Author Topic: Expansion draft  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Expansion draft
« on: June 09, 2004, 11:07:47 AM »
Rose will be available to Charlotte in expansion draft
Web Posted: 06/09/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

Malik Rose hasn't seen the list of players the Spurs plan to protect in this month's expansion draft for Charlotte, but he knows one name that won't be on it.

His own.

"It's like a mathematics problem," Rose said. "They have to leave a certain number of players off to protect a certain amount of players. ... They have to protect the guys they think are going to help them the most. And I'm not going to be on that list."

Teams have until the end of the week to submit up to eight players they wish to protect in the draft, which will be held either June 22 or 23. Charlotte can select no more than one player from each of the other 29 teams, but must choose at least 14 total players.

The Spurs plan to protect Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Rasho Nesterovic, Devin Brown and restricted free agents Manu Ginobili and Hedo Turkoglu. Bruce Bowen also is expected to be protected unless he notifies the Spurs by Thursday — the day the team's list is mailed to the league — he is not exercising his $4 million option for next season. Bowen can officially take until the end of the month to decide whether to become a free agent.

Alex Garcia, who, like Matt Carroll, has a non-guaranteed contract for next season, remains a candidate to be protected. The Spurs do not plan to pick up Robert Horry's $5 million option for next season, but can choose to protect him, if only for flexibility. Charlie Ward has yet to tell the Spurs whether he will exercise his $1.1 million option for next season, but he figures to be exposed in the draft, regardless.

Unsigned draft picks and unrestricted free agents are ineligible for the expansion draft, so Luis Scola, the Argentine power forward selected by the Spurs in the second round two years ago, does not have to be protected.

Rose was not surprised when Spurs coach Gregg Popovich told him in his exit interview at the end of the season that he would be exposed in the expansion draft. The team, which would like to rid itself of the remaining five seasons and $32.8 million on Rose's contract, was minutes away from trading him in February to New York for Kurt Thomas.

Rose, who has clashed with Popovich during parts of the previous few years, was out of the team's regular rotation for much of the past season. He totaled only 27 minutes during the Spurs' loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference semifinals though Horry struggled for much of the six-game series.

"That was one of the greatest moments in my life," Rose said of the seven-year, $42 million contract he signed less than two years ago, "and it's turned out to be a huge thorn in my side for certain reasons."

It also could help keep him from being selected in the expansion draft. Charlotte officials have repeatedly said they do not want to take veteran players who have contracts that would compromise the franchise's future salary-cap room. If Charlotte does draft Rose, it likely will be to re-route him to another team.

Teams also are allowed to make deals with Charlotte to select (or not select) unprotected players.

"Everybody knows I want to be here," Rose said Tuesday while signing autographs for patients at Christus Santa Rosa Children's Hospital, "so we'll see what happens.

"The bottom line is no matter how much Pop and I have disagreed, we both want to win. If he does get rid of me, it's because he's trying to win and he thinks there's someone else who can help him more."

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Expansion draft
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 11:27:17 AM »
Pop makes me  :puke:  sometimes.
Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Expansion draft
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 11:35:49 AM »
Pop makes me  :puke:  sometimes.
Im not even a Spurs fan (although I enjoy watching them play) and this makes me want to :puke: also.  How can you get rid of a guy who not only is a great player off the bench, a great rebounder, a solid defender, one of the only post players who does a decent job on Shaq for his size, brings a huge amount of energy, one of the best in the league at hustle plays, and was apart of 2 of your championship teams in the last 6 years.

Did I mention I like him as a player quite a bit?  101, you seen the roster of who they protected over him yet?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 11:36:16 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Expansion draft
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 12:11:18 PM »
Did I mention I like him as a player quite a bit?  101, you seen the roster of who they protected over him yet?
Don't any of you Laker fans have reading comprehension skills?????

The Spurs plan to protect Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Rasho Nesterovic, Devin Brown and restricted free agents Manu Ginobili and Hedo Turkoglu. Bruce Bowen also is expected to be protected.

Alex Garcia, who, like Matt Carroll, has a non-guaranteed contract for next season, remains a candidate to be protected. The Spurs do not plan to pick up Robert Horry's $5 million option for next season, but can choose to protect him, if only for flexibility. Charlie Ward has yet to tell the Spurs whether he will exercise his $1.1 million option for next season, but he figures to be exposed in the draft, regardless.

It seems that Pop is tired of fighting with Rose.  I agree that he is a top energy player off the bench and an important front court player.  But if you don't see eye to eye with the coach/president of operations then you aren't around long for that team.  Especially with the Spurs not picking up Horry's contract for next year this leaves them with no backup at the 4/5 positions.  The Spurs have the rights to a 2nd rounder from last year from Argentina named Luis Scola but he is unproven in the NBA.  Hopefully Pop has someone else in mind to help at the power spots.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Expansion draft
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 12:24:36 PM »
Did I mention I like him as a player quite a bit?  101, you seen the roster of who they protected over him yet?

The Spurs plan to protect Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Rasho Nesterovic, Devin Brown and restricted free agents Manu Ginobili and Hedo Turkoglu. Bruce Bowen also is expected to be protected.

It seems that Pop is tired of fighting with Rose.  I agree that he is a top energy player off the bench and an important front court player.  But if you don't see eye to eye with the coach/president of operations then you aren't around long for that team.  Especially with the Spurs not picking up Horry's contract for next year this leaves them with no backup at the 4/5 positions.  The Spurs have the rights to a 2nd rounder from last year from Argentina named Luis Scola but he is unproven in the NBA.  Hopefully Pop has someone else in mind to help at the power spots.
Out here in LA LA Land we have assistants for everything.  Since my reading assistant stepped out and I wasnt suppose to be screwing around on the Internet I was unable to read the article.

Players shouldn't constantly argue with their coaches but I do believe Rose had a legit gripe about Pop's choice to put in Horry, who did nothing but give hard fouls, over him in the playoffs.  Especially when they are playing a team he normally does very well against.

Guest_Randy

Expansion draft
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 03:01:52 PM »
Did I mention I like him as a player quite a bit?  101, you seen the roster of who they protected over him yet?

Lurker,

I guess I'm wondering why Rose was such a great addition last year but in Pop's doghouse this year?  Remember, Pop isn't just the coach but he has his hands in the GM mix as well and Rose wouldn't have GOTTEN that contract without Pop's approval and then?  This year he's a troublemaker?  

Come on, Lurker, look through those Spurs goggles and see that the reason why Rose is in Pop's doghouse is because of Robert Horry -- and IF Pop felt that way why didn't he trade him?  There would be a TON of teams who would love to add Rose to their roster (and the Spurs would actually GET something for him as well).  Pop blew it with Rose.   :nod:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Expansion draft
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 03:07:16 PM »

Lurker,

I guess I'm wondering why Rose was such a great addition last year but in Pop's doghouse this year?  Remember, Pop isn't just the coach but he has his hands in the GM mix as well and Rose wouldn't have GOTTEN that contract without Pop's approval and then?  This year he's a troublemaker?  

Come on, Lurker, look through those Spurs goggles and see that the reason why Rose is in Pop's doghouse is because of Robert Horry -- and IF Pop felt that way why didn't he trade him?  There would be a TON of teams who would love to add Rose to their roster (and the Spurs would actually GET something for him as well).  Pop blew it with Rose.   :nod:
Or at least admit that Pop mad a horrible decision by playing Robert Horry too many minutes during the year and then not replacing him for a fresher, younger, stronger Malik Rose.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Expansion draft
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 03:17:01 PM »
Actually Horry didn't beat Rose out for playing time until AFTER Rose came back from an injury.  Robert was playing well and Rose was struggling.  Horry's minutes weren't that high until the playoffs when the rotation shortened.

Rose's problems stem from when he came back from injury he pushed too hard to make things happen on the court.  Unfortunately many times it was negative things....silly fouls, turnovers, being out of position, taking ill advised shots, etc.  

As far as trading Rose....Pop did everything he could to move him before the deadline.  In fact reports in both the NY and SA papers had a Rose for Thomas deal done but Dolan (NY's top dog) vetoed the deal.  My guess is that Charlotte will pass on his salary in the draft and Pop will find a trade this summer.

If Charlotte picks an unprotected Spur my bet is Charlie Ward.  Veteran point with a low salary.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

Expansion draft
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 04:58:29 PM »
Actually, I  :eek2:  agree with you Lurker -- Charlotte ISN'T going to spend any money on it's squad.  They are going to pick up cheap prospects and just put together a team -- no what's sad?  This just might make them better than Atlanta next year.

jn

Expansion draft
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 05:05:32 PM »
I pity the Charlotte fans.   They had great attendance year after year even after the team became a loser and the fact the owner is a complete lowlife.  Now they have to sit through and expansion team and believe me, that is no fun.  Sometimes I still have nightmares of Sid Lowe walking the ball up and dishing to Felton Spencer.  

Guest_Randy

Expansion draft
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 07:36:58 PM »
And in today's league you have to draft high school students and wait for them to mature -- it's not a good sign for the Bobcats (okay, in the beginning they will live up to their name -- sorry but someone needs to tell management that the Bobcat mascot just ISN'T a scary one -- not that it has to be, I don't think that the "jazz" or the "lakers" mascots scare anyone.  I just think that the bobcats sounds like it belongs to an elementary school -- oh, that's because it IS the mascot of my kids elementary school!).

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Expansion draft
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 10:06:56 AM »
you guys are missing the point on Malik being traded.  the Spurs need to clear cap room to singn other players, manu is already set to be resigned i believe but the Spurs are also going to try and buy our Luis Scola's contract so they can bring him in to play with Tim.  Scola is the argentine that gave Jermaine Oneal fits, and in turn helped to BEAT, that dream team - they compare this guys to a elton brand, maybe better - this guy would be an upgrade on malik - and for less money.  although Horry let us down in the playoffs, i think Pop may try to work something out with him.  i thinkit is a HUGE mistake to try and keep hedo, a total waste of money, i finally read an article {probably in SI) that says the spurs should go after stepehn jackson this summer.  i think Jackson would be an awesome addition to our team, much better then hedo.  considering jackons was atlanta's lone scorer after shareef left, he still scored 30+ points per game in that time and i think that has really helped his game.  I think he is mature enough to come back, he can play pops defense, AND shoot, we wouldnt have to waste our time babying him like they have to with hedo.  I hope Pop starts listenning and doesnt shut the door on Jackson, it would be a huge mistake..
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Expansion draft
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2004, 10:31:16 AM »
Trading Rose wouldn't free up cap space unless the contract they took back was an ending one (Kurt Thomas' contract wasn't).

Horry won't be brought back at his current contract ($5+ mil) because of cap space issues.  However I wouldn't be surprised for Pop to offer him a vet's minimum after all other moves are made.

Pop has liked Hedo for several years and tried to trade for him a couple years ago.  The Spurs will match any reasonable offer that he gets (translation:no more than mid level exception) and may try to work a sign & trade for higher numbers.

Manu will be back unless someone offers him superstar level money.  My guess is that Pop will go as high as $7-8 mil.  Parker will get offered an extension as soon as he is eligible....again in the $7-8 mil range.

Jackson would have to be happy coming off the bench if he came back and I don't see that happening.  To many other teams are looking for a sg to start.   And Pop wouldn't offer him any more than he did last summer....$10 mil over 3 years.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Expansion draft
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2004, 12:32:59 PM »
Trading Rose wouldn't free up cap space unless the contract they took back was an ending one (Kurt Thomas' contract wasn't).

Horry won't be brought back at his current contract ($5+ mil) because of cap space issues.  However I wouldn't be surprised for Pop to offer him a vet's minimum after all other moves are made.

Pop has liked Hedo for several years and tried to trade for him a couple years ago.  The Spurs will match any reasonable offer that he gets (translation:no more than mid level exception) and may try to work a sign & trade for higher numbers.

Manu will be back unless someone offers him superstar level money.  My guess is that Pop will go as high as $7-8 mil.  Parker will get offered an extension as soon as he is eligible....again in the $7-8 mil range.

Jackson would have to be happy coming off the bench if he came back and I don't see that happening.  To many other teams are looking for a sg to start.   And Pop wouldn't offer him any more than he did last summer....$10 mil over 3 years.
Lurker, putting malik into the expansion draft is NOT trading him, therefore, yes cap space would be freed if charlotte decides to select him...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Expansion draft
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 01:14:59 PM »
X3....your first stmt in prior post:
you guys are missing the point on Malik being traded.

I was referring to this statement.

As far as Charlotte taking Rose; it ain't gonna happen.   They have to take a minimum of 14 players.  And no more than one from any team.  They have stated repeatedly that they are not going to eat up their cap on bad contracts.  If they pick a Spur then Ward is a much better fit at 1 year for $1.2 mil than Rose at 5 years and $32 mil.  Rose will be back next year unless Pop can trade him over the summer.
-Moody Blues