Author Topic: Madonna at the Grammys...  (Read 3189 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Madonna at the Grammys...
« on: February 10, 2006, 12:38:22 PM »
I don't watch the Grammys and this year was no exception. So it came as something of a surprise when I kept hearing that Madonna's opening segment included a dance number that had some backup dancers in Mike Bibby and Brad Miller jerseys. This, I had a hard time believing. With guys like Kobe and LeBron and even Shaq still filling the NBA news wires nigthly with their exploits, let alone every other all star this year, plus a ton of others who deserved to be there but won't be, why would two King's players have their jerseys in plain view in a Madonna dance number?

So I found a link to see it and sure enough, there they were.

http://music.yahoo.com/

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 01:25:58 PM »
I don't want to rain on your parade like people care about the Kings outside of the farm lands....

but it had to do with the Kings jersey colors.

When you think about the Cavs and Lakers colors they are not exactly fashion friendly.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 02:44:51 PM »
I don't want to rain on your parade like people care about the Kings outside of the farm lands....

When you think about the Cavs and Lakers colors they are not exactly fashion friendly.
That seems unlikely.

And there is no parade to rain on. I just found it a bit odd they would chose those particular jerseys. They could have included ones from different teams, after all.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 03:00:48 PM »

That seems unlikely.

And there is no parade to rain on. I just found it a bit odd they would chose those particular jerseys. They could have included ones from different teams, after all.
I actually think the Kings have better looking jerseys than most of the other players in the league.  

And I kinda dissed myself saying no one outside of the farm lands cares about the Kings.  I live at the beach and care.  I am dissing myself now!

Was it me or did Madonna look pretty bad?  Her age is finally catching up to her.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 03:17:30 PM »
Was it me or did Madonna look pretty bad?  Her age is finally catching up to her.
I'm not real sure that she ever looked good.   :rofl:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 03:41:51 PM »
Was it me or did Madonna look pretty bad?  Her age is finally catching up to her.
Yeah, which version of 'Madonna' are you comparing her to?

Then again, most of these female pop singers are all starting to look and sound about the same to me. Guess I am getting old, but I used to be able to tell the difference between singers.

Now, no way.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 04:27:12 PM »
Was it me or did Madonna look pretty bad?  Her age is finally catching up to her.

Then again, most of these female pop singers are all starting to look and sound about the same to me. Guess I am getting old, but I used to be able to tell the difference between singers.

Now, no way.
The non-man looking Madonna :laugh:

You use to tell the difference between singers because you actually use to have talent and personality to become a singer.  Now you have a writing team, a vocal coach, a designer, etc etc etc

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 05:47:25 PM »

Now, no way.
The non-man looking Madonna :laugh:

You use to tell the difference between singers because you actually use to have talent and personality to become a singer.  Now you have a writing team, a vocal coach, a designer, etc etc etc
Don't forget the synthesizers to blend that "unique" sound so they can sound exactly alike. The no-talent comes from none of these bozos ever learning to play their own instruments or write their own music. It is all for VH-1 video imagery and it is boring as hell.  

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 06:05:59 PM »
Touche' Lurker, when did she EVER look like anything other than a skank? :eek2:  
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 06:13:31 PM »
Touche' Lurker, when did she EVER look like anything other than a skank? :eek2:
I wonder if it is true that she blew her way to the top?

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 06:14:44 PM »
Yes JoMal we are getting old, you quite a bit more than me though.

I agree, music has become a joke, very few "artists" worth the time it took to drag them out of the 'hood and "package the merchandise". Giv me the bad boys from Pasadena (Van Halen) any day over these clowns.

Or if we are talking female singers, Linda Ronstadt, Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders, Anne and Nancy Wilson of Heart, Jewel, and others like that, you know, girls who can sing, write songs, and play instruments.

Of course, give me Pink Floyd or some good old hardcore Blues anyday.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 06:15:33 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 06:30:24 PM »

I agree, music has become a joke, very few "artists" worth the time it took to drag them out of the 'hood and "package the merchandise". Giv me the bad boys from Pasadena (Van Halen) any day over these clowns.

Or if we are talking female singers, Linda Ronstadt, Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders, Anne and Nancy Wilson of Heart, Jewel, and others like that, you know, girls who can sing, write songs, and play instruments.

