Author Topic: Best record = title?  (Read 6131 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Best record = title?
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2005, 12:39:25 PM »
I still don't know how Kareem, a native New Yorker, ended up a Laker, my guess is Bruin pride.  

Turn up your hearing aid and adjust your bifocals.

Good old Lew Alcindor wanted a more religious friendly atmosphere for his new found name and alternative lifestyle.  Where else but L.A.?

Way to pick up the phone and say "yes".  Brilliant GMing.

How about that Gail Goodrich to the Jazz who then go out of business?  For #1 pick Magic along with 2 more #1s!!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Best record = title?
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2005, 01:08:58 PM »
I still don't know how Kareem, a native New Yorker, ended up a Laker, my guess is Bruin pride. 

Good old Lew Alcindor wanted a more religious friendly atmosphere for his new found name and alternative lifestyle.  Where else but L.A.?

How about that Gail Goodrich to the Jazz who then go out of business?  For #1 pick Magic along with 2 more #1s!!
Reality,

No duh, the question was regarding NY vs L.A.  Both where places Kareem wanted to go because of thier progressive thinking.   The question was why L.A. over NY.

Please stay on the shallow side of the pool, both JoMal and myself own floatation devices that allow us to wade in the deep end.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Best record = title?
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2005, 01:13:20 PM »

Reality,

No duh, the question was regarding NY vs L.A.  Both where places Kareem wanted to go because of thier progressive thinking.   The question was why L.A. over NY.

Please stay on the shallow side of the pool, both JoMal and myself own floatation devices that allow us to wade in the deep end.
Still waiting for that brilliant GMing actions on acquiring Kareem and Magic.

From the deep end.
It should be deep indeed.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Best record = title?
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2005, 02:16:03 PM »
Still waiting for that brilliant GMing actions on acquiring Kareem and Magic.
I guess you've missed the entire point of our exchange.  :rolleyes:  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Best record = title?
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2005, 02:37:07 PM »
I don't know where you get the Jacobson and Williams comparisson.  The point was the Kings passing up Pierce and Dirk.  Keep in mind Jacobson was a late round pick, 25 or 26, so don't try and compare that pick with the blown 7th (LOTTERY).  Mike Bibby was an excellent salvage job by the Kings IMO.

WOW, IF this discussion was about the choices the Kings made drafting bums prior to Petrie we could drown every other member of this board in our gene pools.

But the, er, subject of the Laker GM never making a drafting mistake lends this discussion more depth, believe me. Since you did bring it up, though, let me tell you something else about how Sacramento was perceived back in those dark, dark days of the late 80's and early 90's. Lottery draft picks, which we routinely had access to during those years, would be judged on whether or not our management team could convince them to actually sign with the Kings. They often had to pass on good players who flat out told them they would not come to Sacramento. Others, like Billy Owens, got traded away immediately because of the same thing.

Think about that before berating the Kings for who they were drafting back then and compare it to whether the Lakers ever had to make that assessment in their entire history.

I knew Brian Grant would come up.  Grant was smoozed by LA but his asking price was way too high.  Ironic we ended up with that guy and his contract, but that's Buss and Kupchack's doings, I don't even try defending the indefensable.

It had to be said, WOW.

I don't understand how you put Chamberlin into the scenario as Kareem.  I still don't know how Kareem, a native New Yorker, ended up a Laker, my guess is Bruin pride.

To this day, I would take Wilt Champerlain over any center who ever played, but I do not know the reason why Philadelphia traded him to the Lakers.  Maybe dabods or rick could elaborate. But clearly Jabber let it be known he was going to be either a Laker or a Knick. My guess is that the Laker offer to the Bucks was preferable, though a gander at those players really makes me wonder what the heck the Knicks were offering, if anything.

Lynch?  Are you kidding, I'd still pick him over those guys.  If it wasn't for all the money the Lakers had to pay Shaq he'd still be a Laker.  L.A. loves Tar Heels. By the way who had the 7th (LOTTERY) pick that year?  As far a Nick the Quick was concerned, nobody wanted the guy because of the legal problems he was having. I think he beat up his girlfriend or something.

