Author Topic: The Sports Guy on Kobe  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Sports Guy on Kobe
« on: June 18, 2004, 11:58:05 AM »
I thought this was interesting because this guy is a fairly pro-Lakers columnist. He even complained in this article that the officiating was unfairly biased for the Pistons. What do you all make of this?

From ESPN Page 2
Bill Simmons

Q: Who was more excited after Game 5, Red Auerbach or Michael Jordan?

A: Probably Red. You know this Phil Jackson stuff drives him bonkers. With that said, MJ had to be delighted that Kobe struggled so much against the Pistons. Young MJ would have been too physical off the dribble for Prince. Older Wiser MJ would have brought Prince down low, posted him up and introduced him to the fallaway and the drop-step. Either version of MJ would have attacked the basket if the jumpers weren't falling. And if his team was having so much trouble rebounding, do you think MJ would have gone down low and grabbed a few boards? Me, too.

Put it this way: Either Kobe's bum shoulder was more banged up than anyone realized, or his stock dropped BIG TIME in this series. No way MJ goes that quietly in his prime. No way MJ launches that many ghastly shots. No way MJ wastes a 36-20 effort from Shaq. No way MJ stands around as the Pistons keep grabbing offensive rebounds. It just wouldn't happen. I think we can put a moratorium on the "Kobe vs. MJ" stuff for awhile.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
The Sports Guy on Kobe
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 12:20:43 PM »
I thought this was interesting because this guy is a fairly pro-Lakers columnist. He even complained in this article that the officiating was unfairly biased for the Pistons. What do you all make of this?

From ESPN Page 2
Bill Simmons

Q: Who was more excited after Game 5, Red Auerbach or Michael Jordan?

A: Probably Red. You know this Phil Jackson stuff drives him bonkers. With that said, MJ had to be delighted that Kobe struggled so much against the Pistons. Young MJ would have been too physical off the dribble for Prince. Older Wiser MJ would have brought Prince down low, posted him up and introduced him to the fallaway and the drop-step. Either version of MJ would have attacked the basket if the jumpers weren't falling. And if his team was having so much trouble rebounding, do you think MJ would have gone down low and grabbed a few boards? Me, too.

Put it this way: Either Kobe's bum shoulder was more banged up than anyone realized, or his stock dropped BIG TIME in this series. No way MJ goes that quietly in his prime. No way MJ launches that many ghastly shots. No way MJ wastes a 36-20 effort from Shaq. No way MJ stands around as the Pistons keep grabbing offensive rebounds. It just wouldn't happen. I think we can put a moratorium on the "Kobe vs. MJ" stuff for awhile.
I think Kobe will be right up there with MJ, but to be honest Kobe still has A LOT of time to make his own history in the NBA, i was never much for the "kobe vs jordan" thing myself, but i think when his career is over - he will be one of the best in nba history.  thats just my humble opinion of Kobe.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

jn

The Sports Guy on Kobe
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 12:22:58 PM »
That was an interesting article he put out today, particularly his mea culpa regarding Prince vs 'Melo.  

I'd have to think that if Kobe's shoulder was really hurting we would have heard a lot more about it by now.  

I'm trying to keep my post short and neutral so that no drama queens will respond with a raging screed that entirely misses the point and then proclaims victory.   :eek2:  

rickortreat

The Sports Guy on Kobe
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 12:32:37 PM »
Kobe had a weaker cast around him than MJ did, no shooters to spread the floor and stretch the defense.  No one to set screens and picks to free up Kobe.  OK, so he isn't quite MJ, but who was/is?  Even if he falls a little short he is the Heir Air Apparent to the legacy of Hawkins, Erving, Jordan.  And Kobe knows that as much as anyone.  

