Author Topic: Condolences, Laker fans.  (Read 4458 times)

jn

Condolences, Laker fans.
« on: June 16, 2004, 10:18:53 AM »
Tough loss guys.  It must be a state of shock for y'all right now with nothing but questions on the horizon.  

It may not be much comfort right now but honestly things could be a lot worse.  If you start feeling down about the Lakers you can always remind yourself how good the organization is by joining WOW at a Clippers game.

In retrospect the previous two series victories were fool's gold.  A miracle deflated the Spurs.  Who knows what happens if that rims out?  

One thing we do know is that allowed the Lakers oldsters to get some much needed rest.  With that advantage stealing home court from the point guard deficient Wolves really didn't give a true measure of where the Lakers were at.  The clues were there in the form of two lifeless losses in Mpls.  Unlike previous years this Lakers squad just didn't have what it takes to go into another teams home and take it to them.  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Condolences, Laker fans.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 10:39:36 AM »
Couldn't have said it better myself jn.  
Paul

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Condolences, Laker fans.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 10:53:11 AM »
Ha ha!  The Lakers lost.  Those selfish egotistical self-absorbed brats deserved to be punked.  What a great day for TRUE basketball fans everywhere.  All those Laker jock kissers finally got what they deserved.    :nod:

j/k..... forgot which board I was posting on for a minute.

:cheers: to the classy Laker posters we have here.  Tough way to lose the finals after fighting through tough series in the west.  IMO the Lakers played their best ball against the Spurs.  They were at their most active defensively and the role players stepped up when needed.  One can only wonder what would have happened if that 1/2 second turned out differently.

Then with Minny missing their 2 point guards the Lakers still had enough to pull out that series.  Malone proved how valuable he was vs KG & Duncan.

The age of the core team (reflected in stamina & injuries) as well as lack of experience by many reserves finally caught up with the Lakers vs Detroit.  They fought hard at times but it was obvious just couldn't hang with a deeper, more athletic Piston team.

Side note:  Last year when SA shut down NJ defensively it was a boring series to watch.  This year Detroit shuts down LA defensively and no one complains about boredom.  Hmmmmm?

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
Condolences, Laker fans.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 11:00:27 AM »
Ha ha!  The Lakers lost.  Those selfish egotistical self-absorbed brats deserved to be punked.  What a great day for TRUE basketball fans everywhere.  All those Laker jock kissers finally got what they deserved.    :nod:

j/k..... forgot which board I was posting on for a minute.

:cheers: to the classy Laker posters we have here.  Tough way to lose the finals after fighting through tough series in the west.  IMO the Lakers played their best ball against the Spurs.  They were at their most active defensively and the role players stepped up when needed.  One can only wonder what would have happened if that 1/2 second turned out differently.

Then with Minny missing their 2 point guards the Lakers still had enough to pull out that series.  Malone proved how valuable he was vs KG & Duncan.

The age of the core team (reflected in stamina & injuries) as well as lack of experience by many reserves finally caught up with the Lakers vs Detroit.  They fought hard at times but it was obvious just couldn't hang with a deeper, more athletic Piston team.

Side note:  Last year when SA shut down NJ defensively it was a boring series to watch.  This year Detroit shuts down LA defensively and no one complains about boredom.  Hmmmmm?
Haven't you figure it out yet...the championship series is only boring when the Lakers aren't playing. After all, everyone expected the Lakers to win. San Antonio is too smalltime to compete with the likes of glamorous (cough-cough) LA. It has to do with demographics.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Condolences, Laker fans.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 11:33:59 AM »
Tough loss guys.  It must be a state of shock for y'all right now with nothing but questions on the horizon.

Hmmmm...didn't take long for revisionist history to crop up.

It may not be much comfort right now but honestly things could be a lot worse.  If you start feeling down about the Lakers you can always remind yourself how good the organization is by joining WOW at a Clippers game.

Uhmm...year right, the Clips can't compare in regards to titles to the Wolves.  :crazy:  LOL!  Going to the Clips games IS about seeing teams like the Wolves/Kings/Lakers/Pacers/Mavs.  The Clips are two players away from sneaking into the playoffs.  I will probably cancel my season tickets if the Clips don't make any significant offseason moves.

In retrospect the previous two series victories were fool's gold.  A miracle deflated the Spurs.  Who knows what happens if that rims out?

