Author Topic: Much props to Detroit  (Read 2295 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Much props to Detroit
« on: June 13, 2004, 10:54:39 PM »
Frustrated.  Pissed.  Even bitter.  I wont lie.  Im down right mad.  I could bitch about the refs but Im not going to.  No reason.  They're not the real reason the Lakers have lost these games.     I could also bring up excuses like Karl Malone, the key player on the squad in the playoffs, was less than 60%.  But that wouldnt even be a good excuse.   Winning in the playoffs is about playing thru things like that.   I have to give it up to the Pistons for being the better team by far.  Every single game this series was Pistons basketball and really they should have swept this Lakers team....who will now go down as the most overrated team in history :lol: As usual the best team wins and everything from the players to the coaching staff was better for Detroit.  Ill still be wearing my Laker shirt to work tommorow.  I liked em before they were winning championships and I will continue to like them even in a rebuilding year next year.  LB and his staff 'served' Jackson and Co.  where were the adjustments or were the counters just that much better?

Dabods,Rick...my crow tastes great.  Its all about the dry rub ;)  Jn, 101, Lurker, x3....I know you guys are pissed because your teams would have done a much better job against this Pistons squad and you know it.  Matchups are  a muh#$@#$.  SA would have been the better matchup IMO.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 11:03:19 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Much props to Detroit
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 11:37:54 PM »
There are tons of things I could bitch about BUT the biggest difference in game 4 was the play of Kobe and Rasheed.   Those two guys are the MAIN reason the game turned out the way it did.  After the terrible play in the last 3 minutes I wouldn't let Phil Jackson coach my kid's little league team.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Much props to Detroit
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 07:29:22 AM »
There are tons of things I could bitch about BUT the biggest difference in game 4 was the play of Kobe and Rasheed.   Those two guys are the MAIN reason the game turned out the way it did.  After the terrible play in the last 3 minutes I wouldn't let Phil Jackson coach my kid's little league team.
all i can say is i THOUGHT the Lakers would win............

DAMN GOOD THING I WAS NEVER GOOD AT GAMBLING!!! :alcohol:

To see the defense yet again beat la two years in a row is excellent, even if it isnt the spurs defense, detroit really turned it up this season and should be proud to be the first eastern conference nba champion in years.  one more game to go we got ourselves a new champ!

I will say that match up wise, i think SA couldve taken Detroit, but thats the way it goes, we couldnt beat superman and friends this season but it is GOOD to see a NEW champion.  great job Detroit.  My crow is almost ready and i CANT WAIT TO EAT IT!!

PS dont go burning down the city just becuase you won the title!  :D
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Much props to Detroit
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 08:15:08 AM »
Makes a difference when you are allowed to be hand checked and pushed on the way to the basket with no calls.  No conspiracy theory here but how does a defender who uses his hands alot play one of the best one on one players in the league and not pick up a foul for 35 minutes.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Much props to Detroit
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 08:17:35 AM »
LA fans: Quit whining. "WAAAAAAA, my pussy(cat) HURTS!!!!"

Arse whoopin, plain and simple.
Paul

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Much props to Detroit
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 08:25:21 AM »
And I guess this means that O'Neal, Bryant, Rick Fox, Derek Fisher and Devean George will FINALLY be the starting 5 tomorrow?

Something has to be done.
Paul

rickotreat

Much props to Detroit
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 11:29:46 AM »
Bwaaahhaaahaaa :nod:

I almost feel sorry for the Lakers and their fans out there, but after having casued so much pain and heartache for other teams and fans around the league, not only with all the winning, but the smug arrogance of Shaq and Kobe, I'd much prefer to revel in the joy of seeing an EC team finally getting the upper hand in a Championship series.

The big question now is will the Lakers roll over and die, or show up with Laker pride for Game 5.  They're backs are against the wall, do they have enything left? I wanted to see an entertaining series above all.  The most exciting game was the Laker win, with the miraculous come back OT win thanks to a last second Kobe Trey. The rest of them have been pretty tough to watch for LA fans.

