Author Topic: Belated congrats to the Pistons and their fans . .  (Read 836 times)

Guest_Randy

Belated congrats to the Pistons and their fans . .
« on: June 21, 2004, 02:25:59 PM »
they thrashed the Lakers and won the title.  Congrats from a humbled, okay a little anyway, Laker fan.

Looks like I missed a lot while I was gone -- the Lakers are beginning to look like the former Soviet Union now.  There are a few teams that I expected this to happen to and the Lakers were one of them but I didn't expect it to happen this quickly and with this much hoopla (although it seems that everything in La-la land is hoopla these days).  

I'm GLAD the Lakers are willing to trade Shaq -- even glad he is demanding a trade -- I wanted to see the Lakers keep Kobe and, IMO, that isn't possible with Shaq around (esp. after PJ was gone which you KNEW was going to happen).  

Here are some teams that I think a trade COULD happen with:

Kings - Shaq for Peja, Miller or CWebb and filler (perhaps from both teams).  Not sure that I believe this one would happen but it might be the ONLY way that the Kings get back to the real hunt.  There are some VERY unhappy people in this organization and some of them are going to have to leave.  It seems that Peja and Vlade are good friends and CWebb and Bibby are friends -- there seems to be a line drawn down the lockerroom (of course, in La-la land, we are used to such things).  I would LOVE to see Peja on the Lakers -- and would even be willing to take CWebb's contract to do it -- would rather have Miller though -- don't like CWebb.  Seriously DON'T think this one would happen.

Clippers - Brand, Maggette, and or one of their many centers (I really like Wilcox).  Again, I doubt this one would happen but they do have some personell that could make it happen.

Mavs - This could happen esp. with a sign-and-trade with Steve Nash -- I really don't want to hear Antoine Walker's name used in this trade though -- would prefer to see Jamison in purple and gold.  This REALLY could happen -- it would put Dallas as the favorite to a championship.  I would LOVE for Dallas to throw in Josh Howard or Najera as well -- heck, I'm greedy.

Blazers - They really want to get rid of SAR and the Lakers need a post threat -- this trade would also include at least one other big man (Ratliff) but they would need to throw in someone else as well and I'm not sure that I like anyone else on the roster (esp. Ruben Patterson  :puke: ).

Grizz - I think this team would throw in a LOT to get Shaq -- would definately throw in Pau Gasol, Lorenzon Wright, Bo Outlaw, James Posey, Jason Williams and/or Earl Watson.  IMO, this is the one that COULD happen.

I don't see very many of these happening -- there's a chance with Portland, Memphis, Dallas, IMO -- I think the Grizz is the best chance though.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Belated congrats to the Pistons and their fans . .
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 02:42:53 PM »
they thrashed the Lakers and won the title.  Congrats from a humbled, okay a little anyway, Laker fan.

Looks like I missed a lot while I was gone -- the Lakers are beginning to look like the former Soviet Union now.  There are a few teams that I expected this to happen to and the Lakers were one of them but I didn't expect it to happen this quickly and with this much hoopla (although it seems that everything in La-la land is hoopla these days).  

I'm GLAD the Lakers are willing to trade Shaq -- even glad he is demanding a trade -- I wanted to see the Lakers keep Kobe and, IMO, that isn't possible with Shaq around (esp. after PJ was gone which you KNEW was going to happen).  

Here are some teams that I think a trade COULD happen with:

Kings - Shaq for Peja, Miller or CWebb and filler (perhaps from both teams).  Not sure that I believe this one would happen but it might be the ONLY way that the Kings get back to the real hunt.  There are some VERY unhappy people in this organization and some of them are going to have to leave.  It seems that Peja and Vlade are good friends and CWebb and Bibby are friends -- there seems to be a line drawn down the lockerroom (of course, in La-la land, we are used to such things).  I would LOVE to see Peja on the Lakers -- and would even be willing to take CWebb's contract to do it -- would rather have Miller though -- don't like CWebb.  Seriously DON'T think this one would happen.

Clippers - Brand, Maggette, and or one of their many centers (I really like Wilcox).  Again, I doubt this one would happen but they do have some personell that could make it happen.

Mavs - This could happen esp. with a sign-and-trade with Steve Nash -- I really don't want to hear Antoine Walker's name used in this trade though -- would prefer to see Jamison in purple and gold.  This REALLY could happen -- it would put Dallas as the favorite to a championship.  I would LOVE for Dallas to throw in Josh Howard or Najera as well -- heck, I'm greedy.

Blazers - They really want to get rid of SAR and the Lakers need a post threat -- this trade would also include at least one other big man (Ratliff) but they would need to throw in someone else as well and I'm not sure that I like anyone else on the roster (esp. Ruben Patterson  :puke: ).

Grizz - I think this team would throw in a LOT to get Shaq -- would definately throw in Pau Gasol, Lorenzon Wright, Bo Outlaw, James Posey, Jason Williams and/or Earl Watson.  IMO, this is the one that COULD happen.

I don't see very many of these happening -- there's a chance with Portland, Memphis, Dallas, IMO -- I think the Grizz is the best chance though.
I hadn't thought about Dallas, but that has real possibilities.  Walker is being left unprotected in the expansion draft, but I don't Charlotte taking him.  Cuban would jump at Nash, Finley, and Jamison.

Portland would look long and hard, but I agree with Randy.  Rahim, Ratliff, maybe Miles, but who else?  I think it is a long shot.  Patterson will be left unprotected, but I doubt Charlotte will take him.

Memphis will have difficulty in pulling off a deal.  The biggest reason is that too many of their players are on their original contracts, and aren't paid enough.  To get to $30,000,000 (Shaq's salary) would require 6 to 8 players, with an average salary of $3,750,000 and $5,000,000.  Thta would lay waste to Memphis' roster, and they don't have a #1 pick this year.

Lurker mentioned Charlotte and they more than anybody have access to a huge amount of decent talent and large salaries.  For LA, this allows them to go with a vetern group for a couple of years and then when these deals expire they can make their next run, when Kobe hits 28-32, which would be his prime.  I see it as a long shot, but a very intruiging long shot.  
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil