Author Topic: The T-Mac Saga Begins!  (Read 4000 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The T-Mac Saga Begins!
« on: June 17, 2004, 10:39:30 AM »
Artest, Harrington, Bender, and Tinsley for McGrady & Howard.

'http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl- sptmagic17061704jun17,1,546284
.story?coll=orl-magic','11'

Requires registration, so here it is:

Orlando Magic owner Rich DeVos says he expects to meet with his frustrated superstar, Tracy McGrady, tonight or Friday to "see where Tracy's heart is."

And DeVos hopes it is in the right place: Orlando.

"I'll find out when I get through [talking with McGrady]," DeVos told the Sentinel on Wednesday from his home near Grand Rapids, Mich.

"I like the kid, and I hope he stays. But if he wants to stay, I want him to say it wholeheartedly."

Although a report has surfaced that the team is listening to trade offers, McGrady says he will go into the meeting with DeVos with "an open mind," even if most signs have pointed to his departure.

DeVos reiterated what Magic President Bob Vander Weide said last week: If McGrady doesn't want to be with the Magic, then the club will, grudgingly, be forced to trade him to receive some sort of compensation before he leaves as a free agent after the coming season.

According to Indiana Pacers chief executive officer Donnie Walsh and various sources, the Magic have, not surprisingly, laid the groundwork and explored trade possibilities involving McGrady.

"I have spoken to somebody in their organization, and I sensed there was interest there," Walsh told the Indianapolis Star in Wednesday's editions. "What they're telling me is, there's a good chance he's going to be traded. So, yeah, a player like that out there, we're definitely going to be interested."

Magic General Manager John Weisbrod declined to comment.

McGrady's Los Angeles-based agent, Arn Tellem, did not return a phone message.

McGrady has said he might have to ask for a trade to a playoff-type team if it appears the Magic will be rebuilding. He can opt out of his seven-year, $93Æ’|million contract after next season, but the Magic want him to confirm his intentions before the draft next Thursday.

"I want to ask Tracy what's going on in this period of his life," DeVos said. "I'm not going to try to change his mind. I just want to make sure that it's clear ... see what obstacles he thinks there are and what problems we can help him with.

"We're dealing with human beings here, not racehorses."

Various player agents say the Magic's asking price for T-Mac is exceptionally high and that they have focused on two or three teams that could deliver a package of players.

The Indiana Pacers, Houston Rockets and Phoenix Suns -- all teams with one outstanding young big man -- have expressed interest in adding McGrady.

According to one source, the Magic have asked the Pacers for as many as four players -- Ron Artest, Al Harrington, Jamaal Tinsley and Jonathan Bender -- in exchange for McGrady. To make it fit under salary-cap rules, the Magic would have to send at least one other player, likely Juwan Howard.

Walsh told the Indianapolis Star that only star power forward Jermaine O'Neal was untouchable.

Sources say the Magic have asked the Rockets to send back Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato, which would give them a new starting backcourt and a big man. Those sources also indicate the Phoenix Suns might be in the mix, talking with Orlando about acquiring Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson and center Jake Voskuhl for McGrady.

It's unlikely that any team would trade for McGrady unless he agrees to a contract extension, which gives him considerable leverage in where he could be traded.

Dealing McGrady might require a team to practically gut its lineup, but some might be willing if it meant adding a superstar who would make them title contenders. He was named to the All-NBA first team in both 2002 and 2003, holds two scoring titles and is recognized widely as one of the league's five best players.

In Indiana, McGrady would be an excellent match with good friend O'Neal. In Houston, he would be a perfect complement to Chinese center Yao Ming. In Phoenix, he would team with forward Amare Stoudemire, also a Central Florida native.

Even if McGrady indicates he wants out of Orlando, it might take a while to make a deal before next season.

"The Magic won't make a deal now unless it's really a great one for them," said one NBA source. "I don't think they have to just yet. They might not do anything because they won't get anyone back as good as he is."

The McGrady saga -- one way or another -- is nearing its climax.

"I'm an optimist," DeVos laughed. "I still think Grant Hill is coming back and will play great."

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

rickortreat

The T-Mac Saga Begins!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 03:01:31 PM »
No way would Indiana give up that much.  They're too close now to blow up their team.  Also McGrady wants to go to a team with a shot at the title, there's no point in going to a team that guts itself to get him, he'd be in the same situation in a different city.

How about a trade for Kobe?  That might make sense for both teams.

