Author Topic: Thoughts on Laker's new squad  (Read 4177 times)

Guest_Randy

Thoughts on Laker's new squad
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 08:43:01 AM »
Sorry, that was Randy above!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 08:48:24 AM »
And here is how the selfish, impish Kobe responded to PJ's book and comments about himself:

"He's just trying to sell books. I'll just leave it at that," Bryant said Wednesday at the Lakers' training camp at the University of San Diego. "I wish him the best at whatever he's doing now. I have responsibilities here, and that's what I have to take care of. That's it."

Wow, kind of takes the air right out of yours sails, doesn't it, Reality?  Kind of hard to call him a selfish brat after responding with a mature comment, huh?  Doesn't change what Kobe has done in the past -- but I do think he responding the right way.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2004, 09:18:17 AM »
And here is how the selfish, impish Kobe responded to PJ's book and comments about himself:

"He's just trying to sell books. I'll just leave it at that," Bryant said Wednesday at the Lakers' training camp at the University of San Diego. "I wish him the best at whatever he's doing now. I have responsibilities here, and that's what I have to take care of. That's it."

Wow, kind of takes the air right out of yours sails, doesn't it, Reality?  Kind of hard to call him a selfish brat after responding with a mature comment, huh?  Doesn't change what Kobe has done in the past -- but I do think he responding the right way.
But what publicist wrote the reply for him?

This response proves nothing.  However do NOT take that to mean I side with Reality in this little pissing match.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2004, 09:31:03 AM »

Wow, kind of takes the air right out of yours sails, doesn't it, Reality?  Kind of hard to call him a selfish brat after responding with a mature comment, huh?  Doesn't change what Kobe has done in the past -- but I do think he responding the right way.

This response proves nothing.  However do NOT take that to mean I side with Reality in this little pissing match.
He was asked in the middle of practice
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2004, 09:37:53 AM »

Wow, kind of takes the air right out of yours sails, doesn't it, Reality?  Kind of hard to call him a selfish brat after responding with a mature comment, huh?  Doesn't change what Kobe has done in the past -- but I do think he responding the right way.

I think that Lurker is implying that Kobe's publicist ran out on court and jotted down a few notes so that Kobe could reply.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2004, 09:52:13 AM »

I think that Lurker is implying that Kobe's publicist ran out on court and jotted down a few notes so that Kobe could reply.
If this reply was so spur of the moment then why did it take more than 24 hours AFTER the Lakers brass replied for Kobe to reply?  IMO it still is not representative of how Kobe really feels about the book.

And since when did Rudy T allow reporters on the court to ask questions in the MIDDLE of practice?  Must be a Los Angeles phenomenon.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2004, 10:27:45 AM »

If this reply was so spur of the moment then why did it take more than 24 hours AFTER the Lakers brass replied for Kobe to reply?  IMO it still is not representative of how Kobe really feels about the book.

And since when did Rudy T allow reporters on the court to ask questions in the MIDDLE of practice?  Must be a Los Angeles phenomenon.
You are making it sound like Kobe issued a press statement about it -- he was ASKED a question by a reporter (whom I am SURE was trying to continue the feud between Kobe/Shaq/PJ) and Kobe answered his question as quoted.  You seem to be implying that Kobe went to the press to issue his statement -- he responded to a reporter -- and responded properly, IMO, as much as it kills you!   :rofl:

As for when the reporter asked the question, I don't know -- was simply going with Koasts word on that.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2004, 10:32:32 AM »

I saw the clip on the news yesterday at the Dentist office.  People were shooting around in the backround and he was sweating a little.  Either practice just finished, they were taking a breather in the middle of practice, or it was just about to begin.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 10:33:06 AM by westkoast »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2004, 10:34:28 AM »
Yes, it bothers me as much as Reality's "omission" is killing you Laker fans.

