Author Topic: Hedo the next Michael Jordon??  (Read 3124 times)

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Hedo the next Michael Jordon??
« on: February 17, 2004, 02:06:32 PM »
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Sacramento veterans like to joke with venerable assistant coach Pete Carril about his unwavering infatuation with ex-King Hedo Turkoglu. When Hedo was a King, various vets would routinely tease Carril by asking him to choose the better talent: Hedo or Michael Jordan? Hedo or Magic Johnson? Hedo or Bill Russell?

To this day, the only way to get Carril to vote against Turkoglu is to ask: Hedo or Geoff Petrie? Petrie, of course, played for Carril at Princeton long before he became the Kings' front-office mastermind.

Turkoglu, mind you, doesn't lack for big-name backing in his new city. San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford are longtime admirers of the young Turk, who returned to Arco Arena on Friday night as a visiting player for the first time and scored 13 points. The Spurs wanted Turkoglu in the three-team Brad Miller trade not only for his expiring contract, but also because they hope to lock Hedo up long-term as part of a versatile swing rotation that features Manu Ginobili and Bruce Bowen.

As far back as November, in fact, Pop called Hedo "the key" to San Antonio's season. The Spurs' free-throw woes have since become a bigger key, but three months later, you're finally starting to see what Pop meant.

After a nightmare final season with the Kings, and an even worse summer with the Turkish national team during which his weight fluctuated wildly, Turkoglu is gradually rebuilding his confidence and regaining his aggressiveness. Pop incessantly needles Hedo about rebounding and defense, as he does with everyone wearing silver and black, but the Spurs have also stressed the need for an offensive thrust, desperately lacking good shooting with Steve Kerr and Danny Ferry in retirement and Stephen Jackson in Atlanta.

The result? Turkoglu started slow, his self-belief still smarting from a lost season in Sacto and the blame he took back home for Turkey's disappointing European Championships. Now he's a starter for the Spurs -- in for Ginobili -- who ranked sixth in the league in 3-point shooting (43 percent) entering Friday's homecoming game. Since his promotion to the first five, Turkoglu is averaging 10.3 points on 47 percent shooting, 52 percent on threes. As a reserve, he was shooting 37 percent from the floor and averaging only seven points.

"I don't think they know who they got with Hedo," Kings center Vlade Divac said. "They're lucky. They got a great player. I still think he can be a franchise player."

Said Turkoglu: "Nobody is as lucky as me. I've been with two great teams. Now I have to do the things to stay here (in San Antonio) longer."

Paul

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 02:12:32 PM »
It's just looking good for the Spurs the 2nd half  :D  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 02:50:18 PM »
Please, can we be even remotely serious here?  I am the one who stated that Pop needed to start Turk (I still think he needs to be started in lue of Bowen rather than Manu) rather than bring him off the bench if he wants him to perform -- but to compare him to MJ?  Please!  Turk is going to be a solid role player in this league -- perhaps a little better than that but only Spurs fans would promote the idea that he is any better than that.  This is like me stating that Luke Walton is the next Larry Bird!

Offline kenneth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 03:41:43 PM »
Hedo compared to Michael Jordan  :lol:  Why stop there, we should also list Air Przybilla a close second.  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 03:48:03 PM »
When Hedo was a King, various vets would routinely tease Carril by asking him to choose the better talent: Hedo or Michael Jordan? Hedo or Magic Johnson? Hedo or Bill Russell?

:blink: what part of the story DON"T YOU understand[/size]? :blink:

Paul

jn

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 04:02:09 PM »
101 this reminds me of the old Steve Martin line from Roxanne. "Oh, you were being ironic.   I had to give that up when I moved here.  I got tired of being misunderstood."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 07:16:11 PM »
It's also good to see Randy come out of the fetal position what with his current Lakers situation.  Any good news for Spurs Kings etc that shakes him into an upright postion is good.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 01:29:30 PM »
It's also good to see Randy come out of the fetal position what with his current Lakers situation. Any good news for Spurs Kings etc that shakes him into an upright postion is good.

:lol:   Umm, I haven't been worried about the Lakers yet -- the only concern that I have had at all is whether the Lakers can get healthy by the Finals -- and it appears that Malone is doing just fine in that department these days.  Actually, I don't worry about the Spurs with or without Malone -- we have already proven that we can beat them without all of our superstars.  I do think we will need them to beat the Kings and the TWolves though.

As for the story, it's soooo old that it really lost it's flavor for me.  This story came out a long time ago -- I believe I read something like it when Turk still played for the Kings.  It's hard to believe any coach with Peja on it would ever drool over a different player.  Turk is never going to be half the player Peja is.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 03:01:54 PM »
Not the next Michael Jordon...Larry Bird [/size]maybe... :blink:  
Paul