Author Topic: Top centers of all time (again)  (Read 1397 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Top centers of all time (again)
« on: February 22, 2005, 11:03:03 AM »
So I'm handing some New Yorker his arse at a poker tournament on Sat when he's starts crying about my Laker gear.  Not a smart move, b-ball is my REAL game, not poker.  I asked what has NY, or ANYONE other than Boston for that matter, EVER done that even comes close to the Dynasty of Dynasties?

NY: Two titles!  
Me: Even shyte kicking hicks from Texass can win two titles!  It takes a real b-ball town to produce over a dozen titles in over four decades.
NY: That's cause they always bought the best centers.
Me: New Yorkers should know all about buying the best talent, too bad that only applies to baseball.  But I guess that's New Yorks problem, they never had a center worth a dam since Reed.
NY: BS!  We drafted Ewing.
ME: (Laughing!) EXACTLY!
NY: Ewing was the best center of his day, one of the greatest of all time.
ME (Still Laughing) Maybe in the state!
NY: Name 5 centers that were better.
ME: Durring Ewings career?
NY: All time.
ME: I'll name eight.
NY: BS!
ME: The "given" Alcindor, Chamberlin & Russel.  Then for the era, Mikam and Gilmore, notice who 3 of the top 5 played for?   Then the guys who were better then Mr. Choke at the front of the rim vs. Indiana finger roll loser, Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson....oh wait I'm wrong....there are actually NINE guys better than Ewing becuase Walton carried his team to a title.
NY: BS!  Walton and Robinson sucked!  So do the Lakers!
ME: I don't care if the Lakers end up in last place, at least Isiah isnt' our GM.
NY: He's not that bad...nah...he sucks...stupid muli-nyuong (sic?)

He went into Italian mode after that and I shut up because he looks like that guy from "The Sheild"...big, bald and phyco looking.  It was fun playing with they guy, a real loud mouth shyte talker, quick and witty.

Anyway....have any of your lists changed?

Kareem
Russel
Wilt
Mikam
Shaq
Gilmore
Hakeem
Walton
Robinson
Ewing
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 11:04:44 AM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

rickortreat

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 11:11:29 AM »
How is Moses Malone not on your list?

Chamberlain
Jabbar
Russell
Malone
Hakeem
Shaq
Mikan
Robinson
Walton
Gilmore

Ewing isn't on the list, and doesn't belong.  I would put Parish ahead of him.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 11:39:09 AM »
How is Moses Malone not on your list?

Chamberlain
Jabbar
Russell
Malone
Hakeem
Shaq
Mikan
Robinson
Walton
Gilmore

Ewing isn't on the list, and doesn't belong.  I would put Parish ahead of him.
What an idiot, how could I have forgotten about Moses!!!!

DAMMIT!!!!!!!!  I could have bounced Ewing from the top 10 RIGHT THERE!!!

Nice list ricko.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 11:44:49 AM »
Bob Parish hands down.  
Ditto Mo Malone.

I think Ewing was much better in an open offense where he was not the #1 option and not the dump it down low to Ewing and Stand Around.  Pat 74-73 Riley or Van Grunty did nothing but this.

I've seen Ewing come swooping in on missed rebounds for putbacks.  I think this is much more his style rather then Dump and Stand Around.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 11:45:15 AM by Reality »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 11:57:37 AM »
Man, looking at that list makes me so nostalgic for when the center position actually mattered. Where have all the quality big men gone?

The other thing of note from WOW's little thread here is about the real treat of arguing sports with a "real" New Yorker. There is nothing quite like it left from an era of real competition. And WOW, you had nothing to worry about. While New Yorkers can argue with an intensity that has to be seen to be believed, if you give as well as you take, they will respond with respect rather then anger.

But you had better come prepared, like WOW did, with the facts to back up your point of view.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 01:13:37 PM »
The other thing of note from WOW's little thread here is about the real treat of arguing sports with a "real" New Yorker. There is nothing quite like it left from an era of real competition. And WOW, you had nothing to worry about. While New Yorkers can argue with an intensity that has to be seen to be believed, if you give as well as you take, they will respond with respect rather then anger.

Easy to say that when you're not looking at someone across a table who's got 100+ lbs on you! ;)

He's a pretty cool guy, just gets out hand when he's drunk from what I've heard.  Him being Italian the mob is obviously involved in his life story, but not the way you would think.  His dad is loaded so he bought him a club in NY, one day some patron got out of hand so he beat the crap out of him, unfortunately this patron was a made guy so our Italian buddy has not been to NY in over 10 years and is completely cut off from his family.  Invite him to Thanksgiving dinner and you'll hear the story, plus he'll get drunk, naked, walk pass your door and then pee on the carpet behind your couch.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 02:10:25 PM »
We never saw the true Arvydas Sabonis in the NBA, but no doubt he was a top 10 all time.  Here is a web site showing old highlights.

http://sabonis.4t.com/site/videos.html

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 02:20:40 PM »

He's a pretty cool guy, just gets out hand when he's drunk from what I've heard.  Him being Italian the mob is obviously involved in his life story, but not the way you would think.  His dad is loaded so he bought him a club in NY, one day some patron got out of hand so he beat the crap out of him, unfortunately this patron was a made guy so our Italian buddy has not been to NY in over 10 years and is completely cut off from his family.
Easy to say that when you're not looking at someone across a table who's got 100+ lbs on you! ;)

Ummm. I have met few individuals of late who weigh as much as I do, let alone outweigh me by 100 lbs. I have scared kids skateboarding along the K Street Mall into stopping and carrying their boards just by looking at them. And I don't even care what they are doing. It's freaky. I am never into intimidating people, and the only time I ever got angry at someone in public enough to be physical,  so to speak, was in Zurich, Switzerland, when some faggy drunk (or high) guy got on the lightrail that my wife and I were riding and started to act creepy by getting in people's faces and making stupid noises and sucking sounds. When he got to me, I picked him up and threw him off the train when it made a stop and the door opened across from me.  

What surprised me was how easy it was.

Invite him to Thanksgiving dinner and you'll hear the story, plus he'll get drunk, naked, walk pass your door and then pee on the carpet behind your couch.

As long as he doesn't take a dump back there, he would be welcome. That would be a huge improvement over having my wife's extended family over for Thanksgiving. I have been tempted to take a dump on some of them, from time to time.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

rickortreat

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 01:52:10 PM »
I'd even place Bill Laimbeer ahead of Ewing.  Bills got the rings!