So far, all the games have been at Piston tempo.  LA can't play this style and win.  They need to force an up-tempo game to have a chance, amazeingly because Detroit has been more effective in half-court sets!  The problem is LA doesn't play up tempo, do they? This has been the biggest revelation of the series, that a team of role players with a few above average has been able to outscore LA in a half-court.  I can't remember when a team led by a dominant big man has been overcome, with the exeption of the Bulls championships.  And, you can't really blame in on Shaq, but his surrounding cast.  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Much props to Detroit
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 12:02:04 PM »
:hail: Talk about the end of the dynasty. Nice run while it lasted, but to go out like this must be heartwrenching for Lakerfans. Seriously. Heaven knows what team LA will put together next year.

LA will really miss Jerry West this Summer.
Paul

Guest_Randy

Much props to Detroit
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 03:13:52 PM »
Props to Detroit on the win -- they definately have handed it to the Lakers and the Lakers have simply failed to respond.  Can't say that I am happy about it but the best team always wins the series.  Congrats.

Guest_Randy

Much props to Detroit
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 03:25:28 PM »
I almost feel sorry for the Lakers and their fans out there, but after having casued so much pain and heartache for other teams and fans around the league, not only with all the winning, but the smug arrogance of Shaq and Kobe, I'd much prefer to revel in the joy of seeing an EC team finally getting the upper hand in a Championship series.

You know the comments aobut Shaq and Kobe's "smug arrogance" would be a LOT easier to stomach if you weren't a fan of the Sixers and AI.  At least Kobe and Shaq are both top 10 players in this league -- AI isn't!  Kobe and Shaq AREN'T the reason the Lakers are losing this series.

So far, all the games have been at Piston tempo. LA can't play this style and win. They need to force an up-tempo game to have a chance, amazeingly because Detroit has been more effective in half-court sets! The problem is LA doesn't play up tempo, do they? This has been the biggest revelation of the series, that a team of role players with a few above average has been able to outscore LA in a half-court. I can't remember when a team led by a dominant big man has been overcome, with the exeption of the Bulls championships. And, you can't really blame in on Shaq, but his surrounding cast.

The Lakers don't need to force an up-tempo game to have a chance -- they simply need to knock down wide open shots.  You were wrong before this series started and you are STILL wrong -- the Lakers shooters are better than the Pistons shooters because with the exception of Hamilton and Billups, the Pistons are VERY poor from the outside.  The problem?  The Pistons role players are playing with incredible confidence and the Lakers role players aren't.  It's NOT that the Lakers role players aren't getting wide open looks -- it's just that they don't have any confidence in their shots.  
And you have to give ALL the credit to Brown -- he did the same thing to the Lakers that PJ did to the Spurs several years ago.

First game -- challenge the role player shots -- don't allow them to beat you and get a hand in their face and make them shoot faster.

Second game -- focus on the main guys -- run a defender out at the shooter to make sure they release their shot just a little earlier than normal -- make them shoot a little quicker than they would like.

Third game and following -- double and triple team Kobe -- every time he gets the shot -- sure, the role players are going to have wide open looks but their confidence is shot because of what they did to them in games #1 and #2.

You also forgot to mention several OTHER factors that are just as important if not MORE important than the points you mentioned -- and it has NOTHING to do with up-tempo basketball (something the Lakers DON'T need to play).  The Lakers have relied on three things to win games:  1) defense (their defense would win this series); 2) offense (their offense would be fine if the Lakers role players would knock down open shots) and 3) rebounding!  The Lakers have ALWAYS relied on dominance on the boards and they are getting their butts handed to them in this category -- both on the offensive AND the defensive boards.  And it's not just their big men either -- how many offensive boards does Rip Hamilton have?  Does Prince have?  The Lakers are getting hustled off the court and the Pistons are simply working harder.  Up tempo basketball isn't what the Lakers need to do -- it's playing harder, knocking down the open shot and REBOUNDING the basketball!

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Much props to Detroit
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 04:01:03 PM »
Iverson's not a top 10 player?  Then who, pray tell, are the 10 guys ahead of him?

