Author Topic: Which players in the NBA are "off limits"  (Read 3235 times)

Guest_Randy

Which players in the NBA are "off limits"
« on: February 07, 2005, 12:42:49 PM »
when it comes to a team trading them?  

onetheroad-koast

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 12:46:38 PM »
Allan Houston comes to mind.....

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 01:29:05 PM »
Seriously....

that would be none.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 01:37:34 PM »
I think TD and LeBron James are "off-limits" -- I don't think EITHER team could get enough to replace these players -- those are two definates although I think there are a few more.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 03:25:12 PM »
I think TD and LeBron James are "off-limits" -- I don't think EITHER team could get enough to replace these players -- those are two definates although I think there are a few more.
Garnett would be.  There is one guy that they would trade him for, Duncan.  SA isn't about to trade Duncan so no way Garnett gets moved.

Would Miami trade Shaq at this point  I say no, unless again it was Duncan, and   SA isn't about to trade Duncan so no way Shaq gets moved.

Cleveland isn't trading LeBron unless it is Duncan, and once again, SA isn't about to trade Duncan so no way LeBron gets moved.

Amare I think falls into that category as well.  Only trade would be for Duncan.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 03:28:02 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 04:33:22 PM »
Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Jermaine O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Yao Ming, Shaquille O'Neal, LeBron James, Amare Stoudemire, and Dwyane Wade.  The only way any of them are going anywhere is for another person on this list - and I can't see any situation where both teams would be willing to swap.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 07:34:32 PM »
Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Jermaine O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Yao Ming, Shaquille O'Neal, LeBron James, Amare Stoudemire, and Dwyane Wade.  The only way any of them are going anywhere is for another person on this list - and I can't see any situation where both teams would be willing to swap.
I agree with Joe's logic here, that is the best way to look at this.
I would add Kirilenko to that list.  Utah is not going to give him up unless they get one of those players.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

rickortreat

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 11:56:43 AM »
I don't think Yao goes on that list.  He's not that good a player.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 12:03:56 PM »
I'm glad Joe piped in on that one -- I was going to say "are you sure that the TWolves wouldn't trade KG for Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson or Ron Artest?"  I think they would -- esp. if they can't turn things around soon -- I can't see KG being happy longterm given the present circumstances in Minny.

Also, I would add Steve Nash to that list -- while I'm not sure he is the status player that these other players are -- to the Suns he IS that important (look what happens to the team and esp. Amare every time Nash is out).  

Last but not least, I'm not sure that Yao belongs on that list.  The guy has some flashes but his lack of competitiveness and conditioning show that he ISN'T a guy (at least at this point) that you can build a team around.  He is still playing limited minutes and he doesn't deliver night in and night out.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 12:24:37 PM »
Wade doesn't belong on that list but I agree on the rest.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 12:25:40 PM »
Speaking of Yao, anyone else bothered by the All Star voter's love affair with Houston Rocket players? Last year we get Yao and Francis in the starting lineup, and now we have Yao and McGrady.

These are 'good' players, but if a team has two players who qualify as starters on the All Star team, shouldn't their team be a bit higher in the standings?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 12:28:10 PM »
Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Jermaine O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Yao Ming, Shaquille O'Neal, LeBron James, Amare Stoudemire, and Dwyane Wade.  The only way any of them are going anywhere is for another person on this list - and I can't see any situation where both teams would be willing to swap.
Wade doesn't belong on that list but I agree on the rest.
As I stated, no player in the NBA is immune to being traded, but if I were in Cleveland and they announced that James was being moved, I would lead the parade into downtown to burn what is left of that woebegon city.

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 12:28:16 PM »
Much as I love Nash, he's not on that list.  Let the Hornets offer Baron Davis for Nash, and the Suns jump on that.

As for Yao, I knew everyone would question my inclusion of him.  However, MAKE AN OFFER without including one of the above players.  Houston would refuse it.  

Ilgauskus and McInnis for Yao?  No way.  