BS!  Get a clue.  When healthy the Lakers showed the Spurs and LUCKY Wolves were their place was in this league.  The Wolves were lucky that Webber was hurt, otherwise they're done in the second round.  Alot can be said about what kind of team the Wolves could have been had Hudson been healthy or if Cassell had been able to make it through the playoffs so on't give me some poorly thought out rational about fool's gold when it was a very different Laker team in the finals than the WC playoffs.  Losing Malone was huge as was having Fisher getting hurt yet the Lakers were lucky in the previous two series?  Why is that?  Can't be about injuries RIGHT?

One thing we do know is that allowed the Lakers oldsters to get some much needed rest.  With that advantage stealing home court from the point guard deficient Wolves really didn't give a true measure of where the Lakers were at.  The clues were there in the form of two lifeless losses in Mpls.  Unlike previous years this Lakers squad just didn't have what it takes to go into another teams home and take it to them.

BS!  Think a couple of moves before you post.  You cannot use the EXCUSE of injuries regarding the Wolves and NOT give the Lakers the same excuse.  Please think before posting.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Condolences, Laker fans.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 11:41:24 AM »
BS!  Get a clue.  When healthy the Lakers showed the Spurs  were their place was in this league.
BS!  When healthy the Lakers showed the Spurs they could play even.  Each won 2 games on their home courts.  Then in a very even game the Spurs pulled out a game with a lucky last second shot on their home court only to have it topped by an even luckier last 1/2 second shot.  Game 6 was a forgone conclusion after that.  The emotional roller coaster of those final 2 seconds in SA would have devastated any team.

The Lakers did not "show" the Spurs anything....except maybe that fate was on their side this year.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Condolences, Laker fans.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 11:50:17 AM »
Then in a very even game the Spurs pulled out a game with a lucky last second shot on their home court only to have it topped by an even luckier last 1/2 second shot.
Exactly, it took a LUCKY shot by the Spurs to give them a shot at the win.  That was the Lakers game and just like Shaq said, one lucky shot deserved another.

Thanks for proving my point.  Bunch of checker players around here!  :nonono:  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Condolences, Laker fans.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 11:53:15 AM »
Then in a very even game the Spurs pulled out a game with a lucky last second shot on their home court only to have it topped by an even luckier last 1/2 second shot.
Exactly, it took a LUCKY shot by the Spurs to give them a shot at the win.  That was the Lakers game and just like Shaq said, one lucky shot deserved another.

Thanks for proving my point.  Bunch of checker players around here!  :nonono:
Yeah that really showed the Spurs....they were totally dominated by the Lakers.  :hail:

What about Kobe's lucky shot to avoid a finals sweep?
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Condolences, Laker fans.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 11:58:09 AM »
Yeah that really showed the Spurs....they were totally dominated by the Lakers. 

Lakers dominated the Spurs to the tune of four strait wins.

What about Kobe's lucky shot to avoid a finals sweep?

LOL!  You're so weak.  What does that have to do with the Spurs?  

Stick to checkers, I'm done with you pendejo!  :bash:

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Condolences, Laker fans.
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 12:11:39 PM »
Haven't you figure it out yet...the championship series is only boring when the Lakers aren't playing. After all, everyone expected the Lakers to win. San Antonio is too smalltime to compete with the likes of glamorous (cough-cough) LA. It has to do with demographics. [/quote]
 You have to throw in the little dig huh Jordan? Couldn't be gracious in victory huh? Oh wait, your team has to win something before that would apply to you, or are you jumping ship and becoming a Piston's fan now?

In response to your question BBF, I thought the same thing last night as I watched one of the most impressive defensive performances I had ever seen and I have a couple of thoughts, and I am not knocking the Spurs, just stating what I think is the differnence between them and the Pistons.

1. The Spurs never look inspired or energetic, they don't play exciting basketball, it has nothing to do with their "small market" status or anything to do with them being from Texas, it has to do with Popovich's unbelievably boring defensive and offensive schemes, there is no creativity on either end of the floor and that is one reason LA beat them, they were able to disrupt the set and staid defense and Popovich made no adjustments, or at least he made too few or incorrect ones, as a result we saw panic in the Spurs, and LA capitalized. You know every time what the Spurs will do, and if you adjust, you can overcome it, because they won't adapt or adjust themselves. The only one that gets creative or plays exciting ball is Ginobili. They're boring, period.