Yeah, we had the 7th pick. See above. True, we probably could have gotten Lynch, for instance, but why fight fate. He was just destined to be a Laker. That particular year was rather weak, but Van Exel surely was more worthy in the long term as a first rounder then Lynch turned out to be. Lynch is an okay player, but Nick the Quick was a killer.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Best record = title?
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2005, 02:50:49 PM »
All this talk about whether or not the Laker are a dynasty is ridiculous.  I agree a dynasty is not winning three championships in a row.  Nor is it necessarily about winning 5 in 10 years or 6 in 8 years especially if you essentially have the same core.  The Lakers are a dynasty because one team (Boston who hasn't won in 19 yrs and haven't been in the finals in 18yrs.) has won more championships.  The Lakers have won the championship in the 1940's, 1950's, 1970's, 1980's, 2000's, no other team has done that. By the way, since 1968, the first year this award was given, there has been 6 different Lakers to win finals MVP.  The Lakers have appeared in a finals in 1940's, 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's 1990's & 2000's, no other team has done that.  

The bottom line is it doesn't matter why players come to LA.  The truth of the matter is that the Lakers do an excellent job of rebuilding.  The Lakers are a dynasty because they have won more consistently and over a greater span of time than any other team in the history of professional sports, expect for the NY Yankees.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Best record = title?
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2005, 08:24:22 AM »
So the discussion ends with no meaningful Laker input (to put it mildly) on best record or 2-3-2,  instead changing the subject to fairy tales on how all their stars were brilliantly GMed to the squad, giving non answers to basic questions and lastly W.O.W. trying to lure Jomal to the deep end of a swimming pool.  Alone.  While wearing a floatation device.  It's a visual I'm not going to dwell on.

Lets watch that playoffs.
I've got the t.v. warmed up.
W.O.W I'll have an easychair with waiting that you are welcome to sit in.  Alone.  Or with Mrs. Wow.  No one else.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 10:52:26 AM by Reality »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Best record = title?
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2005, 12:09:08 PM »
Whoa, whoa, WHOA!

Who is bad-mouthing the pick of George Lynch?  This guy was a solid guy for the Lakers when he came on board there.  He's *STILL* around in the league, and is still a valuable contributor.  

The Lakers should be credited for TAKING Lynch - an undersized college power-forward who had to make the transition to professional small-forward.  That's not an easy move to make.  The NBA is littered with failed "tweener" picks.  Lynch, however, was reasonably successful - especially during his stint with Los Angeles.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Best record = title?
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2005, 09:49:11 AM »
Well the fact that since it changed to that 2-3-2 format there has only been 1 time when the team the with best record lost those three away games shows they (the team with the best record) aren't at much of a dissadvantage by playing those 3 games on the road.  By the way, the Lakers are the only team to lose those 3 games on the road.

Best record = title?
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2005, 09:55:46 AM »
by the way don't MLB use the same format 2-3-2 for the World Series?  Maybe they should do what the NHL doesm, for earlier playoff rounds, and give teams the opportunity to chose.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Best record = title?
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2005, 10:52:02 AM »
Whoa, whoa, WHOA!

Who is bad-mouthing the pick of George Lynch?  This guy was a solid guy for the Lakers when he came on board there.  He's *STILL* around in the league, and is still a valuable contributor.  

The Lakers should be credited for TAKING Lynch - an undersized college power-forward who had to make the transition to professional small-forward.  That's not an easy move to make.  The NBA is littered with failed "tweener" picks.  Lynch, however, was reasonably successful - especially during his stint with Los Angeles.
No one said he was a bad pick, but his choice over Van Exel, for one, was noteworthy. While Lynch's career has been solid, he is hardly outstanding, even at times. Van Exel, meanwhile, is a true pain in the butt to coach and has been traded more then once because of his bad attitude. But his name comes up much more often then Lynch's for winning games for his team by either scoring at will or hitting gamewinners.

I guess the point of basketball just got the better of me when judging the players.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."