Author Topic: Thoughts on Laker's new squad  (Read 4176 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Thoughts on Laker's new squad
« on: October 13, 2004, 09:50:42 AM »
Last night the Lakers played the Sonics at the Anaheim Pond for their first pre-season game kicking off the new squad.  The squad really is brand spanking new, only 6 players from last years squad returned.  Two of which (Walton and George) are unable to play due to physical health.  I believe they ended up loosing.  I had to leave before the end of the 4th.  Few things I noticed last night:

The game is more exciting to watch.  They are really dead set on being a fast break team.  Kobe and Odom are seriously sprinting at every chance they get.  Atkins looked like he could run the break pretty well as long as the hounds are running and he stays healthy.  Rudy T said they've studied the better fast break teams in the league and have decided to set the level of running at 30% of the time.

The half court offense looks ok.  Not horrible but not the caliber that is going to get this team to the playoffs and beyond.  Kobe is going to be taking the ball up the floor for the most part depending on what plays are being called by Rudy.  Of course the half court set revolves around Kobe and what he can make happen out of double teams.  Last night the spacing was horrible and he found himself being doubled with no where to go.  Its the pre-season so Im just being anal lol.

Kobe was excellent last night.  He came back in tip top shape, looks a little bit more build in the upper body.  His 3 point shots looked like 15 foot jump shots last night.  Rudy T said before the game that Kobe showed up extra early to start for the season, rallied all the players and sat down with them, and even has been staying after to work on his game.  He said that its everything he could have asked for this year as far as him trying to be more of the leader and him setting a great example.

The new guys....Mihm looke REAL good last night.  I thought he would be a dud but the guy was challenging ALOT of shots.  Got a few real good blocks in and was hitting the boards.  I was VERY impressed.  I would just like to see some consistancy thru the whole year.  More likely than not he will come off the bench at the 4 or the 5.  Hopefully he gets a good amount of playing time at the 5.  Odom was off shooting wise but its nice to have a guy who can rebound all be able to push the ball and score.  He was quick out of the gates and really looked like hes happy to be on this squad.  Atkins, he did his game last night, normal Chuck kinda play.  We will see down the line.  A few other new guys impressed me last night (Brown was one of em) but I don't know there names yet haha.

The team defense didn't look half bad for most of the game, until the Sonics started to hit shots.  Then players like Slava and new guys were not rotating or speaking.  Other than that it didnt look half bad, especially considering it was a pre-season game.  Odom, Kobe (even tho Allen burned him a few times), and Mihm did play good defense for the most part.

Overall I am pretty excited about this squad.  They wont get to the finals but hay the games will be entertaining.  Kobe is stepping up into his new role as leader and of course came back in tip top shape.  The new players are very atheltic and look like they are happy to be on the squad.  The defense wasnt half bad for a pre-season game.  Too many turn overs but again its pre-season.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 09:54:28 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 10:02:53 AM »
Several notes on the new look Lakers:

1)  LOTS of injuries, presently:  Vlade, Brian Grant, Luke Walton, Devean George.

2)  LOTS of new players.

This means lots of time for this team to gel -- so I don't look for them to do well or hit a stride at all until at least a 1/3 of the way through the season.  And a lot of that depends on getting healthy.  It's time to drop the Medvendenko and George experiments -- who wants them for a draft pick (heck, even an 18th rounder in year 2167 -- and that's for BOTH of them!).

If Vlade can play decent minutes, he would be a TREMENDOUS help to this squad -- his ability to pass the ball, as well as knock down the open shot, can give Kobe and co. the ability to move without the ball and Vlade WILL find them.  We can't play Vlade 35 minutes a night but if he can go 25, he would be a GREAT deal of help.

The Lakers are building for the future -- although Kobe will NEVER admit to that.  The Lakers need to keep Vlade on for a couple of years for no other reason than to try and lure Peja to see the light of purple and gold!   :nod:  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 10:08:25 AM »
Oh, one other thing -- I think the Lamar Odom at 4 is going to be a TOUGH sell -- at least for me.  He is athletic, a decent rebounder for his size and is VERY talented with the ball but look at who he is going to be playing against in the Western Conference:  TD, Brand, CWebb, Randolf, KMart, Dirk, KG, Amare, etc.  I think that is going to grind him into the dirt.  I remember what playing center did to Horace Grant in Seattle -- left him injured, tired and frustrated -- the Lakers can't afford for that to happen to Odom.  I think they are going to have to look at changing the line-up based upon who they are playing.  

For instance:
   Against Spurs -- play Odom at the 3 -- then they have to choose who to put Bowen on.
   Against Kings -- play Odom at the 3 -- Odom can't handle CWebb or BMiller (assuming CWebb is healthy)
   Against Suns -- play Odom at the 3
   Same for most of the players I listed above -- I think you can play him a little against Dirk, KMart and KG but don't leave him there the whole game.  When you play teams like the Sonics, you can leave Odom at the 4.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 10:12:31 AM »
Oh, one other thing -- I think the Lamar Odom at 4 is going to be a TOUGH sell -- at least for me.  He is athletic, a decent rebounder for his size and is VERY talented with the ball but look at who he is going to be playing against in the Western Conference:  TD, Brand, CWebb, Randolf, KMart, Dirk, KG, Amare, etc.  I think that is going to grind him into the dirt.  I remember what playing center did to Horace Grant in Seattle -- left him injured, tired and frustrated -- the Lakers can't afford for that to happen to Odom.  I think they are going to have to look at changing the line-up based upon who they are playing. 

For instance:
   Against Spurs -- play Odom at the 3 -- then they have to choose who to put Bowen on.
   Against Kings -- play Odom at the 3 -- Odom can't handle CWebb or BMiller (assuming CWebb is healthy)
   Same for most of the players I listed above -- I think you can play him a little against Dirk, KMart and KG but don't leave him there the whole game.  When you play teams like the Sonics, you can leave Odom at the 4.
I dont think he will play the 4 unless they try to go small to run, kinda like what Dallas does at times.  Brian Grant and Vlade were out so that pushes Odom and Mihm up.  I expect to see Vlade at the 5 starting and Grant at the 4...with Grant and Mihm switching at the 5.

I was thinking the same thing last night when I was odom at the 4.  Hes a little undersized body wise to play there.  Hes 6'10 so he can defend the smaller less talented PFs.....but Duncan and Webber would eat him up.

Randy what did you think about the squad last night tho?  I was actually impressed somewhat for a pre-season game.  I was expecting this team to come out and look HORRIBLE.  They held their own and could have won if they played a little bit better defense.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 10:14:10 AM by westkoast »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 10:18:24 AM »
Oh, one other thing -- I think the Lamar Odom at 4 is going to be a TOUGH sell -- at least for me.  He is athletic, a decent rebounder for his size and is VERY talented with the ball but look at who he is going to be playing against in the Western Conference:  TD, Brand, CWebb, Randolf, KMart, Dirk, KG, Amare, etc.  I think that is going to grind him into the dirt.  I remember what playing center did to Horace Grant in Seattle -- left him injured, tired and frustrated -- the Lakers can't afford for that to happen to Odom.  I think they are going to have to look at changing the line-up based upon who they are playing. 

For instance:
   Same for most of the players I listed above -- I think you can play him a little against Dirk, KMart and KG but don't leave him there the whole game.  When you play teams like the Sonics, you can leave Odom at the 4.
I dont think he will play the 4 unless they try to go small to run, kinda like what Dallas does at times.  Brian Grant and Vlade were out so that pushes Odom and Mihm up.  I expect to see Vlade at the 5 starting and Grant at the 4...with Grant and Mihm switching at the 5.

I was thinking the same thing last night when I was odom at the 4.  Hes a little undersized body wise to play there.  Hes 6'10 so he can defend the smaller less talented PFs.....but Duncan and Webber would eat him up.

