Author Topic: Bird's comments about white superstars in the NBA  (Read 4058 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Bird's comments about white superstars in the NBA
« on: June 10, 2004, 11:00:23 AM »
I agree with Bird, what he was trying to say anyway, but I'm tired of discussing this topic with irrational idiots so I figured I bring it here and hope no Spurs fans respond.

KNIGHTSTOWN, Ind. -- Larry Bird got visibly embarrassed when the other guys talked about his greatness, then made the stunning disclosure that nothing in basketball offended him more than being guarded by another white guy.

LeBron James started out shy, referring to Larry Legend as Mr. Bird, before gradually speaking with as much conviction as the vets, eventually referring to him simply as Bird.

Magic Johnson predictably did more talking than the three guys to his left, when he wasn't smiling that smile, and Magic even did some of the asking, because he can't stop himself from running everything, even in an interview setting.

Carmelo Anthony, meanwhile, was probably the quietest guy in the foursome, but 'Melo still managed to make a rather memorable promise when he conceded that he and LeBron "don't have stories like these two have stories yet ... but we're gonna get there one day."

Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James talk with Jim Gray during 2-on-2 taping. The show airs on ESPN Thursday at 7 p.m. ET.

'Bron and 'Melo have great stories to tell now, actually, and you'll have the opportunity to see why Thursday night before Game 3 of the NBA Finals. That's when ESPN airs an unprecedented summit called "Two on Two," which brought James and Anthony together with the storied rivals who preceded them by 25 years.

Throughout their shared rookie season, these kids were billed as a modern-day Magic and Bird, ready or not. ESPN's Jim Gray managed to get them all together for the first time, in the jump circle of the famed Hoosier Gym that served as Hickory High's home court in "Hoosiers." What ensued was a wide-ranging discussion, and an experience for 'Bron and 'Melo -- all four, really -- to pass on to their kids.

And a quote for everyone to remember.

"The one thing that always bothered me when I played in the NBA," Bird said, "was I really got irritated when they put a white guy on me. I still don't understand why."

The Scene
On the eve of Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals, the four guests were summoned to this historic spot in the basketball heartland, some 30 miles outside Indianapolis. The setting alone got them juiced.

Bird is accustomed to bleacher-lined gyms like this, having grown up in the heartland, but everyone in the tiny building (capacity: 650) seemed excited to be on Gene Hackman's hardwood. Magic spoke of breaking into similarly tiny gyms in his youth.

"We used to just jimmy that lock and just come on in ... or break the little glass and use a hanger and hit that latch," he said.

Anthony spotted a side basket hanging by wire from the ceiling, and couldn't stop looking at it.

"When I walked in this gym, and I looked at that ball rack, I wanted to shoot one in that hoop," he said. "But I was afraid it might fall."

James beat Anthony to Knightstown by almost an hour, thanks to 'Melo's travel delays from Denver, and right away he spotted up in the corner. Not to mimic Jimmy Chitwood, though. LBJ was pretending to be Bird, showing two traveling pals how well he could copy Bird's behind-the-head release. Like a wannabe musician playing air guitar, James was lofting imaginary jumpers.

The Interaction
James and Anthony, not surprisingly, knew Magic well before the sitdown. LeBron jumped on him immediately, jokingly calling him "Jeff Gordon" in reference to Magic's increasing business presence on the NASCAR circuit. James and Anthony, of course, had no hesitation needling each other -- LeBron predicted his buddy's tardy arrival, saying, "He's always late, running in with his braids flopping."

The surprise? Neither James nor Anthony had spent much time in Bird's presence until now. Combine that with Bird's reluctance in recent years to discuss his playing days on TV, and you can understand why Magic was even more excited than normal for the opportunity.

For James, it was his very first introduction to Mr. Bird. The Pacers' president tried to keep things light, though. After their handshake, Bird quipped: "Don't worry. I've seen him play a few times." Later he asked James, struggling to keep a straight face: "So, what do you think of this NBA stuff?"

Anthony's only previous encounter with Bird came the previous July, at summer league. So he knew what to expect. At a magazine shoot later in the day, perhaps identifying with Bird's understated manner, Anthony knew that it required some arm-twisting to convene all four of them for a chat.

"Bird's bashful," Melo said.

The Revelation
Gray opened proceedings by telling the invitees why they were summoned to such a remote location.

"We're here because you guys are all linked," Gray said. "You're linked together. When you say Magic, people think of Bird. When you say Carmelo, what comes in someone's head? It's LeBron."

As a group, they went on to discuss the genesis and current state of their rivalries, the pressures of leadership and the importance of stamping a career with an NBA championship. Magic also gave LeBron a lecture, on and off camera, about taking an active role in USA Basketball's attempt to assemble a roster for the Athens Olympics.

"I know you're young, but I want you to do this," Magic said. "Pick up the phone, call the guys that you want to play with. Call them up personally. That's what I did. I made (Bird) play. ... Michael Jordan wasn't gonna play, (so) I was calling him, bugging him. ... If you want Shaq, pick up the phone and call him and put pressure on him."

Yet the undisputed highlight came when Bird -- after Magic scolded Larry for inferring that "he's not in that same breath as Michael and myself" -- introduced race into the conversation.

Earlier, Bird crossed into some sensitive territory when he said the league needed more white superstars.

"I think it's good for a fan base, because, as we all know, the majority of the fans are white America," Bird said. "And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."

Bird was just warming up.

"The one thing that always bothered me when I played in the NBA was I really got irritated when they put a white guy on me," Bird said. "I still don't understand why. A white guy would come out (and) I would always ask him: 'What, do you have a problem with your coach? Did your coach do this to you?' And he'd go, 'No,' and I'd say, 'Come on, you got a white guy coming out here to guard me; you got no chance.' For some reason, that always bothered me when I was playing against a white guy."

"Disrespect," Magic said.

Said Bird: "Yeah, disrespect."

The Conclusion
Big surprise: It was the point guard who insisted that the four of them belonged together, in spite of the protests heard during the season that the rookies were being rushed into the same sentence.

It was Magic who pointed out how LeBron and 'Melo even have their own Outgoing vs. Soft-Spoken dynamic.

"It's funny because, I'm just sitting here, and we've spent time together, but not this much time," Magic said. "If you look at all four of us, personality-wise, we're close (Magic and LeBron) and they're close (Bird and Anthony). It's really funny. They're quiet, and we like to talk. So I'm sitting here saying (that) we mirror each other. So I see now why you sat us all down together, because we are definitely like each other in so many different ways."

You can judge for yourself Thursday night at 7 p.m. ET.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here. Also, click here to send a question for possible use on ESPNEWS.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 12:14:56 PM »
I agree with Bird, what he was trying to say anyway, but I'm tired of discussing this topic with irrational idiots so I figured I bring it here and hope no Spurs fans respond.
I take offense to that....I am a RATIONAL idiot.  Unlike those who see things only through the purple & gold smog.

But I agree with Bird also.  A couple of white superstars would help bring back many white fans who are being turned off by the ghetto image of many stars now.  And the closest we come to that is foreigners....Peja, Manu, Dirk.  But none of these guys can capture the American public the way Bird did.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

rickortreat

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 12:45:35 PM »
Bird was just telling it the way it is.  Although I'm not turned off by seeing a bunch of Black guys playing.  As long as it's good basketball they could be purple for all I care about race.

Rather than seeing the league have more white guys who can't play,  I'd rather the league worried about bringing players into the league before they're ready, and making sure that these kids have a sense of responsibility.

Nothing pisses me off than a rich guy abusing his privelages or his position.  Shawn Kemp is an asswipe for haveing so many children by so many different women.  Yeah, he's a great role model!  One of the most dissapointing things to me as a fan was when I found I Dr. J had a child with another woman.  Great ballplayer, somewhat lacking in morality.  Way to go Kobe!  

The only problem I have is that hardly any of these guys are good role models.  Duncan and KG come to mind as exceptions to the rule.  Doesn't make any difference what color they are, remember Jason Kidd's domestic problems?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 01:45:43 PM »
Doesn't make any difference what color they are, remember Jason Kidd's domestic problems?

Not that it makes any difference, but Jason Kidd is half black, I believe.

And Dr. J had 2 out-of-wedlock kids.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 04:03:14 PM »
I look at varying statements of Bird's and react in different ways.

"I think it's good for a fan base, because, as we all know, the majority of the fans are white America," Bird said. "And if you just had a couple of white guys in there, you might get them a little excited. But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever. I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American."

I agree that the majority of the fan base is white.  I agree that more white players (at the top level) might get the fan base a bit more excited.  

Does no one see the problem there?  I do.  It's essentially saying, "the reason for a white fan to cheer for a player is because he's white."  It's giving in to the idea that you have to have white players to appeal to white fans.

Now, I'll admit, there's some truth to that.  Some people won't cheer for a basketball player unless he's white.  And I'll admit freely that much of the "ghetto" culture of so many of these millionaires is a turnoff for me.  But that cuts both ways.  I don't like the "ghetto culture" of a player like Jason Williams any more than I like it coming from Allen Iverson.

I like Tim Duncan's attitude because he carries himself with a level of respect.  I like Kevin Garnett's attitude because he shows respect to others.  Folks like Rasheed Wallace, Bonzi Wells, etc. show no respect to anyone, and of course, it's no surprise that I don't like their attitudes.

Kevin Garnett probably shows better than anyone that it's okay to be respectful and still be a great player.  Heck, Shaq shows the same thing (when he's not talking about basketball).  These aren't "whitened" players.  These are people who understand something about how to treat their fellow man.  Ditto with folks like LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony.  It has nothing to do with their color.

When Bird says, "But it is a black man's game, and it will be forever," I can't disagree more - unless "Jimmy the Greek" was right about his "breeding" comments years ago.  This is an athlete's game.  The more athletic player has a huge edge.  But the game is more than about mere athleticism.  Players like Brian Cardinal make it into the league and make valuable contributions because they've been gym-rats their entire lives and have LEARNED the game.  The game is made better by players who play with heart and with hustle and leave their all on the court, regardless of their skin tone.  There's a REASON I cheer for Darrell Armstrong rather than Luke Ridnour, and it's the same reason I cheer for Matt Harpring rather than Antoine Walker.  In my opinion, Larry Bird sells the entire league - and its fanbase short with this statement.

When Bird says, "I mean, the greatest athletes in the world are African-American," if he wants me to STEREOTYPE, then I agree with him.  Then again, I don't have a problem with stereotyping people.  I think stereotypes are very useful in our day-to-day lives.  What I have a problem with is classifying a person as inferior in some way because of that stereotype.

"The one thing that always bothered me when I played in the NBA was I really got irritated when they put a white guy on me," Bird said. "I still don't understand why. A white guy would come out (and) I would always ask him: 'What, do you have a problem with your coach? Did your coach do this to you?' And he'd go, 'No,' and I'd say, 'Come on, you got a white guy coming out here to guard me; you got no chance.' For some reason, that always bothered me when I was playing against a white guy."

Hmm.  Did he find it disrespectful when Billy Cunningham put Bobby Jones on him, I wonder?  Would he have been offended had someone put Kevin McHale on him in practice?  Given the fact that of all the highlights I've seen of Bird screw-ups, it's normally Jones covering him, I'm afraid I'm not with Bird on this one.

Magic, I think, hit the nail on the head better.  It wasn't about the color of the skin as much as about "disrespect."  Give Magic a choice of being guarded by John Stockton or by Howard Eisley, and ask him which is more disrespectful to him.  It's not about the color of the skin - it's about the caliber of the player.

Personally, I think Bird is speaking in stereotypes - and it's a language I'm comfortable with.  I feel that I understand what he is TRYING to say, which is far from the literal translation of the same words.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 04:24:11 PM »
Joe Id love to defend the Big Fella and say he shows respect and isnt thugish...........but he has a new "diss track" on the radio to an little known rapper in VA known as Mad Skillz.  There he uses the n-word, talks about smacking up guys, and other "thugish" like comments.

As far as getting more white into the league to get more white people to watch.  Thats a load of bs and exactly why there is still heavy race problems in this country.  If you are a fan of the game you should like whoever gets the job done.  Not someone who shares the same pigment.  Bird has a point........because we have so many racists that feel that way.  Sad but very very true.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 04:25:21 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 04:27:54 PM »
Can't say that i saved it, but SI did an article years ago attempting to get to the bottom of why in athletics Blacks generally jump much higher then whites and thus 80% NBA is Black yet population of U.S. is about 10% Black.

Various points but one was of a study that showed that Blacks bones were just as if not stronger yet weighed less.  Bone density.

Hey Im just going by memorie but that was the jist of it.

I know one Black who got offended by it, thinking that it was a dis on his playing ability.  

While of course one has to have skill, i think the study may be perfectly valid.
Skill helps but so do mad hops.

If you take two players of exact talent level but one can hop 30% higher then the other, guess what, in hoop the advantage would go to the 30% more person.
Im talking equal talent don't "John Stockton" me here.  How much better would Johny Stockton be if he had 30% more hop with the same skills?

Ditto with Speed.  Look at the NFL who the majority of your burners are, DBs, RBs, Olympic sprinters.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 04:45:45 PM »
Makes me think back to the infamous Jimmy the Greek comment. Was that comment really "racist?  Hmmm...
Paul

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 07:22:15 PM »
Makes me think back to the infamous Jimmy the Greek comment. Was that comment really "racist?  Hmmm...
IMO no.
In fact he got snookered by the media person, if I'm not mistaken the guy didnt even I.D. himself as media but played the role of Mr. Nice Guy at the restraunt who was just shooting the breeze with Greek.  

Points for tact for Greek?  Ummn no.  
Accuracy of Greeks comments?  Sad but true?

I think in this day and age athelets and announcers know that sneaky media people are the norm.  Policy now for a lot of athletes is here is MY (the althletes or announcers) tape recorder, I'll turn it on when the interview starts and when i turn it off the interview is done and you (the media interviewer) are gone.  Got it?

sf101 i know you are probably just baiting and are going to tell a helecopter story now but nonetheless......

Guest_Randy

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 07:34:20 PM »
Why are we even talking about this issue (okay, I know -- Bird said it and we have to rehash it) but why do we see in colors?  Why can't we just talk about great players without having to determine what color they are?  Are we saying that one race is more dominant?  I hope not -- that would be a HUGE mistake!  Race has little to do with this issue, IMO, it has a LOT more to do with the fact that most white kids don't stay out playing ball for 8+ hours every night because, like mine, he has to do his homework, read and practice his violin -- all of which allows him 2 hours of free time each night if he's lucky!  He likes playing ball but he isn't looking at sports as his opportunity to "make it rich" or "make his mark."  These issues, IMO, have a LOT more to do with the percentage of black vs. white NBA players today.  I, personally, think we would be a LOT better seeing people as individuals rather than of a particular race.  

I will say that I DO have a problem with social problems -- some of which Dan pointed out earlier today.  I don't have a problem with race -- I do have a problem with people who feel like the world is owed to them just because they play a stupid sport (or for any other reason -- star in a movie, etc.).  I don't believe ANY star has the right to feel entitled.  I believe we should respect each other too -- I even believe I should respect Spurs fans (real ones anyway) -- it's just that it's easier to respect them when the Lakers win!   :rolleyes:  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 12:52:27 AM »
Jesus H. Christ, some of you people live in fairytale land.

It's been proven race plays a part in NBA revenues.  It's been proven that race plays a role in fan attraction.  Also nationality plays a big role.  A racist America got behind a black Joe Lewis? when he fought the German heavyweight in the 40's.

Back in the 50's the NBA was a white mans sport.  Blacks were not interested in the NBA when they could just go down to the local gym and see better players.  The then NBA instituted a policy of requiring blacks on teams to draw the black fan.  Now the reverse has happened, they need more white players to attract white fans.  And not any more Mark Madsens or Calibrini's, sure they get a local following but not a broad market appeal.  If Dirk or Nash was American born

Why white?  Because they make and spend more money is why, plus the NBA hasn't caught on to the 600+ BILLION hispanic market.  People tend to be fans of people they can relate too, race and country of origin have alot to do with it.  Almost everyone I know who's hispanic knows who Edwardo Najera is but none of them know who Raef Lafrentz is nor do they know who Tayshaun Prince is.

It's just human nature and to deny that is ignorance, I'm too tired and PO'd to get into details about this subject but Bird is dead on, he just didn't state it very well.  Sorry but this is not Star Trek and we are not the United Federation of Planets.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 12:02:44 PM »
Jesus H. Christ, some of you people live in fairytale land.

It's been proven race plays a part in NBA revenues.  It's been proven that race plays a role in fan attraction.  Also nationality plays a big role.  A racist America got behind a black Joe Lewis? when he fought the German heavyweight in the 40's.

Back in the 50's the NBA was a white mans sport.  Blacks were not interested in the NBA when they could just go down to the local gym and see better players.  The then NBA instituted a policy of requiring blacks on teams to draw the black fan.  Now the reverse has happened, they need more white players to attract white fans.  And not any more Mark Madsens or Calibrini's, sure they get a local following but not a broad market appeal.  If Dirk or Nash was American born

Why white?  Because they make and spend more money is why, plus the NBA hasn't caught on to the 600+ BILLION hispanic market.  People tend to be fans of people they can relate too, race and country of origin have alot to do with it.  Almost everyone I know who's hispanic knows who Edwardo Najera is but none of them know who Raef Lafrentz is nor do they know who Tayshaun Prince is.

It's just human nature and to deny that is ignorance, I'm too tired and PO'd to get into details about this subject but Bird is dead on, he just didn't state it very well.  Sorry but this is not Star Trek and we are not the United Federation of Planets.
WOW, I think this is interesting -- I tell you that I a HUGE NBA fans and I go to games (would go to more if I had more time) -- along with my friends (who also just happen to be white) and we have favorites on our teams and in the NBA and we usually pick those by how they play -- not by what color they are.  When I look around, I see a TON of white people there -- and I've yet to hear ONE of them mention the fact that they just can't "get into" the game of basketball because we don't have any great white basketball players in the league (okay, white American basketball players).  

The drop in interest in the NBA today has a lot more to do with a lot of other issues than it does the color of basketball players, IMO.  The lack of fundamentals of the game, the attitudes of players (self-entitlement of players who are making millions of dollars and telling their fans that they don't give a ___________ what their fans think, millionaires who come right out of college and have to develop their game at the pro level, etc.).  It's more of a lack of ability to relate and/or respect these players than it is of their color, IMO.  I can't relate with many players in the NBA today and unfortunately, it seems that there are WAYYY too few that I can respect.  This IS something that I have discussed with my "white" friends -- I don't feel that the average NBA player respects their fans at all -- and it's hard to pay that much money for tickets, concessions, parking, to go support players who don't respect you.  The NBA currently has an image problem and that is a bigger problem, IMO, than the white/black issue.  After reading your post, I would almost come to the conclusion that it seems the race issue is bigger with other ethnicities than it is with whites.  With me, and others like me, race doesn't play a factor -- their attitude and/or lifestyle (i.e. constant brushes with the law, barfights, drug busts, etc.) does.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 01:24:06 PM »
Wrong Randy.

Males 18-45 are the prized marketing segment in the US.  Within that group whites are the cream of the crop because of their income and spending habits.  That's who the NBA wants but that's not who the NBA's getting.  How do you explain JWills jersey being the 2nd most popular in 2000, second only to the most dominant regular season player of all time Shaq?  How do you explain Mark Madsen being told by more than ONE NBA GM that he would have a solid carreer because he was white?  How many SORRY players who hustle and are white become fan favorites?  How many black?

The NBA AND HBO did a marketing study to prove those tendencies.

If you don't believe me just look at boxing, see how the majority of fans are split amoungst fighters.  Of course you have your cross over athletes but there is a base theme as far as who cheers for who.

Larry Bird was not talking about anyone in particular, just the overall fan group.  Your segment may or may not fall into that catagory, I think they do based on some ignorant comments you've made in the past.  Your LIMITED test group is not the end all study, not to mention some of your OTHER ignorant comments in the past back up my belief of your sheltered life.

No offense to you Randy but some of your viewpoints not relating to b-ball show you have very limited exposure to a diverse world.  I still love ya!  :cheers:  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 01:43:07 PM »
Wrong Randy.

Males 18-45 are the prized marketing segment in the US.  Within that group whites are the cream of the crop because of their income and spending habits.  That's who the NBA wants but that's not who the NBA's getting.  How do you explain JWills jersey being the 2nd most popular in 2000, second only to the most dominant regular season player of all time Shaq?  How do you explain Mark Madsen being told by more than ONE NBA GM that he would have a solid carreer because he was white?  How many SORRY players who hustle and are white become fan favorites?  How many black?

If you don't believe me just look at boxing, see how the majority of fans are split amoungst fighters.  Of course you have your cross over athletes but there is a base theme as far as who cheers for who.

Larry Bird was not talking about anyone in particular, just the overall fan group.  Your segment may or may not fall into that catagory, I think they do based on some ignorant comments you've made in the past.  Your LIMITED test group is not the end all study, not to mention some of your OTHER ignorant comments in the past back up my belief of your sheltered life.

No offense to you Randy but some of your viewpoints not relating to b-ball show you have very limited exposure to a diverse world.  I still love ya!  :cheers:
Can you say "Reggie Evans," wow?  He is a fan favorite here because he hustles -- that is his ENTIRE game!  

No offense to you Randy but some of your viewpoints not relating to b-ball show you have very limited exposure to a diverse world.  I still love ya!  :cheers:

Hey, WOW, you not only critiqued me in the comment but many of my "white" friends who also live in my "white picket fence world" and we are ALL primary candidates of who the NBA is going to buy jerseys from.  I WON'T buy an NBA jersey for myself -- I find that kind of silly.  I WILL buy an NBA jersey (actually ANOTHER NBA jersey for my son because he has outgrown his and he currently wants either a Kobe jersey or a Lakers jersey that he can put his own name on -- I'm making him pay for part of it which is why I haven't had to pay for it yet, lol).  I think it's quite humorous that you make these comments:  1) the NBA is trying to market to white males 18-45 (which is me and all of my friends) and then 2) tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to expressing my views when they aren't just my views but the views of my friends who are THE target audience.  I really don't care whether you think I'm sheltered or what -- I grew up in the midwest and quite enjoyed it but it's pretty humorous when the NBA is trying to market to ME and then you start telling me that I don't know what "me" is!  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004, 01:49:29 PM »
Wrong Randy.

Males 18-45 are the prized marketing segment in the US.  Within that group whites are the cream of the crop because of their income and spending habits.  That's who the NBA wants but that's not who the NBA's getting.  How do you explain JWills jersey being the 2nd most popular in 2000, second only to the most dominant regular season player of all time Shaq?  How do you explain Mark Madsen being told by more than ONE NBA GM that he would have a solid carreer because he was white?  How many SORRY players who hustle and are white become fan favorites?  How many black?

If you don't believe me just look at boxing, see how the majority of fans are split amoungst fighters.  Of course you have your cross over athletes but there is a base theme as far as who cheers for who.

Larry Bird was not talking about anyone in particular, just the overall fan group.  Your segment may or may not fall into that catagory, I think they do based on some ignorant comments you've made in the past.  Your LIMITED test group is not the end all study, not to mention some of your OTHER ignorant comments in the past back up my belief of your sheltered life.

No offense to you Randy but some of your viewpoints not relating to b-ball show you have very limited exposure to a diverse world.  I still love ya!  :cheers:
Can you say "Reggie Evans," wow?  He is a fan favorite here because he hustles -- that is his ENTIRE game!  

Hey, WOW, you not only critiqued me in the comment but many of my "white" friends who also live in my "white picket fence world" and we are ALL primary candidates of who the NBA is going to buy jerseys from.  I WON'T buy an NBA jersey for myself -- I find that kind of silly.  I WILL buy an NBA jersey (actually ANOTHER NBA jersey for my son because he has outgrown his and he currently wants either a Kobe jersey or a Lakers jersey that he can put his own name on -- I'm making him pay for part of it which is why I haven't had to pay for it yet, lol).  I think it's quite humorous that you make these comments:  1) the NBA is trying to market to white males 18-45 (which is me and all of my friends) and then 2) tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to expressing my views when they aren't just my views but the views of my friends who are THE target audience.  I really don't care whether you think I'm sheltered or what -- I grew up in the midwest and quite enjoyed it but it's pretty humorous when the NBA is trying to market to ME and then you start telling me that I don't know what "me" is!
Obviously reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Please re-read the post so I don't have to connect the dots for you.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"