Author Topic: If Mavs want Shaq then LA wants Dirk  (Read 1194 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
If Mavs want Shaq then LA wants Dirk
« on: June 23, 2004, 06:53:51 PM »
The Los Angeles Lakers have taken the position that they will not trade Shaquille O'Neal to the rival Dallas Mavericks unless they receive Dirk Nowitzki as part of the exchange, team sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

O'Neal demanded a trade Friday in the wake of the Lakers' loss to Detroit in the NBA Finals and coach Phil Jackson's departure. Dallas is believed to be his No. 1 choice for a new home. Trade talks between the two clubs began Tuesday, but Lakers sources told ESPN.com that L.A. insists on Nowitzki as the staple of any package from the Mavericks.

Mavericks sources, meanwhile, maintain that Nowitzki is likely off-limits, though Mavericks owner Mark Cuban isn't ruling out trading Nowitzki as an option. Even if the Mavericks could convince the Lakers to accept a package that leads with point guard Steve Nash, instead of Nowitzki, Nash would have to agree to join L.A. in a sign-and-trade because he's a free agent as of July 1.

Asked specifically about Nowitzki at a charity news conference on Monday, Cuban said: "I'd be hard-pressed to see us trading Dirk. Dirk is as close to untouchable as you can get."

However, Cuban added, "Never say never, because there's always something that can change it."

Whether either team changes its position likely will depend on how forcefully O'Neal pressures the Lakers to move him, and how tantalized the Mavericks become if the possibility of acquiring Shaq becomes more real.

Amid growing belief around the league that the Lakers are serious about honoring Shaq's trade request -- with the Clippers emerging as a possible trade partner -- O'Neal can try to influence where he lands because of an opt-out in his contract next season. Although the Lakers technically have the freedom to deal O'Neal anywhere, O'Neal does have some of the same leverage Tracy McGrady possessed in pushing for a trade to the Houston Rockets. That's because any team willing to give up enough in a trade to take on Shaq's $27.7 million salary for next season must also have confidence it will be able to re-sign him in the summer of 2005, or else it will be paying a hefty price to risk having O'Neal for only one season.  
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 07:37:30 PM »
You really think he is going to play for Mark Cuban after they've had problems over the years?

Doubt it.  Shaq isnt going anywhere.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 08:24:59 AM »
In an interview, Greg Poppazit said the same thing. He fully expects to see both Shaq and Kobme play for the Lakers this year.
Paul

Guest_Randy

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 12:57:53 PM »
In an interview, Greg Poppazit said the same thing. He fully expects to see both Shaq and Kobme play for the Lakers this year.
What does Pop know -- he fully expected the Spurs to win the title too!  And he gave Rose a ton of money and now doesn't even want to play him -- Rose hasn't changed has he?

I don't expect Shaq to play in LA next year -- and I sure hope he isn't either -- he is more valuable to the Lakers in trade than he is playing.  I don't think I see Kobe going anywhere but Shaq isn't going to be happy if he stays -- and an unhappy Shaq is pretty worthless to the Lakers, IMO.  The ONLY way I could see this scenario changing is if Malone returned -- I think he could keep Shaq happy.