Randy what did you think about the squad last night tho?  I was actually impressed somewhat for a pre-season game.  I was expecting this team to come out and look HORRIBLE.  They held their own and could have won if they played a little bit better defense.
ok everyone take note that THIS is what me, 101, BBF, and ummm reality i guess will be sounding like when the tim duncan era is over..... :eek2:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 10:24:46 AM »

For instance:

ok everyone take note that THIS is what me, 101, BBF, and ummm reality i guess will be sounding like when the tim duncan era is over..... :eek2:
 :rofl:  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 10:28:03 AM »

For instance:

I like the new look Lakers -- well, as much as you can like to see your team rebuilding and reloading.  For a "rebuilding" team, I think they are EXTREMELY talented -- and I have been VERY pleased in what I have seem from Kobe this year.  Coming out BEFORE the season began by leading practices with new players and showing himself as the true leader.  He always allowed Shaq to be the leader before and Shaq was NEVER interested in working any harder than he felt he had to (and by-the-way, he presently feels like he HAS to in order to soothe his pride and show the rest of the world that he is Superman and doesn't need a side-kick).  

Odom is a VERY talented player -- IF he stays focused -- can Rudy keep him focused?  I'm not sure that I believe he can for a whole season.  I DO think that Kobe can though -- much the same way that MJ did for the Bulls.  There was ZERO question about whose team the Bulls were and Rodman wouldn't have made it anywhere else -- he simply respected MJ's work ethic enough to stay in line, IMO.  I think Kobe can keep Odom focused as long as Kobe doesn't get caught up in his new "god" status.  It's hard to see anyone else when you think you are god.

I think that Atkins is a decent PG -- better than we had last year, IMO.  Kobe has SG all locked up -- I would like an upgrade at SF and like to keep our big men healthy (Vlade, Grant and Mihm).  The rest is bench fodder -- I would LOVE to see the Lakers try to trade for Chris Wilcox -- would the Clips be interested in George Medvendenko or even Rush?  The Lakers need to build a future in the middle -- right now they are operating with the past.  I SURE would love to see Peja in purple and gold in the future -- and I DO think he is looking to change zipcodes when his contract expires.  Hey, Kobe, it's time for you and Vlade to throw some big parties down in LA -- and find Peja's wife some acting jobs -- if Rick Fox can get acting jobs, we KNOW someone down there has connections!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 10:38:58 AM »

For instance:

ok everyone take note that THIS is what me, 101, BBF, and ummm reality i guess will be sounding like when the tim duncan era is over..... 

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

You must be  :alcohol:  because we ALL know that when the TD era is over, Reality will have NEVER been a Spurs fan and will be  :hail:  whoever the latest bandwagon team is at the present when that happens.  Okay, with the exclusion of the Lakers -- I don't think he would EVER go that far no matter how many more titles they win.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 11:01:31 AM »
Maybe by that time you will have a group read of the Phil Jackson article at the Laker House.

Randy, now teach B-Rad how to say "I never said that!!.." and you will have completed him.

:lol:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 11:13:53 AM »
Maybe by that time you will have a group read of the Phil Jackson article at the Laker House.

Randy, now teach B-Rad how to say "I never said that!!.." and you will have completed him.

Step your insult game up Napoleon  :up:

Yes a group read of the WHOLE article.  Not just parts we dont want to put out there because it doesnt go with our gimmick.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 01:02:02 PM »

Reality, what does ANY of this have to do with my post?  Did PJ write anything that the world didn't already know?  

Of course, I don't know what that has to do with you being a bandwagon fan -- I guess if you don't want to address the issue, the second option is to deflect?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 03:34:18 PM »

Reality, what does ANY of this have to do with my post?  Did PJ write anything that the world didn't already know?  

Of course, I don't know what that has to do with you being a bandwagon fan -- I guess if you don't want to address the issue, the second option is to deflect?
Actually the second option is to.....

DANCE!!!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2004, 09:20:54 PM »

Randy,

You're an innocent, well sort of,  who got in on the middle of this.  I put up the article on Phil Jackson.  The one that the Associated Press and ESPN and all other media outlets highlight it as "Jackson blasts Kobme" etc.  

Because I did not quote the entire article, instead put up most of it (compare the two if you wish, mine and John Does), Westkoast insists this is not reverant to Kobme and thus by leaving out a sentence or two I am merely trying to spread hate.  I responding to his drizzle, but he then insists because i won't respond to his argument with himself, I am avoiding the issue.   Its too funny.  Or sad.