2. Detroit played similar defensive schemes but were never tied to them, they were creative and adaptable, I think Brown saw that letting Shaq and Kobe get theirs while shutting down the rest of the Lakers was a bad plan to stick with the rest of the series and decided Kobe was not going to get his and implemented the perfect measures to effect that decision. Detroit played exciting, creative, energetic (did I say creative?), and inspired defense. They were creative and adaptable (did I say creative?). And they NEVER got rattled except after Kobe's miracle shot in game 2, which lasted all of 5 minutes and they were right back to playing team defense for the next 3, no panic, no nerves, no anything but cold blooded efficiency coupled to emotion and desire. I never saw that in the Spurs and for that matter absolutely never saw it in the Lakers in the Finals.

I hate that LA lost, no question, but Detroit's defense was exciting, Ben Wallace was an animal, and it was an incredible display of what we all know is a fundamental truth, defense wins championships. Their defense is what opened up their offense and they played exciting basketball, it would have been exciting regardless of the opponent, I almost wish it hadn't been LA, cause they were pasted by a clearly more focused and better coached team.

Dan

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
Condolences, Laker fans.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 01:14:41 PM »
Gee, so sorry to hurt your feelings, LakerFan. That was such a mean thing for me to say, wasn't it.  :D

You're right, I don't have to be gracious, LF, because Detroit isn't my team. Yes, I rooted for them in this match-up because I'm tired of hearing people harping on how bad the EC is, and I happen to like the Piston's coach and a couple of their players. But I'm not a bandwagon fan; if I were, you could be sure I'd have been rooting for LA or SA, teams who have already won championships. In fact, on the subject of bandwagoners, I don't think there are any bandwagon fans on this forum, which is a good thing, IMO.  

I have actually been very restrained in my comments on the outcome of this series. The smack (some of which has been quite mean-spirited) being exchanged on this site for the past 4 weeks has been nauseating, to say the least. I am glad that Detroit won, and I won't bother to disguise that. And since I can't do so with any sincerity, I'm not going to offer condolences to the Lakers and their fans. I think the 3 championships that this Laker team has won in recent seasons should be consolation enough.

I stand by my opinion that this series got more attention than last year's series did because LA was in it. I've had co-workers tell me as much. Last year's series lacked the "Hollywood" drama that a series with LA brings, a co-worker told me. I actually think basketball is dramatic enough to not need "Hollywood" drama to make it palatable. But I think I'm in the minority on that opinion. If this had been a Minnesota vs. Detroit (or even Indiana) series, I've no doubt that viewership would have been low...as it was in the SA vs. NJ series last year.  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Condolences, Laker fans.
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004, 01:30:32 PM »
Dan, I disagree.  Brown & Popovich are from the same school on coaching defense.  In fact it is the reason Detroit & SA defenses look so similar.

If you go back and look at stats from last season the Spurs in 5 of the six finals games shot a HIGHER fg% than the rest of the teams averaged for the playoffs.  And they shut down NJ as effeciently as Detroit shut down LA.  And going into this year's finals everyone was commenting on how boring & inefficient Detroit's offense was.  The difference is completely in the media market.  And the perception that the media puts out there for their readers to buy into.  NJ for being a part of the NY media market has never captured the media attention they deserved for thier market size.  And SA is one of the 3 smallest in the league.  Compare that with 2 of the top 10 markets this year and you can see the difference in the ratings and "excitement" factor.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Condolences, Laker fans.
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 03:23:47 PM »
Uhhh the defense the Pistons played against a team that has Kobe, Shaq, Malone, and Payton is a little different than the defense played against such offensive juggernauts as Martin and Jefferson.  Lakers score more points and have more weapons yet were limited to less points.  You SA fans cry too much haha
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Condolences, Laker fans.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 03:36:04 PM »
Uhhh the defense the Pistons played against a team that has Kobe, Shaq, Malone, and Payton is a little different than the defense played against such offensive juggernauts as Martin and Jefferson.  Lakers score more points and have more weapons yet were limited to less points.  You SA fans cry too much haha
Yes Malone was very offensive in the Detroit series.  It makes it much easier to defend the Lakers 5 on 4.

You Laker fans are soooo sensitive.   :cry:  
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Condolences, Laker fans.
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2004, 03:40:16 PM »
That's cool Jordan, you can equate Laker fans with the team itself and be ungracious toward us, never mind I offered you and JoMal condolences when your Kings lost, same to Spurs and Wolves fans when they lost and they turned right around and offered the same to us Laker fans. You can disrespect the team all you want, but gracious in a reciprocal manner to the fans (not the team) is not the same thing, although it seems to be beyond you, even Reality was more gracious than you, how bad is that?

BTW, you didn't hurt my feelings, it's just basketball, I dind't lose any sleep over the loss, you just showed a side of you I've suspected all along.
Dan