Author Topic: The better team won  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
The better team won
« on: June 16, 2004, 12:42:27 AM »
No excuses, Detroit outplayed LA in every way you can enumerate, they were better, they were more hungry, they were more energetic. Props to the Pistons.

I'm dizzy with the thoughts of what off-season moves are coming, and I'm settling in for a couple of years of mediocrity for the greatest NBA franchise to ever play the game.

One more thing, if this series didn't prove what I have been saying all along, that Phil Jackson is the most overrated coach in the NBA nothing ever will, Lary Brown humiliated him tonight.
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
The better team won
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 12:56:08 AM »
Nothing but props for that post.

Exxcept the greatest franchise part.  ;)  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
The better team won
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 01:10:06 AM »
No excuses, Detroit outplayed LA in every way you can enumerate, they were better, they were more hungry, they were more energetic. Props to the Pistons.

I'm dizzy with the thoughts of what off-season moves are coming, and I'm settling in for a couple of years of mediocrity for the greatest NBA franchise to ever play the game.

One more thing, if this series didn't prove what I have been saying all along, that Phil Jackson is the most overrated coach in the NBA nothing ever will, Lary Brown humiliated him tonight.
Props to the D.  They clearly dominated the Lakers for 5 straight games.  Really it should have been a sweep if it wasnt for Kobe's 3.  I cannot complain when I get to watch great defense.  Its always been my thing so as painfull as it was to see the Lakers loose I enjoyed the Pistons defense.  The off-season is going to be a doozy for the Lakers and the Laker nation.  I cant imagine what is going to happen....other than Kobe going to the Knicks.

I dont think Phil Jackson is overrated.  His team was clearly out matched and short handed in the post against 2 very good post players.  He cannot be on the floor and make them shuffle their feet, rebound, and hit shots.  Its hard to make adjustments when you have 2 powerforwards hurt, 2 SFs hurt, a non existant defensive PG and you have rookies comming into an elimination game because you are forced to play them.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 01:11:42 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
The better team won
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 06:54:45 AM »
2 small forwards hurt?

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
The better team won
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 09:31:03 AM »
Phil already said he wasn't going to be back next year...
Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
The better team won
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 09:38:17 AM »
2 small forwards hurt?
Rick Fox and George.  Rick has problems with his shoulder and George is on a bad wheel.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
The better team won
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 09:39:24 AM »
Phil already said he wasn't going to be back next year...
Jeanie Buss was on the radio a few weeks ago and said there was a 99% chance Phil Jackson will return.  Ill take his girlfriends word for it over what some sports writer heard from someone who heard from someone who kinda sorta knows PJ.

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
The better team won
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 09:46:12 AM »
Phil didn't say he definitely would not return, he used the term "slim chance". But it was right after the game, and a few weeks of reflection could make a big difference in that decision. Thinking back to last season, after the Jazz were eliminated in the playoffs and Stockton announced he was retiring, Sloan really sounded like he was planning to retire, but ultimately decide not to.  

OUTSIDER

The better team won
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 09:46:20 AM »
>Jeanie Buss was on the radio a few weeks ago and said there was a 99% chance Phil Jackson will return. Ill take his girlfriends word for it over what some sports writer heard from someone who heard from someone who kinda sorta knows PJ.

She belongs to Lakers organization first, then the girlfriend role next.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The better team won
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 11:05:52 AM »
In all honestly if the Lakers manage hold on to Kobe I don't foresee mediocratiy (I don't see it cause I can't spell it).  With Kobe and Shaq the Lakers have a shot.  I would love for Karl to give it another go.  Cook would be a decent 3rd string back up but the Lakers do need to go after a legit back up C/PF player.  Horace was a selfish waste, he cost the Lakers a playoff roster spot.  Kareem is a decent back-up 2 if the Lakers hold onto Kobe.   George at the 3 spot is a disgrace, he's such a useless meat head.  Walton is about 2 years away from being a starter so the SF is a question mark.  The biggest issue will be the PG spot.  Payton is clearly not suited to play along side bigger and better superstars.  The Lakers need a hard working PG with a respectable outside shot.  After 5 foot surgeries Fisher is no longer starting material, I still believe he's a decent back up.

