Author Topic: X3, a follow up to our defense spending discussion  (Read 1155 times)

jn

X3, a follow up to our defense spending discussion
« on: June 15, 2004, 02:49:05 PM »
A month or two back we were discussing the amount by which the U.S. military outspends other countries.   The figures for last year have been tallied.  Approximately $960 billion was spent worldwide.  The U.S. spent approximately
%47 percent of that.

Number to was Japan, who spent %5 of that total.  That sounded really strange to me at first since their mission to Iraq was the first time they have sent soldiers abroad since WWII.  It makes sense though if you figure they also have the world's number 2 economy and probably have a lot of high dollar items.

No other country reached the %5 mark, though a couple reached %4.  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 02:54:30 PM »
A month or two back we were discussing the amount by which the U.S. military outspends other countries.   The figures for last year have been tallied.  Approximately $960 billion was spent worldwide.  The U.S. spent approximately
%47 percent of that.

Number to was Japan, who spent %5 of that total.  That sounded really strange to me at first since their mission to Iraq was the first time they have sent soldiers abroad since WWII.  It makes sense though if you figure they also have the world's number 2 economy and probably have a lot of high dollar items.

No other country reached the %5 mark, though a couple reached %4.
i remember that. i wanted to ask how much of that spending amount on our US budget goes to benefits?  the gi bill?  housing, provisions for family, contractors on us bases - which i worked as myself, and i know there are A LOT of contractors on the base i was at.  how much of the spending amoutn actually goes to that?  could you answer that?  seriously, not trying to BS, i would hate to think the incredible amount we spend goes towards ONLY war machines.  I would like to think we have diversified spending  in our military to help the families out considering how little they make.  isnt there housing stipends?  could be wrong.  bt do other countries provide as much for thier military as we do or is this kind of spending handled through other departments of govt that would not show such amounts on a military spending bill?
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 04:58:16 PM »
My apologies, those figures are from 2004, not 2003.  Here's a sample breakdown of where the money goes.  This doesn not include 19 billion for Nuclear Weapons (which is part of the Dept. of Energy) and 10 Billion for the  missile defense program.  

FUNDING BY FUNCTION  

Military Personnel - $98.6 billion (6 percent increase)
Operations & Maintenance - $117.0 billion (3 percent increase)
Procurement - $72.7 billion (4 percent increase)
Research & Development - $61.8 billion (9 percent increase)
Military Construction - $5.0 billion (21 percent decrease)
Housing - $4.0 billion (5 percent decrease)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 05:04:31 PM »
My apologies, those figures are from 2004, not 2003.  Here's a sample breakdown of where the money goes.  This doesn not include 19 billion for Nuclear Weapons (which is part of the Dept. of Energy) and 10 Billion for the  missile defense program.  

FUNDING BY FUNCTION  

Military Personnel - $98.6 billion (6 percent increase)
Operations & Maintenance - $117.0 billion (3 percent increase)
Procurement - $72.7 billion (4 percent increase)
Research & Development - $61.8 billion (9 percent increase)
Military Construction - $5.0 billion (21 percent decrease)
Housing - $4.0 billion (5 percent decrease)
pay seems out of whack I think considering the low wages these guys get.

r&d
procurement
and military construction all seem like questionable amounts for spending though.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.