Author Topic: The off-season move the Kings need to make  (Read 1705 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
The off-season move the Kings need to make
« on: June 19, 2004, 12:02:18 AM »
Do a sign and trade with Detroit and get Rasheed and give Webber.

This has a couple of benefits.
#1  -  It disrupts the NBA champs, and forces some big changes.

#2  -  The Kings have shown they can't win the big one with CWebb, and the window is closing fast.

#3  -  Rasheed fits better with the Kings than Webber.  This allows the focus of the offense to move to Peja and Biddy where it belongs.

#4  -  Rasheed doesn't want to be the man, but an important cog.  That is exactly what he would be in Sacramento.  His defense would be a huge addition.  He gives Sacro a solid shot blocker, a decent rebounder, and a great help defender.  His low post offense, would provide a great pick and roll option with both Peja, and Bibby.

#5  -  Sheed is a couple of years younger than CWebb, so they extend their window, and get out from Webbs huge deal.

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 12:38:11 PM »
Great idea, ziggy.  But you have to convince Rasheed Wallace that he wants to play in Sacramento for Adelman rather than in Detroit for Brown...and then you have to convince Detroit that they want Webber and only Webber.  I don't see either of those things happening.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 08:36:35 PM »
You fail to address why Detroit would want the overpaid, always injured Webber.  I would think they'd actually want to improve their chances of winning another championship, not decrease their chances. Nope, I'm afraid Sacramento is stuck with Webber.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 09:29:23 PM »
You fail to address why Detroit would want the overpaid, always injured Webber.  I would think they'd actually want to improve their chances of winning another championship, not decrease their chances. Nope, I'm afraid Sacramento is stuck with Webber.
I think a case "could" be made.

1.)  Rasheed is a FA, and to retain him they will probably need to sign him for 7 years.  Webber only has 4 years left.  So Detroit gets out from under a big contract 3 years earlier.

2.)  To make the deal work Detroit would have to send 2 contracts (because Webber is making more than Sheed can get paid in his first year of a multi-year), so they can move a bad contract in the process.

3.)  Detroit's defense improved when Sheed arrived, but with Prince, Big Ben, Billups, and Hamilton they still have a very solid defense, and replacing their PF with another good PF will not "kill" their defense.  They may not be as good defensively, but they will be better on the offensive end.

4.)  Webber is a great passer, and he would match up in a fabulous way with Billups in the pick and roll, and with Hamilton moving without the ball.

5.)  Webber gives the Pistons a better offensive threat, and a better rebounder than Sheed.

6.)  Webber is from Detroit, so coming home "may" rejuvinate him.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2004, 11:05:41 PM »
Im gonna throw out another point of view....you know just to mix it up.  I dont think Sheed can or will replace C-Webb for a few reason...

1) Sheed is not the passer that Chris Webber is.  The C-webb I saw in the playoffs this year was a different one than I saw the previous 3.  Normally he is a very important part of the well oiled motion offense that Adleman has them play.  If Vlade can only play very limited minutes who else is going to be the post passer?  Sheed never was that kind of player to me.

2) Chris Webber was not 100%.  That was clear by how unfrequently he choose to go to the rim off the block towards the end of the season and in the playoffs.  He has been a very consistant scorer for the Kings in the post and could shoot the jumper.  Why move more of the offense to Peja?  People are quick to blame the Kings looses in the playoffs only on Webber's shoulders when on two seperate big series' in the past 3 years Peja became a ghost for the most part.  The Webber that mixed up the jumpers with low block scoring is more reliable than Peja's jump shooting.  Don't forget Peja gets a decent amount of points off moving without the ball, something that may not work with Sheed in C-webb's spot.

3) Why would Detroit pick up C-webb's bill anyways.  They certainly are not going to re-sign Sheed for anywhere near that amount of money.

To me the Kings need to make a deal to get a center who can rebound and play defense and they need either Christie to improve his slashing or they need to sign someone who can break down the defense when the jumper isnt falling.  Not a super star.  Someone like Stephen Jackson would be a nice fit and could back up Christie.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 11:07:39 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com