The biggest problem for the Lakers will be trying to keep pace with the Spurs and Wolves.  The Kings, Rockets and Mavs won't be getting any easier either.  The Mavs could blow up as well but there will still be at least four major obstacles for the Lakers to return to glory.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
The better team won
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 11:27:10 AM »
You truly do live in lalaland if you haven't figure out yet that there is no way that Shaq and Kobe can effectively play together for a whole playoff season...let alone a whole season. Kobe won't continue to play in Shaq's shadow, and Shaq is never going to yield his role as #1 to Kobe. They may make up and play nice for a while, but the truth is these two players resent each other. Too much has been said and done over the years. One of them has to go, and ultimately, I think Kobe will walk because the Lakers are not going to let Shaq go yet. Shaq may not be the best (skills-wise), but he is still the most dominant, big man in the game.

If Shaq has gotten fatter, lazier, and more apathetic with each progressive season, it's because the Lakers (and Phil Jackson) have enabled to him to do so. They've made the 82-game regular season into a 60-game one for him based on his sham injuries. (Sure didn't look like he was having any toe problems this season, did it?)  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The better team won
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004, 11:33:23 AM »
You truly do live in lalaland if you haven't figure out yet that there is no way that Shaq and Kobe can effectively play together for a whole playoff season...let alone a whole season.
Three rings say otherwise in LaLa land.  They've shown they can get it together in the playoffs in the past.  There is not doubt there are problems between the two but they've been able to handle it, you'd have to go back to MJ/Pip to find a pair that's had as much success as the Lakers.  Champs like SA and Detriot can't say as much and pretenders like Minny, Sac and Dallas can't say anthing at all.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
The better team won
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 12:05:31 PM »
You truly do live in lalaland if you haven't figure out yet that there is no way that Shaq and Kobe can effectively play together for a whole playoff season...let alone a whole season.
Three rings say otherwise in LaLa land.  They've shown they can get it together in the playoffs in the past.  There is not doubt there are problems between the two but they've been able to handle it, you'd have to go back to MJ/Pip to find a pair that's had as much success as the Lakers.  Champs like SA and Detriot can't say as much and pretenders like Minny, Sac and Dallas can't say anthing at all.
Perhaps I should have qualified my comment to say "can effectively play together for a whole playoff season anymore". They've won championships in the past because Kobe has been willing to yield leadership to Shaq, as he has been instructed to do so for the good of the team. But I think Kobe is fed up with yielding leadership to a guy with the work ethic of Shaq.

You can live in the past, if you like. The Lakers do have a rich history of winning...as do the Celtics and the Bulls. Their fan should relish those victories, but they are still in the past. I'm talking about the future. Teams like San Antonio and Detroit are only beginning to build their histories. And while I think Sacramento and Dallas have played like wanna-be champions for the past 3 seasons, without bringing the defense and disciplined approach that is needed, I would not put Minnesota in that group. I think they are a genuine contender in the WC and will be for seasons to come. To go from first-round knock-offs to playing in the WC finals this season was still a BIG accomplishment for Minnesota.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The better team won
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 12:18:21 PM »
Perhaps I should have qualified my comment to say "can effectively play together for a whole playoff season anymore". They've won championships in the past because Kobe has been willing to yield leadership to Shaq, as he has been instructed to do so for the good of the team. But I think Kobe is fed up with yielding leadership to a guy with the work ethic of Shaq.

You can live in the past, if you like. The Lakers do have a rich history of winning...as do the Celtics and the Bulls. Their fan should relish those victories, but they are still in the past. I'm talking about the future. Teams like San Antonio and Detroit are only beginning to build their histories. And while I think Sacramento and Dallas have played like wanna-be champions for the past 3 seasons, without bringing the defense and disciplined approach that is needed, I would not put Minnesota in that group. I think they are a genuine contender in the WC and will be for seasons to come. To go from first-round knock-offs to playing in the WC finals this season was still a BIG accomplishment for Minnesota.
"anymore" is a debatable point and COMPLETELY changes your argument.

Minny has a shot at a title for a few more years but Spree and SamIAm are not all that young.  SA on the otherhand is poised to dominate like the Lakers did early in the new millenium and are young enough to do what he Lakers were able to accomplish in the 80's.  

Sactown IMO missed thier window, I don't see the current team doing anything with it's core players with the Likes of SA, LA and Minny in the west.

If Kobe/Shaq can hold it together they have to be considered contendors, not as strong as SA but as good as the rest.  Upgrade the roles players and I might start thinking parade.  Of course most of that depends on Kobe leaving or staying.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"