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

Much props to Detroit
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 05:06:10 PM »
Iverson's not a top 10 player?  Then who, pray tell, are the 10 guys ahead of him?
These are all players who are better than AI, IMO:

1  TD
2  KG
3  Shaq
4  Kobe
5  Dirk Nowitzki
Okay, now I quit numbering and just throw out names:
Jason Kidd
TMac
Baron Davis
Yao Ming
Michael Finley
Rip Hamilton
Jermaine O'Neal

These players are at least just as good -- some are better, IMO:
Ben Wallace
Peja Stojakovic
Rasheed Wallace
Brad Miller
Ray Allen
Richard Jefferson

Does that help, Joe?  AI may be an acrobatic scorer but his FG% is attrocious -- definately proving you too can lead the league if you throw up enough shots.  AI is one of the league leaders in steals but that only helps make up for what he gives up in defense since against most of the SG's in the league, Philly has to double in order to make up for AI's lack of ability in one-on-one D.  AI needs to work on his outside stroke -- he is quick enough to get wide open looks but he isn't good enough as a shooter to make the opposing team pay from the arch.  That's what he would need to do to become a top 10 player in this league, IMO.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Much props to Detroit
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2004, 10:53:12 PM »
TMac
Baron Davis
Yao Ming
Michael Finley
Rip Hamilton
Jermaine O'Neal

Ben Wallace
Peja Stojakovic
Rasheed Wallace
Brad Miller
Ray Allen
Richard Jefferson

I've got Iverson ahead of all of these guys.  EVERY ONE OF 'EM.

Look, I admit the guy's got a bad attitude and bad practice habits, but the guy has been a proven performer in the season and in the playoffs.  His teams have delivered up until this past year.  He's led a team to the NBA Finals, and has been a league MVP.  Like him or not, the guy has gotten it done.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Much props to Detroit
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2004, 12:10:53 PM »
TMac
Baron Davis
Yao Ming
Michael Finley
Rip Hamilton
Jermaine O'Neal

Ben Wallace
Peja Stojakovic
Rasheed Wallace
Brad Miller
Ray Allen
Richard Jefferson

I've got Iverson ahead of all of these guys.  EVERY ONE OF 'EM.

Look, I admit the guy's got a bad attitude and bad practice habits, but the guy has been a proven performer in the season and in the playoffs.  His teams have delivered up until this past year.  He's led a team to the NBA Finals, and has been a league MVP.  Like him or not, the guy has gotten it done.
If AI has another year like this last one then yes maybe you could say those players are better than him.  Some guys do have off years.  Looking at AI's track record he had one bad year, which was this year.  So I say wait till next year and give him the benefit of the doubt.

This year Sheed, Ben, Peja, Rip, and Ming all were better.  There is no doubt about that.

rickortreat

Much props to Detroit
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2004, 01:50:43 PM »
Randy you've got to be kidding!

The Lakers don't need to force an up-tempo game to have a chance -- they simply need to knock down wide open shots. You were wrong before this series started and you are STILL wrong -- the Lakers shooters are better than the Pistons shooters because with the exception of Hamilton and Billups, the Pistons are VERY poor from the outside. The problem? The Pistons role players are playing with incredible confidence and the Lakers role players aren't. It's NOT that the Lakers role players aren't getting wide open looks -- it's just that they don't have any confidence in their shots.
And you have to give ALL the credit to Brown -- he did the same thing to the Lakers that PJ did to the Spurs several years ago.

The Lakers role players bite the big one, precisely because they have no confidence!  They miss wide open shots because they suck. I said this prior to the start of the series, that LA's role players can't get it done.  They're not and that is that!  :nod:

Meanwhile the Pistons, haven't had to rely on outside shooting, since your defenders are a bunch of slow moving stiffs.  Payton is getting embarrassed by Billups and Hamilton.  Malone just can't do it with the injuries.  Everyone else just is being exposed as an average defender. Shaq isn't blocking the middle, because he's the only one the Lakers can rely on to score, and they need to protect him from fouling.  Luke Walton, who was so effective earlier, has been taken out of the series by Detroit picking on him on the offensive end.

Even Kobe is getting squeezed out of the series by the Pistons focusing on him.  If your role players had any ability, they wouldn't be able to get away with this.  In years past, when you had players like Robert Horry, they'd kill your team if you left them open. LA's role players are a bunch of stiffs, Fox is over the hill.  So are Malone and Payton two guys who really shouldn't be starting anymore, but because of LA's lack of talent are.

Better than the Pistons?  Yeah, that's why with two top 10 players they're down 3-1 in the series.   B)