Author Topic: Artest to become a Laker?  (Read 3197 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Artest to become a Laker?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 06:24:48 PM »
what will end up happening is they will trade Artest along with one of their bad contracts to make the salaries work
<cough> Croshere <cough>  

If only Croshere could play against the Lakers in every game, he'd be an all-star.  It seems like that can be said for a lot of NBA journeymen over the years ... doesn't it?
I wouldnt consider Croshere a journeymen because I believe hes played all (if not most) of his career on the Pacers.  He was a real solid player back when the Pacers went to the finals in 2001.  

Artest and Croshere for who though?  No one has a site that lists everyones salary?  I thought Ziggy had one a while ago.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 07:41:53 PM »
what will end up happening is they will trade Artest along with one of their bad contracts to make the salaries work
<cough> Croshere <cough>  

If only Croshere could play against the Lakers in every game, he'd be an all-star.  It seems like that can be said for a lot of NBA journeymen over the years ... doesn't it?
I wouldnt consider Croshere a journeymen because I believe hes played all (if not most) of his career on the Pacers.  He was a real solid player back when the Pacers went to the finals in 2001.  

Artest and Croshere for who though?  No one has a site that lists everyones salary?  I thought Ziggy had one a while ago.
Journeyman was the wrong choice in words, at least with Croshere.  I'm just thinking of guys that have been around the league a long time who are relatively average NBA players who seem to have career nights against the Lakers.  Sam Mitchell comes to mind off the top my head ...

Anyway, I googled NBA salaries and quite a few pages came up.  Here's a link from Insidehoops.com.  

http://www.dfw.net/%7Epatricia/contracts

Croshere makes $51 mil over 7 years thru 2007, so roughly $7.3/yr.  Couple that with Artests $6mil and I would think Indiana would have some options in terms of getting a player close to equal value in return.  Besides the difficulty of matching the salaries within 20% or whatever it is ... I still think Indiana is going to get jammed because everyone knows they have to get rid of Artest at this point.  

Even if Artest didn't publicly ask for a trade, everyone knows he is damaged goods.  As a result, who's to say that $6mil isn't market value?  Knowing what the entire market knows, which is that this guy has single-handedly sabotaged at least two seasons for the Indiana Pacers, I'm not sure his market value isn't $6mil or maybe less.  Who’s to say that a couple of roll players aren’t fair value for Artest?  The market is the market.  Of course there’s always Danny Ainge, Isiah Thomas or Donald Sterling to go and do something stupid, but for the most part the market should dictate what this moron is really worth.

As a Laker fan, I've been going back and forth on this for weeks now.  Artest would provide us with two extremely valuable pieces to our team’s puzzle.  1)  A consistent second scorer and 2)  Excellent defense to bolster an already improved defensive team.   If Artest can come in and play nice, the Lakers could easily become the 2nd or 3rd best team in a wide open Western Conference behind SA.  As a fan, dang, that is enticing.  But the guy is such a loose cannon, that I know it could very easily go the other way and destroy what little team chemistry we've started to develop this season.  I literally change my opinion game to game on this question of would I want Artest on the Lakers (I usually want him after a loss, and don’t after a win … go figure?).  At the end of the day, what do the Lakers have to lose?  It's not like they're going to win, or even compete for a championship with their current roster.  One thing I wouldn't do is include Bynum in the trade.  Even though I think the odds of him becoming a dominant big man are probably less than 20%.  Just the possibility is enough to keep him around for a while as good big men, especially centers, are hard to come by in the NBA.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 10:21:46 PM »
1) I can't believe the Lakers have ANYTHING to trade for Artest.  George is a decent role player but he isn't, IMO, the best that the Pacers can do.  Bynum would be an intriguing pick up for the Pacers who would LOVE to have a center who can block shots in addition to rebounding (any points are bonus).  But I STILL think the Pacers can get better value than anything the Lakers have to offer.

2) I think all this is simply hoopla because it's LA -- I don't think these rumors have much weight at all, IMO.  They just don't make sense for Indy.

3) As a Laker fan, I DON'T want Artest -- the ONLY way I would take Artest is if we could dump Kwame, Medvendenko or George.  And WHY would the Pacers want these guys since the Lakers don't?

Actually, I'd be checking to see a couple of things, if I were Indy:

1) Maggette from the Clips?

2) Ben Gordon from Chicago?

3) Anderson from New Orleans? (sliding JO back to center)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 02:10:48 PM »
Even with Artest the best the Lakers can hope for is 4th best in the West.  Artest is not enough to push the Lakers past Dallas, Suns and Spurs.

I'd welcome Artest until the first time he f's up.  Then he's done for the season.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 06:01:52 PM »
I'd welcome Artest until the first time he f's up.  Then he's done for the season.
You'd welcome Artest to the Lakers to do what, then? He is bi-polar. There is no "maybe" about any new situation working out better for him.  So you would shelve him for the rest of the season after he blows up again and you will apologize for him and the mess he causes before the start of next year?

When does anybody have the balls to just say no to jerks like Terrell Owens and Ron Artest, and to honestly say they like their teams better without these psyched-out headcases destroying their franchises instead.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 06:55:18 PM »
Rumor has it that he is going to the Clips for Corey Maggette.  I would have tried again for Peja -- his outside shooting could help the Pacers move to the top of the EC again.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 07:17:44 PM »
Rumor has it that he is going to the Clips for Corey Maggette.  I would have tried again for Peja -- his outside shooting could help the Pacers move to the top of the EC again.
While Peja is looking more and more like a drifting soul without either Webber or Vlade to steer him through his NBA game, I doubt the Pacers are very interested in him any more. The Indiana GM has stated publically that he has been in touch with several western conference GM's about a trade involving Artest, but Sacramento is not one of them. So much for any chance of that happening, at least yet.

Peja is surprisingly lacking in any leadership qualities whatsoever. Combined with Brad "the Lad" Miller, and "This is my team, if it is okay, like with you guys, but it doesn't have to be, you know. Okay we can share it" Mike Bibby, the Kings have no one who spends any quality time on the court during games who has any instinct for avoiding annihilation nightly.

So maybe we trade Peja..why not, as he has been a huge disappointment left on his own to create his career out of the shadows of his former teammates. But we need a guy who can actually kick some butt and back it up on the court. While Artest certainly likes to kick butt, he may find the fans at Arco a bit reluctant to sit there and take it from him.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 07:18:31 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 07:21:45 PM »
"This is my team, if it is okay, like with you guys, but it doesn't have to be, you know. Okay we can share it" Mike Bibby"

:rofl:  :rofl:

Personally I thought it would be good for Indiana to grab a shooter for O'Neal and good for Sac (at least until he forgot to take his medication) to get a solid, intimidating defender.

Artest, if he goes to the Clippers, will be there very very shortly for a few reasons.....

1) He is going to want a huge contract when this crap deal is over with and Donald will not pay it

2) He is a ticking time bomb

3) Magic Johnson runs LA and he took a cheap shot at him and his wife  :up:  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com