Even if he was a punk for dissing Philly.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The Sports Guy on Kobe
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 02:06:02 PM »
I have to agree to a certain extent about MJ doing other things to help his team, but when Kobe tried to do some of those other things he didn't get the calls he deserved.  The other things is the "young" MJ is still older than the current Kobe.  The Pistons and Celtics pretty much handled MJ and the Bulls, when MJ finally started making some noise the Pistons put the hurt on him and beat him.  It wasn't until the role players stepped up that MJ was able to win.  Kobe already has one super star player who came to play and he still couldn't get it done so in that regard you have to wonder why Kobe couldn't be the finisher he typically has been in years past.  MJ never had to go into the playoffs with the injury problems that Kobe did this AND last year.  This is also the first time Kobe came up short when healthy after becomming a super star.  So the comparrisons are somewhat unfair.

That was the long answer.

The short answer is MJ would have won the title this year under the same circumstances.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The Sports Guy on Kobe
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 02:06:51 PM »
I'm trying to keep my post short and neutral so that no drama queens will respond with a raging screed that entirely misses the point and then proclaims victory.   :eek2:
 :cry:

Try backing up your "point".  :nod:  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Sports Guy on Kobe
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 02:11:49 PM »

ROTFLMAO!!
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Sports Guy on Kobe
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 02:39:28 PM »
MJ never had to go into the playoffs with the injury problems that Kobe did this AND last year.  This is also the first time Kobe came up short when healthy after becomming a super star.  So the comparrisons are somewhat unfair.
WoW,

I'll agree with all of your post except this part. MJ did go into the playoffs a couple of times with nagging injuries. One year he had a bad wrist, wore a brace on his shooting hand for all of the playoffs.

Another year he had an ankle sprain that kept bugging him. I remember watching him turn his ankle on a pretty routine cut, kind of a freak thing, and it bothered him throughout the playoffs.

Except for these little quibbles, I think your post is dead on.

IMO, Kobe is still young and has time to prove he is equal to Jordan. In my mind, when he wins a few titles as the leader and dominant force on a team, he will get there. This series was strange. Because of the weak supporting cast, he was called upon to provide a similar level of contribution  to what Jordan had to do when he was leading the Bulls. I am still surprised he didn't come through.

But seriously, did any of us expect Gary Payton to suck so badly and completely? The question on everyone's mind: can a man play himself out of the hall of fame in one playoffs.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
The Sports Guy on Kobe
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 06:18:19 PM »
MJ never had to go into the playoffs with the injury problems that Kobe did this AND last year.  This is also the first time Kobe came up short when healthy after becomming a super star.  So the comparrisons are somewhat unfair.
WoW,

But seriously, did any of us expect Gary Payton to suck so badly and completely? The question on everyone's mind: can a man play himself out of the hall of fame in one playoffs.
Ask that question on Sunset Blvd and I bet its a yes.

I dont think Kobe's shoulder was really hurting him that bad.  Alot of players play thru injuries so for that to be the reason, or excuse I should say for why he played bad is bs.  Good full court pressure + bad triangle execution + few ticks on the 24 = Kobe having to force up horrible shots.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The Sports Guy on Kobe
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 07:02:36 PM »
MJ never had to go into the playoffs with the injury problems that Kobe did this AND last year.  This is also the first time Kobe came up short when healthy after becomming a super star.  So the comparrisons are somewhat unfair.
WoW,

I'll agree with all of your post except this part. MJ did go into the playoffs a couple of times with nagging injuries. One year he had a bad wrist, wore a brace on his shooting hand for all of the playoffs.

Another year he had an ankle sprain that kept bugging him. I remember watching him turn his ankle on a pretty routine cut, kind of a freak thing, and it bothered him throughout the playoffs.

Except for these little quibbles, I think your post is dead on.

IMO, Kobe is still young and has time to prove he is equal to Jordan. In my mind, when he wins a few titles as the leader and dominant force on a team, he will get there. This series was strange. Because of the weak supporting cast, he was called upon to provide a similar level of contribution  to what Jordan had to do when he was leading the Bulls. I am still surprised he didn't come through.

Sorry Ted, I was not clear.

MJ didn't take a team riddled with injuries into the playoffs, other than Pips widdle headace!

Agreed both Kobe and MJ had to deal with thier own injuries, I was referring to MJ's team mates.

Right now the Laker Nation is in limbo..........
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"