superstar doing it - Reggie Miller with a push-off of Jordan, or John Stockton stealing the ball from Jordan because Jordan tried to fend off Stockton's arm-hook.

But that's a campaign to clean up officiating.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!