Author Topic: Madonna at the Grammys...  (Read 3187 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Madonna at the Grammys...
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 08:11:09 PM »
Has anybody here ever heard of Thievery Corporation? You want to talk about a group that is all over the map genre' wise! These cats, 2 DJ's from D.C. are unbelievably talented, they put together an ensemble band for every project, sort of like Alan Parsons did in the 70's. The music ranges from reggae, jazz, east indian, middle eastern, to bossanova pop, sung in anything from english to spanish, french, or farsi. If you've never taken a listen, I highly recommend it.
I haven't heard of Thievery Corporation, but if you live in Pasadena, and like bands that fuse a plethora of genres, you should check out a local band called "The Big Pill" (named after a Parliament lyric, "the bigger the headache, the bigger the pill").  The band consists of a singing drummer, guitar, bass, dj, horn section (trumpet, trombone & tenor sax) and percussionist.  They fuse rock, blues, reggae, funk, jazz, metal, r&b and hip-hop.  They don't have the world music aspect of the band you mentioned, but they bring it.  They play regularly (I think every other Monday) at the Olde Towne Pub.

To stay on subject, yes Madonna was, is and always will be a skank.  But its one thing to be a 20-year old skank, it's just downright pathetic to be a 40-something skank.  

There are tons of good bands out there today, but you won't find many at the Grammy Awards.  

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip MSC, I will have to check them out, Old Town Pub is a great place to down a couple beers so that's a bonus, I used to work just across the street from there back in the early 80's before the renovation of Pasadena Old Town, haven't been in there in years (I go to Crown City Brewery when I can, hmmm, Black and Tan).
Dan

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 11:02:21 AM »
I haven't heard of Thievery Corporation, but if you live in Pasadena, and like bands that fuse a plethora of genres, you should check out a local band called "The Big Pill" (named after a Parliament lyric, "the bigger the headache, the bigger the pill"). The band consists of a singing drummer, guitar, bass, dj, horn section (trumpet, trombone & tenor sax) and percussionist. They fuse rock, blues, reggae, funk, jazz, metal, r&b and hip-hop. They don't have the world music aspect of the band you mentioned, but they bring it. They play regularly (I think every other Monday) at the Olde Towne Pub.

Actually msc, the description of this group sounds a lot like one I know called: Cowboy Mouth, singing drummer and all.  Ever heard of them?

Giv me the bad boys from Pasadena (Van Halen) any day over these clowns.

Wow, LF, you sound like my friend Jim Struglia--probably the biggest Van Halen fan I ever witnessed.  Check that, probably the single biggest fan of a single group I've ever witnessed.  I mean the guy stuck with them through the Gary Cherone years, yeah...

Has anybody here ever heard of Thievery Corporation?

Middle-eastern?!  Gotta check these guys out.  

Right now I'm really into self-loathing, pseudo-metal rock:  Stain'd, Breaking Benjamin, Audioslave and Puddle of Mudd.  Alongside my steady diet of System of a Down and Rage Against the Machine.

Can you tell I live in the Midwest.  B)  

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 02:05:26 PM »
Actually msc, the description of this group sounds a lot like one I know called: Cowboy Mouth, singing drummer and all.  Ever heard of them?
Cowboy Mouth is good, real good. They come out to Utah at least once a year. I don't know too many people that know of them.

Have you ever listened to Nickel Creek. They're not bad either. Different style than Cowboy, but I like them.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 03:36:56 PM »
Actually haven't heard of Nickel Creek....I got to go to one Cowboy Mouth show a year or so ago, at The Blue Note (a club) and it was a great show.  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 06:51:26 PM »
My tastes in music, as I have spelled out here before, are very diverse. They range from my roots, which are Motown, 60’s Rock & Roll (The Doors, Cream, Hendrix, The Beatles, The Animals, Traffic, etc) Metal (Zeppelin, Van Halen, Ritchie Blackmore, Krokus, Scorpions, etc) Jazz, (Jean Luc Ponte, Earl Klugh, the late Grover Washington Jr., the Laws family, Wynton Marsalis, Thelonius Monk, etc.), Big band and Swing (too many to list), REAL old school funk (Parliament, The Brothers Johnson, Bootsy Collins, Brides of Funkenstein, Barkays, Brass Construction, Fatback, etc.), Country Rock (Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker Band, Pure Prairie League, Creedance etc), and an awful lot of the modern music that this music inspired. I love the Cranberries, Dashboard Confessional, Verve Pipe, Cult, Cure, Cars, and all kinds of stuff. I even like some Bluegrass, the soundtrack to O’ Brother Where Art Thou? is simply  a masterpiece.

But my first love is the Blues. Blues was born of black inspired slave day gospel and speaks to the soul like no other music ever has. From the blues every genre’ of music I just mention and then some was born of the blues, and in its purest form it is the best music I have ever heard, I have been in little blues bars all over the country and it is always the same, full of soul like nothing else. My absolute favorite is the late great Stevie Ray Vaughan, no one else comes close IMO. Even artists like Buddy Guy, Albert King, Lonnie Mack, BB King, acknowledge that he was the best. He died waaaay too young. I also dig John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson, Koko Taylor, Willie Dixon, Lightnin’ Hopkins, Hound Dog Taylor, Lead Belly, and cats like that, John Mayal is pretty awesome too.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 06:52:01 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

guest-koast

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 07:41:38 PM »
"REAL old school funk (Parliament, The Brothers Johnson, Bootsy Collins, Brides of Funkenstein, Barkays, Brass Construction, Fatback, etc."

Thats WHAT I am talking about!!

I grew up listening to funk and did not know up until a little while ago that under all the funny costumes, funny lyrics, and party music were alot of political messages.  It wasnt until I went and bought this Parliment double disc that had a book insert explaining what certain songs meant that I found out.

LF if you love Blues, Jam bands, and more grassroots music I suggest you get yourself XM radio.  I think you will start to enjoy the radio again if you get one.  They have some really good blues and jazz stations that play nonstop 24/7.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 07:47:31 PM »
I have seriously thought about XM radio for precisely that  reason, in the meantime I listen to Live365.com, pretty good blues stations on there.
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 12:24:24 PM »
SRV was truly gifted. Heard that his older brother's band used to let the kid sit in with them. Thought he was a pain in the butt, but then it turns out he was the one who left the legacy. He also is one of my favorites.

Crosby, Stills, Nash (and on occasion Young) were also, and still are, producers of some of the best harmony I have heard.

I wish there were some new sounds that could generate the same moods I get from listening to the older stuff, but I suppose that is unlikely now.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."