Author Topic: Would Kobe take less to Title?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Would Kobe take less to Title?
« on: June 18, 2004, 01:56:13 PM »
A serious thread with no clear or inferred irreverance to Lakers/Laker posters.

We saw Karl Malone and Payton do it.  Granted they were 35+ years old.  Still they did it.  Granted, only for one year as now Malone wants more cashe if he is going to come back to the Lakers.  Still he did it last year.  "It" being take less cash for a title chance.  

Could, would, will Kobe Bryant refuse a sign n trade, take less money and sign as a complete FA so as the team he goes to gives nothing in return to the Lakers? Thus to give him what he feels is the best chance for title(s).  Example go to the Spurs. :wub:  I will welcome that.
Even sign a one year deal if he wanted so he could do it all again for 2005-2006.
The thought here is TITLE.  I dont care what past 2003- back NBAers have done.

Indy
Twolves.  hey its a thought.
Detroit.  Well im just saying.
Kings.  I dont think so.

Philly i dont see how they could title with him.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 03:21:44 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 02:21:39 PM »
Best chance for a title with Kobe, with current rosters of destination team:

Spurs
Indiana
Wolves
Lakers
Kings
Pistons
Rockets

Edit: Going to and winning it all with Indy would be the biggest statement.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 02:22:15 PM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 12:19:15 PM »
No way Bryant does that.  The guy is facing major legal bills and an uncertain future.  He goes for a max salary somewhere.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 10:18:41 AM »
No way Bryant does that.  The guy is facing major legal bills and an uncertain future.  He goes for a max salary somewhere.
Could his legal bills possibly exceed $30 million?  I doubt it.
Leaving him a net worth of $170 million to squeek by on.  Even at a *lesser* base salary of *only* 7 million a year not counting endorsements, which are what, +$25 million a year for Bryant even with his image taking a hit?  So Bryant will make $32 mil next year at the minimum?
Even if the Colorado woman wins a civil suit could it seems $10 mil would be enough for her and attys to settle.

No Joe, unless there is some vice he blows it on he doesn't need the money.  He will probably go for the money yes.  It would just be refreshing for an NBA player, esp a star to actually have a title be the 1st priority.  For what would appear to be only the 2nd time in NBA history.  It was nice to see Malone and Payton do it last year but really why should their priorities have now changed?  What, they don't want a title now?  Malone can't get by on his $100+ million worth, cant (won't) play for the minimal in Purple n Gold this upcoming year?  Time will tell, i agree with you that he is simply talking the talk about his agent saying it will only be with the Lakers.

With Kobe how much would it polish his NBA resume to add another title.  I think it would be huge.  The media would forever hype 4 in 6 years.  He could go for it again in 2005-2006.  5 in 7 years?  That would create tons of MJ-Kobe comparisons.  The endorsments would return twofold.  He needs to become a Spur.  Of course it will be interesting to see what roster the Lakers end up with for 2004-5.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 10:29:52 AM by Reality »

rickortreat

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 02:50:35 PM »
How much less?  What chance for a title?  I'd say he'd be willing to take a temporary decline in money for a very strong title shot.  He has more than enough money, so apart from that the motivation is probably to get the rings and eventually the national endorsements, after he beats the rape charge.

His ego will drive him to an opportunity to get the chance to be the star on a team that wins the Finals.  He can't do it alone, but he can do it without Shaq.  Just about anywhere he could go outside of MN. or SA. he'll be the top dog on his team.