Author Topic: Which players in the NBA are "off limits"  (Read 3237 times)

Guest_Randy

Which players in the NBA are "off limits"
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 03:18:13 PM »
Much as I love Nash, he's not on that list.  Let the Hornets offer Baron Davis for Nash, and the Suns jump on that.

As for Yao, I knew everyone would question my inclusion of him.  However, MAKE AN OFFER without including one of the above players.  Houston would refuse it. 

Ilgauskus and McInnis for Yao?  No way. 

Wallace and Billups?  Nope. 

Dampier, Finley, and Terry?  Forget it.

Young centers with offensive potential are worth their weight in gold, and every team that deals one away regrets it.  (See Chicago after Brad Miller.  Consider what Indiana would have had with Brad Miller last year.)    The problem is that even if he just BARELY develops, Yao is offensively ahead of most other centers, which gives Houston an advantage.  Equally damning is that Yao is currently the second-tallest player in the NBA - and Shawn Bradley won't be around much longer.

And finally, a center would have to be included in the deal in order for Houston to accept it.  Who is that center?  Does he have as few miles on him as Yao does?  Does he have the potential of Yao?

Keep in mind that Pavel Podkolzine was drafted this past year - with talk of him going as high as the number 4 pick two years ago.  He's shown NOTHING.  Martynas Andriuskevicius (I'm cheering for him to go to the Minnesota Timberwolves...I want to see how they're going to fit that many letters on a jersey) will be a high pick this year.  When there are big centers out there, teams go after them.  Why?  Because they really are THAT RARE.

What Houston was hoping for in Yao was a player who wasn't a bust like Olowakandi.  They got that, and a lot more.  They'll not trade him.
I'd rather have Samuel Dalembert than Yao at this point.  And, the Sixers wouldn't trade him, without getting another Center in return.
Wonder who this poster could be?   :rofl:

Of course, at this point, I'm not sure you would trade Dalembert for TD!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2005, 03:24:08 PM »
I'd rather have Samuel Dalembert than Yao at this point.  And, the Sixers wouldn't trade him, without getting another Center in return.
Please stop drinking the STUPID juice for fuggs sake.  :angry:  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2005, 11:44:17 PM »

You can't be serious?  
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

rickortreat

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005, 10:52:08 AM »
I'm very serious.  I don't like Yao's game.  He can do some things, but he's not a complete NBA player, and I don't think he ever will be.

Dalembert is more athletic, quicker and more coordinated.  He has a decent outside touch and runs the floor better.

He doesn't score like Yao, but the Sixers aren't emphasizing that part of his game.  They don't need him to be a 18 pt. scorer to be effective.  (Although I think the Sixers would be better off making Sam more of the offense)  Jim O'Brien has more talent on that team than he knows what to do with, and his unwillingness to establish a rotation hurts the players development.

As for trading Dalembert, who would the Sixers trade him for?  Going by the same logic Joe used for Yao,  a team would have to put together a decent deal for the Sixers to jump.  They need a center, so any trade would require one, and logically since that center would be less capable than Dalembert, we'd need another player for compensation.  .  

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2005, 11:29:51 AM »
Rickortreat,

Dalembert for Brad Miller and Peja Stojakovic.  Do you do it, or not?

You'll take that in a flat second.  Houston won't for Yao.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2005, 11:42:07 AM »
Personally, if I were the GM of Houston, I'd make that trade in a heartbeat (as long as Peja indicated that he would stay with an improved contract).  

Miller has had a MUCH better year than Yao and Miller is also capable of playing big minutes when they count -- I haven't seen that to be true of Yao yet!  

Yao has yet to impress me night in and night out -- very little drive and competitiveness and little in the way of getting better conditioning.  Miller and Peja would put Houston over the top, IMO.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2005, 11:42:44 AM »
Rickortreat,

Dalembert for Brad Miller and Peja Stojakovic.  Do you do it, or not?

You'll take that in a flat second.  Houston won't for Yao.
 :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

You know, Yao Ming is not in Brad Miller's league as a player, but he is not that bad.

Would Houston consider a trade for Miller and Peja for Yao? You bet they would.

The problem is, Sacramento would not.    
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2005, 11:59:22 AM »
Dalembert for Mihm & Butler?

Dalembert for Randolph?

Dalembert for Bosh?

There are lots of possibilities...however in each of the above cases I don't see Philly being the team to reject the trade.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

rickortreat

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2005, 01:08:26 PM »
Joe, I'd say both Philly and Houston would jump at that trade.  Miller is much more polished than Yao or Dalembert.  And Peja is a great shooter.  

Mihm & Butler?  No way I'd touch that.  

Randolph wouldn't be a replacement at Center, I'd need more in a trade.

Bosh I'd have to think about seriously.  He's certainly ahead of Sam in his development and he's much younger.  He's not a Center though.   So I'd want another player on top of Bosh.