Orlando has to be realistic about how much they can get for him, if they ask for too much McGrady will nix the deal.  I don't blame him for wanting to leave, Orlando has had a lot of time to build around T-Mac and they haven't gotten it done.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
The T-Mac Saga Begins!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 03:12:29 PM »
rt,

i made the same mistake yesterday.  After seeing Kobme in the finals you still i.d. him as a laker.  He is at this moment a free agent, can sign with anyone and that team does not have to give squat back to LaLa.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
The T-Mac Saga Begins!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 03:46:18 PM »
Artest, Harrington, Bender, and Tinsley for McGrady & Howard.

If I am Indy I do this in a heartbeat.  Ron Artest is the only quality player you lose.  Bender has been in the league for what 6 years, and has he ever shown anything?  Tinsley is a dime a dozen PG.  So it is Harrington for Howard and Artest for McGrady.  Indy gets better in a hurry.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

rickortreat

The T-Mac Saga Begins!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 03:50:56 PM »
Reality, I did know that about Kobe, but I'm not sure what he wants to do about staying or going.  LA has Shaq, and he has his endorsements out there, everything.  But if he decides to leave, will he necessarily blow off the Lakers?  Maybe he should as it will give him the freedom to go anywhere.   Only problem is who has the money to pay him, that can also give him a shot at the title?

Definitely not Orlando!  :D  

A team like Philly would be glad to shed a couple of players, but I can't see him and Iverson in the same backcourt. And, even with him, they're not a sure thing.

Maybe as a free agent he'd go to NJ, or Houston.  That would give him a good shot at the title, and be the best way to get back at Shaq.  

The T-Mac Saga Begins!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 06:44:35 PM »
If I am Indy I do this in a heartbeat. Ron Artest is the only quality player you lose. Bender has been in the league for what 6 years, and has he ever shown anything? Tinsley is a dime a dozen PG. So it is Harrington for Howard and Artest for McGrady. Indy gets better in a hurry.

Juwann Howard is a looser.  Where has he ever won or performed in the NBA?  No way would I let him on my team.

Artest would be a better player if he wasn't such a headcase.  If I was Walsh I'd treat him to some psychotherapy.  Tinsley is a fair PG, better than a lot of them.  Good PG's are in rare supply in the league, so IMO he's worth more than you think.

You do have a point about Bender, if he hasn't done it by yr. 6 he probably won't.  Indy would loose a lot of continuity in the trade.  Truth is, IMO that if Jermain was health they might have beaten Detroit and ended up in the finals.  They, however, would have lost to LA.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
The T-Mac Saga Begins!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 06:51:51 PM »
Reality, I did know that about Kobe, but I'm not sure what he wants to do about staying or going.
But if you are a team seeking Kobe, why give the Flamers a player in trade?  Tell them to blow, that Kobe is a FA.

As a FA, why should Kobme want to help the very Laker team that he is going to try to beat?  Tell them to blow that he is off to another team to seek a title with them.  Hasta la Vista.

I guess if a bidding war starts for Kobme that is where teams will try to one up each others offer by offering the Flamers a player or players and thus accepting a sign n trade deal.  Boy that reeks.  Would love to see the entire league tell the Lakers to get bent, don't offer a thing to the Lakers.  Like they need more gifts.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
The T-Mac Saga Begins!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 07:15:22 PM »
If I am Indy I do this in a heartbeat. Ron Artest is the only quality player you lose. Bender has been in the league for what 6 years, and has he ever shown anything? Tinsley is a dime a dozen PG. So it is Harrington for Howard and Artest for McGrady. Indy gets better in a hurry.

Juwann Howard is a looser.  Where has he ever won or performed in the NBA?  No way would I let him on my team.

Artest would be a better player if he wasn't such a headcase.  If I was Walsh I'd treat him to some psychotherapy.  Tinsley is a fair PG, better than a lot of them.  Good PG's are in rare supply in the league, so IMO he's worth more than you think.

You do have a point about Bender, if he hasn't done it by yr. 6 he probably won't.  Indy would loose a lot of continuity in the trade.  Truth is, IMO that if Jermain was health they might have beaten Detroit and ended up in the finals.  They, however, would have lost to LA.
Would you give up T-mac for Artest and Tinsley tho?  Orlando could benefit from the defense Artest brings and Tinsley's play at the PG but Indy is giving up their best defender and the PG who has played with these guys for a few years and knows their spots to deliver the ball.  To me you are giving up a versatile defender and someone who can run the Indy offense better than most of the other PGs in the league for a guy who can score at will.  I know Indy needed points badly in the Pistons series but as all of us can see that was more about the Pistons defense than it was the lack of offensive scoring power.

