Author Topic: Next Game - Nov 11 Utah  (Read 8327 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Next Game - Nov 11 Utah
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 08:34:16 AM »
-Thad Young looks like he's trying too hard now.  He wasn't good the previous game and he was gawdawful this game.  He's trying to step up and failing miserably.  Just not ready to make the next leap.  Should never play 40+ minutes this year unless the letters OT are involved.

This is probably why you shouldn't critique a player based on a boxscore. 

I disagree with every statement you made there.

He took 15 shots last night.  He was averaging 15 shots per game in his last 4.  He wasn't "trying to step up", he was playing his typical role.  He just missed shots.

And he did not "fail miserably" last game.  He put up 19 pts/4 with a steal and got to the line 4 times.  Sure, he "only" shot 39%, but he ignited our run in the second half.

And there's no way you can make a determination of how many minutes he should play the entire year based on 1 game.  With the way he's growing, he's going to be deserving of heavy minutes.  Even when he's not scoring, with his defense and "ability to score without plays being run for him", he's almost always going to be more valuable on the court than Willie Green, Kareem Rush or Royal Ivey, the players who would primarily be replacing him.  He absolutely will be deserving of 40 minutes at times, and may already be.

Other than that, I agree 100% with your post  ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 08:38:08 AM by Derek Bodner »

jemagee

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 09:45:16 AM »
I think the only thing we need is patience.  The Sixers were in the game, and dominated in the third quarter. For a change I liked Mo's substitutions, but they did not perform and when they didn't is when Utah took control.

And got dominated in the fourth and first and second...and mo's substitutions, per usual, were bad...why are louis williams and willie green EVER on the court at the same time.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 09:54:25 AM »
-Thad Young looks like he's trying too hard now.  He wasn't good the previous game and he was gawdawful this game.  He's trying to step up and failing miserably.  Just not ready to make the next leap.  Should never play 40+ minutes this year unless the letters OT are involved.

This is probably why you shouldn't critique a player based on a boxscore. 

I disagree with every statement you made there.

He took 15 shots last night.  He was averaging 15 shots per game in his last 4.  He wasn't "trying to step up", he was playing his typical role.  He just missed shots.

And he did not "fail miserably" last game.  He put up 19 pts/4 with a steal and got to the line 4 times.  Sure, he "only" shot 39%, but he ignited our run in the second half.

And there's no way you can make a determination of how many minutes he should play the entire year based on 1 game.  With the way he's growing, he's going to be deserving of heavy minutes.  Even when he's not scoring, with his defense and "ability to score without plays being run for him", he's almost always going to be more valuable on the court than Willie Green, Kareem Rush or Royal Ivey, the players who would primarily be replacing him.  He absolutely will be deserving of 40 minutes at times, and may already be.

Other than that, I agree 100% with your post  ;D

Thad was not taking bad shots, but he missed a few in fairly close and was off on his outside shot.  This entire team has missed a ton of close in shots which looks like hte team is collectively playing with a tight sphincter.  Brand has taken 12 or more boards in every game except last night and Sacto (blow-out), so his rebounding has been stellar.  

The Brand and Miller combo does not work, it did not work 5-6 years ago and it does not work now.  Iggy is a high-level complimentary player.  In a half-court offense that executes he will look fine, and he is a beast on the break.  This team has a poor half-court offense and rarely gets on the break, and no matter how big his contract is, Iggy can't simply take over a game.  His skills enhance the team within the game, they do not carry the team.  Also, next summer if he is here he goes to Mark Price's school too.  Still, I think it is not that hard to make Iggy fit into most teams, but when most of the offense is half-court one-on-one stuff, he is not that good.