Wallace and Billups?  Nope.  

Dampier, Finley, and Terry?  Forget it.

Young centers with offensive potential are worth their weight in gold, and every team that deals one away regrets it.  (See Chicago after Brad Miller.  Consider what Indiana would have had with Brad Miller last year.)    The problem is that even if he just BARELY develops, Yao is offensively ahead of most other centers, which gives Houston an advantage.  Equally damning is that Yao is currently the second-tallest player in the NBA - and Shawn Bradley won't be around much longer.

And finally, a center would have to be included in the deal in order for Houston to accept it.  Who is that center?  Does he have as few miles on him as Yao does?  Does he have the potential of Yao?

Keep in mind that Pavel Podkolzine was drafted this past year - with talk of him going as high as the number 4 pick two years ago.  He's shown NOTHING.  Martynas Andriuskevicius (I'm cheering for him to go to the Minnesota Timberwolves...I want to see how they're going to fit that many letters on a jersey) will be a high pick this year.  When there are big centers out there, teams go after them.  Why?  Because they really are THAT RARE.

What Houston was hoping for in Yao was a player who wasn't a bust like Olowakandi.  They got that, and a lot more.  They'll not trade him.

Joe

-----------

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 12:38:44 PM »
Regarding Wade:

He's a winner.  He's a young guard - who has played point, which, in my opinion, is where he belongs.  He's on a wildly successful team, and is a key element to it.

If New Orleans offered Baron Davis and Jamal Magloire for Wade, would Miami take it?  NO.  That's TWO ALL-STARS!  They wouldn't take it because of Davis's back.  

If Phoenix offered Nash and Marion?  That would be tempting - and for sure, *I* would do it - but only if Miami is playing for this year only.  Wade has a lot more years left than Nash.

Point guards are valuable, and successful young point guards are incredibly valuable.  A successful, young, team-oriented, defensive-minded, primary-option capable point guard isn't going ANYWHERE.

Wade is the hardest player to justify on my list, since Miami needs some depth, and obviously, they might be able to get a good deal of it by trading Wade.  (Parker, Barry, and Rose for Wade?  Just for the depth, Miami would have to think seriously about it.)  But due to the fact that O'Neal apparently likes Wade, he's essentially untouchable.

Joe

-----------

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 02:27:54 PM »
Much as I love Nash, he's not on that list.  Let the Hornets offer Baron Davis for Nash, and the Suns jump on that.

As for Yao, I knew everyone would question my inclusion of him.  However, MAKE AN OFFER without including one of the above players.  Houston would refuse it.  

Ilgauskus and McInnis for Yao?  No way.  

Wallace and Billups?  Nope.  

Dampier, Finley, and Terry?  Forget it.

Young centers with offensive potential are worth their weight in gold, and every team that deals one away regrets it.  (See Chicago after Brad Miller.  Consider what Indiana would have had with Brad Miller last year.)    The problem is that even if he just BARELY develops, Yao is offensively ahead of most other centers, which gives Houston an advantage.  Equally damning is that Yao is currently the second-tallest player in the NBA - and Shawn Bradley won't be around much longer.

And finally, a center would have to be included in the deal in order for Houston to accept it.  Who is that center?  Does he have as few miles on him as Yao does?  Does he have the potential of Yao?

Keep in mind that Pavel Podkolzine was drafted this past year - with talk of him going as high as the number 4 pick two years ago.  He's shown NOTHING.  Martynas Andriuskevicius (I'm cheering for him to go to the Minnesota Timberwolves...I want to see how they're going to fit that many letters on a jersey) will be a high pick this year.  When there are big centers out there, teams go after them.  Why?  Because they really are THAT RARE.

What Houston was hoping for in Yao was a player who wasn't a bust like Olowakandi.  They got that, and a lot more.  They'll not trade him.
I'd rather have Samuel Dalembert than Yao at this point.  And, the Sixers wouldn't trade him, without getting another Center in return.