You don't have to go that far back.  You guys are dating yourself with this LOL  Van Halen and Heart LF?!?!  Jeeeeeezzz.  I know I am the youngest on this board but jeeeeeeeeezzzzzzz.

Alicia Keys writes her own music and plays her own instruments

Kanye West, whether you hate em or love him is a very talented composer and drummer.

Kings Of Leon are a great band with alot of talent

The Roots, hip hop group, play ALL the music live on their instruments when they perform and record.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 06:30:42 PM by westkoast »

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 06:57:35 PM »
There are plenty of new bands that are very talented 'Koast, but the majority of it anymore is just a a packaged commercial formula designed to excite the mass produced crowd of kids you can find hanging out at any shopping mall or the wannbe little rooty poots that wanna act all gangsta at night and go home to thier upper middle class parents when the going gets tough, it's all so intitutionalized these days.

I happen to really like Alicia Keys, incredibly talented, wonderful piano player, I dig India.Arie and Nora Jones, but they fit my previous mentioned criteria, most don't.

Has anybody here ever heard of Thievery Corporation? You want to talk about a group that is all over the map genre' wise! These cats, 2 DJ's from D.C. are unbelievably talented, they put together an ensemble band for every project, sort of like Alan Parsons did in the 70's. The music ranges from reggae, jazz, east indian, middle eastern, to bossanova pop, sung in anything from english to spanish, french, or farsi. If you've never taken a listen, I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 06:58:05 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 07:30:48 PM »
There are plenty of new bands that are very talented 'Koast, but the majority of it anymore is just a a packaged commercial formula designed to excite the mass produced crowd of kids you can find hanging out at any shopping mall or the wannbe little rooty poots that wanna act all gangsta at night and go home to thier upper middle class parents when the going gets tough, it's all so intitutionalized these days.

I happen to really like Alicia Keys, incredibly talented, wonderful piano player, I dig India.Arie and Nora Jones, but they fit my previous mentioned criteria, most don't.

Has anybody here ever heard of Thievery Corporation? You want to talk about a group that is all over the map genre' wise! These cats, 2 DJ's from D.C. are unbelievably talented, they put together an ensemble band for every project, sort of like Alan Parsons did in the 70's. The music ranges from reggae, jazz, east indian, middle eastern, to bossanova pop, sung in anything from english to spanish, french, or farsi. If you've never taken a listen, I highly recommend it.
I don't disagree at all.  Rock music and hip hop are my two favorite genres of music but its so watered down its sickening.  Everyone is a super baller or a whiny rocker.   I am a DJ (at least when I have the freetime to do it work permitting) so  of course I do have to play that music depending on where I am DJing that night.  Comes with the job of making the girls dance at the club hehe.   Often I get frustrated when people come up and ask

'Do you have Britney Spears Toxic'

'NO'

'Well if you want to be a good DJ you need that record'

That is usually followed up with a very P-O'd Koast saying...

"This is vinyl, I pay for these records.  I don't go on napster and download songs to burn to a CD.  I work a job 5 days a week in order to have extra money to PURCHASE these records.  I don't listen to Britney so I am not buying Britney!'

I am going to check out Thievery Corporation sounds like some great music.  One thing that is severly missing right now in all newer music is innovation and expermientation.  No one wants to experiment in fear of not getting spins on KISS FM and MTV.  That is how you end up with the same cookie cutter formula 10000 other people just used.  Sounds like these guys are the exact opposite and thats what I would like to hear.  I feel bad for my younger brothers because it seems like this younger generation doesn't have The Doors, the Beatles, The Nirvana's,  The Jimi Hendrix, the KRS-One's....they have 10,000 guys who make identical crap music.  Who is going to pass down music from Pink to their children?!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 07:32:19 PM by westkoast »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 07:35:50 PM »

Okay, I admit I have a preference for the same type of music as you, Dan, though I have always liked Gwen Stefani as well.

Lately, I have been listening to Peter Frampton's, live in Detroit album and I can't get enough of it. Plus Santana's greatest hits album and Earth, Wind, and Fire. Just listening to the arrangements are such a pleasure compared to.......pick an American Idol dretch, any one.

I also love good blues and we visited some jazz clubs in Europe when there, including one in Budapest that was just like an old time Speakeasy. Nothing like listening to Gershwin in the original Hungarian was quite a treat.