Author Topic: Blazers acquire 3rd 1st round pick  (Read 1088 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Blazers acquire 3rd 1st round pick
« on: June 21, 2004, 12:21:28 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2004/co...andy&id=1825427

Rumors has it that Portland is doing this to give themselves 1 more chance at Sebatian Telfair.  I don't buy it.  Why would Portland make a deal that is only 1 spot better than the position they already have, before they even know if Telfair will be available at 22?  If that is what you want why not wait till draft day and make the deal then, when you know you really have a shot if he is what they want.  Personally no way I want Telfair.  Last thing we need is another undersized shoot first point guard, expecially one right out of HS.

I believe this indicates that their is a deal in the works, involving Rahim most likely, Davis less likely.  I just don't believe that they would pay $3 million for the #22 pick just to draft a HS PG.  They are doing it to sweeten the pot for the player they really want.
My gut tells me it is Rahim and 3 #1's for Vince Carter and the Raptor's #1, or Rahim and the 3 #1's for Ray Allen and Seattle's #1.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 08:18:32 AM »
Gill? Any relation to Kendall??
Paul

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 02:50:32 PM »
Gill? Any relation to Kendall??
No relation to Kendall Gill that I am aware of.

I have heard also that Portland has made an offer for McGrady, and that they are one of the final candidates.  This trade and the talk of Telfair makes a little more sense now, if Telfair is who they really want, and I am not yet convinced he is.

The deal is McGrady and Howard for Davis, Rahim, DA and 2 #1's (13 and 22 or 23).  That still leaves Portland with the opportunity to take Telfair at 22 or 23.  This also allows Orlando to have 2 contracts that end next year totaling $20,000,000.  They can resign Rahim and then let Davis walk and if Grant Hill doesn't return they then get an exemption to replace him.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil