Author Topic: The Kobe Bryant Achievement Thread  (Read 2428 times)

Guest_Ted

The Kobe Bryant Achievement Thread
« on: June 11, 2004, 11:57:46 AM »
Thought this would be a fun thread for some of us.

1. Kobe has won three titles in his first eight years in the league.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 11:59:48 AM »
2. Kobe has managed to score 1 point in ONE HALF of an NBA Finals game. Jordan was never able to do that. Although I do think he had 32 in one half once against some stiff named Clyde. :wave:  
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 12:05:24 PM »
2. Kobe has managed to score 1 point in ONE HALF of an NBA Finals game. Jordan was never able to do that. Although I do think he had 32 in one half once against some stiff named Clyde. :wave:
Clyde was a defensive stopper now?   :rofl:  

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 12:10:09 PM »
  :rofl:
I hate to do this to you Randy, but I'm going to use your own tools against you.

"Clyde was a defensive stopper now?"

PLEASE SHOW ME THE QUOTE WHERE I SPECIFICALLY SAID CLYDE WAS A DEFENSIVE STOPPER!! If you had any reading comprehension you would have been able to infer from my extremely vague comment that I really did believe that Clyde was a stiff.

Damn, that's good! I can get out of any stupid statement I make with that tool!

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 12:59:49 PM »
:rofl:
I hate to do this to you Randy, but I'm going to use your own tools against you.

"Clyde was a defensive stopper now?"

PLEASE SHOW ME THE QUOTE WHERE I SPECIFICALLY SAID CLYDE WAS A DEFENSIVE STOPPER!! If you had any reading comprehension you would have been able to infer from my extremely vague comment that I really did believe that Clyde was a stiff.

Damn, that's good! I can get out of any stupid statement I make with that tool!
How about this, Ted!

PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE I STATED THAT YOU SAID CLYDE WAS A DEFENSIVE STOPPER!  I merely laughed at the fact that you used Clyde as an example of what MJ could do -- MJ lit up quite a few people who WERE impressive defensive specimens, IMO, they would have been better to mention at this point than Clyde the Glide.  MJ did have some games where he was shut down but I don't remember anything as bad as last night was for Kobe.

rickortreat

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 01:01:17 PM »
In fairness to Kobe, MJ never had to ask for the ball, his teamates knew their job was to get it to him though the triangle.  The Lakers aren't running their offense very well at all, and much of it has to do with Detoit's D, but as much has to do with the Lakers poor fundamentals.  Execution on offense takes hard work when the defense is playing you honestly.  How many turnovers did the Lakers have last night?  Hard to get Kobe the ball when you can't take care of it!

Kobe has demonstrated the willingness to take and make pressure shots.  He also works hard on defense and makes some pretty decent passes too.  I don't think he's quite as good as MJ, but he's the closest player to his level since he played.

Of all the Lakers I could criticize, Kobe is well bellow on the list.

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 01:17:37 PM »
Rick,

I agree with most of your post. Kobe is the only Laker who is really bringing it.

My thread is motivated mostly by the fact that I just plain don't like Kobe. :couch:

The one difference I see between MJ and Kobe is shot selection. I think Kobe is right up there with or near Jordan in most other categories. But if you think about it, who else in the league right now takes more bad shots than Kobe?  
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 01:18:53 PM by Ted »

rickortreat

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 01:44:14 PM »
Allen Iverson!  There are others but he is the most eggregious offender by far.

Besides, Kobe really CAN make some of those shots.  As a purist, I don't like to see shots like that taken, but some of the best memories I have are of amazeing shots made by the likes of MJ, Dr. J, and Kobe.  Larry Bird, never tried to make rediculous accrobatic shots like that, but they're less memorable if no less effective.

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 02:14:00 PM »
Allen Iverson!  There are others but he is the most eggregious offender by far.

Besides, Kobe really CAN make some of those shots.  As a purist, I don't like to see shots like that taken, but some of the best memories I have are of amazeing shots made by the likes of MJ, Dr. J, and Kobe.  Larry Bird, never tried to make rediculous accrobatic shots like that, but they're less memorable if no less effective.
I honestly don't agree. I still think for the team he's on, Kobe takes way too many fall away, defender-in-the-face three pointers or needlessly difficult shots than anyone. Of course, I saw a lot more of Kobe on TV than Iverson this year. Maybe, I'm skewed. I guess it could depend on whom you watched more.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 02:23:19 PM »
Allen Iverson!  There are others but he is the most eggregious offender by far.

Besides, Kobe really CAN make some of those shots.  As a purist, I don't like to see shots like that taken, but some of the best memories I have are of amazeing shots made by the likes of MJ, Dr. J, and Kobe.  Larry Bird, never tried to make rediculous accrobatic shots like that, but they're less memorable if no less effective.
I honestly don't agree. I still think for the team he's on, Kobe takes way too many fall away, defender-in-the-face three pointers or needlessly difficult shots than anyone. Of course, I saw a lot more of Kobe on TV than Iverson this year. Maybe, I'm skewed. I guess it could depend on whom you watched more.
Agreed.

The Lakers need TWO points and Kobe goes for the drama THREE.

Drives me nuts.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 02:38:37 PM »
I still think Kobe could have orchestrated a comeback if he had taken the ball to the hoop last night. The only way the Lakers beat the Detroit defense is to make it work, make them switch, break it down by garnering more attention. Drama three pointers won't do it.

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 12:46:32 PM »
Kobe is on the verge of another accomplishment that eluded MJ during his career.

Kobe may just pull it off. Kobe is only one game away from losing an NBA Finals Series, something Jordan was never able to do.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2004, 03:32:33 PM »
Kobe is on the verge of another accomplishment that eluded MJ during his career.

Kobe may just pull it off. Kobe is only one game away from losing an NBA Finals Series, something Jordan was never able to do.
Since you want to harp on it...

Kobe was able keep his wife from filling for divorce after he got busted cheating.  I guess there are no red diamonds for MJ to give to his wife cause she filled to divorce MJ after he got busted cheating.

Does Kobe have gambling issues?  MJ couldn't keep his gambling issues from getting out of control.

Kobe didn't wait around for dominant players like Tim Duncan and KG to get old before winning his first championship.  Kobe also didn't wait around for the league to get watered down before winning his first championship.

Kobe couldn't fold under the pressure of winning titles and retire for two years.

Hmmmm....I wonder if I should put any real effort into this thread?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2004, 04:26:51 PM »
Finally someone bites!

This'll be fun!

"Kobe was able keep his wife from filling for divorce after he got busted cheating.  I guess there are no red diamonds for MJ to give to his wife cause she filled to divorce MJ after he got busted cheating."

From what I've heard, MJ and his wife are still married. And if "getting away with it" is some kind of measure of success with you WoW, then you should be giving props to MJ. He did it, got away with it, and didn't have to buy his wife a $2 mil ring. You usually want to start a post with a strong point bro.

"Does Kobe have gambling issues?  MJ couldn't keep his gambling issues from getting out of control."

Yeah, that gambling really put Jordan in hot water. Remember the time when he was indicted for gambling and on trial for his career and his life, and how his trial screwed up a dream season that began with most of the world ready to give the Bulls the championship before the first pre-season game? Remember that? Gambling . . . BWAAAHAAHAHAHAAAAA!

"Kobe didn't wait around for dominant players like Tim Duncan and KG to get old before winning his first championship.  Kobe also didn't wait around for the league to get watered down before winning his first championship."

Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler, Isaiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Shaquille O'Neal, Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton. Yeah, back in those days, those guys just sucked. Thank God we have Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton to act as the great Laker rivals today, or else we'd think the league is watered down.  Again, I say . . . BWWAAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAAA!!! . . . ahem . . . oh yeah, I forgot to mention one thing. Shaquille O'Neal in his prime as the most dominant center of all time vs. Scottie Pippen, a pretty darn good all-around player.  BWWAAAHAHAHAHAAA!

"Kobe couldn't fold under the pressure of winning titles and retire for two years."

I think you meant to say, Kobe couldn't handle the pressure of losing in the Western Conference Finals so he folded a white girl over the back of a chair.

"Hmmmm....I wonder if I should put any real effort into this thread?"

I definitely think you should, cuz I didn't even break a sweat.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2004, 07:44:47 PM »
Finally someone bites!

This'll be fun!

From what I've heard, MJ and his wife are still married. And if "getting away with it" is some kind of measure of success with you WoW, then you should be giving props to MJ. He did it, got away with it, and didn't have to buy his wife a $2 mil ring. You usually want to start a post with a strong point bro.

I know they're still together, but she did file for divorce.  I guess MJ's woman opted for cash instead of diamonds.

Yeah, that gambling really put Jordan in hot water. Remember the time when he was indicted for gambling and on trial for his career and his life, and how his trial screwed up a dream season that began with most of the world ready to give the Bulls the championship before the first pre-season game? Remember that? Gambling . . . BWAAAHAAHAHAHAAAAA!

Actually it's illegal where he gambled, and it was for big money.  In case you didn't notice, or are in denial, the case against Kobe is crumbling.  Looks like it was all just a bunch of attention grubbing crackers.

Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler, Isaiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, Shaquille O'Neal, Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton. Yeah, back in those days, those guys just sucked. Thank God we have Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton to act as the great Laker rivals today, or else we'd think the league is watered down.  Again, I say . . . BWWAAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAAA!!! . . . ahem . . . oh yeah, I forgot to mention one thing. Shaquille O'Neal in his prime as the most dominant center of all time vs. Scottie Pippen, a pretty darn good all-around player.  BWWAAAHAHAHAHAAA!

I got into a lengthy exchange with Ted regarding the enviroment MJ's Bulls won titles.  I didn't put much effort into the original post, much like your response, so I don't plan on doing it now.

I think you meant to say, Kobe couldn't handle the pressure of losing in the Western Conference Finals so he folded a white girl over the back of a chair.

No I meant what I said, MJ folded.  Went off and played baseball but his ego wouldn't allow him to stay retired.  His ego also brought him back a third time to just embarris himself.

I definitely think you should, cuz I didn't even break a sweat.

Unlike you I'm able to think at any level without sweating, it comes from superior synaptic attributes.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 08:01:48 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"