Anywho rent the movie Malibus Most Wanted, the part where "B-Rad" aka Westkoast runs a "crue" in the Malibu Mall.  Amoung those who "dance" around this vicious gang leaders threats are a kindly 89 year old cashier who gave B-Rad the wrong aromatherapy scents by accident.  She not only gives B-Rad the correct scents but also validates his parking.  Afterwords BRad thumps his chest at how successful he was in "getting his" from the cashier.  Likewise I'm letting Koast beat himself for in his own mind winning the argument (with himself).

I know Westkoast also may come after me as he did the 89 year old cashier.
I better watch out.

Randloph please don't act as if the Jackson news is exactly as you and the Laker House stated it was during last season.  Nonethess I see you do accept it and are moving forward.  That's good.

A bandwaggoner:  "Anyone who roots for more then one team from birth to grave."  2.  "he whom does not give absolute worship and marketing $$ to one team."
 :rofl:   Breaking free can happen to anyone.  Even LakerHouse members.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 09:24:41 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 12:34:25 AM »

Randy,

You're an innocent, well sort of,  who got in on the middle of this.  I put up the article on Phil Jackson.  The one that the Associated Press and ESPN and all other media outlets highlight it as "Jackson blasts Kobme" etc.  

Because I did not quote the entire article, instead put up most of it (compare the two if you wish, mine and John Does), Westkoast insists this is not reverant to Kobme and thus by leaving out a sentence or two I am merely trying to spread hate.  I responding to his drizzle, but he then insists because i won't respond to his argument with himself, I am avoiding the issue.   Its too funny.  Or sad.

Anywho rent the movie Malibus Most Wanted, the part where "B-Rad" aka Westkoast runs a "crue" in the Malibu Mall.  Amoung those who "dance" around this vicious gang leaders threats are a kindly 89 year old cashier who gave B-Rad the wrong aromatherapy scents by accident.  She not only gives B-Rad the correct scents but also validates his parking.  Afterwords BRad thumps his chest at how successful he was in "getting his" from the cashier.  Likewise I'm letting Koast beat himself for in his own mind winning the argument (with himself).

I know Westkoast also may come after me as he did the 89 year old cashier.
I better watch out.

Randloph please don't act as if the Jackson news is exactly as you and the Laker House stated it was during last season.  Nonethess I see you do accept it and are moving forward.  That's good.

A bandwaggoner:  "Anyone who roots for more then one team from birth to grave."  2.  "he whom does not give absolute worship and marketing $$ to one team."
 :rofl:   Breaking free can happen to anyone.  Even LakerHouse members.
Did that Napoleon comment get to you?  :nod: I believe so.  I've made it pretty clear for you lil buddy.  You left that part out of the article on purpose to stay with your gimmick.  Not only will you not admit you kept it off on purpose, which obviously you did because of how you copied one part, pasted it, and then skipped the other part and pasted the rest.  You wont admit you have a gimmick here on the board.  All Laker fans are bias but you are not.  Why dont you tell everyone why you purposely did not paste that part?  Thats all im asking lol.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  @ your definition of Bandwagon.  Close.  I'll give you an A for making an attempt at defining yourself.  The first step in getting rid of any problem is admiting you have one in the first place.  Like magically becomming a die hard Spurs fan after admitting to being a Celtic fan (when they were winning of course) and being a Kings fan after they looked like they were going to beat the Lakers.  Not to mention your Piston parade.

Around here we call avoiding issues dancing.  And a One and a Two, sing it Reality.....

We can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 12:47:20 AM by westkoast »

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 08:42:27 AM »
Randloph please don't act as if the Jackson news is exactly as you and the Laker House stated it was during last season. Nonethess I see you do accept it and are moving forward. That's good.

Please be specific rather than your normal generic self -- please mention EXACTLY what "myself and the Laker House" stated it was during last season?

And, you still fail to admit that you left out the ONE comment in which PJ took some personal responsibility away from Kobe -- and since Kobe is the ONLY person still left on the Lakers, he is the ONLY one you still desire to attack!  

Prejudism is simply hatred to anyone or anything that closes your mind.  

PS - Your bandwagon definition isn't even close but thanks for trying!