Author Topic: OT: So Philly, how's that Owens thing working out?  (Read 5761 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
OT: So Philly, how's that Owens thing working out?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2005, 08:35:40 PM »
but I think there is a BIG difference when you start coming out knocking your coach and management -- Shaq and Kobe didn't do that.

I actually go the exact opposite way.

I took problems with his comments on McNabb (btw, I don't think he ever really had a problem with McNabb, just the quarterback, who happens to get more recognition and money).  I don't care what he said about the FO and organization.  He's frustrated.  I've said bad things about my job before.  It's natural.  You have to know better than to do it in front of a national audience, but it's a natural thing to do.

I care much more about his McNabb comments and altercations with Douglas than I do FO comments

(BTW, I know a WR on the practice squad, and he said TO was a fabulous teammate, constantly helping him whenever need it.  I do NOT believe this man's satan, just that he's an attention seeking, egotistical guy).

Steve Young said something in the preseason that I now get wholeheartedly.  He said that TO's a great teammate, until he feels disrespected.  And he feels disrespected easily.  And once he feels disrespected, it's almost impossible to save the situation.

Last year Donovan said "we can win the superbowl without TO".  And in TO's weird way, he took that as Donovan saying that the team doesn't need TO.  Then, Donovan doesn't stand up for TO in his contract dispute at all, meanwhile he says that the FO needs to pay Brian Westbrook.  Again, TO feels disrespected.  With the contract dispute, TO wasn't demanding ludicrous money.  But the way his contract was structured, there was a good probability he would be cut this year to save a roster bonus.  TO came out and said that if they would restructure it in a way that would guarantee future years, he'd have no problem with his current contract.  But the FO's stance was to not even discuss contracts.  Disrespected (rightfully or wrongfully).

TO obviously made egregious mistakes (taking contract dispute public, criticism of the FO and Donovan, relations with the coaching staff), but he's not the only one.  the front office and donovan made mistakes as well.

As for Donovan, he's been getting a lot of praise for being a leader and for taking the high road and not going public against TO.  Bunk.  Donovan never led for a second in this situation.  Just because he didn't say anything publicly also doesn't mean he was the better man in their fued.  At training camp, Donovan never went to TO to talk.  And whlie the press was all over TO for not talking to his quarterback, Donovan never went to TO to talk either.  When TO felt "criticized" by McNabb, he went to the media rather than work things out.  On the flip side, when McNabb felt criticized by TO, he became an introvert.  Neither solved jack on their problems.  In fact, Donovan's brother (or cousin) was the one who tried to be a mediator and call TO, Donovan never made an attempt.  That's not a leader.  And Donovan's every bit as sensitive as TO.  This was grade school from both sides.

As for the FO, whenever they feel challenged, they cut off talks.  They get a vendetta.  It shouldn't be hard to think of examples.  Hugh Douglas, Jeremiah Trotter, Corey Simon, Bobby Taylor.  Even upstanding citizen Troy Vincent had contract negotiations cut off because he became critical.  They don't just not cave in to contract disputes, they end disucssions.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 05:09:06 AM by dbodner »

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2005, 10:36:42 AM »
Derek, I agree with quite a bit of what you had to say.  Especially about Joe "Hold That Bottom Line" Banner and the Eagles tactics.  I think they want to continue living in the past when it was okay to get away with NOT paying your football player, run him into the ground for 3-4 years, then draft a young kid to do it all over again.  In fact this is prevalent all over the NFL.  The only position it doesn't really work with is QB, so teams will bite the bullet and make sure he's happy.

Jerome James makes 6 million dollars a year, guaranteed

Willis McGahee makes $350,000 a year, not guaranteed

Mike Dunleavy Jr. makes 9 million dollars a year, guaranteed

Javon Walker makes $330,000 a year, not guaranteed

Here's the system:

1) Draft a top prospect
2) give him jack diddly of a rookie contract (especially if he isn't a first rounder)
3) When he asks for his payday after 3-4 years of productive work, piss on him.
4) If he leaves or (even better) gets injured, you're now a bad team with a chance at a top prospect

Repeat steps 1-4 ad nauseam.  

And the NFL is rife with examples:
-Seahawks - Shawn Alexander
-Packers    - Javon Walker
-Jaguars    - Donovan Darius
-Ravens    - Jamal Lewis

TO's situation is totally different in that he had just signed a big contract the year before.  BUT he wasn't one of the top 5-10 (can't remember which) paid recievers, even though everyone knew he was at worst a top 2 receiver.  TO's a jackass for accepting in the first place, the Eagles are jackasses for not giving an inch or trying to compromise.

One thing I have a question about, Derek you said:

On the flip side, when McNabb felt criticized by TO, he became an introvert. Neither solved jack on their problems. In fact, Donovan's brother (or cousin) was the one who tried to be a mediator and call TO, Donovan never made an attempt. That's not a leader. And Donovan's every bit as sensitive as TO. This was grade school from both sides.

Didn't Donovan invite Terrell to some camp in Arizona to sort of work out together, work some problems out and was essentially ignored?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 10:38:01 AM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2005, 10:44:03 AM »
Didn't Donovan invite Terrell to some camp in Arizona to sort of work out together, work some problems out and was essentially ignored?

That was before TO made the "I didn't get tired in the superbowl" remark, I believe.  Then during training camp Donovan wouldn't even speak to TO, much like TO wouldn't speak to Donovan.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 10:44:57 AM by dbodner »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2005, 12:24:27 AM »
BTw, this is just an interesting twist, many Eagles are coming out saying they would welcome TO back with open arms.  Fellow receiver Greg Lewis even came right out and says he considers owens a dear friend.

Not.The.Devil.

And much blame to go around.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 12:27:55 AM by dbodner »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2005, 05:24:13 PM »
Micheal Irv  was on Jimmy Kimmel 2 nights ago and Jimmy was giving him a hardtime about this mess being his fault, of course he didnt mean it but it was funny nonetheless.  Mike said that he feels TO is getting more heat than he deserves and that the infamous clip they show of TO saying he agrees that they would do very well with Brett Favre fails to continuet o show the next part where TO says he feels they would do very well if McNabb was not injured.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 05:24:29 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2005, 05:39:17 PM »
What, the media took someone out of context?  No, they couldn't have.

He was actually very much pro-mcnabb in the full text of the interview.