Kobe had several opportunities to respond to the press prior to when he did.  Buss & Kupchak both had an opportunity to respond...and have those responses reported....several hours prior to Kobe's meeting with the press.  There was plenty of time for Kobe to be "coached" on how to respond to this matter.   Even if he wasn't told exactly what to say my guess was he was told to be "diplomatic" in his response.  I find no reason to believe that this response "shows a more mature Kobe" or whether he was the originator of the response or not.
-Moody Blues

No

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2004, 10:55:55 AM »
Most of the feuding between Kobe, Shaq, and Jackson went on away from the cameras. Kobe has always spoken respectfully about his Laker associates with the press, but clearly the discussions away from any media took a different tone entirely.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2004, 11:58:54 AM »

Kobe had several opportunities to respond to the press prior to when he did.  Buss & Kupchak both had an opportunity to respond...and have those responses reported....several hours prior to Kobe's meeting with the press.  There was plenty of time for Kobe to be "coached" on how to respond to this matter.   Even if he wasn't told exactly what to say my guess was he was told to be "diplomatic" in his response.  I find no reason to believe that this response "shows a more mature Kobe" or whether he was the originator of the response or not.
So you are saying now that Kobe is respecting the organization and submitting to their desires by stating a prewritten response to PJ's book and comments.  Surely, that's not what you are saying, right?  That would too almost sound like a mature response, wouldn't it?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2004, 01:46:53 PM »

Kobe had several opportunities to respond to the press prior to when he did.  Buss & Kupchak both had an opportunity to respond...and have those responses reported....several hours prior to Kobe's meeting with the press.  There was plenty of time for Kobe to be "coached" on how to respond to this matter.   Even if he wasn't told exactly what to say my guess was he was told to be "diplomatic" in his response.  I find no reason to believe that this response "shows a more mature Kobe" or whether he was the originator of the response or not.
So you are saying now that Kobe is respecting the organization and submitting to their desires by stating a prewritten response to PJ's book and comments.  Surely, that's not what you are saying, right?  That would too almost sound like a mature response, wouldn't it?
Or that of a person who believes that he is representing HIS team and showing that polished public persona that he is known for.

Still can't deduce whether it is a mature response, a calculated one or the company line.

But if you want to continue to believe that a person who has shown very little mature tendancies suddenly turned the corner then go right ahead.

I will continue to see this as a measured response by someone whose comments to the media over the past year give very little support to the notion that anything he says can be believed as truth.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2004, 02:15:00 PM »

Kobe had several opportunities to respond to the press prior to when he did.  Buss & Kupchak both had an opportunity to respond...and have those responses reported....several hours prior to Kobe's meeting with the press.  There was plenty of time for Kobe to be "coached" on how to respond to this matter.   Even if he wasn't told exactly what to say my guess was he was told to be "diplomatic" in his response.  I find no reason to believe that this response "shows a more mature Kobe" or whether he was the originator of the response or not.
Or that of a person who believes that he is representing HIS team and showing that polished public persona that he is known for.

Still can't deduce whether it is a mature response, a calculated one or the company line.

But if you want to continue to believe that a person who has shown very little mature tendancies suddenly turned the corner then go right ahead.

I will continue to see this as a measured response by someone whose comments to the media over the past year give very little support to the notion that anything he says can be believed as truth.
Good point.  It is hard to give him the benefit of the doubt after some of the stuff said by PJ in his book.  At the same time he knew the question was comming and gave a typical response.  Most of his responses are like that.

There is a change in his attitude.  That rape case really did a number on him.  On top of that he does understand he is now the only leader on this team and has changed from last season.  Kobe of years past would never have called his team together to speak to all of em as a leader.  He would have just went all alone, into the gym, and worked on his own game by himself.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 02:15:29 PM by westkoast »

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2004, 04:01:38 PM »

You guys are so dumb. Because it was asked during practice it couldn't have been a coached response? Are you serious?

Man the Kobe-love is in high gear already. We'll be proclaiming his complete (not just legal) innocence in the Eagle, Colorado incident any day now.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 04:02:11 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2004, 05:23:58 PM »

You guys are so dumb. Because it was asked during practice it couldn't have been a coached response? Are you serious?

Man the Kobe-love is in high gear already. We'll be proclaiming his complete (not just legal) innocence in the Eagle, Colorado incident any day now.
LOL @ this

We are dumb because we believe its possible he just answered the question without help....but you are not dumb because you believe its impossible for him to think of that intellectual :rolleyes: response on his own?  Here is my post right above yours

Good point. It is hard to give him the benefit of the doubt after some of the stuff said by PJ in his book. At the same time he knew the question was comming and gave a typical response. Most of his responses are like that.

There is a change in his attitude. That rape case really did a number on him. On top of that he does understand he is now the only leader on this team and has changed from last season. Kobe of years past would never have called his team together to speak to all of em as a leader. He would have just went all alone, into the gym, and worked on his own game by himself.

Kobe normally saves the pre-madonna theatrics for behind the scenes.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 05:46:36 PM by westkoast »