I would love to see T-mac goto Houston to play with Yao and have Van Gundy beat some defense into his head.  I can only imagine what kind of player T-mac could be if he applied himself at the defensive end each night.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 07:17:00 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The T-Mac Saga Begins!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 08:10:50 PM »
Reality, I did know that about Kobe, but I'm not sure what he wants to do about staying or going.
But if you are a team seeking Kobe, why give the Flamers a player in trade?  Tell them to blow, that Kobe is a FA.

As a FA, why should Kobme want to help the very Laker team that he is going to try to beat?  Tell them to blow that he is off to another team to seek a title with them.  Hasta la Vista.

I guess if a bidding war starts for Kobme that is where teams will try to one up each others offer by offering the Flamers a player or players and thus accepting a sign n trade deal.  Boy that reeks.  Would love to see the entire league tell the Lakers to get bent, don't offer a thing to the Lakers.  Like they need more gifts.
I guess you know as much about NBA money as you do about the game itself.

Kobe cannot get as much money or as long a contract from any other team as he can from the Lakers.  Hence all the sign and trade talk.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
The T-Mac Saga Begins!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 08:39:48 PM »

Kobe cannot get as much money or as long a contract from any other team as he can from the Lakers.  Hence all the sign and trade talk.
Step out of Krishnadom for a few.

If no other teams offer them sign and trade then guess what, Kobme and your beloved Flamers do not get a sign and trade.  Now i will say a sign n trade with the Clippers will be okay with me.

That was my point.  I acknowledged they probably will tho to get your marketing boi.

On the defensive Flamers........ :fire:

Do some wheatgrass and yogalates.  Look at RobL.  :bounce:  :wave:  
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 08:42:07 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The T-Mac Saga Begins!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 10:32:13 PM »

Kobe cannot get as much money or as long a contract from any other team as he can from the Lakers.  Hence all the sign and trade talk.
Step out of Krishnadom for a few.

If no other teams offer them sign and trade then guess what, Kobme and your beloved Flamers do not get a sign and trade.  Now i will say a sign n trade with the Clippers will be okay with me.

That was my point.  I acknowledged they probably will tho to get your marketing boi.

On the defensive Flamers........ :fire:

Do some wheatgrass and yogalates.  Look at RobL.  :bounce:  :wave:
That WAS your point??   :blink:

mmmmmkay....weatgrass on the brain I guess.  :crazy:

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
The T-Mac Saga Begins!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 10:34:10 PM »
Kupchak said the Lakers will offer Bryant the maximum contract allowable, and wouldn't make a sign-and-trade deal even if he plans to leave.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1824147

Are you getting ready to be the Master once again?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The T-Mac Saga Begins!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 01:00:03 AM »
Kupchak said the Lakers will offer Bryant the maximum contract allowable, and wouldn't make a sign-and-trade deal even if he plans to leave.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1824147

Are you getting ready to be the Master once again?
Try and keep up kido!

http://www.phillyarena.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=869
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
The T-Mac Saga Begins!
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 07:10:05 AM »
I'd already read that on ESPN.com

Are you wanting to be Southern Californias "Breaking Kobe News 1st, guaranteed" ala Vic the Brick n Mychele Thompson?

Lets see we post why should another team give the Lakers players, why not instead hold out and simply sign him as a FA.  You post because of the sign n trade Kobme could get more money and state that is the only course in which Kobme will be traded.  (As if other teams give a rats that Kobme gets max.)  Kupchake says he won't do a sign n trade.

Thanks for making my point card?  B)  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
The T-Mac Saga Begins!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 08:36:56 AM »
But if you are a team seeking Kobe, why give the Flamers a player in trade?

There are numerous reasons for a sign and trade.

From the Lakers standpoint:
1) They can get something in return for him.
From Kobe's standpoint:
1) It increases the maximum amount of dollars he can get.  We're not talking a small margin.  We're talking the difference between a 6 year, 98 million deal to a 7 year, 132 million deal.  For the mathematically challenged, that's 34 million kobe is giving up by trying to screw his old team.  high price.
2) It increases the number of teams Kobe can go to.  No longer do you need to find a team under the cap to trade to.  You increase your # of teams you can go to from 3 to 28.
from the other teams perspective:
1) Teams that are not under the cap, and thus not in the kobe sweepstakes, can now get him.

a sign and trade can help all parties.