Author Topic: SI.com rumors & truths --- Any of these sound appealing?Or just down right silly  (Read 6918 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
2- Webber feels he still can play for someone.

But is the feeling mutual...does anyone feel that Webber can play for them.  And actually contribute.

You could do alot worse than Webber as a backup PF.  I'm trying to think of teams that could use him as a starting PF.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
IMO it will hurt Philly's chances of making the playoffs more if Webber remained with the team.  Webber is either done or he was deliberately dogging it with the Sixers.  You'd think he'd still be a contributing player, but he just isn't competing effectively.  I can't think of a good team that would think they'd be better of with Webber on their team!

Frankly, I'm not too worried about them making the playoffs this year. The only decent first round pick they have is their own, and that's more important for the future than an early playoff out this season.

Philly is clearing up a lot of cap space very quickly, which makes them a potential player in the free agent market.  They are now 2 players under the roster limit with CWebb gone.

With Brown back with the Sixers, you just know that they have all types of different ideas and scenarios to try and figure out how to get the franchise back on track. Brown is crazy and very volatile- changing his mind on players very quickly.  It's not clear if the team of Cheeks, King and Brown will be effective, or how quickly they'll be able to bring results, but it is clear that they've cleaned the deck and are stageing for a rebuilding process.

The problem now is they have to wait to see which pick they get to decide who they should really pursue in free agency.

When your basketball team sucks, change is good, but is it really a change?  The only thing different is that Iverson is gone.

IMO, the Sixers failed to build a team that AI could get to the championship. Getting rid of him, was saying that they didn't think they could win with him, or at least not in a time frame that suited AI.  No matter how they spin it, they failed to finish what they started when they got to the finals the first time.  Everyone involved with the Sixers now was there with AI back then. Once that original team started getting old, they couldn't find other players who could step in and contribute at the same level. 

Not only didn't the Sixers get back, but they regressed, even as AI was becoming a better player.  So far that's King's legacy- every success he had was with AI here, and everything since has been a decision made by Billy and/or Larry. Maybe they will do better without having to try to find a way to deal with a unique talent like AI.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
IMO it will hurt Philly's chances of making the playoffs more if Webber remained with the team.  Webber is either done or he was deliberately dogging it with the Sixers.  You'd think he'd still be a contributing player, but he just isn't competing effectively.  I can't think of a good team that would think they'd be better of with Webber on their team!

This is a valid point. Webber certainly gets more motivated when on a good team, and I can see him not trying as hard for the Sixers, especially after Iverson was traded. He will wind up on a contender somewhere, believe me, on a team with a good nucleus already.

At the heart of Chris is a very real desire to win a championship, so hello Miami Heat/Lakers/Spurs/ or Mavs. If he wants to play the patient guy, and he might, he should go talk to Cleveland, or maybe the Bulls.

He might even call up Petrie, but that would be a stretch for the Kings at this time. 

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
...Heat/Lakers/Spurs/ or Mavs....

Anybody remember that elementary school logic problem?  One of these DOESN'T belong.....
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16566982/

Just in case you all missed it, Mike "I can really be stupid sometimes" Ventre wrote this entirely ridiculous article linked above suggesting the only man more cancerous than Ron Artest (I 1,000,000,000 agree with msc on that one), Chris Webber, should attempt to rehabilitate his rep and legacy with the Lakers. 2 points on this moronic suggestion.

1) How stupid is Ventre to think this leopard can change his spots? He's worse than Artest when it comes to being the most committed whinedog in the NBA, and you put him and Kobe on the same team you might as well charge one of them for murder now and save time.

2) What "legacy" does he have to salvage? The legacy of being the biggest woman crybaby punk sissy girl to ever step on the court? The legacy of being a world class cancer? The legacy of being a choke artist supreme? the legacy of taking a lot of raw talent and wasting it like it was so much water down a drain? What lagacy could he possibly be talking about? If Ventre made one valid point it was that Webber's poison had to be pretty bad for Philly to say "Here's your money, now please just go away".

I have said it before and I will say it again, when it comes to sports, life will be alright with me if Iverson, Terrel Owens, Barry Bonds, and Crybaby Webber NEVER EVER GET A RING, even better if they get to the championship and watch it slip away before their very eyes, so far, the only one left to have that insult heaped on him is Webber.
Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
...even better if they get to the championship and watch it slip away before their very eyes, so far, the only one left to have that insult heaped on him is Webber.

Only if you don't count the NCAA title.....you know, the one where not only did he get to watch it slip away.  He contributed the biggest bonehead move in NCAA tournament history to give it away.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Touche' Lurker, I forgot about that
Dan