As far as a shooting big man goes, I think this team would look a lot better offensively with Jason Smith playing.  His shot looked great in the summer league and he has a sweet stroke in general.  If he was not hurt you could field a 4 big-man rotation without Sammy and have better floor spacing.  Smith would be a nice bridge to Speights maturation process.  Sure, Smith is no great shakes defensively, but he blocks some shots and can run the floor.  It's not like the defense could be any worse anyway, at least the offense would be better.  I saw them run a pick and roll with Sammy and Miller last night where Sammy popped out wide open from about 15 ft.  Miller looked at him and knew a pass would be useless, so he drove and made a lay-up, using more of his sizable butt than any quickness of course.  Sammy is basically useless with the ball in his hands.  Not that he is any kind of savior, but this team misses Smith.

Thad and Speights both look good even when they are not hitting shots.  Speights actually looks pretty fundamentally sound for his experience level and his maturation will be fun to watch.  Moving Miller and Sammy need to be the primary personnel moves that are made this year.  Miller is not a fit and is declining, and Sammy can be replaced with what we have plus getting back a decent, short-term vet big man as part of the return.

But until this team is taught defined roles that fit the different personnel packages and develop the ability to execute a real game plan on a consistent basis, they are stuck deep in the mud.

jemagee

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 09:58:33 AM »
The Brand and Miller combo does not work, it did not work 5-6 years ago and it does not work now

So is that a failure of the GM or a failure of the coach not making it work?

I'm not sure who is right and who is wrong on the Brand fitting the roster - and I know it's early but I"m hoping this isn't the 'we made a big splash we got a big name but he doesn't fit and we're screwed' kind of free agent signing that happens sometimes.

Speights actually looked bad to me last night - but he's a rookie - so i'm fine.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 11:53:04 AM »
The Brand and Miller combo does not work, it did not work 5-6 years ago and it does not work now

So is that a failure of the GM or a failure of the coach not making it work?

Both, but Miller is on an expiring contract so Stefanski has an opportunity to remedy this piece of non-cohesion in short order, one way or another.  Brand and Boozer (Boozer is a little faster, Brand is a better shot-blocker) are very similar players and teams will be lining up to get Boozer this off-season.  I just don't see Brand as that hard of a guy to play with.  The running game last year, which could never last long term, hid some of our players' deficiencies.  Miller's lack of quickness and shooting range, Sam's complete lack of offensive skills beyond dunking a lob, and Iggy's poor outside shooting (although he was shooting better than this last year, I really wonder what he spent the summer doing while waiting for his contract to be worked out). 

Still, are the players as a whole really this completely incompatible, or does the coaching job done by Cheeks just make it look that way.  Last year he got by on coaching max effort out of a bunch of good athletes, now he has more basketball talent/skills, plus teams know what the Sixers want to do.  It reminds me of a young baseball pitcher or hitter who succeeds early, but can't adjust once the league adjusts to them.  I don't know that Cheeks has the coaching ability to amke the required adjustments.

jemagee

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2008, 11:54:43 AM »
Both, but Miller is on an expiring contract so Stefanski has an opportunity to remedy this piece of non-cohesion in short order, one way or another.

We'll see about that 'remedy'...if they knew coming in that brand and miller wouldn't work they should have traded him this off season before he started sucking up the court and was still riding the artificial high of the 'over' performance last season

jemagee

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 12:00:08 PM »
What's sam cassell doing these days?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 12:55:43 PM »
What's sam cassell doing these days?

Hopefully, Stefanski has him somewhere in Switzerland being cloned followed by some rapid growth acceleration, Judge Dredd style.   ;D

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 01:16:44 PM »

Still, are the players as a whole really this completely incompatible, or does the coaching job done by Cheeks just make it look that way.  Last year he got by on coaching max effort out of a bunch of good athletes, now he has more basketball talent/skills, plus teams know what the Sixers want to do.  It reminds me of a young baseball pitcher or hitter who succeeds early, but can't adjust once the league adjusts to them.  I don't know that Cheeks has the coaching ability to amke the required adjustments.

That pretty well sums it up.  Not to metion that Mo's Sixer teams have always come out bad and then gone on a late run when the opposition is either banged up or less motivated.  To his credit, Mo keeps his Sixer teams working hard all year.  Unfortunately, that alone won't get this team to where it is expected to be.

I guess these next 15 games will be telling.