Author Topic: "Keltics" not "Seltics" plus/minus numbers for this season.  (Read 2431 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Keltics" not "Seltics" plus/minus numbers for this season.
« on: November 19, 2007, 02:33:34 PM »
From 82 games.com
http://www.82games.com/0708/0708BOS.HTM

Player             Net      On     Off     Net   Roland
                   Prod    Court  Court  Diff     Rating
K. Garnett   22.1   20.1   4   16.1   20.4
Paul Pierce   15.2   17.5   14   3.5   11.9
Ray Allen   15.9   15.8   21.3   -5.5   9.8
Rajon Rondo   -6.3    12.9    23.9    -11    -7.7
K Perkins   -6.6   11.6   22.7   -11.1   -7.9

Look at the impact of KG.  They are 16.1 points better with him on the floor, but 5.5 points worse with Ray Allen.  Right now KG is the league MVP.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: "Keltics" not "Seltics" plus/minus numbers for this season.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 02:36:52 PM »
You know KG cannot get the MVP with a team stacked like his.  Those +/- have never factored in when they pick an MVP.  If that was the case Kobe should have got it in 03-04 and Duncan should have got it last year.

The team really looks average when KG is not on the floor tho.  I do agree.  There is one thing you can't fully see in stats and it is how hard players are trying when certain people are on the floor.  I feel like KG's energy on the floor makes the rest of the squad play that much higher.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 02:43:58 PM »
Enough of this Keltic/Seltic crap already.  Seltic is the Americanized version, as the Irish and Scotts in America are.

Anyone who doubts this and has the appropriate "ethnic" background can verify this for themselves by traveling to their country of origin, and seeing how the locals look at them.

You may think of yourself as an Irish/American here, but once you go there, you'll realize that your culture is completely different.

We speak english, but NOT like they do.  We distill whiskey, but it doesn't taste like Scotch (usually)

Besides Boston Keltics simply doesn't sound American.

And KG can easily get the MVP- it usually goes to the best player on the best team, but since TD got it last year, and KG is a fan and sportswriter fav, if Boston gets to the finals, I think he'd be the logical candidate.  Being on a stacked team never hurt anyone's chances- that's one of the ways they get noticed.  Nobody's going to give the MVP to a team with a .500 or lower record.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 03:11:39 PM »
but since TD got it last year, and

Uh, no.  Didn't happen.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 03:21:30 PM »
Enough of this Keltic/Seltic crap already.  Seltic is the Americanized version, as the Irish and Scotts in America are.

Anyone who doubts this and has the appropriate "ethnic" background can verify this for themselves by traveling to their country of origin, and seeing how the locals look at them.

You may think of yourself as an Irish/American here, but once you go there, you'll realize that your culture is completely different.

We speak english, but NOT like they do.  We distill whiskey, but it doesn't taste like Scotch (usually)

And KG can easily get the MVP- it usually goes to the best player on the best team, but since TD got it last year, and KG is a fan and sportswriter fav, if Boston gets to the finals, I think he'd be the logical candidate.  Being on a stacked team never hurt anyone's chances- that's one of the ways they get noticed.  Nobody's going to give the MVP to a team with a .500 or lower record.

Tim Duncan didn't get the award last year.  Dirk did.  The reason being that Tim Duncan has a better squad then Dirk does and Dallas had a better overall record (Even tho the Spurs had the better 2nd half of the season).  Same reason why I don't think KG will get it even if the KELTICS make it to the finals.  The team is too stacked.

The year Kobe had Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Shaq, and the rest of the cast he had the best season and the +/- with him on the floor was pretty one sided.   He did not win the award that year.  In fact I think he came 3rd in voting.

Btw...The MVP gets determined long before the finals.  So it doesn't matter if they get their or not because it is a regular season award.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 06:13:58 PM »

An "Americanized" version of KELTIC is SELTIC? What, pray tell, IS an American SELTIC? The word HAS no Americanized version. If Boston wants to identify with the old Irish tribe, it certainly does not mean anything to think its transferance to the U.S. should require us to change its pronunciation. We don't call them ERISH, or SKATS, or ANGLUSH. They aren't WELTS.

I travel to Europe extensively. They all look at me for what I am - an American. If I told them I was a SELTIC from Boston, they would assume that was my last name. But if I told them my ancestry was KELTIC, we may not understand each others culture, but they would certainly understand what I mean.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 12:20:53 AM »
I travel to Europe extensively. They all look at me for what I am - an American. If I told them I was a SELTIC from Boston, they would assume that was my last name. But if I told them my ancestry was KELTIC, we may not understand each others culture, but they would certainly understand what I mean.

I hear ya, I travel all over the place as well and nothing says "American" like the mentality of stating Keltic as Seltic, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.  Most of "us" Americans have the horrid habit of taking America with us where ever we go.  The same opinion some of us have of "ebonics" and the people who use it is the same opinion most of the world has of Americans and that "Seltic" attitude.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 03:31:01 PM »
Its all Noah Webster's fault --- and really he was just commissioned by the separatist propaganda of Revolutionary times. 

Everything after that is a footnote and the effect of having the most influential economic/socio-cultural system on the planet (. . . so far).
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."